• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures as an anime - How would it work? (Spoilers)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Demon Slayer is absolutely fantastic, and the animation is a huge part of my love for it. It’s just so gorgeous all of the time, and it’s partially helped by the unique art style, which is really well-utilized. Because it’s so stylized, everything flows so well. Spe already has a style similar to it in terms of how creative and unique it is, so a studio like Ufotable would know how to handle an adaption well. That near flawless 3D camera they use would make that scene look perfect tbh.

I’m the opposite lol. But here’s a list of VA’s I personally feel would be great:

• Red- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka (most recently Inosuke, actually) fits Red like a glove; he’d be a perfect casting choice.
• Green- Nobuhiko Okamoto is the perfect choice for him. He already voices Gladion, so hypothetically I don’t know if that’d work, but listening to him just instantly makes me think of Green. Kaito Ishikawa would be good too.
• Blue- Haruka Tomatsu would be my pick; her genderbent Gintoki sounds just like how I’d imagine Blue to sound.
• Yellow- Ari Ozawa would be so fitting, as her voice can flip-flip between a bit boyish (Kurumi from School Live, Sakura from Nozaki-Kun) and very cutesy (Hina from BanG Dream, Wakaba in Wakaba Girl), which is necessary for Yellow. I’d also love to see Aya Uchida voice her, if you know Kotori from Love Live you’d see why.
You know what would be awesome? Okay look at this poster.

0fd2298f-s.jpg

This is the Studio Trigger poster of their movie, Promare and just look at the big focus on these two looking them dead in the eye, invading each other's personal space? It looks like a heating rivalry right? A competition or great incoming battle right? Now imagine that but for Pokemon Adventures, it's Red and his rival Green. Maybe Red looks annoyed like the blue-haired guy but Green shows off a cocky slight smile, implying "I'm better than you." to Red. Now why this for a potential poster of an animated Pokemon Adventures series? Easy! Red & Green's rivalry is a major plot of the very first story arc and using this Promare poster as a basis for a Pokemon Adventures poster, you guys can see Red & Green in these exact same spots right? What about you guys? Any examples of anime posters to serve as a basis or example of a Pokemon Adventures anime poster? Personally I like the Digimon Tri posters implying a major role for each character and their partners called Digimon. Could you imagine something similar of Red's Pikachu having a staredown with Mewtwo? Oh man that would be some awesome stuff.

matt0044

One aspect I could think of is expand on certain moments and change certain things such as during the final battles. For one, Sapphire really should've gotten out of Wallace's car to help Ruby in the RS Chapter's finale. Maybe have her tag in after Courtney bites the dust. She is second billing in that arc so she should've had a bigger role.

Also maybe add foreshadowing of Celebi and why Ruby got a friggin' legendary. One he never showed off.

For the BW chapter, I feel that White could've faced Ghetsis before Black comes in after battling N and make it a two-on-one. It would be a considerable overhaul but it felt like Kusaka was sorta glossing over her in order to finish the story. Plus, Black's team would've been more weary and near the help White could provide at the time.

shoz999

It just hit me. You know in the Ash & Co. anime where they also have a Pokedex that's essentially an exposition device to get a name and a brief description in quick hurry for every Pokemon they meet across. If a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation does happen, would they do the same for that too? To be honest, kind of seems odd because I'd imagine the "perfect" anime adaptation would be for well-knowledge fans who know enough the lore but on the other hand, it would place a bigger emphasis on the Pokedex's role in capturing data on Pokemon in all the story arcs. The idea of implementing the talking Pokedex is just so odd to me outside of the Rotomdex, I don't know how it could turn out if done. What do you guys think? It's really just extra filler dialogue for Pokemon fans well-aware on which Pokemon is which but such an Pokemon anime adaptation would also attract a new audience that's getting into Pokemon Adventures for the first time. Seems kind of annoying at first. Honestly the only reason I like the Rotomdex in the SMUSUM arc is that it actually plays a role in the story, the bigger mystery when it utters "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" lol, it's a Harry Potter reference. On the other hand, might not even be noticeable.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
It just hit me. You know in the Ash & Co. anime where they also have a Pokedex that's essentially an exposition device to get a name and a brief description in quick hurry for every Pokemon they meet across. If a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation does happen, would they do the same for that too? To be honest, kind of seems odd because I'd imagine the "perfect" anime adaptation would be for well-knowledge fans who know enough the lore but on the other hand, it would place a bigger emphasis on the Pokedex's role in capturing data on Pokemon in all the story arcs. The idea of implementing the talking Pokedex is just so odd to me outside of the Rotomdex, I don't know how it could turn out if done. What do you guys think? It's really just extra filler dialogue for Pokemon fans well-aware on which Pokemon is which but such an Pokemon anime adaptation would also attract a new audience that's getting into Pokemon Adventures for the first time. Seems kind of annoying at first. Honestly the only reason I like the Rotomdex in the SMUSUM arc is that it actually plays a role in the story, the bigger mystery when it utters "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" lol, it's a Harry Potter reference. On the other hand, might not even be noticeable.
It'd be weird for pokespe, but they could easily have the dex holder say something like "it says that *insert summarized version of dex entry here*"

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
It'd be weird for pokespe, but they could easily have the dex holder say something like "it says that *insert summarized version of dex entry here*"
Or just show it ?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Or just show it ?
For an animated show, a scene showing a bunch of text on screen would either be too fast to read it or too long that it feels like boring padding

Redstar45

For an animated show, a scene showing a bunch of text on screen would either be too fast to read it or too long that it feels like boring padding
But have characters talk about it could definitely be work but there is a risk to made it boring

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

And why would it be odd? The Pokédex is capable of generating the description of a Pokémon without Professor Oak (or any other professor) actually doing research. Why would a Siri function be out of place for a Pokédex?

shoz999

And why would it be odd? The Pokédex is capable of generating the description of a Pokémon without Professor Oak (or any other professor) actually doing research. Why would a Siri function be out of place for a Pokédex?
Exposition, especially how a lot of Pokemon often first appear in the heat of action may slow down faster action scenes. I guess I'm thinking too much of the Brockatosis problem.

Shadao

Exposition, especially how a lot of Pokemon often first appear in the heat of action may slow down faster action scenes. I guess I'm thinking too much of the Brockatosis problem.

Pokédex exposition gives us an idea of what Pokémon we are dealing with, and serves as a great way for newcomers to learn about Pokémon. They're quite useful for advertisement. Every comic is someone's first, after all. But I'm still confused by your concern. You know that the Adventures Pokédex data only plays out if a trainer catches a Pokémon. The anime Pokédex is already filled out (because it makes more sense for the Pokédex to be a guide for new trainers than completing an old man's errand). If the Pokédex data was to be added, it would happen after battle is over. And you know that one of the protagonist (aka Crystal) is tasked to catching 'em all for Oak to complete the Pokédex.

If you want Pokédex expositions not interrupting the flow of battle, you could always ask a Professor Oak's Lecture featured at the end of every episode.

Redstar45

Pokédex exposition gives us an idea of what Pokémon we are dealing with, and serves as a great way for newcomers to learn about Pokémon. They're quite useful for advertisement. Every comic is someone's first, after all. But I'm still confused by your concern. You know that the Adventures Pokédex data only plays out if a trainer catches a Pokémon. The anime Pokédex is already filled out (because it makes more sense for the Pokédex to be a guide for new trainers than completing an old man's errand). If the Pokédex data was to be added, it would happen after battle is over. And you know that one of the protagonist (aka Crystal) is tasked to catching 'em all for Oak to complete the Pokédex.

If you want Pokédex expositions not interrupting the flow of battle, you could always ask a Professor Oak's Lecture featured at the end of every episode.
Problem is that not everyone is wanted to watch end of episodes to Dr. okido talk show (?) To know more about da Pokemon? And didn't Zunkan copy of the Pokemon anime idea just use on getting info about Pokemon alright

Jeal

Every comic is someone's first, after all. But I'm still confused by your concern. You know that the Adventures Pokédex data only plays out if a trainer catches a Pokémon.
That's not true. The protagonists frequently use the pokedex's data to defeat wild pokémon.

shoz999

Fair enough, that's true however I think the Adventures Pokedex actually works when you just see a Pokemon. I recall this happening in Pokemon Adventures XY. On another note, I wonder how the Pokedex would be displayed in an anime adaptation, especially in the 3D era of Pokemon because in the Pokemon Adventures manga, the Pokedex is literally based off of the game's version right down to that classic black & white spritework and by the time of XY, it reaches to 3D models so it got me thinking. Would an anime adaptation use brand new "spritework" of Pokemon to fit in an anime adaptation or would they just copy and past the spritework from the games, including the 3D models that actually breathe and move in the 3D games.

Redstar45

Fair enough, that's true however I think the Adventures Pokedex actually works when you just see a Pokemon. I recall this happening in Pokemon Adventures XY. On another note, I wonder how the Pokedex would be displayed in an anime adaptation, especially in the 3D era of Pokemon because in the Pokemon Adventures manga, the Pokedex is literally based off of the game's version right down to that classic black & white spritework and by the time of XY, it reaches to 3D models so it got me thinking. Would an anime adaptation use brand new "spritework" of Pokemon to fit in an anime adaptation or would they just copy and past the spritework from the games, including the 3D models that actually breathe and move in the 3D games.
Or do same thing in anime show use the anime look in zunkan ? That happened in the Pokemon origin

Shadao

That's not true. The protagonists frequently use the pokedex's data to defeat wild pokémon.

What I refer to is the fact that the Pokédex will not have any data on a Pokémon unless you catch said Pokémon. But in regards to using Pokédex's data to defeat wild Pokémon, it greatly depends on the situation. Sometimes, it's just as easy as reading a book out loud. Just ask Jessie when she's trying to find moves for Wobbuffet.

It must have been a subtle retcon to give newer protagonists information on Pokémon without the need to catch it then, making it more like the Pokémon anime.

As for Pokédex "spritework," I think it'll be easier to just copy and paste models rather than make new "spritework." Look at the original anime. Nearly all of the images used for the Pokémon anime are based on Ken Sugimori's official artwork.

shoz999

What I refer to is the fact that the Pokédex will not have any data on a Pokémon unless you catch said Pokémon. But in regards to using Pokédex's data to defeat wild Pokémon, it greatly depends on the situation. Sometimes, it's just as easy as reading a book out loud. Just ask Jessie when she's trying to find moves for Wobbuffet.

It must have been a subtle retcon to give newer protagonists information on Pokémon without the need to catch it then, making it more like the Pokémon anime.

As for Pokédex "spritework," I think it'll be easier to just copy and paste models rather than make new "spritework." Look at the original anime. Nearly all of the images used for the Pokémon anime are based on Ken Sugimori's official artwork.
I wonder if using the 3D spritework will remind some people of Digimon lol because how they use 3D animation to showcase information on some monsters.

Jeal

In the manga the pokedex gives data just being close to the pokémon.

pokemon_adventures_184_4.jpg

pokemon_adventures_184_5.jpg

shoz999

I bet some of you probably already know this but I just found this out recently and this was a surprising find. So one of the animators who worked on the Pokemon anime has actually done his own short test animation featuring characters from Pokemon Adventures. So I don't really know much about this guy but the animator is Masaaki Iwane and correct me if I'm wrong but he served as animation director for numerous episodes and is one of the people who worked on the animation of Mewtwo Returns, Pokemon Heroes and the Pokemon Ranger movie.

Here's the link. It's just test animation for a few seconds, no music, no voice-acting. It's pretty simple but you guys have to admit this is one of the smoothest animations to ever feature characters from the Adventures manga, especially considering that animation is not an easy task even in the growing digital age.

Furthermore, what's pretty interesting about this is that this is also a good example of how the art style of the manga does not always translate a 100% to the art style of animation. It's pretty good in capturing the look of the characters from the manga but you can also tell that it seems to blend facial features that you see in the Ash & Co. anime which honestly turned out much better than I'd imagine. Not only that but I think the test animation also gives a pretty good idea of what the artstyle could potentially look like if OLM, the guys behind the Ash & Co. anime, handled the adaptation, at the very least before the SM years and maybe even the BW years.

Last edited: