• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures as an anime - How would it work? (Spoilers)

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
290px-Red_Adventures_Running.png

The Pokemon Adventures manga! The action-packed, romance-teasing, tear-jerking, humor-filled, mind-boggling, mature but light-hearted adventures across the magic world of Pokemon where the plot-twisting mysteries are unfolded and the Pokemon battles are won through the power of teamwork and smart tactics! So with the recent news that Ash's journey could finally end, I've noticed a lot more Adventure fans speaking out their optimism of a possible Adventures anime adaptation happening but as a lot of people pointed out, this is probably just Ash getting a reboot but let's make a discussion of it anyway!

First off, remember were not here to discuss that a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation can't happen, were here to discuss what a Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation could be, how it could affect the series, the fans including Serebii.net itself. To get started, here's a summary of some points to get you guys thinking about this discussion.
  • Creative Differences, manga-to-anime adaptations are usually not a 1-to-1 adaptation.
  • Refinement and expansion of the manga's story. For example, there are a number of shorter and usually unimportant Pokemon battles that are short or happen off-screen for the flow of the story.
  • Censorship.
  • Potential Filler.
  • What are some scenes that you think would look amazing thanks to animation and music alone.
  • For music, think mostly GameFreak's selection of music.
  • For animation, also consider facial expressions. Pokemon Adventures has an array of different facial expressions.
  • An authentic adaptation of a past generation vs. an adaptation that includes more material from future generations. For example, a Gen 1 Pikachu that learns Grass Knot or Focus Blast to deal with ground-types would destroy the authenticity of a Gen 1 adaptation but it could improve certain battles like Red's Pikachu vs. Brock's Onix that is the result of Gen 1's experimental battle system at the time.
  • Pokemon Adventures approach as a Shonen Pokemon anime whose audience is ages 11 and up. Think E10 or PG.
  • The Pokemon Company's involvement.
  • Everyone is here! Including Porygon, how will the anime's Porygon controversy affect several Pokemon Adventure scenes featuring Porygon?
  • How can a good adaptation affect the audience of the original Ash & Co. anime? Will it have no effect? Will it attract their audience away?
  • An anime adaptation, good or bad, will improve the popularity of the Pokemon Adventures brand.
  • How would an anime adaptation affect the fanbase, including fans here on the Serebii forums?
  • Animation Budget.
  • Anime studio/crew to be in charge of such a project? Director? Writer? Animators?
  • A full-length series, OVA, animated web shorts, what kind of anime formats would you like to see?
  • Potential voice actors is a fun one! I think most of us can agree that English VA Todd Haberkon, the voice actor for Soul Eater's Death the Kid, would be perfect as Ruby.
Be aware of story spoilers and with that being said, how would a Pokemon Adventures Anime Adaptation work? How it could be?

Last edited:

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
To take note of Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, we'll likely be seeing some course correction and modern updates. That means the 90s styled buildings and technology will have to be revamped to be more in line with modern artstyle. Wingulls will be the replacement of seagulls, meaning the phasing out of real animals like in the old anime. And we'll likely have Pika activate the sprinklers to justify why he can defeat Onix. Violence would have to be tone down to be suitable for kids when possible. Charmeleon chopping Arbok in half? Not likely to happen if Arbok is going to live.

Also, crossovers between Ash and Adventures Red are a must.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It depends how many episodes they would make in one series. If it's something like 140 episodes, I would expect lots of fillers outside of the manga material.

shoz999

It depends how many episodes they would make in one series. If it's something like 140 episodes, I would expect lots of fillers outside of the manga material.
Personally I wish such an anime adaptation to go around 40 episodes at most similar to how a studio handled JoJo's Bizarre Adventures but yes. 140 episodes for that Kanto nostalgia in the future does seem like a plausible, if not a realistic number based on the current anime. If I were in charge of such filler though, I'd personally use that time to deepen Red's bond with his Pokemon and his two rivals, Green & Blue. What about you? What kind of filler do you expect the anime to take?

To take note of Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, we'll likely be seeing some course correction and modern updates. That means the 90s styled buildings and technology will have to be revamped to be more in line with modern artstyle. Wingulls will be the replacement of seagulls, meaning the phasing out of real animals like in the old anime. And we'll likely have Pika activate the sprinklers to justify why he can defeat Onix. Violence would have to be tone down to be suitable for kids when possible. Charmeleon chopping Arbok in half? Not likely to happen if Arbok is going to live.

Also, crossovers between Ash and Adventures Red are a must.
I have yet to see that movie but for me, the reason why I brought the topic of the authenticity of old vs. new was because of my viewing of Pokemon Origins which felt more like a Gen 3 adaptation of Kanto then it did Gen 1 outside of Mega Evolution, focusing on the FireRed and LeafGreen take on Kanto which introduced so much new changes and previous content from Ruby & Sapphire. A YouTuber I watched pointed out something interesting how Mato's artstyle of places like Saffron City captures the boxy industrialized cities of late 90s Japan that many Pokemon fans experienced in Gen 1 as opposed to how the FRLG and LGPE games turned places like Saffron City into a bright colorful golden-bricked city. As for violence, I don't think it has to be toned down but I do believe your right about stuff like Arbok being slice to half. That's definitely has to be censored regardless if it's a shonen.

As for a crossover between Ash and Red, I think that would make an awesome OVA special but I assume you want something more canonical. How would that work out? I assume you want to see a battle between the two, specifically Red before he becomes Pokemon Champion to even things out.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I don't really know too much about Pokemon Adventures, but at least know this much that it's definitely a much more character driven story in general, a story which actually does care a lot more about the purpose and goal of the main characters, compared to the Pokemon anime which now-a-days mostly exists for the sake of marketing the franchise as a whole, especially the upcoming games/Gen in general. So if an anime adaptation of the Pokemon Adventures manga is indeed made, I do believe that it at the very least, would be much, much better compared to the Pokemon anime.

In case an adaptation of a Pokemon Adventures manga is made someday, I do hope that it's very compact and plot-centric in general, and not full of many pointless COTD fillers like the Pokemon anime. I personally do prefer shows which has the plot kicking in right of the bat after some buildup at a fast rate.

Last edited:

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Each chapter’s episode length would vary greatly, mostly because how long older chapters are compared to the newer ones, which at most get 40-60 rounds. A RGB+Yellow adaptation would be around roughly 80-90 episodes, and GSC alone around the same. Compare that to an XY adaptation, which would only need 40-45 episodes (if they wanted to draw things out). Rounds can definitely be fit together in one episode, but there’s wiggle room in an anime format to include stuff overlooked in the manga, like off-screen battles and story expansion. Stuff like that has to accounted for and taken into consideration when tackling something as occasionally condensed as Spe.

Some scenes I’d love to see would be the whole RS final battle. The ferris wheel scene, Thundurus vs. Tornadus, and Zekrom vs. Reshiram- plus the whole Black/Light Stone situation- have potential for some beautiful, fluid animation (and some more emotional torture to rip my heart out again, but animated this time).

As for VA’s, Todd Haberkorn would be perfect for Ruby. The most punchable voice for a punchable character is fitting lmao. Rie Takahashi would be perfect for Kris or Moon; Haruka Tomatsu would fit Blue/Green really well too. It’s always fun to imagine how a character would sound, because there’s just so many ways it could turn out.

shoz999

I don't really know too much about Pokemon Adventures, but at least know this much that it's definitely a much more character driven story in general, a story which actually does care a lot more about the purpose and goal of the main characters, compared to the Pokemon anime which now-a-days mostly exists for the sake of marketing the franchise as a whole, especially the upcoming game/Gen in general. So if an anime adaptation of the Pokemon Adventures manga is indeed made, I do believe that it at the very least, would be much, much better compared to the Pokemon anime.

In case an adaptation of a Pokemon Adventures manga is made someday, I do hope that it's very compact and plot-centric in general, and not full of many pointless COTD fillers like the Pokemon anime. I personally do prefer shows which has the plot kicking in right of the bat after some buildup at a fast rate.
Honestly I think the pacing is much better than most shonen anime/manga. It keeps the reader interested on an almost constant basis by having a fast paced story that focuses on one character before moving onto a different set of characters in a different region. I believe that's one of the reasons why Pokemon Adventures is also easier to get into than most long-term manga for pretty much anyone because you can get into any story arc, outside of remakes/third version-based arcs which are more like sequels, anytime you want without having to read past works. However it also rewards loyal readers who have been with the manga since the beginning and man, the rewarding experience are so amazing. You will not see better Pokemon fanservice anywhere outside of the Pokemon Adventures manga. Some fans even think it's better than GameFreak's own fanservice. In fact, if I had to describe Pokemon Adventures, in many ways it's like the Marvel Cinematic Universe of Pokemon.

With that being said, you know what would be an awesome format for Pokemon Adventures outside of an anime TV series? ANIME MOVIES! In a lot of ways, it's the perfect format. The Pokemon anime starring Ash & Co. can focus on Television while the Pokemon Adventures movies can focus on building quality story-focused movies split into parts, similar to Digimon Tri only with the supervision of the original manga writer and the blueprints of the manga like Yu-Gi-Oh Darkside of the Dimensions or the Dragon Ball Super movies. If done this way, the amazing and attractive story quality of Pokemon Adventures won't hurt the ratings of the Ash & Co. anime because of it's entirely different format. Not only that but with the broader movie format, Pokemon Adventures is able to focus on that darker content without much trouble, although the sliced Arbok scene I feel still needs to be censored. Plus through this format, movies are a great way to reel in that green while having a shorter format that fits with the faster-pace storytelling of Pokemon Adventures!

Each chapter’s episode length would vary greatly, mostly because how long older chapters are compared to the newer ones, which at most get 40-60 rounds. A RGB+Yellow adaptation would be around roughly 80-90 episodes, and GSC alone around the same. Compare that to an XY adaptation, which would only need 40-45 episodes (if they wanted to draw things out). Rounds can definitely be fit together in one episode, but there’s wiggle room in an anime format to include stuff overlooked in the manga, like off-screen battles and story expansion. Stuff like that has to accounted for and taken into consideration when tackling something as occasionally condensed as Spe.

Some scenes I’d love to see would be the whole RS final battle. The ferris wheel scene, Thundurus vs. Tornadus, and Zekrom vs. Reshiram- plus the whole Black/Light Stone situation- have potential for some beautiful, fluid animation (and some more emotional torture to rip my heart out again, but animated this time).

As for VA’s, Todd Haberkorn would be perfect for Ruby. The most punchable voice for a punchable character is fitting lmao. Rie Takahashi would be perfect for Kris or Moon; Haruka Tomatsu would fit Blue/Green really well too. It’s always fun to imagine how a character would sound, because there’s just so many ways it could turn out.
That's true, the Red Chapter is especially interesting since unlike future chapters, the first Pokemon Adventures chapter has more of an episodic format meaning there's lot of opportunities to stuff filler practically everywhere.

On another note, out of all the moments I want to see expanded upon and animated into an episode, it would have to be Red and his rival Green accidentally switching their Pokemon teams. It's freaking hilarious, imagine Ash Ketchum and Paul accidentally switching Pokemon teams and using their training methods on each others Pokemon. I just freaking love it and I can see a lot of potential to expand this even further into a 20 minute episode. Could you imagine the situations they would find themselves in using each other's Pokemon teams?

On another note
, this link below is a link to a video trying out different anime voice actors for the main characters of Pokemon Adventures, Gens 1 to 5 and most of them are perfect. I'm hearing a lot of VA from Puella Magi Madoka Magica being perfect for a lot of Pokegirls of Pokemon Adventures and I don't even know what that anime is outside that it's supposedly a darker take on the magical girl genre. The really good voice-acting has me interested in watching the series.

The link to the video featuring which VAs could be best for which Pokemon Adventures character! Once you hear it! You can't unhear it!

Last edited:

shoz999

Yes, I would love to have it especially seeing Yellow and Emerald's anime form for the first time. But unfortunately It's a missed opportunity.
I suppose another advantage of an Pokemon Adventures anime adaptation reaching to a wider audience is the number of well-developed and strong female characters on board that I can imagine a lot of young girls would love to see in action. You got pacifist, the smart eggs, the tough gals, the responsible big sister, even the "girliest" character, White, is a very well-written character being the boss of her own business.

On another note, what do you think of Laura Bailey voicing Yellow? She's the english VA of Maka Albarn for Soul Eater. After hearing her voice work for what both a boy and girl character might sound like it, I can't think of anyone else to do the job.

Also I just thought who might be the perfect English VA for Cyrus! Paul St. Peter, the English VA for Kingdom Heart's Xemnas!

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
At the very least I'd expect certain parts of the RGB chapter to be censored since there were a few moments that were a bit dark. I'd expect a much quicker pace than the main series anime as well, so fillers would probably be kept to a minimum.

shoz999

At the very least I'd expect certain parts of the RGB chapter to be censored since there were a few moments that were a bit dark. I'd expect a much quicker pace than the main series anime as well, so fillers would probably be kept to a minimum.
As strange as this may seem, I can actually see the Pokemon company be alright with the only Pokemon death scene in Pokemon Adventure's 20 years. The part where Giovanni shows his true colors by freezing and killing the relentless Magmars for one simple reason. It isn't graphic and detailed like the Arbok slash scene, it's a "cleaner" death scene if that makes sense and they don't even have to fully show Magmars body collapsing into numerous pieces on-screen for a quick second, they just show the frozen pieces as blocks of ices containing shaded pieces of Magmar or we see the pieces of ice but not the dead Magmars off-screen or the easiest way, have the entire frozen Magmar obliterated altogether into tiny particles like how most kid-centric action animes handle death scenes. Although they could always go the simple route where Giovanni just freezes the Magmars and leave them there.

Last edited:

Emelie

Bookworm
If they ever adapt Pokémon Special I hope they give Masked Ice (manga) a better backstory. His motivation to kidnap a bunch of innocent children was very weak. It didn't really make sense either, how can a water Pokémon like Lapras drown in the first place!? o_O

It's almost as stupid as AZ (game) starting a war because his Floette died and more importantly the fact that the Floette was a heirloom from his dead mother but he prioritized to save the Floette instead. Did he have a brainfart? :rolleyes:

It's a shame since both Masked Ice (manga) and AZ (game) are important to the plot and built up over time, only to get a badly written conclusion. If they had been done differently mabye they could have been interesting characters.

Last edited:

shoz999

If they ever adapt Pokémon Special I hope they give Masked Ice (manga) a better backstory. His motivation to kidnap a bunch of innocent children was very weak. It didn't really make sense either, how can a water Pokémon like Lapras drown in the first place!? o_O

It's almost as stupid as AZ (game) starting a war because his Floette died and more importantly the fact that the Floette was a heirloom from his dead mother but he prioritized to save the Floette instead. Did he have a brainfart? :rolleyes:

It's a shame since both Masked Ice (manga) and AZ (game) are important to the plot and built up over time, only to get a badly written conclusion. If they had been done differently mabye they could have been interesting characters.
I forgot this but remember about spoilers. Just change his name to the Masked Man or Mask of Ice. As for Lapras, I believe it was an avalanche that started that path. Interesting though is that some fans have speculated that AZ may have been inspired by the Mask of Ice because of the similar backstories.

But yeah, the Masked Man's backstory is pretty polarizing among fans, some praising it as genius or criticizing it as stupid. Funny thing is that I think the writer knew that this might've been polarizing judging by The Masked Man's quote on perspectives, how something that seem stupid to one person may mean a lot to another. I'm curious what a much larger response from a wider audience could be to his background in an anime adaptation because believe it or not, I recall the manga fanbase of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures being mixed on a certain manga story arc called Vento Aureo but when that story arc finally got adapted to an anime, suddenly the story arc got lots and lots of praise from the anime fanbase. I'm curious if something like that could happen to the Masked Man's character arc.

Last edited:

Emelie

Bookworm
This is probably an unpopular opinion but sometimes Pokémon Special focuses too much on being shocking or mysterious. Some events and character's motivations feel a little bit muddy as a result.

There are some moments that feel like Deus Ex Machina. Like when a certain character turned out to have been hiding a secret Celebi all the time which magically solved all of his problems. It makes you wonder if the writers were just short on time and had to come up with something quickly.

Last edited:

shoz999

This is probably an unpopular opinion but sometimes Pokémon Special focuses too much on being shocking or mysterious. Some events and character's motivations feel a little bit muddy as a result.

There are some moments that feel like Deus Ex Machina. Like when a certain character turned out to have been hiding a secret Celebi all the time which magically solved all of his problem. It makes you wonder if the writers were just short on time and had to come up with something quickly.
I think the manga's emphasis on the game's mystery, expanding them further into an interesting larger story is what separates Pokemon Adventures from pretty much most adaptations and for the most part, I love all the mysteries they offer even if most of them focus too much on who is the villain or who is the legendary Pokemon but oh man... lol... now I'm really curious about a Pokemon Adventures RS anime adaptation lol. Can you imagine fans reactions to the RS ending lol? I have never seen a logical form of Deus Ex Machina in a story that makes sense lol and yet still feels kind of a cheat lol. The ending is like BS but it makes sense but not in a good way. I am very curious of newer fans reactions to that if it was adapted into an anime. Like if you had to ask me what was the worst ending of Pokemon Adventures oh man lol, RS would be the crowning top spot. I mean I like all the happy reunions at the end but how it got there was just so much BS.

Last edited:

Lunalah

Keep the story the same as it was in the manga except maybe add some expanded scenes that show more of the villain's motivations like maybe give Lance a much longer flashback.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I for one would love to see an anime adaptation of this, it was the first manga I ever read. I will say that I agree about the censorship, especially with that one instance early on in RB in Lavender Tower (That will always stick out to me).
But yeah, if they did go in this direction, it'd be like what Cardfight Vanguard did in 2018, adapting their manga into anime form.

I can see them compressing some of the longer fights so the series doesn't drag on too long.

shoz999

You know what would be fun to see animated? Like nothing else much changed except seeing it animated with music? Black's Gym Battle against Elesa! That is one of the most fun Pokemon battles I have ever seen! Considering how constantly mobile the Pokemon battle is, it would easily look tons of better with animation alone. Like you don't need to change anything else unless you want it to be longer. Though I suppose due to the constant mobility of the battle, it would also be a bit harder to animate as well.

So for those who don't know what I'm talking about lol, some minor spoilers but Black is one of two main characters of BW and he's challenging Unova's Electric Gym Leader Elesa at her roller coaster Gym but a problem occurs in the roller coaster, Black is stuck in the roller coaster and that basically means that he either has to wait for his gym battle with Elesa until the roller coaster is fixed which could take up to a week or lol... he has to battle Elesa on the roller coaster lol. It's Pokemon battles on roller coasters! That battle is just so much fun.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
You know what would be fun to see animated? Like nothing else much changed except seeing it animated with music? Black's Gym Battle against Elesa! That is one of the most fun Pokemon battles I have ever seen! Considering how constantly mobile the Pokemon battle is, it would easily look tons of better with animation alone. Like you don't need to change anything else unless you want it to be longer. Though I suppose due to the constant mobility of the battle, it would also be a bit harder to animate as well.

So for those who don't know what I'm talking about lol, some minor spoilers but Black is one of two main characters of BW and he's challenging Unova's Electric Gym Leader Elesa at her roller coaster Gym but a problem occurs in the roller coaster, Black is stuck in the roller coaster and that basically means that he either has to wait for his gym battle with Elesa until the roller coaster is fixed which could take up to a week or lol... he has to battle Elesa on the roller coaster lol. It's Pokemon battles on roller coasters! That battle is just so much fun.

BW has some of my favorite Gym battles in the series, mainly due to how unconventional and fun they are; Black is anything but a normal trainer. The Elesa battle was amazing in how it utilized mobility and an aerial setting; just imagine the 3D-camerawork on something like that. I’d love to see it animated!

shoz999

BW has some of my favorite Gym battles in the series, mainly due to how unconventional and fun they are; Black is anything but a normal trainer. The Elesa battle was amazing in how it utilized mobility and an aerial setting; just imagine the 3D-camerawork on something like that. I’d love to see it animated!
Oh man, I never thought about the 3D camera work! You know which studio I would like to see animate the gym battles of Pokemon Adventures BW? Either Madhouse with a crew under Shingo Natsume's direction who did the first season of One Punch Man and what most people don't realize is that the reason why Season 2's quality looks like it's taken a dip is that it was by a different studio and a different crew. The budget was never lowered, actually I believe it was increased. The first season of One Punch man's budget is actually pretty average but the reason most of those animated scenes were done so well was because of the talented crew behind the project. Another studio in mind would be Studio Trigger with a crew under Hiroyuki Imaishi's direction whose famous for his work on Gurren Lagann and Kill la kill where he does a lot of cool 3D camera work however I'd imagine he'd probably change the artstyle quite a lot.

Last edited: