• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures Copyrighted- No more Scanlations

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
(bear in mind that people in American tend to get really oversensitive about exposing THE CHILDREN to anything remotely sexual(/violent, since stuff like Krys getting slapped got edited too) for some reason. How to go about fixing that is another debate entirely.)

why debate? It's obvious we just need to retool our legal system a bit so that lawsuits can't be so easily abused, and certain people in the entertainment industry need to grow a damn spine (or replaced entirely), at least to a point where over-protective soccer moms aren't practically running the whole damn world... of course, actually accomplishing that seems to be the tricky part.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I don't support this because any exposure is good exposure to the dying Pokemon Franchise. If they want more fans, then they have to EMBRACE these illegal sites. Thats how they GOT more fans in the first place

...if you honestly think that the franchise is dying, you need to take another gander at sales figures.

Yankees4life

RONALDO!!!
...if you honestly think that the franchise is dying, you need to take another gander at sales figures.

well not dying, aging I wanted to say tho but you get da pic ;)

Rex Kamex

I don't support this because any exposure is good exposure to the dying Pokemon Franchise. If they want more fans, then they have to EMBRACE these illegal sites. Thats how they GOT more fans in the first place

Illegal scans can give a manga series more fame, but it can increase the temptation not to buy the series in book form.

1dbad said:
The Crys slap getting edited was most likely due to the fact it was her mother doing it, which meant it could be (and WRONGLY, I might add) interpreted as child abuse.

I'm pretty sure that was the reason as well.

Satori

ʮɳȿʈɵҏҏɐɓʟɝ
I hate Viz translations but I'm still gonna buy em. But Instead of Releasing volumes they are releasing the Best Of :..... etc I dunno if thats different than the manga its self. If it is I'd be sooo much happier with Viz

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I hate Viz translations but I'm still gonna buy em. But Instead of Releasing volumes they are releasing the Best Of :..... etc I dunno if thats different than the manga its self. If it is I'd be sooo much happier with Viz

What are you talking about?

They are not releasing the Best ofs

Rex Kamex

Viz first released Best of Red and Best of Yellow years ago. Apparently they're still making new editions of those books themselves.

But they're books taking chapters of Red/Yellow's lives and putting them into a book. That's left-to-right. Yellow fared the worst, in many people's opinions.

Viz has been releasing regular volumes of Adventures since 2009.

Satori

ʮɳȿʈɵҏҏɐɓʟɝ
Viz first released Best of Red and Best of Yellow years ago. Apparently they're still making new editions of those books themselves.

But they're books taking chapters of Red/Yellow's lives and putting them into a book. That's left-to-right. Yellow fared the worst, in many people's opinions.

Viz has been releasing regular volumes of Adventures since 2009.
I'll buy as long as its not best of... lol... but uhhh... Yeah they didn't do justice to it. lol and they stopped for a while didn't they.

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
Money abd money thats what the world is about. I only have vol 1 till 7 from viz but I need to go to another town -.- which is a long travel so I don'treally go that often to buy the manga. Like some other fans I am not pleased with the changes viz did like censoring and changing some nicknaming of the pokemon. It's as if they're westernisating the manga. It's a japanese manga so please keep some things from that culture in it too. Kid's don't care if the pokemon has a japanese nickname so why not keep it. You don't translate your pets name neither.

The RS chapter is going to be a nightmare for Viz to censor. I think they are still trying to figure out how to do it all. It's far worse then the Crystal slap. I'm really curious to see this arc translated and hopefully Viz will announce it already.

XDD I would really want to know how they'll do that. With Sapphire in her leaf clothes or when she stripes in front of ruby. Will they censor the dead scenes too? Too much to name but I guess those will be the most obvious ones.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Still, I want to support the original authors and importing is kind of expensive (not sure my parents would be willing to pay for that, especially for a Pokemon manga), and I don't know Japanese, so Viz is the next . . . "best" . . . thing.

You don't even need to import the manga anymore as they are places where you can buy Japanese manga (online and offline) in the US. But, I agree the not knowing Japanese is the biggest block.

Anyway, anyone upset about scanslations being taken down probably didn't really support the manga to begin with. Let's face it, if you read scanslations as a sample and then bought the actual volumes, it'll just take patience.

Not necessarily, everyone has a fix. If I was reading something that I really like via scans and it was taken down before I could finish, I would be upset. And I could be supporting the manga at the same time. I think scanslations tend to affect people that deal with multiple series the most as by the time the volumes get out, there's a lack of incentive to buy it with all the other series that do have that incentive. I think scans have some helpful use for us forgetful people.

Illegal scans can give a manga series more fame, but it can increase the temptation not to buy the series in book form.

I agree that scans definitely help a manga series out. In fact, for many many people scans is what helped get into a manga series and even want it to come out here. I'm seeing that scans are becoming more like the Japanese manga magazines in terms of reading some of or the whole series before deciding to buy it or not.

I kinda agree, but there are a lot of factors that can go into that, though. Most of the time those people weren't planning on really buying the manga anyways, especially when places like Barnes & Nobles allow a person to pick up a book and read it without ever buying it. More so when it's short as a manga. Plus, some fans follow many manga series (like I do), so they could use scans to decide when to buy a manga series. And it wouldn't really be the scans' fault since one/some of the books would have lost money anyways. But, it's definitely possible that the more people read scans the more the wanting to spend money for the manga can happen. Why on Earth people wouldn't spend money on the series they like and can read anytime, I have no idea.

Lau

★ Go, Rai!! ★
I find a bit unfair that we can't read scans online. If you live in a country where you can't buy them in your local bookstore/or another city you should be able to read them online (I live in Spain). I only got the first seven volumes because my aunt ordered them from Amazon. I had to read the rest online.

Also, I don't like the Viz thing to change or swap nicknames. They screwed Gold's Pokémon names, and I prefer Green and Blue, they make more sense.

Last edited:

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games
I find a bit unfair that we can't read scans online. If you live in a country where you can't buy them in your local bookstore/or another city you should be able to read them online (I live in Spain). I only got the first seven volumes because my aunt ordered them from Amazon. I had to read the rest online.

Also, I don't like the Viz thing to change or swap nicknames. They screwed Gold's Pokémon names, and I prefer Green and Blue, they make more sense.

I agree we don't even know why they even changed the nicknames of the Pokemon.

Allio

TheManlyTrainer
well the swap with green and blue is understandalbe...

and the nicknames swtich up...honestly don't bother me, I remember them as Gold's typhlosion, gold's politoad...and so forth and so on.

now with Ruby and sapphire, I don't think we have to worry about that to much with the death. Don't everyone come back alive when Ruby pulls dues ex machina out of his A**.

as long as they don't get pokemons mixed up. like another company we shall never mention....SABAN http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r67jBFQXJ7E

E-Hero Winged Kuriboh

Well after being disappointed by this and being unable to find why exactly they did it, I'm thinking they just want America to start releasing the manga to make money even if they are FAR FAR Behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this just tick you off... It ticks me off Greatly! I digress. What's your thoughts on this. I know this is a bit old since it happened last year but something happened that made me think of it again...
Really now? You honestly do not know why they stopped people from releasing their manga for free instead of people buying it from them? That's a bit naive, really.

It does not tick me off at all, it is perfectly within their right to stop people form illegally scanlating their manga and releasing it for free. I buy the manga, which means I am supporting the author, the companies that release it and the translators, instead of just downloading it for free and having those that worked hard on it get zero money for their work.

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
I would buy the manga if they wenen't so heavily bowlderised.....