1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Adventures Official Artwork Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by shoz999, Oct 23, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Master of Disguise!

This is where you post images of some of your favorite official artwork of the Pokemon Adventures manga. When I say artwork, I don't mean comic panels, I mean literal colored paint-like artwork of the Pokemon manga. Don't know about you guys but are any of you reminded of Ken Sugimori's earlier paint-like artwork of the first two generations of Pokemon?

Here's an example. We see Cyrus in the middle. For those who don't know, Cyrus's name means the Sun. What's orbiting around him are magnetic Pokemon, Magnezone and Probopass. They are the solar system and Cyrus is the sun. This is basically a subtle way of saying, Cyrus is the one in control, the one who is the boss of Team Galactic. Also what adds to this dark atmosphere is the paint-like textures, shading, the heavy use of the "blue" overtones. and how he interacts with his Pokemon by acting as the "sun".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. buskalilly

buskalilly Well-Known Member

I recently got the "The Art of Pokemon Adventures" book for my birthday so I'll peruse that for some choice selections later . . .

shoz999 likes this.
  3. shoz999

[​IMG]
    This is one of the coolest pieces of art I've ever seen. I don't know if this is official or a fan just put all the official art together but this is just AMAZING. In fact I feel like this poster isn't just a cool Gym Leader get-together artwork but is also artwork that hints at the big endgame storyline of the GSC chapter.

4. e9310103838

e9310103838 Well-Known Member

This is official artwork. It's from the official website. It has not been updated for a long time, oh. :(

shoz999 likes this.
  5. shoz999

You know what has been updated? The four original "Good" Gym Leaders of Kanto. Now if only we can A) see the "evil" Gym Leader of Kanto in updated artwork and B) see them in action in the upcoming possibly never happening Let's Go Arc!

[​IMG]
    Edit: Never mind. It's official artwork.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  6. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

Honestly, I had many chances to get a Pokémon Adventures Artbook... and passed on all of them because they are missing one important thing...

真斗 Mato

She drew for the Pokémon Adventures from Volume 1 to Volume 9, and she has a very distinct style to her art that differs from Satoshi Yamamoto.

[​IMG]

She even drew Ash Ketchum for some obscure Choose Your Adventure anime book that no one seems to have.

shoz999 likes this.
  7. shoz999

Honestly I don't think you should leave it as a spoiler. You should leave it out in the open for any bypasser to see. That's an AMAZING find you found.

8. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

Oh, that's an old habit from Bulbagarden. And really, there's more where that came from:

[​IMG]

I give credit to @Satoshi for showing these images to me a long time ago. As you can see, Mato has a very consistent style for Pokémon. In fact, I would say it is the Special style. Look at Satoshi. It's Red in Satoshi's clothes, down to a hairstyle closer to Pokémon Special than say, the actual anime. This was no accident given that Satoshi is anime Red. And it's clear that Mato had a particular vision for the world of the Pokémon Special.

She is the reason why Red looks distinctly different from his game counterpart's design. Compare that to other Pokédex Holders in recent times, you'll notice that nearly all of them are heavily based on their game counterparts, with only minor distinctions be it Sapphire's sharp tooth or Y's short hair. I'm willing to bet that had Special's Red been made today, he'll be almost identical to his game counterpart's modern design, down to the same brown hair and body structure.

It's a shame that the art books for Pokémon Special/Adventures don't showcase her works. Mato style is the foundation of Pokémon Special art that all future artists strive to emulate.

shoz999 likes this.
  9. shoz999

This is an incredible find. If they ever make a History Behind Pokemon Adventures Book, they should definitely feature this. Don't know about you but I think Mato can return in certain feature arcs featuring the original style of 11 year old trios. The Diamond and Pearl story arc has some of those traces of Mato's artwork through how short and somewhat round the DPP crew are.