• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures Rate & Review - Diamond and Pearl/P/HGSS (Gen 4)

How would you rate the Gen 4 trilogy?

• 5/5

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 4/5

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 3/5

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 2/5

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1/5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ellifeedn

Thinker
I recently realized those mangas are also written by Kusaka, and is planning to read. So, if you did read it, is the story good? Does it hold to all other Pokespe arcs? I did see Animelist score showing a score of 6
Never actually read it but I'm assume it's more like a short story than an epic.
I read the 2 series and yes they are both short, like a single arc each in a regular Pokemon Adventure chapter. Not a lot of character development or story, just brief flashes of Pokemon Ranger in manga form. The only connections the 2 series have with Pokemon Adventure proper are the Manaphy Egg and Darkrai. Maybe Deoxys too, but that's debatable.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Not quite. The only explicit confirmation is the Manaphy Egg and Iyori, an original character that appeared in both Ranger manga and got a cameo in Pokespe.

We see Darkrai flying to Sinnoh at the end of Darkrai Mission Story, but they never bring up Almia at all in Pt. It's weird the first Ranger manga got mentioned, but not the second. I guess Kusaka either forgot to bring it up (which is likely since volume 40 had to be made entirely from scratch, so details could've been left out), but I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same one. Otherwise there'd be two Darkrai in Pokespe, and Kusaka likes to keep Legendaries and Mythicals as individuals (minus Deoxys).

As for Deoxys, it's probably just the one Red bonded with.

What truly interests me is where the Ranger manga fit in the timeline.

The first manga takes place after FRLG because Deoxys is free, but the second one has a line that implies it takes place two years after the first manga. But Darkrai should still be with Sird at that point, but it's free and in Almia in Darkrai Mission Story. The Grunt with the cloak stated that Sird called Darkrai "uncontrollable", but who knows. I wish I knew Japanese so I could just ask Kusaka or Yamamoto about this.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
When does Sird release Darkrai again?
Somewhere in-between the events of the end of Diamond & Pearl story arc and the Platinum Arc. During the end of the Diamond and Pearl arc, Sird enters the scene with her Darkrai as a mysterious black shadow. She deemed it uncontrollable and disposed of it into the Distortion World, home to Giratina which seems to be a habit of Sird to dispose legendaries who aren't any use to her.

lolipiece

Staff member
They didn't fall short. They were just promotional manga that were published on the Pokemon Daisuki Club.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Last edited:
Binged the DPP chapter this week, and here are my impressions.

Of interest is that this chapter is delineated into a Diamond and Pearl chapter and a Platinum chapter, even though the Platinum chapter is essentially the same story. It's not really a complete chapter like the GSC chapter was, but the two sections are so intertwined that it hardly makes sense to have them be separated at all. You can't disentangle the D/P section from the Platinum one - the manga itself doesn't want you to, since the Plat section starts midway through volume 9 and the DP section is sprinkled with elements from Platinum, like the early appearances of Charon and Looker. The reason for this, of course, was because Platinum was present in the manga from the start even though it wasn't announced that there would even be a third game to Diamond and Pearl, and so her name went unrevealed (ah, halcyon days. Remember how feverishly we all speculated - what would the third mascot be: Mesprit? Heatran? Darkrai?!). It might have been a giveaway to call it the "Diamond, Pearl and ???" chapter, but it would have been funny.

It took me a little while to get into the swing of this chapter, though; it has a slightly janky start. It feels a little awkward at first, and it was a couple of volumes before I'd fully warmed to the group. This might be due to the different dynamic - we've never had three protagonists all on the same journey together before - but it's interesting how natural it feels when the group go their separate ways, too, since all three feel like complete characters in their own right. While initially I found the comedy routines grating they eventually became rather endearing, and it was a sweet moment when Platinum echoed my thoughts with her request to see it once more at the end of the arc.

Still, there's so much going on in this chapter. Adventure's take on Team Galactic is very cool. The Advanced Level Grunt is a complex character whose fate initially seems quite tragic, but who I'm glad to see redeemed - and hooray for another original character; Adventures does those so well - and the brainwashed hordes of Galactic Grunts are delightful. (Do we ever find out what makes them like that? Hypnosis, maybe?) And I can only wish Mars and Jupiter's ingame teams had been as diverse as Adventures made them. Most interesting of all is Cyrus, who I never really "got" in the game canon. His motivations are less well-explained here, but his character wasn't diminished for it, and the parallels drawn between him and Diamond were interesting. I was surprised that the Platinum chapter chose to redeem him somewhat: I honestly hadn't expected that, and it's so at odds with what the games and anime did, but for some reason, it worked. Not all villains are soundly defeated or killed; some get away, and some are allowed to depart. Leaving things open in this way was a refreshing choice, and a smart one.

The stakes are just as high as before. Dialga and Palkia feel even more fearsome than Groudon and Kyogre, and Giratina no less menacing - here is a Pokemon that's unambiguously malignant, not out of anger but just because it can. The final battle, with its legendary pile-on, just about managed not to feel excessive - I think the trick was Cynthia's Garchomp, rather than Shaymin or Regigigas, landing the key final blow - and the various legendaries of the Sinnoh region are worked into the story in a way that feels much more elegant than, say, the RS chapter, which tacked on the Regi trio with minimal elegance. I genuinely can't get over how cool it was to see the seven Sinnoh gym leaders arrive as backup on the Spear Pillar, and the showdown between Cyrus and Cynthia is truly epic in a way that summaries of the arc did not do justice, on par with the Mewtwo/Deoxys clash from FRLG.

Other points of interest: the Frontier Brains are cool. The Elite Four's glorified cameo is not. Considering that the Sinnoh E4 are vastly more interesting than their Hoenn, Unova, and Kalos counterparts, it's disappointing that we don't get to see more of them than this. I wasn't hugely impressed by Volkner either, who felt more like a bored stoner than someone worthy of being the most powerful Gym Leader. As for the team members of the main characters, they're fleshed out admirably this arc. It almost makes one wonder if the three protagonists were modelled specifically on their starters since their personalities match so well - Piplup and Ponyta are proud and elegant, Chimchar and Chatot are nimble and speedy, and Turtwig and Munchlax are slow and doughty. The sheer amount of gifted team members feels a little lazy, though, especially considering Candice gives Platinum the most powerful Pokemon her team (it's quite cute that Diamond gets a couple of his team members from her, though). Only Diamond's six come close to feeling like a fully realised bunch; Platinum's three bonus team members don't get much in the way of fleshing out. Pearl winds up getting the short end of the stick in my view as far as his roster goes. Admittedly, once you discount those owned by other major characters, there's a surprisingly small amount of Gen IV critters left, but it still feels out of place that he gets two Gen 1 critters, and Tauros and Diglett feel like especially random choices since (unlike Ponyta) they aren't even in the Sinnoh Dex. Not that I'm complaining since I love Tauros, but offhand Leafeon, Mothim, Carnivine, Gliscor, Yanmega, and Mime Jr>Mr. Mime all spring to mind as potentially better fits. Curious.

But, all in all, I really can't fault this arc. A truly complete and satisfying story, with characters I grew attached to and a lot of great and fun moments. Not to mention that ending teaser with Gold. Excellent stuff. Bring on a DPP remake so we can see this lot again, I say.

____

One final thing to point out: when the Advanced Level Grunt speaks about the Pokedex, we see the silhouettes of the various other Dex Holders: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. Is it just me or is there an additional figure between Silver and Crystal? I'd be inclined to say it was Emerald's sleeve, but unless I'm looking at it wrong I can definitely make out what looks like the profile of a nose and the brim of a cap. Black, presumably? How odd.

56169822_411674149628292_726337651891765248_n.jpg

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
One final thing to point out: when the Advanced Level Grunt speaks about the Pokedex, we see the silhouettes of the various other Dex Holders: Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. Is it just me or is there an additional figure between Silver and Crystal? I'd be inclined to say it was Emerald's sleeve, but unless I'm looking at it wrong I can definitely make out what looks like the profile of a nose and the brim of a cap. Black, presumably? How odd.

56169822_411674149628292_726337651891765248_n.jpg
looks like a knee to me, so it's most likely emerald's pants

ellifeedn

Thinker
Of interest is that this chapter is delineated into a Diamond and Pearl chapter and a Platinum chapter, even though the Platinum chapter is essentially the same story. It's not really a complete chapter like the GSC chapter was, but the two sections are so intertwined that it hardly makes sense to have them be separated at all. You can't disentangle the D/P section from the Platinum one - the manga itself doesn't want you to, since the Plat section starts midway through volume 9 and the DP section is sprinkled with elements from Platinum, like the early appearances of Charon and Looker. The reason for this, of course, was because Platinum was present in the manga from the start even though it wasn't announced that there would even be a third game to Diamond and Pearl, and so her name went unrevealed (ah, halcyon days. Remember how feverishly we all speculated - what would the third mascot be: Mesprit? Heatran? Darkrai?!). It might have been a giveaway to call it the "Diamond, Pearl and ???" chapter, but it would have been funny.
That mention of GSC made me think of something:

Gold, Silver, Crystal
Diamond, Pearl, Platinum

Gold, Silver, Platinum
Diamond, Pearl, Crystal

Not the characters, just the names.

lolipiece

Staff member
Admittedly, once you discount those owned by other major characters, there's a surprisingly small amount of Gen IV critters left, but it still feels out of place that he gets two Gen 1 critters, and Tauros and Diglett feel like especially random choices since (unlike Ponyta) they aren't even in the Sinnoh Dex.

Pearl's team is designed to focus on attack and speed, compared to Dia's more slow and defensive party. Tauros and Diglett fit those categories as well.

I agree on wanting a Gen IV Pokemon, but at least they're technically available through Poke Radar.

Just his sleeve.

Finally got round to reading the HGSS chapter (uni work has diverted much of time of late). It's a bit disappointing that it's so short, but if the alternative is a six-year wait to finish the story I guess I can live with it.

I really loved the GSC chapter (and the Johto games in general) so was very much looking forward to this one. With all the new features, there was a lot of potential for the plot of this round. However, it ended up feeling a lot more like a wrap-up where Kusaka threw in every aspect as yet unused: "Togepi hasn't evolved! Pryce and Giovanni and Lance are still missing! Silver still has all his stolen Johto badges! We haven't featured Arceus yet! The Elite Four and the Gym Leaders have new designs we need to include! How can we incorporate the Pokeathlon and the Safari Zone and the Spiky-Eared Pichu?" It's a rush to get everything included; some of it feels justified, some doesn't.

Stuff I liked, though: Togebo is, as they say, the absolute boy. My new favourite character, hands down (brb, gonna go breed one) and it was fab to see it get the spotlight. Also, I was most put out on Silver's behalf that Giovanni appears to have just outright stolen his Ursaring. Aren't dads the worst? I also appreciated the twist (well, I knew about it already, but at the time it was a twist) that all of this happened prior to the DPP chapter - had some fun making a flowchart timeline of the series and I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

It's a bit of a reach to have Team Rocket go after freaking Arceus of all things (where did Arceus come from, exactly? I wasn't clear on that) but the four admins are visually a pretty cool bunch. It was extremely cool, too, to see Crys try and capture Arceus - obviously no one expected it to work, but you've gotta admire her balls. And her Pokeballs aren't bad either. Now that I think about it, wouldn't it have been great to have had her make an appearance in the USUM chapter? It'd reference the VC games and provide an excuse to use the Apricorn balls again...

Interesting that the Sinjoh Ruins of the manga is stated to be in a pocket dimension while the games fairly concretely appear to confirm it's just in whatever region lies north of Kanto/Johto (Tohoku, as it's called in real life). I remember a lot of people expected Gen 5 to be set in either this region or the one west of Johto (Shikoku/Chugoku) but I'm of the opinion that this detail suggests that Game Freak aren't planning to go there in any game any time soon (and personally I've always subscribed to the theory that Holon from the TGC is north of Kanto anyway. Maybe it's a lot of little regions instead of a single large one, since there's that little kingdom in the 8th movie that's also north of Mt. Moon and the southern boundary of Almia extends into the north of it as well... sue me, I find the hypothetical geopolitics of the Pokemon world incredibly fun to think about).

While this is probably the weakest chapter so far (just narrowly edging out FRLG) I still liked it, and it works as a send-off to the GSC characters, who I'm fairly haven't been seen again after this (unless they cameo in the ORAS chapter - don't spoil it for me if they do).

Aaaand it's onto Unova!

lolipiece

Staff member
Finally got round to reading the HGSS chapter (uni work has diverted much of time of late). It's a bit disappointing that it's so short, but if the alternative is a six-year wait to finish the story I guess I can live with it.

I really loved the GSC chapter (and the Johto games in general) so was very much looking forward to this one. With all the new features, there was a lot of potential for the plot of this round. However, it ended up feeling a lot more like a wrap-up where Kusaka threw in every aspect as yet unused: "Togepi hasn't evolved! Pryce and Giovanni and Lance are still missing! Silver still has all his stolen Johto badges! We haven't featured Arceus yet! The Elite Four and the Gym Leaders have new designs we need to include! How can we incorporate the Pokeathlon and the Safari Zone and the Spiky-Eared Pichu?" It's a rush to get everything included; some of it feels justified, some doesn't.

Honestly, I feel like that's kind of the point.

The way HGSS and ORAS (not saying how) are written makes them feel like Kusaka just wanted to clear up certain loose ends rather than just have it be a grandiose adventure. A last hurrah, of sorts, but on a more personal level.

Where's Giovanni? Is he still alive?
Is Pryce alive? Where'd Lance go?
What're the Gym Leaders up to? (He mentioned wanting to include the Kanto Gym Leaders as well.)
Why hasn't Togepi evolved?
What will Silver do with his life once his past demons have been settled? (Kid needed a hobby.)

I feel he did want to do more with HGSS, but time constraints and new game releases kept that from happening.

I also appreciated the twist (well, I knew about it already, but at the time it was a twist) that all of this happened prior to the DPP chapter - had some fun making a flowchart timeline of the series and I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

If it's any help, DP implies it takes place 8 years after GSC, which would put HGSS three years before that.

Last edited:

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Honestly, I feel like that's kind of the point.

The way HGSS and ORAS (not saying how) are written makes them feel like Kusaka just wanted to clear up certain loose ends rather than just have it be a grandiose adventure. A last hurrah, of sorts, but on a more personal level.

Where's Giovanni? Is he still alive?
Is Pryce alive? Where'd Lance go?
What're the Gym Leaders up to? (He mentioned wanting to include the Kanto Gym Leaders as well.)
Why hasn't Togepi evolved?
What will Silver do with his life once his past demons have been settled? (Kid needed a hobby.)

I feel he did want to do more with HGSS, but time constraints and new game releases kept that from happening.

If it's any help, DP implies it takes place 8 years after GSC, which would put HGSS three years before that.

About Giovanni, Pryce and Lance I'm still disappointing they didn't show up with Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia respecitelly to fight Dialga/Palkia/Giratina. That would be epic and it would be nice to have Lugia and Ho-oh in a HGSS arc...

shoz999

About Giovanni, Pryce and Lance I'm still disappointing they didn't show up with Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia respecitelly to fight Dialga/Palkia/Giratina. That would be epic and it would be nice to have Lugia and Ho-oh in a HGSS arc...
Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia? That wouldn't be a little reference to Pokemon Stadium 2's Silver who has Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia right? Oh man that would be a fun little Pokemon Stadium 2 reference if Kusaka decided to have Silver temporarily team-up with Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia. Also I guess it's no surprise that you and some other fans want Lugia and Ho-0h to play another story role in just about anything really. Those two legendaries are probably the least-utilized in the series out of all the mascots. Heck, I'd argue that Colosseum and XD gave much more importance to Ho-Oh and Lugia than Heartgold & Soulsilver ever did and those two remakes are considered to be one of, if not the best Pokemon games the series has to offer by fans.

Last edited:

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia? That wouldn't be a little reference to Pokemon Stadium 2's Silver who has Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia right? Oh man that would be a fun little Pokemon Stadium 2 reference if Kusaka decided to have Silver temporarily team-up with Mewtwo, Ho-oh and Lugia. Also I guess it's no surprise that you and some other fans want Lugia and Ho-0h to play another story role in just about anything really. Those two legendaries are probably the least-utilized in the series out of all the mascots. Heck, I'd argue that Colosseum and XD gave much more importance to Ho-Oh and Lugia than Heartgold & Soulsilver ever did and those two remakes are considered to be one of, if not the best Pokemon games the series has to offer by fans.

I did not think about it in Stadium relation but it would be nice as a final.

What I was more thinking about was that:
1. Mewtwo was created for Giovanni and he Teamed up with him vs Lance in Yellow Chapter.
2. Lugia was summoned by Lance at the end of Yellow chapter but he couldn't control it. After a change of heart it might work out.
3. Ho-oh (together with Lugia) were controlled by Pryce (aka Mask of Ice) so it would be nice to see using it on a partner relation.

Nevertheless, having those 3 fighting against Dialga. Palkia and Giratina until Arceus shows would be epic.

I know it's an off-topic but it's sad Mewtwo did not get a Game Cover and a trio with Ho-oh and Lugia. He would work much better as a Crystal Cover than Suicune. They could've made an Armored Mewtwo with Psychic/Steel typing for Crystal with a different stats distribution. But this is just fanfiction now.

shoz999

I did not think about it in Stadium relation but it would be nice as a final.

What I was more thinking about was that:
1. Mewtwo was created for Giovanni and he Teamed up with him vs Lance in Yellow Chapter.
2. Lugia was summoned by Lance at the end of Yellow chapter but he couldn't control it. After a change of heart it might work out.
3. Ho-oh (together with Lugia) were controlled by Pryce (aka Mask of Ice) so it would be nice to see using it on a partner relation.

Nevertheless, having those 3 fighting against Dialga. Palkia and Giratina until Arceus shows would be epic.

I know it's an off-topic but it's sad Mewtwo did not get a Game Cover and a trio with Ho-oh and Lugia. He would work much better as a Crystal Cover than Suicune. They could've made an Armored Mewtwo with Psychic/Steel typing for Crystal with a different stats distribution. But this is just fanfiction now.
Personally I think it's far more epic that the three trainers show off just how insanely strong their skills are as a Pokemon trainer rather than relying on legendaries. It really gives off the impression that they are these nigh-invincible powerful Pokemon trainers of the Top 5% who don't always rely on legendaries to beat legendaries. You got Dragonite with his re-directing Hyper Beam, Pryce's unevolved but fast Swinub that's unaffected by time and Giovanni being a chess master with brutally strong Pokemon all going up against a weakened but still powerful creation trio. I think it's much more fun if Silver has the three legendaries out of a Pokemon Stadium 2 reference but that's just me.

ellifeedn

Thinker
That makes me wish that the Orre games got the Adventures/Special treatment. C'mon Gamefreak, remake those games on a modern console!

lolipiece

Staff member

Except that none of those Pokemon would have a legitimate reason to work with them.

Mewtwo outright hates Giovanni.