• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon adventures Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen arcs

Macromind101

I wish Viz would explain clearly why they aren't releasing them I mean, magazine version of BW are released so why not the remaining arcs that have finished already. I hate it when VIZ doesn't do it's work properly and it's not the first time that they ceased to release an manga.

Like the guy before me said, I seriously doubt that Viz has any reason to release the Generation III arcs unless there is some form of RSE remake coming in the future (due to the hints I think it is possible but not an EXACT remake due to the timeframe, probably a setting that takes place in Hoenn but several years after the events in the original Hoenn games took place). To be completely honest, the manga is supposed to be aimed towards a younger audience who probably started playing Pokemon when Generation IV came out and never touched a Ruby cartridge. Sure, the purpose of Viz releasing these Adventures volumes is to appease the fans but it is also to be profitable. Viz has to keep the general audience in mind when running as a company and honestly, I'm pretty sure around 80% of the audience who reads Adventures are the younger kids I mentioned earlier. Don't berate me for saying what I am about to say because it's true in most cases, most people who played the Generation III games and earlier while they were still hot most likely outgrew Pokemon (well maybe they sometimes play one of their old cartridge for enjoyment purposes but they probably are not following the events like they used to). There are a few left, like us, but we must face the fact that the general audience of the Adventures manga are little kids who know very little about generations preceding IV and they would have minimal interest in the release of R/S/FR/LG/E chapters compared to the current stories. It's Generation V that's hot right now so it would be financially wiser for Viz to focus on what the general interest is at the moment and like I said before, the way I see it the only hope for a Generation III chapters release is if there is a Hoenn-remake (of some form) coming.

Last edited:

Mewzard

Well, the thing is...Why would they be updating the release date and keeping these pages up if they weren't planning on releasing them eventually? It's been mentioned before that we're coming up on the tenth anniversary of Ruby/Sapphire's North American release date. In fact, the March 2013 listing currently up would be 10 years to the month that they were released here, that can't be coincidental.

And even if they wanted to focus on games that people know...why did they release RGBYGSC? And, if they did release those, why not just do FireRed/LeafGreen? They need to do both Ruby/Sapphire and FireRed/LeafGreen so they can do Emerald (and give a proper conclusion to the events of the older cast), and then, finally do HeartGold/SoulSilver (which is coming out in volume form in Japan, and is within the memories of younger Pokemon fans).

It just makes sense to start releasing these next year. And once they're caught up, there's no fear about material being outdated any longer.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I'll be feeling much better when it's fully confirmed and I see some volume covers. I love looking at the covers.

matt0044

I'll be feeling much better when it's fully confirmed and I see some volume covers. I love looking at the covers.

Probably near the release date. Maybe January. Hope the Mayans were wrong (not that they ever predicted anything).

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
There are a few left, like us, but we must face the fact that the general audience of the Adventures manga are little kids who know very little about generations preceding IV and they would have minimal interest in the release of R/S/FR/LG/E chapters compared to the current stories. It's Generation V that's hot right now so it would be financially wiser for Viz to focus on what the general interest is at the moment and like I said before, the way I see it the only hope for a Generation III chapters release is if there is a Hoenn-remake (of some form) coming.
I really hope that isn't their reasoning for it, because that would just be silly considering how the old volumes of Adventures have still sold well. Not only that, but it would be a very bad thing if that is their reasoning for it, since it would mean that in addition to R/S only getting released IF we get remakes, that they probably wouldn't bother with releasing FR/LG, E or HG/SS either.

Well, the thing is...Why would they be updating the release date and keeping these pages up if they weren't planning on releasing them eventually?
The had exact dates before though, and nothing happened, so it could be the exact same case here.

And even if they wanted to focus on games that people know...why did they release RGBYGSC?
GSC doesn't count since it cashed in on HGSS hype. RBGY was just something they really had no choice but to release for the story to make sense, and also probably served as a test to see if it was worth re-releasing Adventures here.

Probably near the release date. Maybe January. Hope the Mayans were wrong (not that they ever predicted anything).
We usually get things a few months in advanced with Viz's volumes though. So the fact we have nothing besides these new dates only on Viz's site doesn't look good. I suppose there's still a bit of time left before it's completely hopeless, but unless we start seeing links for the volumes on other sites and/or start getting synopsizes and/or volume covers soon then it's most likely not happening. Regardless though, I wouldn't worry about the Mayan thing. Not only have a lot of people got wrong about what they meant, but there's been countless end of the world dates where nothing happened, so I'd be surprised if this one was any different. :p

Last edited:

Orbis

What?
The original placeholders, IIRC, never had prices or page counts.

And as someone said in the Upcoming Manga Release Thread, they could still be working contracts and other things out and that's why they don't have covers and synopses yet.

I could be wrong, though.

matt0044

The had exact dates before though, and nothing happened, so it could be the exact same case here.

GSC doesn't count since it cashed in on HGSS hype. RBGY was just something they really had no choice but to release for the story to make sense, and also probably served as a test to see if it was worth re-releasing Adventures here.

But then, why bother updating them at all? Unless it's an elaborate prank, I doubt anyone at Viz would bother unless they were thinking about it at least.

That's true but what about the DPPt chapter? When it came to the US, we were just getting into Gen 5 so why would Viz release it then? Hell, the HGSS games were becoming outdated in when the later GSC arc volumes were coming out. I'm just saying that there are a few holes in your claims.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
The original placeholders, IIRC, never had prices or page counts.
I was pretty sure they had page numbers and prices then too, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

And as someone said in the Upcoming Manga Release Thread, they could still be working contracts and other things out and that's why they don't have covers and synopses yet.
That's quite possible, and that actually could've been the case last time too. Though it'd be kind of weird for them to jump the gun on something that isn't guaranteed, let alone with every last volume...

But then, why bother updating them at all?
Why bother posting dates in the first place if releases weren't going to happen on them? Updating for no reason may be weird, but it doesn't mean it isn't possible.

Unless it's an elaborate prank, I doubt anyone at Viz would bother unless they were thinking about it at least.
I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it even if it doesn't mean anything. To be honest I'm not 100% sure of what to make of it, but until we get some actual proof I'm personally going to wait before feeling too strongly.

That's true but what about the DPPt chapter? When it came to the US, we were just getting into Gen 5 so why would Viz release it then?
Maybe Viz didn't count DPPt since it isn't as old as as the arcs before it?

I'm just saying that there are a few holes in your claims.
That wasn't my actual logic. :p I was using Viz's supposed logic. Personally I'm not so sure they think that way but even if they do I still find that whole age logic silly regardless since sells have already proven age doesn't matter. ;)

Last edited:

Macromind101

Another reason that Viz could have for not releasing Generation III arcs is that they don't contribute to the main plot of the entire manga (as of now). The only plothole that would be created for skipping the Generation III arcs is the Sird scene at Spear Pillar and that could very easily be cut out because in no way did it contribute to the plot going on at the time (someone already said that before me) so cutting out that scene wouldn't really change anything. And the writers could make it sound like Charon himself found Darkrai for his collection in the Platinum chapter. Unless there is a dexholder reunion at the end of the HGSS chapter that includes the Sinnoh dexholders and Sird is the final villain (for more info look at the thread I started back in July) then besides fan interest there will be no reason for Viz to release Generation III arcs which would be extremely convenient for them.

Oh and one more thing I would like to point out. Remember that one scene in the FRLG chapter where Red and Blue (Green as he is called there) exchange their starters to fight the machine thingy in Trainer Tower? The reference to the Firered and Leafgreen games are made when Mewtwo points out how Red is fighting with Charizard (Fire and Red) and Green (as he is called in Japan) is fighting with Venusaur (Leaf and Green). That wouldn't work out in American versions since Green is known as Blue here. It would be convenient for Viz to just run away from that one situation instead of tackling it somehow (but then again they could just cut out that one part but idk I'm not Viz).

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I hope they don't cut out Sird in the DPPt ending especially if Viz does decide to do the gen 3 arc's like we're all hoping they will. Besides when I pay for a Pokemon Adventures volume I expect all original content to still be in tact so I shall be upset with a mutliated volume. That being said I doubt there will be another Dexholder reunion anytime soon especially in HGSS. I don't expect any old faces minus the Kanto trio in the form of flashbacks.

matt0044

Oh and one more thing I would like to point out. Remember that one scene in the FRLG chapter where Red and Blue (Green as he is called there) exchange their starters to fight the machine thingy in Trainer Tower? The reference to the Firered and Leafgreen games are made when Mewtwo points out how Red is fighting with Charizard (Fire and Red) and Green (as he is called in Japan) is fighting with Venusaur (Leaf and Green). That wouldn't work out in American versions since Green is known as Blue here. It would be convenient for Viz to just run away from that one situation instead of tackling it somehow (but then again they could just cut out that one part but idk I'm not Viz).

That's no reason not to translate them. I mean, they could just rewrite that bit since it has no bearing on the plot and it's just a setup for a small insignificant namedrop/reference. Sorry but isn't that a big stretch? DPPt's US release probably had a lot of Dia and Pearl's puns lost in translation but that never stopped Viz.

I mean, DUH!

To Platinum Fan: I think Macromind meant Sird's flashback could be edited out and while she'd be the same character as in the FRLG arc, the US version would keep the references to a minimum. Not that they actually would or will since we have no idea.

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
But then, why bother updating them at all?

Because they can? Because someone there was bored? It's Viz; they don't make sense to anyone but them. They don't work on Earth logic!

Dates and prices don't mean anything until there's a cover to go with it. It's not going to take but a few minutes to update some empty entries on a site, after all. Hardly any work involved in that.

And to be honest, I don't think the R/S anniversary is a good reason for them to start releasing the R/S arc unless there is a remake (or something substantial) to go with it. I can't imagine many people even remembering the anniversary since barely anyone likes Hoenn anyways. DPPt works since people liked the region, pokemon, and the game, but Hoenn is pretty much the black sheep of the family. It wouldn't make sense for them since they're not the type of company to finish what they start. It would be pointless to start an arc (or two) and have them cancel it half way through. For a company like Viz, I can't see them releasing the arc unless there's some kind of hype behind it so they can get all the money they can.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were updating the dates and whatnot hoping for a remake to be made and released.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
The only plothole that would be created for skipping the Generation III arcs is the Sird scene at Spear Pillar and that could very easily be cut out because in no way did it contribute to the plot going on at the time (someone already said that before me) so cutting out that scene wouldn't really change anything..
I don't like the idea of them taking out or rewriting something just because they haven't bothered to release said volumes. And it would've all been for nothing if they did one day decide to release said volumes.

Unless there is a dexholder reunion at the end of the HGSS chapter that includes the Sinnoh dexholders and Sird is the final villain (for more info look at the thread I started back in July) then besides fan interest there will be no reason for Viz to release Generation III arcs which would be extremely convenient for them..
HGSS still has some ties to those arcs though (like a villain from FR/LG appearing and flashbacks of Green and Blue in their FR/LG clothes) so that would mean they wouldn't bother releasing that arc either, or would have to mess with it as well.

That wouldn't work out in American versions since Green is known as Blue here. It would be convenient for Viz to just run away from that one situation instead of tackling it somehow (but then again they could just cut out that one part but idk I'm not Viz).
I'm sure they would either choose to ignore it or try to find another way to keep it in tact. It wouldn't be anymore inconvenient than all the other changes they have made, so I don't get why one line like that could easily be dealt with would be the reason for not doing it. Plus that line only affects FR/LG, not Ruby/Sapphire or Emerald.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
About time to be honest. I loved the Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Emerald arcs and I've wanted to add the [official] English volumes to my collection for some time. And since it seems that Viz will be releasing one volume every two months instead of en masse, I won't have to worry about saving up money for them. I'm definitely getting volume 15 the day it comes out, even if I have to line up outside of Barnes & Noble. :p