• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures Volume 10 (Viz)

Maxim

Beyond repair
It's still two days before the release of Pokemon Adventures Volume 10. But since some bookstores tend to get the books before the usual release date, I'm already making a thread on this.

The thing I care the most about are the names. Here is the list of possible new English names that can be found in this volume:

-Crystal's nickname. It was Chris in CY version, but it can also be Crys or Kris (as in the games).
-Crystal's Pokemon nicknames (Arckee, Hitmonee, Natee, Parasee, Bonee, Chumee and Mega in CY version)
-Oak's Ledyba and Stantler - they were nicknamed in Japanese version (CY left them unnamed).
-Ron (CY)/Ryuu (JP) - Clair's disciple (he's an easy-to-miss cameo but his name was mentioned).
-Wayne (CY)/Hydate (JP) - Chuck's old friend (almost-confirmed former Violet Gym Leader and Falkner's father).
-Unnamed village and girl with a Girafarig (they were both unnamed in Japanese and CY, so they'll probably be unnamed in Viz's version too. Unless Viz goes creative and makes up names for them)
-Ken, Al/Ryo and Harry. They appeared before several times but I couldn't find their names in older volumes. They were just collectively known as "Team Rocket Elite Trio".
-Also, list of chapter titles would be nice.

If someone manages to get a copy quick, please share these names.

Unfortunately, Charmaine and Keane don't appear in this volume yet. And they are probably the names we're waiting for the most eagerly.

Well, I got Vol 10 on Friday, Sooooo. here are your names:

-Crystal's nickname is Crys.
-Here are the Pokemon nicknames: Archy (I think its supposed to be pronounced as Arkee but idk), Monlee (I'm not too fond of this name because it sounds like a Hitmonlee...), Natee, Parasee, Bonee, Chumee, and Megaree.
-Oak's Ladyba and Stantler are named Bach and Antch. (I lol'd a bit a Bach)
-Claire's disciple's name is Ryu.
-Chuck's friend is named Walker
-The village and the girl have no names, but the Girafarig's nickname is Gira.
-Yup, our Team Rocket Trio is Al, Ken, and Harry. (I'm so relieved. I like those names.)
-ok, Chapter name time. Under spoilers to save space:
1. Slugging it out with Slugma
2. Three cheers for Chikorita
3. A Flaffy Kerfuffle
4. Surrounded by Staryu
5. Off Course with Corsola
6. Querulous Qwilfish
7. Debonair Dragonair
8. Scrappy Skarmory
9. Misdreavus Misgivings
10. Jumping Jumpfluff
11. Miltank Melee
12.Indubitably Ditto
13. Great Girafarig.

Viz likes using weird words to describe pokemon...

Maxim

Beyond repair
Uh. Great.

I can see some CYee influencee in Viz's namingee. Is this good? I don't mind it personally, as long as they don't copy CY's mistakes (this is, when a game character has a changed name) but so far they're doing great (having rectified Grant to Joey).

There is still an odd-one-out. In CY it was Mega, in Viz it's Archy (however, the ending is still pronounced the same as other -ee names).

Bad that they went for Natee. It'll give them problems when she evolves into Xatu in Emerald Saga.

Glad that they gave Oak's Pokemon names (strange choices but it's still good).

Walker... Sounds like Falkner a bit so it's a good choice.

I'm relieved with Al as well. The other two were predictable. The fact that they kept Al might mean that Chermaine and Keane might retain their CY names too, but let's not jump to conclusions yet.

As for titles, I'm not even commenting this. Usual Viz puns. And what the heck is a "kerfuffle"?

Last edited:

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Usual Viz puns. And what the heck is a "kerfuffle"?
ker·fuf·fle /kərˈfəfəl/
Noun: A commotion or fuss

Come on, this isn't a super-obscure word or anything.

And all the names look okay to me. Natee might cease to make sense when it evolves, but to be honest...I don't really care about that. Especially considering that the only option I could think of that would still make sense with her naming scheme would be "Tuee", and that is just ugly.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I'm not at all upset about the few character/Pokemon name changes, since I never really grew too attached to the old names most characters had in the CY version of the manga to begin with haha. Bach and Antch are odd nickname for Professor Oak's Ledyba and Stantler, but I can see how they came up with those so again, not too much controversy there. I'm glad the Rocket Trio kept their names for the most part as well. What I'm sort of tripping on are those chapter titles. The names are supposed to be "punny", but I just find them to be ridiculous. Indubitably Ditto, then Great Girafarig after that? Had can you go from a semi-complicated title to something so simple? I don't know, the VIZ titles just bother me for some reason, moreso than the CY titles.

Last edited:
the interesting fact about this issue is it coincided on the final month ending in the year '10. And thanks for the update on its release. Now I can order it.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Thanks for the update. I'm pleasantly surprised and not too disappointed with anything. One question though, was Claire's outfit edited in any way? :3
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire1.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire2.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire3.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire4.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/pkm209.jpg

Also, was the preview for the next volume thing kept from the original Japanese version?

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
So is Volume 10 out yet? I know you can pre order it but is it actually out on bookshelves? I didn't think it was available until the 7th of December.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
So is Volume 10 out yet? I know you can pre order it but is it actually out on bookshelves? I didn't think it was available until the 7th of December.
It is. That's how chamo-chan got the info. xD And oh no, that's just the date its supposed to be out everywhere, but quite a few bookstores tend to get them out a few days early.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Man I want this book...I should go to the bookstore. But I'm terrible with directions...last time me and my father tried to find a bookstore............we searched two malls up and down and sti-
Wait! Now I know of another Christmas present~ :D

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
It is. That's how chamo-chan got the info. xD And oh no, that's just the date its supposed to be out everywhere, but quite a few bookstores tend to get them out a few days early.

Thanks. I just found it. It was good but I will miss Mato's chibi style of the manga I really liked the chibi style. The Pokemon's changes aren't to noticeable but the people's design's sure changed. Prof. Oak look's way different then in the other volume's he sure gained weight, well better get use to it because that's how he'll be from now on. Other character's like Bill and Lt. Surge still looked good. And the random people the main characters run into have somewhat of a more design to them face wise. The chapter's themselves were good, though Crystal's nickname for her Hitmonchan is misleading. Funniest bits are Chikorita flexing a muscle to impress Crys and Crys's mode swing attitude when in capture mode.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Thanks. I just found it. It was good but I will miss Mato's chibi style of the manga I really liked the chibi style. The Pokemon's changes aren't to noticeable but the people's design's sure changed. Prof. Oak look's way different then in the other volume's he sure gained weight, well better get use to it because that's how he'll be from now on. Other character's like Bill and Lt. Surge still looked good. And the random people the main characters run into have somewhat of a more design to them face wise. The chapter's themselves were good, though Crystal's nickname for her Hitmonchan is misleading. Funniest bits are Chikorita flexing a muscle to impress Crys and Crys's mode swing attitude when in capture mode.
No problem. I'm really glad you were able to find it as well. I'm so anxious for this volume I'm going to see if my parents will take me out later today and let me get it for myself, haha. Out of curiosity though, did they change Claire any from the pictures I posted above? :3 They may not have, but I was just curious if they did or not. (since with the outfit being so tight, I could see them possibly editing it some) And really? I'm glad you like Mato's style, but to be honest I'm kind of surprised you seem to not like Satoshi's yet. I've never seen you mentioning not liking the art during DP, Platinum, HGSS or even BW, and all those arc's art were done by the same guy who did volume 10 (and onwards), Satoshi Yamamoto. And Oak even appeared in some of the HGSS chapters, and I don't recall any complaints on how different he looked. :3 But I'm sure it'll grow on you soon enough, and his art greatly improves with each arc. As for the changes, I agree that the Pokemon don't look too different and it's mainly the people and settings/background. (all the extra detail) But that's because of two different styles here, and while different I still don't think either are bad. (or that anyone looks bad in Satoshi Yamamoto's art either)

As for Professor Oak, I actually thought Professor Oak looked kind of chubby in Mato's art too, or at least at times. Then again with her using chibis more, it was kind of harder to tell sometimes. And believe it or not, Professor Oak is supposed to be chubby; he's been portrayed that way in his official concept art by Sugimori and even in the anime. So him appearing chubbier isn't that surprising. But otherwise I'm glad you really enjoyed the volume, and didn't mind how he drew anyone else though. In fact, some things about Satoshi, like how he even adds details to even minor characters, I actually quite like. The way he draws tends to remind me more of how your typical anime would look. And it must be a lot of work to constantly do that every chapter, so it's impressive he's managed to keep it up for so many years.

And yeah, I think we can all agree that Crystal's nickname for Hitmonchan is misleading. I get they had to add the 'ee' thing but making it 'lee' makes it sound too much like Hitmonlee. I think calling it "Monee" or its Chuang Yi nickname, "Hitmonee", would have worked a bit better. (especially odd considering Viz even used 4 of Chuang Yi's nicknames for Crystal's Pokemon, and only added "ree" to one of the other names, and just slightly changed the spelling of another)

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
No problem. I'm really glad you were able to find it as well. I'm so anxious for this volume I'm going to see if my parents will take me out later today and let me get it for myself, haha. Out of curiosity though, did they change Claire any from the pictures I posted above? :3 They may not have, but I was just curious if they did or not. (since with the outfit being so tight, I could see them possibly editing it some) And really? I'm glad you like Mato's style, but to be honest I'm kind of surprised you seem to not like Satoshi's yet. I've never seen you mentioning not liking the art during DP, Platinum, HGSS or even BW, and all those arc's art were done by the same guy who did volume 10 (and onwards), Satoshi Yamamoto. And Oak even appeared in some of the HGSS chapters, and I don't recall any complaints on how different he looked. :3 But I'm sure it'll grow on you soon enough, and his art greatly improves with each arc. As for the changes, I agree that the Pokemon don't look too different and it's mainly the people and settings/background. (all the extra detail) But that's because of two different styles here, and while different I still don't think either are bad. (or that anyone looks bad in Satoshi Yamamoto's art either)

As for Professor Oak, I actually thought Professor Oak looked kind of chubby in Mato's art too, or at least at times. Then again with her using chibis more, it was kind of harder to tell sometimes. And believe it or not, Professor Oak is supposed to be chubby; he's been portrayed that way in his official concept art by Sugimori and even in the anime. So him appearing chubbier isn't that surprising. But otherwise I'm glad you really enjoyed the volume, and didn't mind how he drew anyone else though. In fact, some things about Satoshi, like how he even adds details to even minor characters, I actually quite like. The way he draws tends to remind me more of how your typical anime would look. And it must be a lot of work to constantly do that every chapter, so it's impressive he's managed to keep it up for so many years.

And yeah, I think we can all agree that Crystal's nickname for Hitmonchan is misleading. I get they had to add the 'ee' thing but making it 'lee' makes it sound too much like Hitmonlee. I think calling it "Monee" or its Chuang Yi nickname, "Hitmonee", would have worked a bit better. (especially odd considering Viz even used 4 of Chuang Yi's nicknames for Crystal's Pokemon, and only added "ree" to one of the other names, and just slightly changed the spelling of another)

Don't get me wrong, I like the new style I could just tell the difference is all where as before I couldn't. It's probably because I went into DP, Platinum, HGSS, and BW with the style already in mind where is here it happens during the middle of a arc already in progress, but I do like the art. I loved the chibi style of Mato but Satoshi's style is more of a realistic feel to it, and the eye design's of Satoshi are in my opinion better and more developed. And your right Prof. Oak was always suppose to be a little chubby. Chubby Oak FTW. But I really do like Satoshi's style it's more realistic.

Edit: Clair's outfit remains the same. No changes I could see and I just checked. That's good, maybe will get the Gold and Blue/Green (Girl) pat after all...or not.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Don't get me wrong, I like the new style I could just tell the difference is all where as before I couldn't. It's probably because I went into DP, Platinum, HGSS, and BW with the style already in mind where is here it happens during the middle of a arc already in progress, but I do like the art. I loved the chibi style of Mato but Satoshi's style is more of a realistic feel to it, and the eye design's of Satoshi are in my opinion better and more developed. And your right Prof. Oak was always suppose to be a little chubby. Chubby Oak FTW. But I really do like Satoshi's style it's more realistic.
Oh okay. You know it's funny you said that, because I was actually about to edit my post again because I just thought of that. But that actually makes a lot of sense, I can understand how it would surprise you with how different it is and how it just suddenly happens in the middle of an arc like that. (especially since Mato's art is good too and you were so used to it) But that's just the way the situation went down sadly, since they had no other choice. And no worries about you loving Mato's art and her adorable chibi style, I completely understand. :) And I don't mind at all. I was just surprised you didn't seem to like Satoshi's, but I'm glad you like his too. (I agree; I like the way Satoshi designs the eyes better too) Lol at Chubby Oak FTW. Speaking of Oak, I also wanted to say it's okay if you prefer Mato's Oak, I was just adding that Oak is supposed to be chubby so it wasn't just because of the new artist. I think it just shows up more in Satoshi's realistic style artwork since we see his body proportions a bit better.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Edit: Clair's outfit remains the same. No changes I could see and I just checked. That's good, maybe will get the Gold and Blue/Green (Girl) pat after all...or not.

Never gonna happen

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Oh okay. You know it's funny you said that, because I was actually about to edit my post again because I just thought of that. But that actually makes a lot of sense, I can understand how it would surprise you with how different it is and how it just suddenly happens in the middle of an arc like that. (especially since Mato's art is good too and you were so used to it) But that's just the way the situation went down sadly, since they had no other choice. And no worries about you loving Mato's art and her adorable chibi style, I completely understand. :) And I don't mind at all. I was just surprised you didn't seem to like Satoshi's, but I'm glad you like his too. (I agree; I like the way Satoshi designs the eyes better too) Lol at Chubby Oak FTW. Speaking of Oak, I also wanted to say it's okay if you prefer Mato's Oak, I was just adding that Oak is supposed to be chubby so it wasn't just because of the new artist. I think it just shows up more in Satoshi's realistic style artwork since we see his body proportions a bit better.

I like Prof. Oak either way. He's like that the whole FrLg and Emerald arc anyway, for some reason I just assumed it was cause he got older since the old Kanto days, I mean Red and crew were 16 I just assumed Oak was older, but I like both style's and Satoshi does wonderful eye design's They have got to be the best eyes in Pokemon media I've ever seen. Most people aren't even noticeable like I said earlier about Bill and Lt. Surge, you can't really tell there different as with Prof. Elm as well. And while I'll miss the chibi style, the realistic style of Satoshi is a welcomed change.

Lolipiece you are so right. Never going to happen indeed.

Darkxninga

I like Prof. Oak either way. He's like that the whole FrLg and Emerald arc anyway, for some reason I just assumed it was cause he got older since the old Kanto days, I mean Red and crew were 16 I just assumed Oak was older, but I like both style's and Satoshi does wonderful eye design's They have got to be the best eyes in Pokemon media I've ever seen. Most people aren't even noticeable like I said earlier about Bill and Lt. Surge, you can't really tell there different as with Prof. Elm as well. And while I'll miss the chibi style, the realistic style of Satoshi is a welcomed change.

Lolipiece you are so right. Never going to happen indeed.

never gonna happen what? The gold and green(girl) scene? something makes me think they'll edit it to wear gold is just "stareing" at her butt (with his arm patting her butt is erased). Maybe.

Last edited:

Blakexd9

Thanks for the update. I'm pleasantly surprised and not too disappointed with anything. One question though, was Claire's outfit edited in any way? :3
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire1.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire2.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire3.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/claire4.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/1dbad/pkm209.jpg

Also, was the preview for the next volume thing kept from the original Japanese version?

No, they didn't change Claire's outfit at all.

Yes, they did change the next volume preview. In the English version it is a two page preview while in the Japanese version had a 1 page preview.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Awesome! Thanks for that. Sorry my reply is so late, but I actually did see your edit the day you did it. (just a bit later that day) But I finally got the volume and am very pleased to say there is not a single edit in it. (at least visually) I'm pleasantly surprised since I was worried there might be one or two (with Clair's outfit and Eusine's Suicune speedo-like underwear) but thankfully we didn't get a single one surprisingly. This is good, this means we may not get anymore after all. As for dialogue edits, I don't believe anything got milded/watered down, but I'll have to double-check later to see for sure. But the good news is this volume was done very well, and we probably won't have to worry for edits for a couple more volumes. We still have the infamous buttpat to worry about, and I believe there is a scene or two with Sabrina in the hotspring that might get edited. (for the most part you don't see cleavage or anything thanks to the water and mist, but there is one scene where you almost see her butt...) But the good news is after this volume those scenes actually may not get edited -- but I'll explain that more later in a thread I plan on making later today. :p

Never gonna happen
I wouldn't be so sure. :p But, I do definitely agree with you that it is still a possibility no doubt.... We'll just have to wait and see.

Same here. I think he looks good both ways. I do agree he looked really good in Mato's art though. It's just with Satoshi his age shows up more. XD And huh! I had never thought of that. =o I can see why you would think that though, like you said they were older and time had passed so it would make sense for Prof. Oak to look older. But I guess Prof. Oak is just so old now he always looks that way. Poor guy, heheh. :p And he sure does! His eyes are really amazing and unique. I agree with you, I have never seen eyes like that in Pokemon and they are just really fantastic. And you're right; Bill, Lt. Surge, Prof. Elm, and quite a few others don't look that different at all. And even though a few people like Oak do look a bit more different, I don't think any of them look that bad. They're still pretty good regardless. And yeah! Mato's chibi style was nice but a more realistic style definitely isn't a bad thing. I think both styles are nice and work pretty great for the series. It just works, haha.

No, they didn't change Claire's outfit at all.

Yes, they did change the next volume preview. In the English version it is a two page preview while in the Japanese version had a 1 page preview.
Sweet! Thanks again to you and Platinum fan. for telling me!

And sweet! I'm so glad they kept it! And actually, they didn't change it from the Japanese version -- it's still the exact same. Just starting from volume 10 onward the next volume preview is two pages long. :p And out of curiosity, what other volumes had next volume previews before volume 10? I know 9 has a one page preview, but did 8 or any of the others? I have volume 7 and it didn't, so I was just curious if that was a new thing that started when the G/S/C arc started or what.

And, I just got my volume yesterday. I absolutely adored it. It was a really great volume and the translations have gotten really good. I also liked that Crys' Pokemon nicknames weren't too different from the Chuang Yi ones and how they kept the volume just like the Japanese one. (with no edits too) Heck, even the cover and backcover looked better for some reason. (like I noticed on volume 9 and 10, they didn't seem to shrink the backcover image of the Gym Leaders as much) So I dunno, I'm getting really excited for Viz's releases now. Can't wait for the next volume.

For those of you who don't know what to expect next volume, here are just a few of the goodies you have to look forward to: Crys' long-awaited battle with Suicune. (won't spoil the results) Crys' wacky mother finally makes her debut. We get to learn the backstory on Crys' Pokemon, how she got them and why they are so close. Ho-Oh makes a minor appearance, and we learn about it too. (from Eusine) Raikou and Entei finally make their debut as well. Siam and Kurtz are referred to by name next volume, so we'll finally find out what Viz will do with their names as well. (my guess is Siam will stay the same, and they might change Kurtz since it's probably too close to 'Kurt') Janine makes her debut appearance next volume too. We also get to see minor cameos of Red and Sabrina at Mt. Silver, and even get a reappearance from Falkner, Bugsy and Lt. Surge. Speaking of them, we also get to see the Masked Man again and he even gets into a minor battle with someone. Yellow and her uncle finally reappear too. And last but not least, numerous hints are made about Gold and Silver about what happened to them, and you get to see some fairly interesting things too...

That's all I'll tell you for now. :p Don't won't to spoil everything. (although I guess I did already spoil a lot ^^; )
Note: I used a full page for that picture of Crys' mom. Had a hard time deciding on a good one so I just went with that page, and there was no way I could crop it and take some of the panels out. xD But if need-be I can take it out later, but I would think as long as I just posted one page and just occasionally do it it would be okay. Otherwise I'll try to mainly just post panels next time.