• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures Volume 11 (Viz)

Maxim

Beyond repair
I hope I'm not breaking The Mod's order by opening this thread.

Opened it 3 days early, as some bookstores are quick to get the books early. So, has anyone got Viz's Volume 11 of Pokemon Adventures yet?

In this volume we have two very, very important names.
CHERMAINE & KEANE.

Those two are arguably well-received CY names (unlike some of CY's choices), so I'd personally want them to be kept. The naming of Crys's Pokemon has proven that Viz is aware of CY's existence and sometimes uses their choices.

So, what are Chermaine & Keane's names in this version (hope they aren't Shum & Cart or anything like that, I want something human-sounding).

Maxim

Beyond repair
Sham? What a shame (pun intended)...

I think I'll still be calling them Chermaine & Keane.

Vevameefumn

Hello there

Hi folks I have lurked right here for a although and also decided to become a member of up mainly because right now I have to ask several questions!

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Well I have a question of my own then. What are the chapter titles? I'm mainly curious about Rounds 130-132 and 137-138, since in the original their title was only VS Suicune I, II, and III and VS Raikou & Entei I and II. I could be wrong but I believe this is one of the first times we have a more than one part title, so I'm curious what Viz did with it.

Fire Ranger

Power Ranger Trainer
130-132 "Suddenly Suicune" Parts 1, 2 and 3.

137-138 "Really Raikou & Entirely Entei" Parts 1 & 2

The puns are abundant. Anymore questions, let me know. I'll be buying the Viz version from now on. I own 1st editions of Vol 1 &2 and the rest are the current ones out now. So I have Vol. 1 -11.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
We're going to need a full list of chapters

new characters etc..

Fire Ranger

Power Ranger Trainer
Ok, just finished reading the book, I really like it.

Chapter Titles:

130-132: Suddenly Suicune
133: Absolutely Azumarill
134: Hurray for Heracross
135: Lively Larvitar
136: Crossing Crobat
137-137: Really Raikou & Entirely Entei
139: Raising Raichu
140: Do Si-Do with Dodrio
141: Hello, Lickitung
142: Really Remoraid

Cuts: The scene where Crystal's mom (no name given) slaps her is changed for her giving her an EPIC GLARE! But the weird thing is that the Fisherman who hangs out with Yellow keeps his cigarette and Lt. Surge's Raichu still threatens Morty with stabbing him with his tail. Go figure.

Maxim

Beyond repair
Cuts: The scene where Crystal's mom (no name given) slaps her is changed for her giving her an EPIC GLARE!

MUST.SEE.THAT!!!

Were there any "Speed Ball"-esque errors in this volume? (For example, in CY version they called Clear Bells "Invisible Bells" and RageCandyBars were called "Buns of Rage").

Fire Ranger

Power Ranger Trainer
Nope, Clear Bell is still the Clear Bell. RageCandy Bars is still RageCandy Bars.

The "EPIC GLARE!" is still the same, just her mother doesn't slap her. She still falls down and holds her face. Its just weird, but not a deal breaker.

matt0044

The "EPIC GLARE!" is still the same, just her mother doesn't slap her. She still falls down and holds her face. Its just weird, but not a deal breaker.

That edit could've been better. They should've kept the slap but edited it to make it seem less harsh.

I mean, the whole EPIC GLARE thing seems a bit laughable.

Hm...it's not a big deal now, but it makes you wonder what's going to happen in the RS arc. Sapphire's leaf bikini, people dying, Norman beating the crap out of Ruby...

JB2448

Slice of Pecan Pie
I honestly want to see how they censored this scene. Can anyone scan or take a photo of it?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ok, just finished reading the book, I really like it.

Chapter Titles:

130-132: Suddenly Suicune
133: Absolutely Azumarill
134: Hurray for Heracross
135: Lively Larvitar
136: Crossing Crobat
137-137: Really Raikou & Entirely Entei
139: Raising Raichu
140: Do Si-Do with Dodrio
141: Hello, Lickitung
142: Really Remoraid

Cuts: The scene where Crystal's mom (no name given) slaps her is changed for her giving her an EPIC GLARE! But the weird thing is that the Fisherman who hangs out with Yellow keeps his cigarette and Lt. Surge's Raichu still threatens Morty with stabbing him with his tail. Go figure.

I'm actually digging these title puns. I used to hate how punny the titles in the Viz edition of the manga were, but I think I'm finally starting to enjoy them. As for the cuts in the manga: I was sure that the slapping scene would be cut out, but I thought for sure that the cigarette and the references to stabbing would be cut out as well. It seems odd for them to keep drugs and death threats in the manga. I guess Viz only removes violence when it involves humans hitting each other :x

Fire Ranger

Power Ranger Trainer
Last edited:

matt0044

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
As for the cuts in the manga: I was sure that the slapping scene would be cut out, but I thought for sure that the cigarette and the references to stabbing would be cut out as well. It seems odd for them to keep drugs and death threats in the manga. I guess Viz only removes violence when it involves humans hitting each other :x
I wasn't. In fact I wasn't expecting them to censor anything in this volume at all, especially since they hadn't in volume 10. (which I was almost sure would have had a couple censors in it) As far as I'm concerned the scene shouldn't have been cut out, because it wasn't that violent or bad. I mean if they kept Blue getting her arm cut off which was a lot more violent; surely they could keep a simple slap. In fact, Crystal actually needed that slap to help her calm down and to help her gather her focus again. The cigarettes being left in doesn't surprise me though, since they were left in the other volumes Yellow's Uncle was in. And the death threats being left in doesn't surprise me either, since they've kept all of them so far as well. The slap really shocks and disappoints me though. Right when I was getting hopeful for their future releases too. I mean, I really thought we wouldn't be getting anymore censors, at least for a good long while. You see, Viz always keeps violence, even in their kids mangas. I've never once heard of them editing something because of violence. Their censors are usually more for nudity, sexuality, religious symbols and drug reference only, so the fact they censored a single slap that wasn't even violent is very worrying for future arcs, like R/S.

Then again maybe kids manga are just the exception though. They shouldn't be, since they never censored this kind of stuff in some of their other kids mangas, but their release of Special just seems to be different for the most part. I mean they also changed the name of the two Rocket Executives in this volume, when Viz ALWAYS keeps manga-only characters names. Changing the guy's name wasn't too surprising since it was so close to Kurt, but they have no excuse over the female Executive, Siam. Ah well, nothing we can do about it now I guess.

I'm probably just taking this so hard because this is so surprising to me, and happened right when I was giving in and becoming hopeful for Viz's future releases. So this happening just knocks me right back down again. The name change of Siam disappointed me, but it wasn't too bad and I did somewhat expect it. But the slap edit just felt uncalled for to me, especially when I've seen slaps like that left in other kids media. (and especially since Viz has left much worse things in the manga so far) Now I'm worried for later arcs all over again...And I'm not really sure how I feel about things with their releases now.

Ah well. On a random sidenote, out of curiosity, did the editor change again for this volume? The editor in volume 10 was Annette Roman. (the reason I'm asking, in case anyone is curious; is because the editor is the person in charge of what is censored and what is not censored in a volume)

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Just for people who want to know what it looks like:

JAP: http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1207/pokemonspecialv11058.jpg

Viz USA: http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7981/image69a.jpg

Like I said, its not that bad, just weird.

Wow, that was weird, and also a bit humorous for some reason. I just like how Crystal flinches away from her mother's glare like that. I haven't seen anyone flinch away from a glare in real life, so it seems sort of comical. Still, if you didn't read the Japanese version of the volume, you probably wouldn't have noticed anything out of place during that scene; you'd just assume that Crystal was scared. Viz has some pretty good editors it seems.

Fire Ranger

Power Ranger Trainer
No, same Editor, Annette Roman. But, it might. I checked Vol. 3 and she was the editor of the second edition. So evidence?

Maybe we can send an e-mail asking them to not censor the violence and change it back?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Thanks for that.

What's weirder is how Viz was able to edit it. How does that work?
I agree. XD Especially since they edited pretty well, but did kind of sloppy job on the Pokeboobs. It still looks awkward though.

I just like how Crystal flinches away from her mother's glare like that. I haven't seen anyone flinch away from a glare in real life, so it seems sort of comical. Still, if you didn't read the Japanese version of the volume, you probably wouldn't have noticed anything out of place during that scene; you'd just assume that Crystal was scared. Viz has some pretty good editors it seems.
I disagree. By how her mother's shoulders are in that panel, it looks awkward and stiff for her arm to be down. You can tell she originally had it extended. Crys' reaction is also a bit overdramatic for just a simple glare, especially since she has a face that looks like she's crying from pain. It's well-edited, but you can still tell there is something a bit off in my opinion.

No, same Editor, Annette Roman. But, it might. I checked Vol. 3 and she was the editor of the second edition. So evidence?

Maybe we can send an e-mail asking them to not censor the violence and change it back?
Huh, that's even weirder. o.o And really? That does seem to hint at a connection then. But I must say I'm surprised though, she keeps Claire's tight outfit and Eusine's speedo but takes out a simple slap and Pokeboobs? Odd. XD You would think either she'd edit it all out or not edit anything, not an odd hybrid of both. Thanks for the answer though, especially since I haven't been able to go to the bookstore to look at or buy the volume yet.

Maybe. I don't really know how much good it would do though. ^^' Might be worth a shot.