• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures volume 42

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Are they actually here to undermine the Four Generals' plans? Why would they care? etc.

....Why wouldn't they care?

Last time I checked.

A) Giovanni loves his son. There's no way he'd let them do this.

B) Lance was actively trying to stop them before this started.

C) Pryce became a good guy moments before he "died".

As for Pryce coming back. Dialga's time warping back in DP saved him or Celebi rescued him.

Only explanations.

Macromind101

Thanks, Coronis!

"Hate triangle" is a perfect way to describe it. There's just that enormous tension there--and it raises so many questions, like, as Evilchibi_pichu mentioned, does Gio even KNOW that Pryce kidnapped Silver? If he does, why is Pryce still alive? How on earth did those three ever team up in the first place? What transpired? Are they actually here to undermine the Four Generals' plans? Why would they care? etc. That's the power of the reveal on that very last page, simple and wordless and yet setting up a truly spectacular cliffhanger. Very well played, Mr. Kusaka. Quite impressive.

Like I said before, Giovanni is not the kind of villain who would be oblivious to a fact that was revealed to the audience a decade ago the way I see it. Lance probably told him, which is among the numerous methods of how Giovanni would know who kidnapped his son. And also, I think (I might be wrong) it became internationally known that the leader of the Johto leaders was the one who tried to freeze over Johto and Kanto and kidnapped children while he was at it. The time span between the GSC chapter and the HGSS chapter was five years, plenty of time for the news to get to Giovanni.

Also, looking at the kind of person Giovanni is, I would think that he wouldn't be all mad that Pryce kidnapped Giovanni when he was 2 years old. Sure, Silver was kidnapped but how is that out of the norm of what Giovanni did on a regular basis? (okay this argument is kinda bad so disregard this one if you want to) And it's not like Pryce ever tortured Silver or anything. If anything, he toughened Silver up for the real world. If Pryce never trained Silver, then he would have never been tough enough to go through all the crap he's been through (and notice how Silver probably went through the most crap than any of the Dexholders have gone through). Pryce was the one who trained Silver to be a master of trading and so if it weren't for his training, Silver would never have discovered how to evolve Rhydon. Even if Silver never was kidnapped, I don't think Giovanni would have exactly been a lovey-dovey father to him either. Giovanni most likely would have made Silver go through some harsh training and tried to raise him to one day become a formidable crime lord. Pryce kinda fulfilled that role. So yes, Giovanni would have been pissed when he found out that Pryce was the one who kidnapped Silver but probably not to the extent where he was so mad that he would kill him.

Last edited:

Macromind101

So pryce has a change of heart and is actually good, Lance already saw the errors of his ways earlier, so why can't Giovanni finally find his son and disband Team Rocket despite Sird's protests?
Besides, this sets up BW's anti-hero / misunderstood hero and Rood for BW2.

Yes that's what I'm saying. Giovanni found his son so he has no more motives for Team Rocket anymore. According to FRLG, Giovanni is dying which was why he made some desperate resorts to find Silver. And looking at the (pretty sad) scene in FRLG where Silver is analyzing his mixed feelings for having Giovanni as a father, revealing that Giovanni is still evil would completely ruin the scene for people who are looking back. That's why me and a couple other posters are confused by the last scene in Volume 42. Giovanni can simply tell Archer and the other generals to stop the crazy plan and everything is fixed. So what's the problem and why is the trio of ex-villains necessary?

And btw can someone answer this question? Was Giovanni's motives in the RBG chapter tied to Silver in any way? Of course, I know that it wasn't in the writers' minds at the time since Silver didn't even exist then, let alone him being Giovanni's son but looking back at it now. I would think that if Giovanni truly loved and cared about his son, then he would be looking for him the minute he was kidnapped and not causing chaos trying to take over the world. It shouldn't take the news of "You have 6 months to live" for Giovanni to get the motivation to look for his son.

Last edited:

ElectricBassClef

Last time I checked.

I suppose that's fair, although I'm still wondering if Pryce would have more to his motives than just being a good guy. I mean, all that happened at the end of the GSC arc is that he realized the error of his ways and accepted his fate to be lost in time. It didn't necessarily turn him into a full-blown hero. (Is that what Lance has been up to? I haven't had much luck following his sub-plot so far.)

As for Pryce coming back. Dialga's time warping back in DP saved him or Celebi rescued him.

Only explanations.

Yeah, but if it's Celebi, that raises more questions: What are its motives for helping him, especially after he hounded it and imprisoned it and all? Does Pryce's reappearance have anything to do with the trouble at hand, which he (according to one theory) may be especially suited to fight, or was it just luck? We can make educated guesses, but we can't know.

MacroMind101, re. the post where you quoted me, I guess it all comes down to how you interpret Giovanni's character.

All I was really trying to say is that I like how Mr. Kusaka left us with so much to theorize and speculate about, as we're doing now!

Macromind101

MacroMind101, re. the post where you quoted me, I guess it all comes down to how you interpret Giovanni's character.

All I was really trying to say is that I like how Mr. Kusaka left us with so much to theorize and speculate about, as we're doing now!

Yeah I know...God I wish a release date would come already and hopefully it's soon...hopefully before the end of the year. It's only been three days while Volume 42 was out and I think I already made 30 posts pertaining to the topic of Volume 42's "alternative ending". I don't think I can take however longer it will take for Volume 43 to be out of this. XD

EDIT: Okay I read Coronis's summary once again and now I have one more speculation of what the problem at the end of Volume 42 could be. Could it be that Archer became so maniacal that he lost his voice of reason and now he became a megalomaniac so his intentions involve the control of Arceus rather than the return of Giovanni and the good of Team Rocket? It's either that or a greater evil behind the plot. I wonder what it could be.

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Sorry I don't know Japanese names so I don't know who you're referring to. XD But something tells me that Giovanni already knows that Pryce was the one who kidnapped his son. All three are adults so they should have resolved their differences before teaming up. I don't think it would be a very good plot if past affairs interfere with the current teamwork. Save that for the teen dramas. Lance may have told Giovanni anyway. There must be something very grim going on for three of the most unlikely people to make a trio to team up together.

I very much doubt they have resolved their differences. Just because their adults doesn't mean they have gotten over it; Sakaki/Giovanni doesn't seem to be the type to let something like the kidnapping of his son off lightly. If I remember correctly, he started Team Rocket just to find his son and (ignoring the plotholes between RGB and FRLG) letting Yanagi/Pryce off easy would make little sense. There has to be fight! Sakaki probably had plans for Silver and they were all ruined thanks to Yanagi and plus what Yanagi did with his gang during GSC. Sakaki has every reason to kick his butt as far as I'm concerned.

And I think it would work better as a plot if past affairs did come up because it shows that the past has an effect on the future. It would make less for these 3 to work together perfectly since that would need trust and there's no way they should trust each other. This team-up should be pretty doomed from the start, so no drama isn't very good writing, there has to be a little (even a flashback will be better than nothing) to make us believe in the team-up. It's pretty possible that Wataru/Lance said nothing so Sakaki and Yanagi wouldn't fight and will team-up. Ignorance is bliss after all. I do agree there has to be something grim happening for this team-up to happen. I'm interested in seeing just how grim.

Last edited:

Macromind101

I very much doubt they have resolved their differences. Just because their adults doesn't mean they have gotten over it; Sakaki/Giovanni doesn't seem to be the type to let something like the kidnapping of his son off lightly. If I remember correctly, he started Team Rocket just to find his son and (ignoring the plotholes between RGB and FRLG) letting Yanagi/Pryce off easy would make little sense. There has to be fight! Sakaki probably had plans for Silver and they were all ruined thanks to Yanagi and plus what Yanagi did with his gang during GSC. Sakaki has every reason to kick his butt as far as I'm concerned.

And I think it would work better as a plot if past affairs did come up because it shows that the past has an effect on the future. It would make less for these 3 to work together perfectly since that would need trust and there's no way they should trust each other. This team-up should be pretty doomed from the start, so no drama isn't very good writing, there has to be a little (even a flashback will be better than nothing) to make us believe in the team-up. It's pretty possible that Wataru/Lance said nothing so Sakaki and Yanagi wouldn't fight and will team-up. Ignorance is bliss after all. I do agree there has to be something grim happening for this team-up to happen. I'm interested in seeing just how grim.

Okay I guess what you said makes sense...Giovanni may be ignorant of Pryce's doings and it may come up during the final battle. It'll still interfere with the main plot but I guess a little drama is okay. But I still hope that their inner conflicts don't split them up (during the battle). The three biggest and original ex-villains teaming up for the final fight of the last generation that ties in with the previous ones is too epic to be ruined.

e9310103838

Yes that's what I'm saying. Giovanni found his son so he has no more motives for Team Rocket anymore. According to FRLG, Giovanni is dying which was why he made some desperate resorts to find Silver. And looking at the (pretty sad) scene in FRLG where Silver is analyzing his mixed feelings for having Giovanni as a father, revealing that Giovanni is still evil would completely ruin the scene for people who are looking back. That's why me and a couple other posters are confused by the last scene in Volume 42. Giovanni can simply tell Archer and the other generals to stop the crazy plan and everything is fixed. So what's the problem and why is the trio of ex-villains necessary?

And btw can someone answer this question? Was Giovanni's motives in the RBG chapter tied to Silver in any way? Of course, I know that it wasn't in the writers' minds at the time since Silver didn't even exist then, let alone him being Giovanni's son but looking back at it now. I would think that if Giovanni truly loved and cared about his son, then he would be looking for him the minute he was kidnapped and not causing chaos trying to take over the world. It shouldn't take the news of "You have 6 months to live" for Giovanni to get the motivation to look for his son.

Giovanni operats Team Rocket not related with Silver kidnapped.

Team Rocket possibly as early as Silver was kidnapped before.

And Giovanni is not dead, he just fainted and have serious ailments might live shortly.

I only hope that Kusaka to have a good explanation to "bleach" Pryce,

not a simple sentence let Giovanni (and Silver) forgive Pryce, or just said, "I do not forgive you, but we do reconciliation" like something...... :631:

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster

Last time I checked.

Only explanations.

I actually hope that Dialga theory comes true. Nice little connection to DP chapters right there. Pryce can even pick up his winter coat from Sinnoh while he's at it. XD

Also someone mentioned Pokemon are not evil by nature and usually act bad when a evil team has control of them. That is not exactly true. Giratina in the Platinum chapters was a flat out jerk and a bully, even without a human telling it what to do as it took Palkia, Dialga, and Cyrus to it's Distortion World. It calmed down in the end, but it could be considered a bad Pokemon. Which is why I can't wait for a DP remake to see what becomes of Giratina in the future.

I kinda hope Arceus goes mad after everything that has happened with the Team Rocket Generals and tries to just blow up the world and all the humans in it, Pokemon included. Arceus would make a grand final opponent considering it's status in the Pokemon world and all.

G-SANtos

Okay I guess what you said makes sense...Giovanni may be ignorant of Pryce's doings and it may come up during the final battle. It'll still interfere with the main plot but I guess a little drama is okay. But I still hope that their inner conflicts don't split them up (during the battle). The three biggest and original ex-villains teaming up for the final fight of the last generation that ties in with the previous ones is too epic to be ruined.
Generation V still ties with the previous ones. We still have the Pokémon Encyclopedia (PokéDex), a device explicitly created by Ookido (Oak) from Kanto. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, I think in the manga Ookido is the only person to manufacture them.

e9310103838

Generation V still ties with the previous ones. We still have the Pokémon Encyclopedia (PokéDex), a device explicitly created by Ookido (Oak) from Kanto. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, I think in the manga Ookido is the only person to manufacture them.

And manufacture with Prof.Rowan jointly.

Maybe also with Prof. Cedric Juniper...... almost certainly.

And I hope that PMSP have been able to continue to refer to the old dex holders,

unless they intend to never-ending lol ;071;

Recon

PRYCE IS BACK? DA HECK? *mind blown*

We better get a good explanation for this, but I'm really excited for what's gonna happen.

Macromind101

And manufacture with Prof.Rowan jointly.

Maybe also with Prof. Cedric Juniper...... almost certainly.

And I hope that PMSP have been able to continue to refer to the old dex holders,

unless they intend to never-ending lol ;071;

I don't see why Game Freak had to tie in Black and White 2 to the previous generations. I kinda liked the idea of a "fresh new start". Idk if they had that intention when they made Black and White but then changed their minds when they made Black and White 2. Well, the region is still far away and the amount of non-Unova Pokemon available in the wild before beating the game is still kept at somewhat minimum (well actually the reason for making non-Unova Pokemon available early in the game may be to keep the necessity of PokeTransfer at minimum). If there's no remake in Gen V and references to previous generations are kept at minimal, then I still cling to the idea of Gen V being a "fresh new start".

G-SANtos

I don't see why Game Freak had to tie in Black and White 2 to the previous generations. I kinda liked the idea of a "fresh new start". Idk if they had that intention when they made Black and White but then changed their minds when they made Black and White 2. Well, the region is still far away and the amount of non-Unova Pokemon available in the wild before beating the game is still kept at somewhat minimum (well actually the reason for making non-Unova Pokemon available early in the game may be to keep the necessity of PokeTransfer at minimum). If there's no remake in Gen V and references to previous generations are kept at minimal, then I still cling to the idea of Gen V being a "fresh new start".
The World Tournament was mentioned in BW. Plus, we still have Handsome (Looker) and Shirona (Cynthia) in BW, which explicitly ties Generation V to the previous ones. The World Tournament is an anniversary crossover, every Japanese franchise is doing these.

By the way, Generation III, from what I heard, was also announced as a "fresh new start", but look at what we got.

Rex Kamex

Pryce... =)

I hoped an altering of time would bring him back, but then it didn't happen in the magazines.

The World Tournament was mentioned in BW. Plus, we still have Handsome (Looker) and Shirona (Cynthia) in BW, which explicitly ties Generation V to the previous ones. The World Tournament is an anniversary crossover, every Japanese franchise is doing these.

By the way, Generation III, from what I heard, was also announced as a "fresh new start", but look at what we got.

Well Hoenn had a lot of Pokemon from previous gens, and it had pre-evos for two Gen II Pokemon, but even so, Ruby and Sapphire weren't able to be linked with any of the previous games- R/G/B/Y/G/S/C could all link with each other. And they remade Red and Green/Blue for Gen III as well.

R/S/E/Fr/Lg could communicate with D/P/P/Hg/Ss, which could communicate with B/W/B2/W2. So there's a "chain" of connection with Gens I and II, and also one with Gens III, IV, and V (although not III to V directly).

IcyKerpymon

Lan challenges you!
just something I'm not getting, I know the Manga is different from the games but, even knowing that, I think Giovanni is not going to die because, 7 years after the events of HeartGold/SoulSilver, Giovanni competes in the World Tournament in Black2/White2... I know I might be mixing up too many things but... maybe he isn't going to die afterall...

Dreamingflower

Trying out new games

Let's not forget about a certain psychic Pokemon using elite four with psychic power.

I think with the fresh start they mean experience the main games like you never had. BW are indeed unlike their predecessor games. But Kusaka doesn't need to follow the games 100% and he never did. So what if they say the games are a new start. You think Kusaka would follow that completely? If he wants the other dexholders to appear in BW2 arc then he can do that.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
just something I'm not getting, I know the Manga is different from the games but, even knowing that, I think Giovanni is not going to die because, 7 years after the events of HeartGold/SoulSilver, Giovanni competes in the World Tournament in Black2/White2... I know I might be mixing up too many things but... maybe he isn't going to die afterall...

This pokes a huge hole in your theory.

This manga is not the games.

There's no guarantee that anyone will show up in the PWT. Or even if it's gonna appear.