• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures Volume 9 (Viz)

Chaotic Neutral

I hope I can get this volume soon, even though I don't live in the U.S I travel there every 1-3 months so if I get it, I'll write my impressions of the volume.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
^ Yeah, just a little bit over. It sure doesn't look like it does though!

I know for a fact Espeon had a nickname at least, in both Chuang Yi's version and in Japan too. Coronis noted it before when he was talking about the nicknames in the Japanese version and his English equivalents for them.

I know, I just didn't feel like searching for it but I wanted to read it for myself. xD

Okay, well that's good to know at least. Thanks so much for the info! ^__^ Glad to know Viz picked up on this too, and that they aren't just adding random nicknames for some reason. I quite like the Japanese ones too. The only thing about Viz though is I get using the American Pokemon names for the nicknames, but must they change it completely from the Japanese too? I mean I don't think keeping tan or taro is a bad thing at all. Ah well though, I don't mind Whitney's US Pokemon nicknames, since they are still nice and cute.

Something I don't understand either. How is -taro any worse than -bo? In fact, I think -bo is much worse than -taro since it sounds kinda silly, especially for a guy like Gold. While -tan might be too Japanese for them, couldn't they just left it half instead of repeating that half twice (as in "Mil" instead of "Mil Mil")? Mil Mil sounds like something a little kid would call their pokemon and Akane acts more aggressive in PokeSpe instead of a crybaby like in the game. Just me, though.

For Smeargle - pg. 34
For Espeon - pg. 203

Thanks! Akane says "Doble no Doble-kun", suggesting that Kurumi just adds -kun to her Doble, which isn't really a nickname. Just her being a bit polite and nice to the pokemon. Which is also why I couldn't find it. xD

Can't wait to read the new volume!

I haven't bought it yet, I'll try to remember to do so tomorrow.

Let's hope it's as good as the previous volume!

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
There were over 200 pages in that Volume? o_O
Yeah. I believe every volume of Special is over 200 pages. Heck, I think most mangas' typical volumes have over 200 pages. =3

I know, I just didn't feel like searching for it but I wanted to read it for myself. xD
Oh okay. xD That works then. If memory serves isn't the Japanese and Chuang Yi name Vui, while Viz's is Vee? It's the same thing just different spellings. Kind of disappointing though -- I heard from a friend they didn't keep Red's nicknames for the rest of his Pokemon. :/ So there is a Vee and an occasional Pika, but the rest of them just use their specieis name. So much for my hope Viz would pull a Chuang Yi and give Red and Blue (girl)'s Pokemon nicknames later like Chuang Yi did. =o=

Something I don't understand either. How is -taro any worse than -bo? In fact, I think -bo is much worse than -taro since it sounds kinda silly, especially for a guy like Gold. While -tan might be too Japanese for them, couldn't they just left it half instead of repeating that half twice (as in "Mil" instead of "Mil Mil")? Mil Mil sounds like something a little kid would call their pokemon and Akane acts more aggressive in PokeSpe instead of a crybaby like in the game. Just me, though.
Exactly! I definitely agree. I do agree with you though that tan may have been "too Japanese" for them, but couldn't they have just left it half as well? I mean I'm kind of surprised they doubled them, especially since their font size is so big. *still hoping it'll get smaller and better in volume 10* You do have a point though, I never thought of that. I like Mil Mil but I don't care for the others as much, and you are kind of right they sound too "little kiddy" for Whitney. Especially since she acts more aggressive and older in PokeSpe. It might have worked for the games though, since she acted more immature and crybabyish there. XD Ah well, I guess we should just still be glad they even got nicknames in the first place. Poor Red and Blue just didn't luck out there. (although we can possibly blame that on them trying to stay consistent with their original release all those years ago)

Thanks! Akane says "Doble no Doble-kun", suggesting that Kurumi just adds -kun to her Doble, which isn't really a nickname. Just her being a bit polite and nice to the pokemon. Which is also why I couldn't find it. xD
Interesting! No wonder there was no note and we couldn't find it. How nice of her though. xD Although isn't -kun also a term of endearment, like 'dear'? XD Because if so, I can kind of understand why Viz gave her Pokemon a nickname then, since nicknames are usually seen as terms of endearment here. (especially for Pokemon, since in America we don't quite have suffixes like -kun or anything) And I guess they followed the pattern they used with Whitney (since it was Smear Smear) because they are good friends in the manga.

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Oh okay. xD That works then. If memory serves isn't the Japanese and Chuang Yi name Vui, while Viz's is Vee? It's the same thing just different spellings. Kind of disappointing though -- I heard from a friend they didn't keep Red's nicknames for the rest of his Pokemon. :/ So there is a Vee and an occasional Pika, but the rest of them just use their specieis name. So much for my hope Viz would pull a Chuang Yi and give Red and Blue (girl)'s Pokemon nicknames later like Chuang Yi did. =o=

Yeah, Red did keep Vui despite it being an Espeon, I had thought it would be a shorten version of Eifie (though, I think he did use Eifie fully once during the battle)... That's kinda odd since if they think the audience is mostly younger kids they won't know where 'Vee' first appeared. The other pokemon have easy names to make nicknames out of, so Viz is just lazy.

Exactly! I definitely agree. I do agree with you though that tan may have been "too Japanese" for them, but couldn't they have just left it half as well? I mean I'm kind of surprised they doubled them, especially since their font size is so big. *still hoping it'll get smaller and better in volume 10* You do have a point though, I never thought of that. I like Mil Mil but I don't care for the others as much, and you are kind of right they sound too "little kiddy" for Whitney. Especially since she acts more aggressive and older in PokeSpe. It might have worked for the games though, since she acted more immature and crybabyish there. XD Ah well, I guess we should just still be glad they even got nicknames in the first place. Poor Red and Blue just didn't luck out there. (although we can possibly blame that on them trying to stay consistent with their original release all those years ago)

Is the font too big? When I looked through their volumes it didn't look that big but I could be wrong. Their nicknames would fit game!Akane's style perfectly! xD For cute, I think using something like Mily instead of Mil Mil would be better. It'll be cute like in the original but not too cute or kiddy for the more aggressive Akane. Pfff, I say if you're going to release brand new books of something that was originally out, you better do it right the second time! Most buyers would probably mostly buy the new books even if they have the old ones. The new ones look a bit better overall.

Interesting! No wonder there was no note and we couldn't find it. How nice of her though. xD Although isn't -kun also a term of endearment, like 'dear'? XD Because if so, I can kind of understand why Viz gave her Pokemon a nickname then, since nicknames are usually seen as terms of endearment here. (especially for Pokemon, since in America we don't quite have suffixes like -kun or anything) And I guess they followed the pattern they used with Whitney (since it was Smear Smear) because they are good friends in the manga.

Actually, I think 'dear' doesn't fit -kun and how it is used too much. That's more of -chan's style or even -sama's. -kun, when used, seems to be mostly used to be polite but not overly polite to those that aren't superior/older to us. It also shows closeness but not close enough to use first names. Girls use it for boys older and younger than them while boys don't unless they're being really polite (and are probably shy). If I'm not mistaken, -tan, -chan are the usual nicknames for pets in Japan. So, I think Kurumi is using -kun to show the pokemon was like a friend and one she must of recently gotten. Maybe the Doble had a -tan suffix, so Kurumi switched it -kun as Kurumi doesn't seem like the type to use that type of suffixes. She does called Gold 'Gold-kun'....

...I think I confused myself...

But, I see what you mean. They probably considered -kun a nickname as she was using it for a pokemon. I definitely think Akane had some influence on the nickname. xD

blob

Anyone else hate that Bulbapedia is now using the Viz nicknames? Most of them suck.

BTW Vui is pronounced Vwee (Like how Buizel say Bwee), not Vee.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Anyone else hate that Bulbapedia is now using the Viz nicknames? Most of them suck.

Bulbapedia's about using official names when possible(while noting Japanese/really popular fan-names elsewhere), so that's no surprise. And I really don't care about the nicknames one way or another, since they're all decent to me. I just wish we could standardize fan names for the numerous characters we won't be seeing for ages - Half the people use Coronis' names, the other half use the proper Japanese names, and a few stragglers use Chuang Yi names.

Yeah, Red did keep Vui despite it being an Espeon, I had thought it would be a shorten version of Eifie (though, I think he did use Eifie fully once during the battle)... That's kinda odd since if they think the audience is mostly younger kids they won't know where 'Vee' first appeared.
The audience is mostly kids, but I'd hope the writer would give them a little credit and assume they know what Espeon evolves from. Besides, suddenly changing nicknames would be odd(or maybe that's just me and my resistance to renaming my own Pokemon).

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
The audience is mostly kids, but I'd hope the writer would give them a little credit and assume they know what Espeon evolves from. Besides, suddenly changing nicknames would be odd(or maybe that's just me and my resistance to renaming my own Pokemon).

Not that 'Vee', but I can see my logic is a little weird. It's not that I don't think the younger kids won't know where its from, but rather why they allowed that nickname and not the others. The other nicknames would be just as easy to get where they're from. I was thinking that maybe they allowed because 'Vee' has a past usage thanks to 'Veemon' back in the day. But, then I thought that younger kids won't know too much of Veemon since it doesn't really appear anymore/much nowadays unless via games. And the anime is past showing Eevee, so... yeah, my way of thinking is weird.
Rethinking it, I guess because Eevee still appears in the games more often than other pokes is why they allowed that nickname. Even then, we just had another Kantou with all its pokes, so any kid should know their Kantou pokemon... It just doesn't make sense to me why only Pika and Vee when Saur and Poli are perfect too.

Doesn't it depend on what name you gave before they evolved though? I, myself, try to think in advance what name would fit the whole line. But, Red just shorts the name and I thought that maybe he switched once it evolved as it isn't an Eevee anymore. I can understand why he didn't change it, though, so it was just my mistake.

blob

Not that 'Vee', but I can see my logic is a little weird. It's not that I don't think the younger kids won't know where its from, but rather why they allowed that nickname and not the others. The other nicknames would be just as easy to get where they're from. I was thinking that maybe they allowed because 'Vee' has a past usage thanks to 'Veemon' back in the day. But, then I thought that younger kids won't know too much of Veemon since it doesn't really appear anymore/much nowadays unless via games. And the anime is past showing Eevee, so... yeah, my way of thinking is weird.
Rethinking it, I guess because Eevee still appears in the games more often than other pokes is why they allowed that nickname. Even then, we just had another Kantou with all its pokes, so any kid should know their Kantou pokemon... It just doesn't make sense to me why only Pika and Vee when Saur and Poli are perfect too.

Doesn't it depend on what name you gave before they evolved though? I, myself, try to think in advance what name would fit the whole line. But, Red just shorts the name and I thought that maybe he switched once it evolved as it isn't an Eevee anymore. I can understand why he didn't change it, though, so it was just my mistake.

Hmm... I was sad when it evolved into Espeon, because now it's not as good as it used to be, when it was transforming into Flareon, Vaporeon, and Jolteon.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Yeah, Red did keep Vui despite it being an Espeon, I had thought it would be a shorten version of Eifie (though, I think he did use Eifie fully once during the battle)... That's kinda odd since if they think the audience is mostly younger kids they won't know where 'Vee' first appeared. The other pokemon have easy names to make nicknames out of, so Viz is just lazy.
You would think so. I won't blame them since they may not have known they were going to have that Pokemon evolve, but had they known they should have kept it something like Ei or something, that both Pokemon had in common. Or have made it a nickname that wasn't related to the species name so it would work for both. Ah well. That's interesting he used the full species name once during battle though. :3 I don't quite recall him doing that. (then again, I read the Chuang Yi version so...) On your point about the kids though, the bright side is I believe there is a flashback where Red remembers how it used to be an Eevee and how he got it, so the little kids here should still be able to know, especially if they really are reading the full series. But yeah, I agree. XD Viz really is just lazy at times.

Is the font too big? When I looked through their volumes it didn't look that big but I could be wrong. Their nicknames would fit game!Akane's style perfectly! xD For cute, I think using something like Mily instead of Mil Mil would be better. It'll be cute like in the original but not too cute or kiddy for the more aggressive Akane. Pfff, I say if you're going to release brand new books of something that was originally out, you better do it right the second time! Most buyers would probably mostly buy the new books even if they have the old ones. The new ones look a bit better overall.
I always thought so. I believe other people have pointed it out as well. Especially when you compare it to Chuang Yi's, where they had a smaller font size so they could fit everything better. Maybe that's just me though; or maybe they changed it in the volumes you looked through. (what all ones did you check? I'm actually kind of hoping they make the font size smaller by volume 10 at the latest...) Yeah, they really would. xD That's true -- and that could work. =3 I quite like it too. The only problem is they gave Yellow the -y names, so they probably wouldn't want more than one person having the same way of naming. =o= That's also probably why they didn't give Blue's (female) Pokemon nicknames, since for the most part it would be -y as well. Man, they so should just follow Chuang Yi's nicknames or consult us instead! (or Coronis) xD SAME! I say that as well! Either stay completely like the first release (i.e. no censorship) or at least fix your previous errors in the second, like giving Red and Blue Pokemon nicknames, making Blue the girl and Green the boy, ect. Don't give us some weird hybrid of the two. =o= Yeah, I think so too. I believe the typical train of thought is a new re-release of something is better and fixes the errors, hence what would make people buy it. But I think the reason Viz are still lucking out on their new releases is they are trying to keep the front and backcovers closer to the original, and actually use all the content from the original Japanese volumes in one English equivalent volume, instead of tons of smaller 40 page volumes to equal one full Japanese one. As well as I believe the new overwhelming popularity of Special in English-speaking countries, fans so determined and desperate for English Special they buy very volume, and Viz actually going past their original release and releasing new volumes here and trying to catch up to Japan all are helping their new current release as well.

Actually, I think 'dear' doesn't fit -kun and how it is used too much. That's more of -chan's style or even -sama's. -kun, when used, seems to be mostly used to be polite but not overly polite to those that aren't superior/older to us. It also shows closeness but not close enough to use first names. Girls use it for boys older and younger than them while boys don't unless they're being really polite (and are probably shy). If I'm not mistaken, -tan, -chan are the usual nicknames for pets in Japan. So, I think Kurumi is using -kun to show the pokemon was like a friend and one she must of recently gotten. Maybe the Doble had a -tan suffix, so Kurumi switched it -kun as Kurumi doesn't seem like the type to use that type of suffixes. She does called Gold 'Gold-kun'....

...I think I confused myself...

But, I see what you mean. They probably considered -kun a nickname as she was using it for a pokemon. I definitely think Akane had some influence on the nickname. xD
Really? =o I thought -kun was also used to suggest that one is a bit close in friendship/partnership with someone and that their relationship isn't just all politeness. Which "dear" in English would kind of give off the same feeling. (didn't we actually have this same conversation about Phoebe and how she used -kun in Japan but "dear" in Chuang Yi?) But, it may just be the way it is used here that would not make it work though. xD Also I'm still in the process of learning Japanese and don't know too much yet, so I'm probably getting this wrong somehow. xDD;; But thanks for the correction and info regardless!~ That's interesting that -tan, -chan are used for nicknames for pets in Japan, I never knew that. =o Also interesting that Kurumi/DJ Mary using -kun with Smeargle shows that the Pokemon is like a friend to her and one she got recently. (wow! Japanese suffixes sure can explain a lot! xD) But maybe so! That sounds quite possible then. :3 May I ask what Doble means too, btw? ^^; Sorry, I know I must sound stupid to be asking that....

You actually confused me as well xD, 'til I re-read it a few times. Then it oddly started making tons of sense! XDDDDDDD

Thank you.~ But yeah, probably so. =3 I must admit I'm somewhat impressed Viz picked up on that and tried to make an equivalent, and since Whitney seems to be a good friend made it based on her naming pattern. But yeah, I definitely think so as well! xD

*raises hand* Me! I honestly liked it better when they just used the Chuang Yi ones, since they are all pretty good and close to the Japanese ones. They are official as well, since Chuang Yi is real a company. I also hate how Bulbapedia has Green as the girl and Blue as the boy too. But honestly that was a mistake by whoever translated the G/S/C games going with Blue instead of Green in the first place. (probably due to them never giving us Green version here) But Viz decided to follow it for game consistency, and Chuang Yi followed it for consistency with their original 7 volumes, which were Viz's. Tl;dr We just didn't luck out there. I still think Viz and Chuang Yi could have just kept Blue as the girl and Green as the boy though, and just put a little note explaining why in the front or back of the volumes that has those two in there. It'd still be following the games too, just the Japanese ones, which would be even better.

Bulbapedia's about using official names when possible(while noting Japanese/really popular fan-names elsewhere), so that's no surprise. And I really don't care about the nicknames one way or another, since they're all decent to me. I just wish we could standardize fan names for the numerous characters we won't be seeing for ages - Half the people use Coronis' names, the other half use the proper Japanese names, and a few stragglers use Chuang Yi names.

Chuang Yi still is an official company though, so their names are just as official. They are in English too. But just because Viz is redoing them here in the states apparently that trumps that. I do agree though I wish people could just make up their minds on which ones to use, lol. Personally the Chuang Yi and Japanese ones are my favorite (and what I think is best), but Viz's aren't too bad either I suppose. I do wish they'd try to follow closer to the Japanese version though on their names like Chuang Yi does.

And I believe Evilchibi_pichu was referring to Viz, not the writers. And on that point, it'd be even weirder to suddenly change the nickname of a Pokemon, so even once it evolved it's not that odd to still keep its original nickname, even if it doesn't fit as much now. I definitely agree with you there.

I completely agree. But, I believe the reason behind it is Viz is trying to stay consistent to their original release all those years ago. Which would explain why it's only Pika and Vee that kept them, and why Blue and Green are still swapped, and why the rest of Red's team and all of Blue's don't have nicknames, and why Yellow's still has her original English nicknames, ect. Which would make sense, because the reason why Red was able to keep Vee and Yellow was able to keep Chuchu would be because these are new Pokemon on their new releases, so they don't have to stay consistent with anything, which is why they added them and kept them. I must say I'm excited though, with them following Red's Vee (just adapting a spelling that fits better with it's English name) and even keeping Chuchu, that Ruby and Sapphire will both keep their Pokemon nicknames as well. I think Ruby's will all be completely fine, since they are all sort, and even in plain English in the original Japanese volumes anyway. As for Sapphire I could see them following the pattern of her names since it's not too hard, although they might possibly go the Chuang Yi route and only repeat them once (like Ronono to Rono) to save space and sound more 'American English'. Which if that is the case wouldn't be too bad. I also think they might keep Dia's Pokemon nicknames no problem as well, since as with Red they are easy to follow the pattern of as well. Not too sure for Pearl, but they might go the Coronis way of Chimlord or the Chuang Yi way of Chimhiko hopefully. (they might do something new) As for Crys I have no idea; since Chuang Yi didn't follow the Japanese pattern, and since it's a harder pattern to follow in English so hers will probably be brand new like Gold's. (no idea if they will be like shorter versions of the original nicknames or that short though) Because in Japan Crys' Pokemon nicknames were based on a jumping sound effect right? Since her mom was such a jumpy person and made her get in the habit? And in English I can't really think of a fitting equivalent for a nickname, since we usually just say stuff like jump, bounce, or boing! for jumping. (and I think stuff like Cuboing! would sound too weird for Viz XDDDDDDD)

I believe so. I myself try to think in advance of what would fit the whole line as well. (although I occasionally don't; but then again I rarely nickname and mine tend to be completely random, like 'Cookiedog' for Mawile. XDDDDDDDD) Yeah that's true, Red just shortens the name, which sometimes works for the whole line and at other times doesn't. (as well, even if it worked in Japan it sometimes wouldn't in English, since for the most part our Pokemon have different names...) But yeah, I can understand why he didn't too. He already called it that for a while so he might as well. Kind of like how I nicknamed my Snubbull on HG 'Snubsnub', and never even bothered to change it, even when he became a Granbull. xD I know it didn't fit but it still worked somehow, and I couldn't think of a likable equivalent, since GranGran would make him sound like a grandma. xDDDD;;;;

Rex Kamex

Finished this volume a few hours ago.

I thought Whitney was supposed to be shy...

Another thing, though. In one way this series is like the games, when Elm stopped talking to Gold via PokeGear, the device went "click- beep, beep, beep." I'm assuming Viz didn't add any extra beeps/sounds anything like that. But that's exactly how it sounds in the games with someone hangs up.

It's not the biggest deal, of course, and Whitney's behavior in this volume is something that contrasts the games, but... the thing about the PokeGear is a nice touch, I think. Not necessary, but interesting how the sound is the same. I'm pretty sure that was intentional...

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince

Another thing, though. In one way this series is like the games, when Elm stopped talking to Gold via PokeGear, the device went "click- beep, beep, beep." I'm assuming Viz didn't add any extra beeps/sounds anything like that. But that's exactly how it sounds in the games with someone hangs up.

It's not the biggest deal, of course, and Whitney's behavior in this volume is something that contrasts the games, but... the thing about the PokeGear is a nice touch, I think. Not necessary, but interesting how the sound is the same. I'm pretty sure that was intentional...
Well, Special is know for being so much like the games in some ways, and so different in others, so I believe this is a perfect example. May I ask what page number the PokeGear thing was on though? Because if you'd like I could check the Chuang Yi version, and I also could get my friend to check the Japanese version as well to see if they were there as well. I'd guess they probably are though, unless Viz is doing so much research and trying to be so much like the games that even the sound effects and some dialogue has the match the game completely or something, lol.

Whitney is different in PokeSpecial. But as with any series to make a story sometimes liberties are occasionally made. I actually didn't mind it though, to be honest the only thing that ever stands out from memory about Whitney is how she was a crybaby on the games. (and apparently shy, as you pointed out?) Maybe it's just me but I'd prefer a bit more confident and aggressive one in Special since it makes for more fun. XD

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
You would think so. I won't blame them since they may not have known they were going to have that Pokemon evolve, but had they known they should have kept it something like Ei or something, that both Pokemon had in common. Or have made it a nickname that wasn't related to the species name so it would work for both. Ah well. That's interesting he used the full species name once during battle though. :3 I don't quite recall him doing that. (then again, I read the Chuang Yi version so...) On your point about the kids though, the bright side is I believe there is a flashback where Red remembers how it used to be an Eevee and how he got it, so the little kids here should still be able to know, especially if they really are reading the full series. But yeah, I agree. XD Viz really is just lazy at times.

I had thought that maybe they were indecisive with which evolution to have or to keep Eevee as it was as well. And I can definitely see the logic on it; Ei would be good, though it could cause trouble it evolved to a Umbreon. But, maybe they were going for that evo as they may of knew game!Red would get an Espeon. Unfortunately, naming a different name not related to the species name as they would have had to do it for the rest of Red's pokemon. And I think Red wanted to name it like his other pokemon so it didn't think it was "special" and thus different. Actually, let me apologize. It wasn't Red but the annoucer and I mistaken the bubble for Red's bubble. He used Vui both times. Sorry~ Silly Viz, being lazy! xD

I always thought so. I believe other people have pointed it out as well. Especially when you compare it to Chuang Yi's, where they had a smaller font size so they could fit everything better. Maybe that's just me though; or maybe they changed it in the volumes you looked through. (what all ones did you check? I'm actually kind of hoping they make the font size smaller by volume 10 at the latest...) Yeah, they really would. xD That's true -- and that could work. =3 I quite like it too. The only problem is they gave Yellow the -y names, so they probably wouldn't want more than one person having the same way of naming. =o= That's also probably why they didn't give Blue's (female) Pokemon nicknames, since for the most part it would be -y as well. Man, they so should just follow Chuang Yi's nicknames or consult us instead! (or Coronis) xD SAME! I say that as well! Either stay completely like the first release (i.e. no censorship) or at least fix your previous errors in the second, like giving Red and Blue Pokemon nicknames, making Blue the girl and Green the boy, ect. Don't give us some weird hybrid of the two. =o= Yeah, I think so too. I believe the typical train of thought is a new re-release of something is better and fixes the errors, hence what would make people buy it. But I think the reason Viz are still lucking out on their new releases is they are trying to keep the front and backcovers closer to the original, and actually use all the content from the original Japanese volumes in one English equivalent volume, instead of tons of smaller 40 page volumes to equal one full Japanese one. As well as I believe the new overwhelming popularity of Special in English-speaking countries, fans so determined and desperate for English Special they buy very volume, and Viz actually going past their original release and releasing new volumes here and trying to catch up to Japan all are helping their new current release as well.

Hmm, I have to recheck next weekend then. I checked vol 8 of the new version from Viz, but I was just skimming through it to waste time so my memory is probably fuzzy. Thanks~ Ahh, I didn't know they gave Yellow's pokemon those type of nicknames, but with all the nicknames they might have to start repeating some of them for English version. Japan can have nonsense suffixes unlike us. xD Actually, it would kinda cool if they did as it could see that Blue and Yellow are close and Yellow decided to follow her mentor's system in thanks to her. Agreed, they should consult us to see which we like like in a poll! Bingo! The only time we need a hybrid if you're sticking to no censorship and keeping as close to the Japanese editions. Yeah, that's the main reason for re-relases, but it seems Viz has forgotten that... Definitely; over the years PokeSpe has gotten fans ready to fish over money to give for some English editions without high shipping costs. And as you said, they're keeping the overall content and look. I hope they don't catch up too fast and then no have anything to do. xD

Really? =o I thought -kun was also used to suggest that one is a bit close in friendship/partnership with someone and that their relationship isn't just all politeness. Which "dear" in English would kind of give off the same feeling. (didn't we actually have this same conversation about Phoebe and how she used -kun in Japan but "dear" in Chuang Yi?) But, it may just be the way it is used here that would not make it work though. xD Also I'm still in the process of learning Japanese and don't know too much yet, so I'm probably getting this wrong somehow. xDD;; But thanks for the correction and info regardless!~ That's interesting that -tan, -chan are used for nicknames for pets in Japan, I never knew that. =o Also interesting that Kurumi/DJ Mary using -kun with Smeargle shows that the Pokemon is like a friend to her and one she got recently. (wow! Japanese suffixes sure can explain a lot! xD) But maybe so! That sounds quite possible then. :3 May I ask what Doble means too, btw? ^^; Sorry, I know I must sound stupid to be asking that....

You actually confused me as well xD, 'til I re-read it a few times. Then it oddly started making tons of sense! XDDDDDDD

Thank you.~ But yeah, probably so. =3 I must admit I'm somewhat impressed Viz picked up on that and tried to make an equivalent, and since Whitney seems to be a good friend made it based on her naming pattern. But yeah, I definitely think so as well! xD

Yes, that's exactly it; think of -kun being the second polite suffix under -san. I kinda consider "dear" used by elder parents or adults to reference to younger kids on how cute they are [being] rather than trying to be friends. Plus, strangers can call younger kids they barely know or only know their parents "dear" without too much problems. -kun seems like the suffix you either earn or gain. (Maybe~ xD) It could just how I've seen been used. The only anime I know that has "dear" is Ranma 1/2 used by Kodachi and she uses -sama in Japanese (not to mention her personality makes it work). Well, for English, it's always a guessing game when translating from Japanese has it has many words that can have different meanings. So, you can correct depending on how you've seen "dear" been used. :3 (I'm still a novice too so you're not alone!) Not a problem~ I lurk a lot, hahaha. Well, that's how it comes off to me as if Kurumi had it a long time, I think she might of changed it to a different suffix as she grew closer and fonder of it. She could use -kun just because she didn't catch and it was given to her. Kurumi doesn't seem to treat Smeargle as a pokemon since it was wandering town with no seemingly repercussions. Gold's plight is totally blocked by Akane with no objections from Kurumi. xD Doble is Smeargle's Japanese name, I just didn't feel like trying to spell 'Smeargle' out and remembered Doble very clearly. xDD

Haha, thanks~ I was quite worried about it not making sense.

I guess Viz isn't being too lazy after all! Akane is a Gym Leader, so it must be an honor for simple Kurumi~

I completely agree. But, I believe the reason behind it is Viz is trying to stay consistent to their original release all those years ago. Which would explain why it's only Pika and Vee that kept them, and why Blue and Green are still swapped, and why the rest of Red's team and all of Blue's don't have nicknames, and why Yellow's still has her original English nicknames, ect. Which would make sense, because the reason why Red was able to keep Vee and Yellow was able to keep Chuchu would be because these are new Pokemon on their new releases, so they don't have to stay consistent with anything, which is why they added them and kept them. I must say I'm excited though, with them following Red's Vee (just adapting a spelling that fits better with it's English name) and even keeping Chuchu, that Ruby and Sapphire will both keep their Pokemon nicknames as well. I think Ruby's will all be completely fine, since they are all sort, and even in plain English in the original Japanese volumes anyway. As for Sapphire I could see them following the pattern of her names since it's not too hard, although they might possibly go the Chuang Yi route and only repeat them once (like Ronono to Rono) to save space and sound more 'American English'. Which if that is the case wouldn't be too bad. I also think they might keep Dia's Pokemon nicknames no problem as well, since as with Red they are easy to follow the pattern of as well. Not too sure for Pearl, but they might go the Coronis way of Chimlord or the Chuang Yi way of Chimhiko hopefully. (they might do something new) As for Crys I have no idea; since Chuang Yi didn't follow the Japanese pattern, and since it's a harder pattern to follow in English so hers will probably be brand new like Gold's. (no idea if they will be like shorter versions of the original nicknames or that short though) Because in Japan Crys' Pokemon nicknames were based on a jumping sound effect right? Since her mom was such a jumpy person and made her get in the habit? And in English I can't really think of a fitting equivalent for a nickname, since we usually just say stuff like jump, bounce, or boing! for jumping. (and I think stuff like Cuboing! would sound too weird for Viz XDDDDDDD)

I believe so. I myself try to think in advance of what would fit the whole line as well. (although I occasionally don't; but then again I rarely nickname and mine tend to be completely random, like 'Cookiedog' for Mawile. XDDDDDDDD) Yeah that's true, Red just shortens the name, which sometimes works for the whole line and at other times doesn't. (as well, even if it worked in Japan it sometimes wouldn't in English, since for the most part our Pokemon have different names...) But yeah, I can understand why he didn't too. He already called it that for a while so he might as well. Kind of like how I nicknamed my Snubbull on HG 'Snubsnub', and never even bothered to change it, even when he became a Granbull. xD I know it didn't fit but it still worked somehow, and I couldn't think of a likable equivalent, since GranGran would make him sound like a grandma. xDDDD;;;;

That makes sense, sadly. Who but the curious hardcore fans would read or care for the original incomplete releases? Not me. xD I'm a bit confused here, but are you saying that because the covers have Pika and Vui on them is why the nicknames are kept? Yeah, Ruby should be kept, but sometimes American companies like destroying Engl/rish in Japanese stuff, so I'll wait to see for sure. I'm not sure about Sapphire's as Viz might think the nicknames aren't obvious enough to what the pokemon is. Hopefully they keep something like Chuang Yi's as I can't see any other good nicknames they could do with making is sound silly. Yeah, Diamond's should be no problem (though I think his would actual it make is obvious what nickname is what pokemon, the Japanese's ones doesn't seem to match the pokemon). I'm thinking new ones for Pearl or none at all depending on how they feel. Yeah, -pyon is leaping or bouncing; an onomatopoeia and you're definitely right that boing isn't going to work. xDD TvTropes has -pyon as someone being cutesy or lovey dovey or sweet, so maybe they can use that instead (It'll be odd as Crys doesn't seem like her mom in terms as cutesy or lovey dovey...). Got any ideas on cute/lovey dovey nicknames, anyone? XD

Mine are just taken from other media. ;D ...And Cookiedog is one of the best nicknames I've ever heard. XD Actually, all of Red's nicknames work for his team (except Vui) due to helpful writers. Like Gyara is perfect as Gyarados doesn't have to evolve (unless one day GF suddenly makes an evolution....) or Pika who will never evolve so we won't have a cute Raichu called Pika. Vui is the special pokemon after all. xD I actually like how the pokemon don't seem to care which makes me wonder these pokemon have their own names but can't communicate them due their speech. If only your Granbull was a female, then Grandma Granbull (GranGran!) sounds like she would be epic! XDD

Really? In the remakes she seemed pretty friendly and, of course, a total crybaby.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
I haven't got it yet, I still only have 1-4. This weekend I'm going to B&N to get caught up. :)
Anyways . . . I'm happy to see that they got some of the nicknames right, from reading some of the above posts, but for Gold's Pokemon, I loved the "Taro" names. *sigh* oh well.

daviddwillson

AFAIK, they referred to Tin/Bell Tower in this volume.

Which one did Viz use - "Tin Tower" or "Bell Tower"?

Also, did they correct that "May Oak" error?

It's cool Volume 9 is out. Though I haven't seen it near my local bookstore's yet. Just checked Books a Million and Border's and it wasn't there. Either they sold out uber quick or they just haven't come to my area.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I had thought that maybe they were indecisive with which evolution to have or to keep Eevee as it was as well. And I can definitely see the logic on it; Ei would be good, though it could cause trouble it evolved to a Umbreon. But, maybe they were going for that evo as they may of knew game!Red would get an Espeon. Unfortunately, naming a different name not related to the species name as they would have had to do it for the rest of Red's pokemon. And I think Red wanted to name it like his other pokemon so it didn't think it was "special" and thus different. Actually, let me apologize. It wasn't Red but the annoucer and I mistaken the bubble for Red's bubble. He used Vui both times. Sorry~ Silly Viz, being lazy! xD
Thanks, I thought Ei would have been good as well.~ Though there wouldn't have been much of an English equivalent. :3 Good point though about it not working for an Umbreon though. Actually they may have been going for that evo, because we know for a fact Kusaka had G/S as far back as the Yellow arc days, if not maybe sooner. So that would have given him plenty of time to have gotten to game!Red, or to have at least heard about it and his team. It also makes sense since they managed to practically recreate game!Red's whole team for him in the GSC arc almost. True about the different from game species nicknames though. They had already decided on that and just had to stick with it. And probably so. Oh okay, thanks for clearing that up!~ I was fixing to say that's unlike the Japanese to make a glaring error like that. (unless it was intentional) That'd be more of an English translating department type of flaw. xD But I'm glad there was no mistake.~ Yep! xD They really are at times though!~

Hmm, I have to recheck next weekend then. I checked vol 8 of the new version from Viz, but I was just skimming through it to waste time so my memory is probably fuzzy. Thanks~ Ahh, I didn't know they gave Yellow's pokemon those type of nicknames, but with all the nicknames they might have to start repeating some of them for English version. Japan can have nonsense suffixes unlike us. xD Actually, it would kinda cool if they did as it could see that Blue and Yellow are close and Yellow decided to follow her mentor's system in thanks to her. Agreed, they should consult us to see which we like like in a poll! Bingo! The only time we need a hybrid if you're sticking to no censorship and keeping as close to the Japanese editions. Yeah, that's the main reason for re-relases, but it seems Viz has forgotten that... Definitely; over the years PokeSpe has gotten fans ready to fish over money to give for some English editions without high shipping costs. And as you said, they're keeping the overall content and look. I hope they don't catch up too fast and then no have anything to do. xD
I'm sorry, I actually made a mistake saying Viz's font size is too big. While compared to Chuang Yi's it still is, I rechecked through volume 7 last weekend and I noticed the font size wasn't really that bad. They were actually able to fit in quite a bit at times. It was just because it was different than what I was used to that made it look bad. Although the font size still causing problems with, let's say, Gold's nicknames for example. I think one reason they changed his suffix from -bo to -taro was not to Americanize them, but to go with the bubble sizes. Apparently some of the bubbles he gave his Pokemon their nicknames in were really tiny, so they made them smaller. So it's not so much a case of Viz having a big font as being lazy, actually. XD So sorry about that; hope that clears things up.~ No prob.~ Yeah, Viz just gave Yellow '-y' nicknames, probably for cuteness. :3 Also probably because in Japan Yellow calls her Raticate 'Rat-chan', which '-y' would be a good equivalent for, so they decided just to follow it for her whole team. The reason why they probably didn't just follow the Japanese ones for the rest of Yellow's team is because honestly, as is the case with Crys, her nicknames don't really have an English equivalent, since in Japan her Pokemon's suffix is '-suke', which vaguely means 'the one who's..'. Here in the US we don't have any other way to say that, let alone a way that could work for a nickname, so they probably decided just to change it to follow the only name they could properly adapt here, 'Rat-chan'. You have a point though, they can only come up with so many new ones so they may eventually have to start repeating some of them after all. xD True, Japan can get by with those nonsense suffixes unlike us. xD They also have things like one short word that means a lot more than one in English. xD .......That. Is. BRILLIANT. O.O (The "Blue having the same nicknames and it showing that Yellow is just following her mentors system" thing) Wow! Very clever of you to come up with that. xD So yeah! Viz really does have no excuse for not using them then. >w< Glad you like my idea -- I think a poll would be quite nice. ^o^ I mean if 4Kids even let people pick what theme song the 5D's anime should have here, I don't see why Viz couldn't do something similar. xD Yep! That would be the only time we'd need a hybrid. ^.~ I know; it's kind of odd Viz just re-used their original translation for the most part of the first seven volumes, but are using a new translation for the volumes they never got to, volume 8 onward. If they are re-releasing it and trying to be better this time, why not do a new translation for every volume? I mean come on Viz, it wouldn't be that much work, and it would correct a lot of errors. :3 Yep!~ Although honestly if you find a good seller Chuang Yi versions aren't that much more, like one I found the other day only sells them for $14 a volume, including tax, shipping and handling, ect. ^o^ Not bad at all, and I definitely think regardless of what people say Chuang Yi's versions are worth it if one can get them. :3 I don't think so, Viz still has a loooonnnnng ways to go before being completely caught up. xD And even one day when they finally do catch up, they should actually be glad for a break, since then they would just have to do a new volume when one comes out in Japan. xD

Yes, that's exactly it; think of -kun being the second polite suffix under -san. I kinda consider "dear" used by elder parents or adults to reference to younger kids on how cute they are [being] rather than trying to be friends. Plus, strangers can call younger kids they barely know or only know their parents "dear" without too much problems. -kun seems like the suffix you either earn or gain. (Maybe~ xD) It could just how I've seen been used. The only anime I know that has "dear" is Ranma 1/2 used by Kodachi and she uses -sama in Japanese (not to mention her personality makes it work). Well, for English, it's always a guessing game when translating from Japanese has it has many words that can have different meanings. So, you can correct depending on how you've seen "dear" been used. :3 (I'm still a novice too so you're not alone!) Not a problem~ I lurk a lot, hahaha. Well, that's how it comes off to me as if Kurumi had it a long time, I think she might of changed it to a different suffix as she grew closer and fonder of it. She could use -kun just because she didn't catch and it was given to her. Kurumi doesn't seem to treat Smeargle as a pokemon since it was wandering town with no seemingly repercussions. Gold's plight is totally blocked by Akane with no objections from Kurumi. xD Doble is Smeargle's Japanese name, I just didn't feel like trying to spell 'Smeargle' out and remembered Doble very clearly. xDD

Haha, thanks~ I was quite worried about it not making sense.

I guess Viz isn't being too lazy after all! Akane is a Gym Leader, so it must be an honor for simple Kurumi~
Thanks! Glad to know I at least got that right. xD ...You have a point. I honestly consider "dear" more of a grandma thing, and occasionally a parent thing to a young kid. Although "dear" can sometimes be used between partners in a relationship as a means to show something is close to you though. :3 But you are right that it isn't like -kun though. (and interesting! I'll try to remember that "it's a suffix you either earn or gain" thing. ^o^ I'm learning so much from you already! xD) That could be it though, I could understand how it that situation it seems to work for it instead. That's true, there is always guess work when translating languages since things can mean so many different things in one language compared to another.~ Heck, some languages even have words that other languages have no equivalent for. Thanks though. (and I appreciate that! Feels good to know I'm not alone. <3) That makes sense. Kind of how your interaction with someone changes as you grow fonder and closer to them, in any culture.~ Oh! That might be it actually; I was looking around on Bulbapedia and I noticed it said that DJ Mary got her Smeargle from her close friend Whitney, so that could explain it. ^o^ And you're right -- I never thought about how DJ Mary doesn't seem to reat it like a Pokemon. =o Just as a fellow living thing.~ Ohhh okay. xDDD Here I was thinking it was a Japanese word for something I didn't know of for some reason. XD Lazy thing! ;P I can understand that though, and some of the American Pokemon names like Smeargle are hard to spell out correctly. xDDDDDD

You're welcome.~ Thank you. And no worries, it made perfect sense. ;]

I guess not! And actually now that I remember that Whitney was the one who originally gave it to her, the nickname makes even more sense.~ It must be.~ Although this makes me wonder -- do any other Gym Leaders or characters have nicknames for their Pokemon in the Japanese version? =3 Because to be honest I only remember them for Dexholders right now. =o

That makes sense, sadly. Who but the curious hardcore fans would read or care for the original incomplete releases? Not me. xD I'm a bit confused here, but are you saying that because the covers have Pika and Vui on them is why the nicknames are kept? Yeah, Ruby should be kept, but sometimes American companies like destroying Engl/rish in Japanese stuff, so I'll wait to see for sure. I'm not sure about Sapphire's as Viz might think the nicknames aren't obvious enough to what the pokemon is. Hopefully they keep something like Chuang Yi's as I can't see any other good nicknames they could do with making is sound silly. Yeah, Diamond's should be no problem (though I think his would actual it make is obvious what nickname is what pokemon, the Japanese's ones doesn't seem to match the pokemon). I'm thinking new ones for Pearl or none at all depending on how they feel. Yeah, -pyon is leaping or bouncing; an onomatopoeia and you're definitely right that boing isn't going to work. xDD TvTropes has -pyon as someone being cutesy or lovey dovey or sweet, so maybe they can use that instead (It'll be odd as Crys doesn't seem like her mom in terms as cutesy or lovey dovey...). Got any ideas on cute/lovey dovey nicknames, anyone? XD

Mine are just taken from other media. ;D ...And Cookiedog is one of the best nicknames I've ever heard. XD Actually, all of Red's nicknames work for his team (except Vui) due to helpful writers. Like Gyara is perfect as Gyarados doesn't have to evolve (unless one day GF suddenly makes an evolution....) or Pika who will never evolve so we won't have a cute Raichu called Pika. Vui is the special pokemon after all. xD I actually like how the pokemon don't seem to care which makes me wonder these pokemon have their own names but can't communicate them due their speech. If only your Granbull was a female, then Grandma Granbull (GranGran!) sounds like she would be epic! XDD
Me either! xD Huh? o_O No no! xD I was saying since volume 9 was a volume Viz had never done before 'til now, their translation of it is brand new, so they were able to keep the nicknames no problem.~ I was saying the only reason the first seven volumes, even these new re-released "second editions", still had errors that were in the first edition was because they were staying consistent to them. (except this time they added unneeded censorship -.-; ) Does that make anymore sense now? xD;;; To be honest I still think his will be kept, because they are in such perfect English anyway. (and even short) Heck, two of his Pokemon's nicknames are even Popo and Nana, the names of the Ice Climbers. xD So if Viz really does change them I would be completely shocked, to be honest. Really? At the chapter/title page and at the end of each chapter they say what the Pokemon's nicknames are, and what their real nicknames are below it, so I think Viz would be fine. At most they might change them around a bit for the pattern to instead use their English names, but I think that would be it. I agree, I'm hoping it'll be something like Chuang Yi's at the very least. I also agree, Sapphire definitely doesn't need silly nicknames; nor feminine ones. =o= So if Viz changes them they still better at least be kind of tough and boyish sounding, like ending in all -o's or something. Yeah, Diamond's will work out great actually, dare I say even better than the Japanese ones which were kind of odd, even if you do know where they got the nickname from. I'm pretty sure they'll give Pearl ones since they seem to be keeping nicknames from now on, but I agree with you it'll probably be new ones. Ah! An onomatopoeia! Thanks. :) What a cute one too! xD But yeah, boing isn't going to work at all. XDDDDDD And really? That's cool, and it makes sense I guess if you think about it. :3 Maybe Viz can do what Chuang Yi did, besides her Megapyon, which was just Mega in their version, they added "ee" to the end of all of her Pokemon nicknames. (i.e. Natee, Arkee, ect.) So that gives off a similar cutesy effect but without just using -y again. (haha, knowing this now thanks to you makes her nicknames in the Chuang Yi version finally make sense! xDDD) The only thing is they would have to change Mega's name to fit the pattern, and some like Natee's name to something that fits the whole line. Maybe Tuee? I don't know. xD It will be odd though, but then again the -pyon thing didn't fit Crys either in Japanese. xD It was just definitely something her mother got her in the habit of doing somehow. xD

Really? Cool. ;D Seems a lot of people (out of the ones that actually do, anyway) are. Mine occasionally are, but most of the time mine are just completely random and my own. XDDDDD And thank you! I really appreciate compliments on my nicknames, sure my Pokemon do too. ;P Don't get them that often though, sadly. You're right that all of Red's nicknames work perfectly for his team though (minus Vui, of course). =D The writers were very clever with choosing Pokemon that his theme of naming would work for, for the most part at least. Gyara is kind of odd, but really is perfect! ^o^ (and yeah, I don't think GF will randomly make an evolution for it one day XDDDDD) And yeah, unless GF one day makes game!Red evolve Pika (which I doubt), I don't see it happening either. XDDDDD True. xD It makes sense though, an Eevee that could change at will into 3 different Pokemon, and then one day becomes an awesome Espeon, that is very special and awesome! xD And another BRILLIANT thing. o3o I have never thought about or ever heard one person mention that about Pokemon as long as I've been a fan, which has practically been forever. xDDDD That is interesting and cool that the Pokemon don't seem to mind whether you call them by their species name or a nickname; and maybe they do. :3 I mean it would make sense, since there are so many Pokemon of just one species out there they must have some form of differentiating themselves in their communication with each other out there. Huh. What an awesome point. xD Again, you are brilliant!~ ^o^ True! xDDDD Great point! Man, I almost wish my Granbull was female so I could name her that. xDDDDD But I believe it's a male, not only did I want one but it took me FOREVER to run into one for some reason, so when I finally did I just had to catch it regardless. xDDDDD You're right though, had Snubsnub been a female she would have made an epic Grangran. ;D Especially since I believe I've breed Snubsnub with my Ditto a time or two for the heck of it as well. xDDDDDDDDDD
I haven't got it yet, I still only have 1-4. This weekend I'm going to B&N to get caught up. :)
Anyways . . . I'm happy to see that they got some of the nicknames right, from reading some of the above posts, but for Gold's Pokemon, I loved the "Taro" names. *sigh* oh well.
Good luck on catching up!
Yeah, I found Whitney and DJ Mary having nicknames to be pretty impressive, and I'm still just glad Gold's Pokemon even have nicknames. I do miss "taro" as well though, it was like, the best suffix ever and it just really fit him. Dx

It's cool Volume 9 is out. Though I haven't seen it near my local bookstore's yet. Just checked Books a Million and Border's and it wasn't there. Either they sold out uber quick or they just haven't come to my area.
Wow, very believable for a spam post. Anyways. why hasn't anyone deleted this spammer's account?
Note: I'm saying he/she's a spammer because they just mimicked the exact same post my friend said on page 1, even down to quoting the person they did. Not to mention, the signature linking to another site for free movies online is kind of a giveaway....

Ememew

Emerald Mew
The two main topics here seem to be Whitney's personality and Vee's nickname, so I'll address both.

"Vee" for an Espeon seems a little odd, but it does come from it's pre-evolved name Eevee. Since the number of the volume is written right on the cover, I don't think it's too much to expect that kids will realize there's more to it than an odd name and be willing to go back a few volumes to see Vee in action as an Eevee. As for why "Vee" rather than "Ei" or something that fits with both . . . well, Red wasn't originally planning on evolving it into Espeon, so naming it after the species it was when he got it made sense. Too bad some of the other nicknames don't seem to have made it (how did they get "bo" out of "taro"? "Bo" doesn't even sound particularly more English . . .).

As for Whitney's personality, I think it actually does fit her game persona (not exactly, but the same core it there). Both manga and game Whitneys are childish. One is childish in that she's a crybaby, the other is more immature in that she isn't good at controlling her temper yet. Both have growing up to do. In my opinion, the manga and games just focus on different aspects of the same core. I hope that made sense.