• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Adventures Volume 9 (Viz)

Maxim

Beyond repair
It's out today.

Nobody's got it yet?

I'm expecting Sudbo and Togebo. Amirite?

Last edited:

Pokemon_Special_Fan

As for me, I only own volumes 1-5(the first 3 from chuang yi, and 4-5 from viz.) And due to how manga is a bit spendy, and all the kinds I wanna get, I plan on getting volumes 6 and 7 next time I get manga. Volume 8 and 9 I will have to wait just a bit longer for.

Anyone who did get volume 8 and 9, has there been any changes you notice compared to the chuang yi version? Like any of the names or anything?

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I'm expecting Sudbo and Togebo. Amirite?
I'm expecting it as well.

I personally haven't got it yet, but I'm curious of how it'll turn out. As much as I love Chuang Yi's releases as well, volume 9 was definitely their worst, with like 20 or more errors. It was unbelievable even for Chuang Yi standards, so I can't wait to see how little to no errors Viz's version will have. XD I'm actually pretty excited for it. Here's hoping they'll at least spell Pokemon names right and not miscall Pokemon by the wrong name, I know it's accidental but it does get pretty annoying.

And I know we're not quite there yet, but I can't wait for volume 10 as well. I wonder what Crys' (most likely) new Pokemon nicknames will be, and if they'll spell her nickname as Chris or Crys? I'm hoping for the latter.

Darkxninga

I'm expecting it as well.

I personally haven't got it yet, but I'm curious of how it'll turn out. As much as I love Chuang Yi's releases as well, volume 9 was definitely their worst, with like 20 or more errors. It was unbelievable even for Chuang Yi standards, so I can't wait to see how little to no errors Viz's version will have. XD I'm actually pretty excited for it. Here's hoping they'll at least spell Pokemon names right and not miscall Pokemon by the wrong name, I know it's accidental but it does get pretty annoying.

And I know we're not quite there yet, but I can't wait for volume 10 as well. I wonder what Crys' (most likely) new Pokemon nicknames will be, and if they'll spell her nickname as Chris or Crys? I'm hoping for the latter.

O_O really? Im curious could you give some examples XD! Looking forward to seeing this volume out in the bookstores

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The chapter list is up.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Adventures_volume_9

Togetaro and Sutaro are now Togebo and Sudobo.

So Gold's Togepi and Sudowoodo got a quick nickname change. That's cool. I don't have volume 9 yet since it was just released today and I haven't gone to pick it up. I could've gotten it delivered days ago via an online store but I didn't feel like getting it that way. I'm looking forward to it more than ever now since some of the coolest events occur in this volume like Blue becoming the Viridian City Gym Leader and the Red Gyarados appearing in the manga and being caught by Silver.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
O_O really? Im curious could you give some examples XD! Looking forward to seeing this volume out in the bookstores
Yeah. O_O I dunno, it's odd since Chuang Yi usually only has a couple mistakes if even that many. For some reason they just did extra bad that volume. xD But sure! Here's some examples:
* Silver's Sneasel is referred to Sneasal.
* Gold's Sudowoodo, Utaro, is referred to as Aipom.
* Kingdra was referred to as Kingora.
* Tyranitar was also referred to as Kingora.
* The Dark-type was referred to as the Evil-type.
* Sneasel only had one type (the Evil-type), though it is also part Ice-type.
* Kingdra's type was listed as Dragon, instead of its secondary type being Dragon.
* In the description read from Gold's Pokédex, Togebo's Metronome attack is translated to "Finger Shake."
* The 114th round, titled VS. Delibird (Part II) is mistakenly written as "Chapter 104."

There are probably even a few more, but those were a few mentioned on Bulbapedia.

The chapter list is up.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Adventures_volume_9

Togetaro and Sutaro are now Togebo and Sudobo.
Thanks. I will admit Viz's puns don't bother me as bad, but I still wish they wouldn't use them. Hopefully they'll eventually run out. xD;;;;

I so knew Togetaro would become Togebo. Sudobo kind of surprises me though, but not too much. As excited as I am they are keeping nicknames and even though these aren't bad; I still prefer the -taro ones. Ah well. Looking forward to seeing it in stores and plan to get it when I can. (although I still might wait a bit longer...) I'm glad at least we'll finally have a less mistake filled volume 9 in English and that we'll finally be to Satoshi's volumes starting in December.

Last edited:

Maxim

Beyond repair
AFAIK, they referred to Tin/Bell Tower in this volume.

Which one did Viz use - "Tin Tower" or "Bell Tower"?

Also, did they correct that "May Oak" error?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
It's cool Volume 9 is out. Though I haven't seen it near my local bookstore's yet. Just checked Books a Million and Border's and it wasn't there. Either they sold out uber quick or they just haven't come to my area.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
AFAIK, they referred to Tin/Bell Tower in this volume.

Which one did Viz use - "Tin Tower" or "Bell Tower"?

Also, did they correct that "May Oak" error?
Ooooooo, great question. I had forgotten about that. I hope they used Tin Tower, since this is GSC, not HGSS. Then again you never know, just depends on how well they research it.

I'm fairly certain they'll call her Daisy Oak. The only reason they didn't in the 'Electric Tale of Pikachu' is because she had a different name in the Japanese version as well.

Hey, also, is Yellow's Pikachu still called Chuchu here? It's introduced in this volume so I was curious if they kept its nickname.

Last edited:

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
I have Vol. 9. Really like it.

Its Tin Tower and they didn't say Daisy/May Oak's name, so I don't know.
Thanks! Excited to hear they used Tin Tower and after looking through 9 I didn't think Daisy's/May's name was mentioned. (talking about the Chuang Yi version) I wasn't sure though.

Oh, was Yellow's Pikachu still called Chuchu?

Fire Ranger

Power Ranger Trainer
Thanks! Excited to hear they used Tin Tower and after looking through 9 I didn't think Daisy's/May's name was mentioned. (talking about the Chuang Yi version) I wasn't sure though.

Oh, was Yellow's Pikachu still called Chuchu?

Yes, Yellow's Pikachu is called Chuchu.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Yes, Yellow's Pikachu is called Chuchu.
Thanks for answering!

Yes, a Japanese and Chuang Yi nickname is kept! *does epic happy pose* Maybe my hope that they'll keep Ruby, Sapphire and possibly even Dia's Pokemon nicknames may actually happen after all. So far Viz's version of GSC has really impressed me so far, seems like they are really doing their research and keeping it pretty close to Japan's original. Some elements of volume 8 and 9 already sound like the scanlations, which are the most accurate thing besides the original, so that is definitely a plus. I'll still wait 'til we get around to R/S to be sure, but sounds like things may not be as bad as I thought.

SmartD

I got volume 9 today. It was really good. DJ Mary's Smeargle is named Smea Smea, Whitney's Miltank is named Mil Mil, and Red's Espeon is named Vee, like what Coronis named him. Sad that this is Mato's last volume, I like her artwork for the manga. Satoshi's artwork is good, so it's alright.

Darkxninga

I got volume 9 today. It was really good. DJ Mary's Smeargle is named Smea Smea, Whitney's Miltank is named Mil Mil, and Red's Espeon is named Vee, like what Coronis named him. Sad that this is Mato's last volume, I like her artwork for the manga. Satoshi's artwork is good, so it's alright.

aww those are cute nicknames. Does anyone know what (the names above) were in japanese? o.o Im glad yellows pikachu is still chuchu in the viz comic. I couldn't image "pikachuchu", "chuy", "chuy chu chu", or something else @_@ that wouldn't sound right.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Funny -- I was just about to comment on Red's Espeon being called Vee, just like what Coronis named it. (it's a different spelling, but it's the same thing as the Japanese and Chuang Yi nickname for him too.) That's odd about DJ Mary and Whitney's Pokemon though -- I don't remember them having nicknames in Chuang Yi's version, or Coronis making up names for them or mentioning that they had nicknames in Japan as well. Do they? Or did Viz maybe just give them nicknames to save space? Huh, I'm curious now. I do like them though. It is sad this is Mato's last volume -- but I am excited we'll finally be to Satoshi's artwork from now on. I personally prefer it, and I'm curious to see how everybody in America will react to it since most people who never read more than Viz's releases probably think Mato's done every volume since, lol.

aww those are cute nicknames. Does anyone know what (the names above) were in japanese? o.o Im glad yellows pikachu is still chuchu in the viz comic. I couldn't image "pikachuchu", "chuy", "chuy chu chu", or something else @_@ that wouldn't sound right.
I'll need to look some more after I respond to a few posts here, but if memory serves I don't remember DJ Mary's/Whitney's Pokemon having nicknames in Chuang Yi's version, Coronis' version, or any mention of them having nicknames in the Japanese version as well. They are cute nicknames though ^^, but hopefully someone can give us some info. Yeah, I'm glad Yellow's is still Chuchu as well. I was kind of worried and hoping it wouldn't just get Pikachu or get something like "Chuy"as well. xD This is also good since it probably means Ruby's Pokemon will have the same nicknames as well.
EDIT: Now, according to Bulbapedia, most of Whitney's Pokemon do in fact have nicknames. No word on whether it is in the Chuang Yi version, the Japanese version, or just Viz's version though. And according to it Smeargle doesn't have a nickname, (maybe because it was originally DJ Mary's?) but maybe they just forgot to update it. But here are her Pokemon and their nicknames as follows: "Mil Mil" (Miltank), "Fafa" (Cleffa) and "Buff Buff" (Igglybuff).

Last edited:

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions

Can you give the page number where Smeargle's nickname is mentioned? I can't find where Kurumi says Smeargle at all. Red's Espeon too please.

I'll need to look some more after I respond to a few posts here, but if memory serves I don't remember DJ Mary's/Whitney's Pokemon having nicknames in Chuang Yi's version, Coronis' version, or any mention of them having nicknames in the Japanese version as well. They are cute nicknames though ^^, but hopefully someone can give us some info. Yeah, I'm glad Yellow's is still Chuchu as well. I was kind of worried and hoping it wouldn't just get Pikachu or get something like "Chuy"as well. xD This is also good since it probably means Ruby's Pokemon will have the same nicknames as well.

Akane/Whitney does nickname her team but with added cuteness, very similar to Gold's method. She shorts the name and then add -tan to the end. So, her Iggybuff/Pupurin is Puputan, Mirutan (or Miltan) for Miltank, and Pitan for Pi/Cleffa.

1dbad

~The Blizzard Prince
Red's Espeon too please.
I know for a fact Espeon had a nickname at least, in both Chuang Yi's version and in Japan too. Coronis noted it before when he was talking about the nicknames in the Japanese version and his English equivalents for them.

Akane/Whitney does nickname her team but with added cuteness, very similar to Gold's method. She shorts the name and then add -tan to the end. So, her Iggybuff/Pupurin is Puputan, Mirutan (or Miltan) for Miltank, and Pitan for Pi/Cleffa.
Okay, well that's good to know at least. Thanks so much for the info! ^__^ Glad to know Viz picked up on this too, and that they aren't just adding random nicknames for some reason. I quite like the Japanese ones too. The only thing about Viz though is I get using the American Pokemon names for the nicknames, but must they change it completely from the Japanese too? I mean I don't think keeping tan or taro is a bad thing at all. Ah well though, I don't mind Whitney's US Pokemon nicknames, since they are still nice and cute.

blob

Yeah. O_O I dunno, it's odd since Chuang Yi usually only has a couple mistakes if even that many. For some reason they just did extra bad that volume. xD But sure! Here's some examples:
* Silver's Sneasel is referred to Sneasal.
* Gold's Sudowoodo, Utaro, is referred to as Aipom.
* Kingdra was referred to as Kingora.
* Tyranitar was also referred to as Kingora.
* The Dark-type was referred to as the Evil-type.
* Sneasel only had one type (the Evil-type), though it is also part Ice-type.
* Kingdra's type was listed as Dragon, instead of its secondary type being Dragon.
* In the description read from Gold's Pokédex, Togebo's Metronome attack is translated to "Finger Shake."
* The 114th round, titled VS. Delibird (Part II) is mistakenly written as "Chapter 104."

There are probably even a few more, but those were a few mentioned on Bulbapedia.

Thanks. I will admit Viz's puns don't bother me as bad, but I still wish they wouldn't use them. Hopefully they'll eventually run out. xD;;;;

I so knew Togetaro would become Togebo. Sudobo kind of surprises me though, but not too much. As excited as I am they are keeping nicknames and even though these aren't bad; I still prefer the -taro ones. Ah well. Looking forward to seeing it in stores and plan to get it when I can. (although I still might wait a bit longer...) I'm glad at least we'll finally have a less mistake filled volume 9 in English and that we'll finally be to Satoshi's volumes starting in December.

Anyway, The First Volume lists Bulbasaur as a Grass Type, but it's a Grass/Poison Type. Well, I'd rather have un-needed errors instead of un-needed jokes.

I hate all puns, and un-needed jokes. That's why I stay away from the Viz releases, and that they use the wrong artwork for the Covers. BTW, it looks like Togebo is a Bad Egg. *Groan* I bet they make that joke.
Oh, and I doubt they run out of jokes, because 4-Kids didn't.

I also prefer the -Taro names. I hate how Bulbapedia is changing the names to the Viz version. :/