• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon and the future generation

NimhShambler

Some Broke Machine
No, this isn't about the sixth or any subsequent generation, this is about your children (if you plan to have any).

When/if you have children, do you plan to introduce them to Pokemon? How?

Personally, I will give my child one of my gameboy colours and my old copy of Red version. I will have them play it out; pick their starter, run through and play as they wish, giving them guidance whenever they need it. When they complete the E4 and Champ, I will get Mew for them as a treat.

When they complete that, I will give them Gold verison and work on obtaining Celebi for them. Once they defeat Red, I will give them said Celebi. Then on to the Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and any other region that may have come to pass in between now and then.

I want to start them out right, the way I did. Yes, RBGY were flawed, but they have a charm that I want my child to experience, as well.

So, if you have a child will you introduce them to wonderful world of Pokemon? How will you do it?

meismadatyou

Johto League Master
my girlfriend and i were talking about this yesterday.. she says she wants our kids to be able to experience trading with a cord instead of wirelessly. she says that it will make them appreciate things in life. i disagree, i think no matter what way you play pokemon, you are still playing the game we all grew up with and loved. the variety of pokemon and the availability of trade is the only difference between the games.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Whenever my fat arrogant kid isn't on his iPhone in the age of 8, I may introduce him to GSC

briguin

Dr. Geek
It depends. If there is some hot Pokemon game out there (assuming Pokemon isn't cancelled), that may be a good start. If not, I'll give 'em Silver.

Zachmac

I'd just pick a game out of random. Probably a more modern one.

I don't see why everyone always has to make it one of the originals.

Oh, and I'm not trying to be immature or anything, but I don't really see myself ever getting married or have children, so I don't think it'll matter anyway. IRL, I don't really like company too much, even if it is a cute girl.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
If the games are still going on at the time I have my children, then I would introduce them to it! I don't know if they'll enjoy it as much as we did back in the day though. I don't think Pokémon is a craze in Primary Schools anymore. ):

Shadow XD001

I don't see why everyone always has to make it one of the originals.

Probably so our kids (assuming we have kids) will get to experience the games that most of us grew up with, and would get to play Pokémon starting from the beginning (even if they have remakes)

If I have kids, assuming I still have all my games, I'll probably have my kids start with one of the earlier games rather than a modern one, like you guys said. That would be cool, so than once they go from oldest-newest they'll probably have the same reactions we did when we first played our games. That is, if all of our games work by that time. XD

SugarFreeJazz

not present
How will I introduce my child into Pokemon? Well the most logical way, I guess. I'll force my wife into a Pikachu outfit and convince my child that we found him at a daycare center and we aren't sure how he got there. I'll make him fight kids at his school and I'll inject him with Calcium, Protein, and Zinc after every match. If he loses then I'll release him into the wild. I'll give him a stupid nickname, too. Something like Fartface or Douchebag.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
No, this isn't about the sixth or any subsequent generation, this is about your children (if you plan to have any).

When/if you have children, do you plan to introduce them to Pokemon? How?

Personally, I will give my child one of my gameboy colours and my old copy of Red version. I will have them play it out; pick their starter, run through and play as they wish, giving them guidance whenever they need it. When they complete the E4 and Champ, I will get Mew for them as a treat.

When they complete that, I will give them Gold verison and work on obtaining Celebi for them. Once they defeat Red, I will give them said Celebi. Then on to the Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and any other region that may have come to pass in between now and then.

I want to start them out right, the way I did. Yes, RBGY were flawed, but they have a charm that I want my child to experience, as well.

So, if you have a child will you introduce them to wonderful world of Pokemon? How will you do it?

I going to pull a quote from Robert Burns

Robert Burns said:
The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often awry

I really hope that you don't actually think that this will 100% work as your Child might not even like Pokémon hell you might stop playing pokémon.

(assuming Pokemon isn't cancelled)

Pokémon games are big sellers so the chances of the games being cancelled is very unlikely.

As for my Kid I am going to what any parent should do, nothing if they want to play pokémon then fine. If not then it won't bother me I am not going to force them to play a game that they may or may not like just because their Dad just happens to play the games.

Earthia100

Though I probably will not have children, my little sister might.

I will probably give them a Pokemon game as a birthday present. This is gonna sound wierd... But there could already be a D/P remake by then.

Haha. My sister picked Piplup. Wouldn't it be interesting if they picked Piplup?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I may introduce it to them. I don't know what game would be their first, since my Yellow version doesn't work anymore, and my Silver version won't save, but I'll find a way to introduce it to my kids, whether through the games, or through the anime.

Missingno.Fan

I don't really see myself getting married, but if I adopt kids I probably wouldn't have them play the really old games unless somehow they were brought up. Like I wouldn't just randomly run into the living room and be like "Hey kids, here play Blue!".

G50

No longer posting
Since I'm not planning on having any kids ever, I will definitely be introducing Pokemon to my niece and nephew instead. My nephew was shown my Pokemon figurines already and loves them. It's a start. I will be showing them a few of my old games and teaching them how to play to get started.

Shinku

neko, desu~
Don't see why not. I'd buy them their own pokemon stuff to play with. I've made a vow with myself that no children will ever lay a hand on my beloved pokemon possessions, and that's a promise I intend to keep ^^ but I'm very much open to my children loving pokemon as I have.

Cloud_Arcanine

Scarlett starlett
My cousins are all quite a bit older than me and have kids of their own. The oldest is 7 and if she's with me on rail trips I'll let her mess about on Platinum and she loves it :)