• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Anime Face-Off IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It was still slow compared to a Pokémon with “real speed” like Gary’s Scizor.
That still doesn't classify as slow, Gary was surprised with its speed after how it outmanuveured Nidoqueen.

Lol yes Torkoal is slow. It only looked fast against Registeel because Registeel is also slow.

Um, nope it isn't. It has showed reasonable speed on a few occasions, I mean Shiftry are treated as quite fast in the anime and Torkoal was able to keep up with it and land a Flamethrower for the KO.

Genaller

Silver Soul
That still doesn't classify as slow, Gary was surprised with its speed after how it outmanuveured Nidoqueen.
Of course it does since all speed is relative. Snorlax is slow compared to Pokémon with “real speed” like Gary’s Scizor and by extension Ash’s Charizard.

Um, nope it isn't. It has showed reasonable speed on a few occasions, I mean Shiftry are treated as quite fast in the anime and Torkoal was able to keep up with it and land a Flamethrower for the KO.

Yeah except Tyson’s Shiftry still dodged “every attack” before that, so overall Shiftry was still faster (Torkoal just caught it off guard by being able to jump high vertically) not to mention Tyson’s Shiftry was fodder.

Genaller

Silver Soul
My point is Ash could have worked well with Torterra if the writers wanted to do that, slow or not
Torterra is a victim of Infernape glory hogging syndrome. Why did it job against Volkner? Because Infernape needed 2 wins. Why did it job to Paul? Because Infernape needed 3 wins. Other victims include Buizel in gym 6 (this was the worst since it completely went against how competent Buizel was portrayed to be prior to then) and Gliscor in gym 7 (though back then it was known as Chimchar glory hogging syndrome).

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I also liked how this episode was later referenced in the Lake Acuity battle and that Ash still thought he could beat Honchkrow with his Grotle.

He keeps doing this! You can't always think you can beat a Honchkrow with a Grotle! You just can't! Go ahead @Genaller and @keepitsimple !

Genaller

Silver Soul
I also liked how this episode was later referenced in the Lake Acuity battle and that Ash still thought he could beat Honchkrow with his Grotle.

He keeps doing this! You can't always think you can beat a Honchkrow with a Grotle! You just can't! Go ahead @Genaller and @keepitsimple !
I guess after you’ve beaten a Blastoise with a Charizard, you’ll believe that you can beat every Pokémon with whatever Pokémon you want :p.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Of course it does since all speed is relative. Snorlax is slow compared to Pokémon with “real speed” like Gary’s Scizor and by extension Ash’s Charizard.

I never knew that being slow in comparison to extremely fast Pokemon classifies as slow...you're basically just reaching here. If the writers were trying to emphasize Snorlax as a slow Pokemon then they wouldn't have had Gary make an comment prasing Snorlax's speed.

Yeah except Tyson’s Shiftry still dodged “every attack” before that, so overall Shiftry was still faster (Torkoal just caught it off guard by being able to jump high vertically) not to mention Tyson’s Shiftry was fodder.

Being fodder doesn't change the fact that Tyson's Shiftry was fast....heck it was owned by a League Champion, even a wild Shiftry in the episode Jump For Joy! was portrayed as quite fast. Sure Shiftry was faster there, but the fact that Torkoal could keep up with it to land a solid blow shows that it isn't a slow Pokemon either.

Last edited:

Genaller

Silver Soul
@345ash-greninja You are having that already!
Yeah 345 has unfortunately always had a difficult time understanding the mood of the discussion meaning it’s hard for him to tell when and when not to go full-on debate mode. As a result he often ends up being quite the kill joy.

Anyways for my serious views on the matter; Snorlax isn’t slow though Torkoal most certainly is slower than the vast majority of Ash’s Pokémon and a vertical jumping feat doesn’t translate into a direct speed feat since Torkoal can’t move that fast in a horizontal direction unless it has a vertical wall to jump from like against Registeel not to mention once again it was more Shiftry being caught off guard that Torkoal could jump so high rather than Torkoal genuinely outspending or even keeping up with it in that instance.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Aiding The Enemy: 3/12 +
Rising From The Ruins: 3/12

I liked how this episode showed another side to Paul's Pokémon. Torterra was able to empathize with Grotle's situation, and that was a nice moment. I guess this shows that it's not all the time that a trainer's attitude rubs off on their Pokémon (since Torterra evidently seemed much nicer than Paul himself).

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
*breaking down into laughter in a combination of relief and disbelief*

345 thought he was the underdog, but forgot that Island of Giant Pokémon was OS' last stand. I nominated it because I knew it was one of the few OS episodes that was guaranteed to trigger nostalgia in most users.

Also, while I said my equation was "drunk Pokémon + understandable Pokémon + Koffing & Ekans tea party ", my real equation was "nostalgia + personal hatred + underdog series last stand".

I'm gonna call @345ash-greninja Nobunaga because he was betrayed by who he thought to be his closest ally (@Akkipeddi).

Aiding The Enemy: 3/12
Rising From The Ruins: 4/12 +

Torterra is the only one of Paul's Pokémon I actually liked (Chimchar excluded). Sadly, it has the misfortune of only appearing near Paul.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Aiding The Enemy: 3/12
Rising From The Ruins: 5/12 +

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
Can't believe I forgot to vote for the island of giant pokemon, I'll give it an extra vote anyway lol.
Aiding the Enemy: 4/12
rising from the ruins: 7/12+
had some nitpicks with both episodes, such as tapu lele being a total jerk and with aiding the enemy...it's been like a long time since I saw that on PKMN TV, maybe 5 or 6 years ago?

Genaller

Silver Soul
Aiding the Enemy: 5/12 +
rising from the ruins: 7/12

keepitsimple

site of lies
All genwunners should have their voting privileges revoked immediately here, period!!

But seriously though, it was so much fun today gathering voters from everywhere to vote here. I was the only reason for this particular voting matchup being competitive despite the betrayals of Gen and Akki. Most of the voters who voted in favour of DP here were informed by me of this match-up. :)
liked this a few hours ago but forgot to reply. i really appreciate this, always great to have more people introduced to the game n_n

oof, forgot to vote

Aiding the Enemy: 5/12
rising from the ruins: 8/12 +

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I'm gonna call @345ash-greninja Nobunaga because he was betrayed by who he thought to be his closest ally (@Akkipeddi).

Let's not get too cocky over one win eh, and not forget that 3 OS episodes basically got slaughtered, especially your favourite one, Holy Matrimony!

It was a bit unfortunate that certain big DP fans weren't online, I informed as many people of that ilk of this match-up as possible and persuaded them to vote here, and got in 8 votes despite the fact that Gen and Akki were infected by the genwunner virus

But don't think that Gen and Akki are gonna vote for you every time! ;)

Aiding The Enemy: 5/12
Rising From The Ruins: 9/12+

Last edited:

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Aiding The Enemy: 6/12+
Rising From The Ruins: 9/12

Yeah, probably a losing cause, but I just like this episode better. I know Lycanroc>Torterra, but I'm talking about the episodes themselves, and I liked aiding the enemy for showing a different side to Paul's Pokémon, and seeing how evolution has its own strengths and weaknesses, and how Grotle had to adapt to a brand new battling style.

Status
Not open for further replies.