• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Anime Face-Off V (2 Hour Cooldown)

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ash vs Nando: 0/25
Ash vs Katie: 0/25
Sawyer vs Tierno: 0/25
Ash vs Paul: 6/25 +
Ash vs Alain: 6/25

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ash vs Paul: 8/25+
Ash vs Alain: 6/25
Yeah, the transition from Paul being treated like an abusive jerk to everyone saying he was just using another style of training that could be acceptable was wonky, but still, I'm a big fan of playing the long game, and this fight felt more like a "6v6" than Ash vs Alain, which felt more like a series of (great) 1v1 matches with a few exceptions. Ash vs Alain was still an amazing battle and a close number 2 in my eyes though, with XYZ37's animation being Iwane's magnum opus, with the only other episodes, Iwane's or not, that come close to it being XY90, XYZ29, XYZ35, SM1, SM2, SM43, SM78, and SM126 (and maybe some showcase episodes, many of which I admittedly skipped because I wasn't a fan of the concept)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Ash vs Paul: 8/25
Ash vs Alain: 7/25 +

Genaller

Silver Soul
Ash vs Paul: 8/25
Ash vs Alain: 8/25 +

Yeah, the transition from Paul being treated like an abusive jerk to everyone saying he was just using another style of training that could be acceptable was wonky,
I actually thought the idea was fairly novel and would’ve preferred it over the more predictable ‘Ash is right, Paul is wrong and bonds conquer all’ narrative that seemed to be the initial direction though at the same time it did result in Chimchar/Infernape’s character arc getting gravely messed up.

but still, I'm a big fan of playing the long game, and this fight felt more like a "6v6" than Ash vs Alain, which felt more like a series of (great) 1v1 matches with a few exceptions.
Man that’s a far more respectable reason for preferring Ash vs Paul than touting generic buzz terms like ‘emotional weight’, ‘tension’ and ‘build-up’. I do agree that Ash vs Paul felt like way more of a team battle though my counter to that is that Ash vs Alain had more of a big fight feel to it (I could easily imagine their battle being fought at a lvl equivalent to some high end champion league battle).

Ash vs Alain was still an amazing battle and a close number 2 in my eyes though, with XYZ37's animation being Iwane's magnum opus.
Thank you for admitting it’s ‘close’. If I were to tier battles in the pokémon anime, both of these would be top tier. I just want this match to be competitive and not a steamroll for Ash vs Paul.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ash vs Paul: 11/25 +
Ash vs Alain: 8/25

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ash vs Paul: 12/25 +
Ash vs Alain: 8/25

Genaller

Silver Soul
Ash vs Paul: 12/25
Ash vs Alain: 9/25 +

Can we at least get Ash vs Alain to 20? Ash vs Paul can win after that.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Ash vs Alain: 10/25 +

keepitsimple

site of lies
Ash vs Alain: 11/25 +

i abandoned this thread because i don't care about it, but since I'll vote this one time, what's the cooldown?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ash vs Alain: 11/25 +

i abandoned this thread because i don't care about it, but since I'll vote this one time, what's the cooldown?
2h

xEryChan

Demon Child
Ash vs Paul: 13/25
Ash vs Alain: 12/25 +

Honestly, Ash vs Alain is such an epic animated fight between them and I din’t mind it winning. Plus, Alain is one of the better-written characters.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Ash vs Paul: 14/25
Ash vs Alain: 13/25+
Ash vs Alain had some of, if not THE best choreography in the series (especially AG vs MCX)

Genaller

Silver Soul
Ash vs Paul: 15/25 +
Ash vs Alain: 13/25

Despite my criticisms of it, I still think that Ash vs Paul was a phenomenal battle that deserves to be placed in such high regard by the pokémon anime fan community.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Ash vs Paul: 16/25 +
Ash vs Alain: 13/25

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy