• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Anime Marathon

zhixun

Typically the anime is better in Japanese, especially from late-AG onward.

In my opinion the Japanese dub seems more natural to me. I watched the whole AG again with either Chinese or English subtitles. Particularly dislike English dub in BW and XY. Also since Sonans introduction, that was my favourite character since he is somewhat the fourth member of Rocket Dan. Watched for 8 episodes per day and I am still looking for this picture. Does anyone know which episode of the below picture appeared?

Team_Rocket_Wobbuffet_pose.png

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
Typically the anime is better in Japanese, especially from late-AG onward.

Personally I find japanese AG better than english AG as a whole.

One episode I like in japanese was when Team rocket was releasing Arbok and weezing because it was far more emotional in japanese than english due to more emotional music playing and team rocket from memory sounded more desperate to protect their Pokemon from danger. It really touched me.

I do enjoy the english version though for it's own strengths. I found the comedy episodes tended to keep my attention when it came to the english version.

I'm watching Battle Frontier, and all I can say is the voice acting in there is AWFUL. How the hell did you guys manage to survive through that?

I watch for the story mainly. Been doing that since the 4kids era. It helps get me past alot of things. During season 9 all I wanted to see was how well ash would do against the battle frontier.

I enjoy the current dub more in DP but I really did like may and brock in season 9 english version.

If you can watch the japanese version I do recommend it. I tend to find the japanese version very enjoyable personally and I did enjoy the few battle frontier episodes I did see in japanese years ago. The music is great and the characters really capture the feeling for the emotional scenes. I would also recommend a few earlier episodes and maybe movies in japanese as well since many are well worth a look at if the dub is bothering you too much.

If not and you decide to keep pursuing watching the dub then just try to not focus on the acting if it bothers you. Find a certain aspect you like and stick to it. Makes it alot easier when adjusting when your not focusing on acting.

On another note.
I've been marathoning the Pokemon series myself but it's on hold in favour of sonic cartoons.XP

Though when I get back to it I'm on season 2.=3
I plan to only go to the end of season 16 english dub (though I'll be watching a few japanese DVD's at the same time) because that's my limit for a long going show.

Last edited:

Cytral

I have seen the first episode of pokemon on tv to the episode that Charizard battled Poliwrath en freezed. Then they start all over again. Years later i watched all episodes on internet. It cost a while but now i am up-to-date.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
I'm watching Battle Frontier, and all I can say is the voice acting in there is AWFUL. How the hell did you guys manage to survive through that?

I barely got through it in the end. From BF onwards it's best to watch the anime in Japanese with English subtitles.

To Victini223: BW wasn't really that bad actually. DA was wreck, and so was the league, but the character interactions are so good it saves the series IMO.

Last edited:

CowNorris

Observing.
The Chimecho episode really early on got me used to the new voices somewhat, and then I just went in from there.

After a few weeks I found his old voice weird and slightly irritating, IMO he sounds a lot more mature now, which I liked.

I've tried to start watching some of the BW episodes recently and I find myself struggling to keep my attention on the screen. The fact that Ash's maturity diss appeared is a huge turn off. So I just skipped BW completely and went onto XY.

Last edited:

zhixun

I watched the DP saga a week ago and now I am up to DP140. Some fillers were actually good but there are too many of them so I fast forward some of the important ones. Should have a battle frontier instead that they should finish the sinnoh league earlier. What a chance wasted for Shinji to take on Jindai for the revenge.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I do like how most DP episodes are connected, a lot of episodes continue directly in the following ones.

One of the things I did dislike is some episodes have Ash or Dawn spending the entire episode teaching a Pokemon a new move. Couldn't that have just been done in 5 minutes of an episode instead of spending the entire thing? There were entire episodes just for Ash to teach Turtwig Energy Ball or Dawn practicing a Contest appeal. I realize its important to show this stuff but it could have been for 5 minutes.

After a few weeks I found his old voice weird and slightly irritating, IMO he sounds a lot more mature now, which I liked.

I don't like it at all because Ash is still 10 years old to this day, and he sounds way too old to be that age with his current voice, which makes his current English voice unfitting for him in general.

It's not just that, though: I also miss it because he didn't sound like he smoked packs of cigarettes constantly, but that's just me-- the older voice was a lot smoother and less...rough, which was nice: Veronica Taylor was best fit for him in my eyes.

I can think of an actor I'd like for him more than his current actress, too: Bryce Papenbrook, who voiced Red in The Origin's English dub.

EDIT: Someone who nega repped this, Ash IS confirmed to be 10 in BW001, English dubbed AND OG JPN Version, by the NARRATOR-- can I report abuse for this nega rep?

Last edited:

zhixun

I don't like it at all because Ash is still 10 years old to this day, and he sounds way too old to be that age with his current voice, which makes his current English voice unfitting for him in general.

It's not just that, though: I also miss it because he didn't sound like he smoked packs of cigarettes constantly, but that's just me-- the older voice was a lot smoother and less...rough, which was nice: Veronica Taylor was best fit for him in my eyes.

I can think of a actor I'd like for him more than his current actress, too: Bryce Papenbrook, who voiced Red in The Origin's English dub.

Satoshi in the current anime does not look like 10 while the producer claims it is. Although I never watch Pokémon dubbed, but I think the writers did not get away from his eternal 10 years old.

Satoshi in the current anime does not look like 10 while the producer claims it is. Although I never watch Pokémon dubbed, but I think the writers did not get away from his eternal 10 years old.

Yeah, I agree, but that doesn't change the fact they've made him eternally 10 for all time.

In the English dub, his voice doesn't really fit him in general past Season 8, sadly.

CowNorris

Observing.
He hasn't been acting like a 10 year old since Kanto so despite the fact that he is 10, an older voice suits his character a lot more.

His age isn't really that relevant since it was only bought up like, twice in the whole anime.

zhixun

He hasn't been acting like a 10 year old since Kanto so despite the fact that he is 10, an older voice suits his character a lot more.

His age isn't really that relevant since it was only bought up like, twice in the whole anime.

Agreed with you about this and I now started to ignore about his age. Treat him as a teenager in my point of view.

No, it doesn't: he always acts like a 10 year old in every saga be it OS, AG, DP, BW, or XY-- I've never seen this supposedly mature figure you guys liked in DP Ash, or right now in XY Ash, either-- in XY, he still acts goofy and silly several times even throwing some temper tantrums, while in DP, he argued with Dawn several times like a child and he acted very dense as well. That logic makes zero sense whatsoever: a 10 year old should sound like a 10 year old, not a 17 year old guy who smokes cigarettes. Common sense there, honestly. A younger voice suits the character a lot more, since he's still 10.

His age is very relevant-- brought up twice in the anime, sure, but the fact is Ash is an ageless character. Same goes for Brock/Takeshi: 15 then, 15 now. Ever seen WPM's interview with Masamitsu Hidaka, who is a storyboard artist for the Anime and was a former director of it? He confirmed this to be a fact.

Agreed with you about this and I now started to ignore about his age. Treat him as a teenager in my point of view.

He still doesn't sound like a regular teenager-- even if that were true, which it's not: right now, he sounds like a teenager who smokes cigarettes now in English. Helps that Sarah Natochenny (Ash's current voice actress) is a real life smoker, too-- Veronica Taylor (Ash's original voice actress in English) did not smoke cigarettes. I'd rather her deepen her voice (which she did in AG a bit) than listen to his current actress either way, honestly-- at least it was smooth and not so grouchy/rough on the ears.

Last edited:

zhixun

No, it doesn't: he always acts like a 10 year old-- I've never seen this mature figure you guys liked in DP Ash, or right now in XY Ash, either. That logic makes zero sense whatsoever: a 10 year old should sound like a 10 year old, not a 17 year old guy who smokes cigarettes. Common sense there, honestly. A younger voice suits the character a lot more, since he's still 10.

His age is very relevant-- brought up twice in the anime, sure, but the fact is Ash is an ageless character. Same goes for Brock/Takeshi: 15 then, 15 now. Ever seen WPM's interview with Masamitsu Hidaka, who is a storyboard artist for the Anime and was a former director of it? He confirmed this to be a fact.

He still doesn't sound like a regular teenager, even if that were true, which it's not: he sounds like a teenager who smokes cigarettes now in English. Helps that Sarah Natochenny (Ash's current voice actress) is a real life smoker, too.

Thank you for pointing out this. I do not smoke so I have no idea the voice changes when people smoke. I think they should have set Satoshi's age say 12 forever, then this will resolve most of the arguments that brought up for a long time.

Does it make sense to believe he ages when he is travelling at one region then at the beginning of each saga his age gone back to 10?

Thank you for pointing out this. I do not smoke so I have no idea the voice changes when people smoke. I think they should have set Satoshi's age say 12 forever, then this will resolve most of the arguments that brought up for a long time.

Does it make sense to believe he ages when he is travelling at one region then at the beginning of each saga his age gone back to 10?

Not a problem at all: I just wanted to clear that up. That would be fine with me, honestly.

Not really, no, but then I guess if you treat each Saga as a whole different continuity from one another, then yes, it does. I mean, of course he should age, but he doesn't: that's the sad reality here.

Im doing an anime marathon too! I started 2 years ago and I'm currently in Black and White - Rival Destinies. It's kind of depressing how the anime has gone down in Black and White. I mean, did Ash get amnesia or something? He's forgotten everything he learnt in Sinnoh, and even tried to catch a pokemon without battling it. Also, in the first episode of BW Pikachu gets knocked out by a Lvl 5 leaf tornado from a new trainer, even after landing a quick attack on Trip's Snivy, it wasn't a one-shot victory. I mean, we have a probably Lvl 80-something Pikachu versing a Lvl 5 Snivy, and Snivy takes a hit and knocks out Pikachu? Seriously?

Apologies for the rant above. I just needed to say it. :)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Im doing an anime marathon too! I started 2 years ago and I'm currently in Black and White - Rival Destinies. It's kind of depressing how the anime has gone down in Black and White. I mean, did Ash get amnesia or something? He's forgotten everything he learnt in Sinnoh, and even tried to catch a pokemon without battling it. Also, in the first episode of BW Pikachu gets knocked out by a Lvl 5 leaf tornado from a new trainer, even after landing a quick attack on Trip's Snivy, it wasn't a one-shot victory. I mean, we have a probably Lvl 80-something Pikachu versing a Lvl 5 Snivy, and Snivy takes a hit and knocks out Pikachu? Seriously?

Best Wishes tried to do a reboot and it didn't work.

XY ignores this and brings Ash back to what he was at the end of DP, or close to it. If anything the XY anime feels like it was meant to take place directly after DP.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.

Um, where did you get that idea? He's always been acting like a ten year old, whining, letting his gut do his thinking. No it doesn't, if he was a 17 year old chain smoker then he's it'd fit, but he's not so no.

It is. It's a cartoon, cartoon characters don't age unless the writers want to put effort. Ask this, why hasn't Timmy Turner (MC of the Fairly Oddparents), aged? Because he's a cartoon.

BW was supposed to be a reboot, or like a Gen I tribute. But the problem was making Ash this dumb after Sinnoh. Levels are non-existent in the anime. And if you watched closer, Pikachu lost it's electric attacks because of Zekrom DEM, and Ash was surprised at a new attack, so he didn't know how to work the battle out.

Last edited:

nameman

Um, where did you get that idea? He's always been acting like a ten year old, whining, letting his gut do his thinking. No it doesn't, if he was a 17 year old chain smoker then he's it'd fit, but he's not so no.

It is. It's a cartoon, cartoon characters don't age unless the writers want to put effort. Ask this, why hasn't Timmy Turner (MC of the Fairly Oddparents), aged? Because he's a cartoon.

Um... he technically has. They intentionally aged him in that one movie. Then there's the live-action movies. Timmy just doesn't age in the main show.