• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Anime Upping The Stakes!?!

cam24t

Master
With Ashs last two captures being Legendaries (of sorts) it seems like the Anime is kind of upping the requirement to be on Ashs team. I never thought I'd ever see Ash going around catching Legendaries and Mythicals like a straight boss. Maybe the days of Ash catching a wee Caterpie or going after Pokemon like Dunsparce are beneath and he's only going after Legendary Pokemon now. Afterall Gladion has a Sillvally on his team. Ash is gonna need the extra firepower.

This topic is filled with a tad bit of sarcasm but this is all but intriguing to say the least.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
Guess that is just for promotional purposes!!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Just don't go expecting him to catch/bond with Pokemon that you don't in the main plot of the new games. It isn't a coincidence that Nebby, Poipole, and Meltan were the ones he bonded with. It's also the ones that fall into the cute category coincidentally :p
Wish this could have happened with Zekrom.... would have been so awesome!
We'll have to wait and see what the Shield/Sword games have to offer before seeing if Ash has the potential to get a legendary, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't however. This region his options were a lot lower than normal due to all the other characters and for the first time ever the new games added new Pokemon and Ash is the best way to show them off(Hopefully the other two can do that next time... >.> )
I'd love it if the legendary wolves are like Zekrom/Reshiram and Nebby(And Rayquaza in ORAS), actually integral to the plot and not just "Here, beat/catch it lol" but that skipped a generation so I'd rather not get my hopes up. No matter what Ash will get the legendary if that's the case, but something on the smaller scale like Poipole and Meltan were I hope they let the other characters catch and bond with them so that they've got something to do rather than sit around until the plot requires them.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
With Ashs last two captures being Legendaries (of sorts) it seems like the Anime is kind of upping the requirement to be on Ashs team. I never thought I'd ever see Ash going around catching Legendaries and Mythicals like a straight boss. Maybe the days of Ash catching a wee Caterpie or going after Pokemon like Dunsparce are beneath and he's only going after Legendary Pokemon now. Afterall Gladion has a Sillvally on his team. Ash is gonna need the extra firepower.

This topic is filled with a tad bit of sarcasm but this is all but intriguing to say the least.
No, Poipole is NOT a Legendary and he released it, as it was always going to be temporary and Mythicals are not Legendaries.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
HAHAHAHAHA good one.

All joking aside, yeah no, I know some people think Meltan will remain unevolved and be sent to Oak's for studying but lets face one way or another its going to be released just like Poipole (and yes I am aware that UBs aren't legendaries but their own brand of special Pokemon) purely because of that incredibly stupid and irritating rule of Ash "never being allowed to permanently own special Pokemon" because he has to be the "underdog" even though he's just gonna dump off all his Pokemon at Professor Oak's lab anyway.

Seriously over time those rules have felt less and less justified and just increasingly more and more irritating

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
Well, during Sinnoh League, it was proven that "regular" trainers can capture Legendary Pokemon; as during the Sinnoh league we saw a guy with a Heatran. And not to mention Tobias, the unbeatable Trainer who always won with his Darkrai; until he faced Ash, so it was forced to use ANOTHER Legendary he had: Latios.

After all this time, Ash having a Legendary/Mythical Pokemon would suit perfectly. Although, to be honest, I always thought his "first and only" Legendary Pokemon would be Mewtwo. Anyway, SM was disappointed in many ways, but it has compesated with the fact of Ash capturing the most weird Pokemon he has ever found:

+ Rowlet and Torracat don't have much to mention.
+ Lycanroc in Dusk Form, which was very rare to get.
+ Even if it wasn't an official capture, Ash took care of Nebby until it evolved into Solgaleo.
+ He captured an Ultra-Beast (Poipole), which is a Pokemon from another dimension.
+ Finally, he captured Meltan, a Mythical Pokemon. And if it evolves to Melmetal, it would be epic.

I want to believe Ash will keep Meltan and Poipole will return for the Alolan League. Maybe it's asking too much, but each season of Pokemon needs to change something from the classic routine.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Funny part is SM really has no stakes.

It's not like owning one mythical Pokemon is going to make Ash OP. Mythical and Legendary Pokemon are high tier but they aren't unstoppable, even in the anime. Ash himself has defeated at least 4 in the anime: Articuno and Regice in the Battle Frontier, Darkrai and Latios in the Sinnoh League (though to be fair Latios was a draw). Also, Ash does already have one Pokemon in the same tier- Goodra. Goodra is a pseudo-legendary, so its power is like what you would normally see from a legendary despite not actually being one.

Also, Meltan is more than just Ash's first mythical Pokemon; it's also his first Steel-type. If Ash does keep it and Poipole doesn't come back Meltan will also be Ash's first long-term genderless Pokemon.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Gonna be honest. Most of your reactions are kind of disappointing. Where's the child-hearted excitement, your inner fanboy smiling widely? I recall Pokemon fans minds were greatly blown away when Pokemon Adventures revealed that main characters can own and befriend legendaries which reminded them of their own childhood from the games and I see it again for the first time for the anime but you guys don't seem that impressed. Even the positive reactions seem kind of, no offense, lacking that enthusiasm. Are you guys really that drained from the SM anime?

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Gonna be honest. Most of your reactions are kind of disappointing. Where's the child-hearted excitement, your inner fanboy smiling widely? I recall Pokemon fans minds were greatly blown away when Pokemon Adventures revealed that main characters can own and befriend legendaries which reminded them of their own childhood from the games and I see it again for the first time for the anime but you guys don't seem that impressed. Even the positive reactions seem kind of, no offense, lacking that enthusiasm. Are you guys really that drained from the SM anime?

People are just more cynical when it comes to the anime in general these days. Also, the fact that Ash is probably going to end up releasing Meltan makes people pretty unwilling to care about it - which is sad, but it’s fair, I suppose.

People are just more cynical when it comes to the anime in general these days. Also, the fact that Ash is probably going to end up releasing Meltan makes people pretty unwilling to care about it - which is sad, but it’s fair, I suppose.

I honestly don't think he's going to release it. He may send it to Oak to research it but it would still be his in that case.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think it probably has more to do with the fact that Meltan is succeeding Poipole and Nebby's roles previously but I have a good hunch that Meltan may actually stay onboard Ash's team. They have to show Melmetal after all whose evolution is hinted at being made of multiple Meltan's and he is connected to Kanto so Ash probably does have to take him with Kanto.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

I’m pleased with the capture of Meltan but it doesn’t feel like anything noteworthy happened. Meltan doesn’t have the same air of mystery and power as previous Mythicals. It also lacks the hype and time needed to give itself a name Nebby was a major legendary and Poipole was an unique UB. It’s just another Pokèmon that he’ll get rid of regardless of it’s released or Oaked. No build up outside of 2 cameos and an incentive of a controversial game where it serves no purpose besides bait. Plus it’s 20+ years: you know how the anime will end. We’re in the last ~30 episodes and there’s no way they’re giving it proper development. Why exactly should we be hyped about something having poor execution?

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!

People are honestly not caring that this is Ash's first steel type?! His first mythical?! Wow this fanbase is bitter!

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
People are honestly not caring that this is Ash's first steel type?! His first mythical?! Wow this fanbase is bitter!
They are it’s just people tend to acknowledge the lack of positivity rather than the actual positivity. Not caring about arbitrary facts doesn’t make you bitter. I really think some of you are just over exaggerating about this.

DatsRight

It depends on what you mean by 'stakes'. Ash has arguably had Pokemon more powerful than the mythicals he captured in SM. Ironically despite the unique almost 'special snowflake' motif of many of them, the series has arguably made the better call to focus more on their personalities.

Meltan doesn't really feel put on a pedestal like say, some of the guest mythicals in previous series were, if anything right now he mainly exists as Rowlet's little buddy.

Dusk Lycanroc is the nearest to an 'ace' this series, but even then he's not really portrayed as exceptional in power and abilities compared to other Lycanroc, again the focus is on characterisation and Ash's bond and use of him. His uniqueness if anything is less any prestiged element to him and more acting as much like Ash's other goofball Pokemon compared to the more aloof Lycanroc of the anime.

I could argue that making them 'special' Pokemon is more a second thought promoting, thinking up basic archetypes they wanna use and then inserting them into these new Pokemon in a way that still makes their species shine. Compare to say AshGreninja that really pushed the special ability and power level to it's highest level of limelight. The nearest to Ash really having such in SM is actually the Z Ring/Crystals he gains, which again is likely more for promotional purposes.

Last edited: