• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon anime's lack of darkness

Would you like to see anime becoming more dark?

• Total voters

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
Pokemon anime has had it's share of dark moments, but overall it's not that dark series. Do you think anime should be more dark in future?

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
it all depends on how should it dark it should be. for example adding drug referances and an over use of gun violence and having a bullet actually hit someone would be too dark. doing something like having a shadow pokemon arc and having them attack people VIOLENTLY would probably be pushing it but at the same time it would be doable depending how much they do it.

Kokatsu

Matters what level of dark you mean. It could easily get dark if they wanted to an be far from "too Dark" I have seen kid shows that hard dark themes but fine for the target demo

LizardonX

Banned
Well I would not see that work out unless the cast was all vampires, it’s kind of hard to see in the dark /shot

There was a thread today made about should pokemon become more violent. I think if the anime can incorporate that as much as possible then the show would become a whole lot better.

matt0044

It doesn't need to be "dark" but the stories and plot could use more weight and substance to them (like in the movies but on the small screen). Whether it's for kids or not isn't the problem regarding that.

Plus, Hunter J's fate wasn't what I'd call "light hearted." Unless you're a sadist.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think it should be darker, Season 1 had no problem doing it without excessive melodrama.

Thriller

Its almost time
If you want to see dark in a "'Mon Type" show, with virtually similar animation, check out Monster Rancher.

Vegeta8639

Vegeta8639
Well all I really care about in an anime is haw good the overall story, writing, and characters are but as the BW series is now it should def 100% be more dark.
Like for example make an episode where 2 groups of pokemon are fighting over territory or food. Or make a group actually steal someones pokemon and then Ash and co could after 10-20 episodes encounter they again and take it back(Like in Black/White 2 with purloin)
And of course making some pokemon actually get mad after they lose a battle every once in a while like with buizel and maybe later attack the pokemon they lost to out of battle?
There are many ways to make the show better and still make it child friendly by throwing in a few lessons along the way. But right now the writers just care about 3 things:
1. How much money they will make from the show
2. How little it will cost to make the show
3. What to spend they money on while we are here complaining on random forums

-END OF RANT

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
I'd like the series to become dark by having villains that are actually a serious threat and the "no Pokémon is evil" tripe being thoroughly quashed into the ground.

But I wouldn't want it to be a typical emo-ridden wangst-fest with no fun at all.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
I think it should be darker, Season 1 had no problem doing it without excessive melodrama.

This. Kanto's usual tone was arguably sillier than later sagas, but at the same time, when it got dark, it really wasn't afraid to get dark.

In D/P and BW, most of the dark moments come off as half-heartedly executed or forced. I'd really like it if we got the Kanto-style dark moments back.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Well some of the movies are pretty dark. I'd like to see more movies that have PG-13 or even R-level content in them.

The TV show also needs episodes that have TV-14 level content. I'd like to see an episode around a Houndoom-worshipping cult (based on Satanic cults) for example.

I prefer Sinnoh's dark. With the whole Chimchar and Paul thing. It was enjoyable, because it was new. I'm used to how Pokemon is now, but I had a choice, I'd go with the dark way.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
This. Kanto's usual tone was arguably sillier than later sagas, but at the same time, when it got dark, it really wasn't afraid to get dark.

In D/P and BW, most of the dark moments come off as half-heartedly executed or forced. I'd really like it if we got the Kanto-style dark moments back.

Agreed. The Chimchar abandonment thing comes to mind. Chimchar was annoying, Paul was not properly punished, etc.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Agreed. The Chimchar abandonment thing comes to mind. Chimchar was annoying, Paul was not properly punished, etc.

/Ash beat Paul.

Definitely DP dark is fine. I was disappointed when BW was so... Not sure, immature? Stuff like Cyrus and Hunter J are good, and there were many scenes where the trio gets hit by Pokemon attacks from the villain.

Blazicken

Sex on fire
sad thing is, the original plan for the anime was for it to be like the manga, but now it's just a bussiness.
The could easily make it into a serious and more dark-toned anime, & it would be a huge imrovement... though all they care about is money & little kids are their main source.

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
/Ash beat Paul.

Definitely DP dark is fine. I was disappointed when BW was so... Not sure, immature? Stuff like Cyrus and Hunter J are good, and there were many scenes where the trio gets hit by Pokemon attacks from the villain.

Yeah, years later. What I mean is, he wasn't punished for his ACTIONS, like Damien was.