• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Apocalypse (Pokemon/The Walking Dead)

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Hey guys.

I've been pretty into The Walking Dead recently, and thought it would be awesome to make a Pokemon/Walking Dead mix fic thingy. Now while this won't be all about the Pokemon part and a lot about the human characters/survival, I will obviously find a way to make Pokemon more relevant. One of those ways is to make the Pokemon actual characters. They can talk and understand humans and they're the main way of killing the zombies. Also my planned plot (as long as it doesnt go through many changes) has a lot to do with Pokemon, especially a certain Pokemon.

Anyways, with that out of the way, I'm just gonna say I've started a few fics here and all of them I just left unfinished. Hopefully this won't be the same, I can't promise, but I do promise that this has me really motivated, since I want to add a lot to the characters, make them different from all the others, give them their own personality, their own special thing.

Any criticism/review is good! :)

Finally, warnings:
I will obviously try to avoid any kind of swearing, but words such as damn/hell will be in this.
Some gore/frightening scenes for younger audiences, but I won't go into much detail
Deaths

And finally, this will be based on the actual earth. Not on the Pokemon world.

Hope this is all okay with the rules... :p

Chapter 1: The Beginning of the End

The clouds painted the sky grey. Few birds were seen flying around. They were getting ready for the harsh winter that was to come soon. The wind flung the trees hard in every direction. People already walked around wearing winter jackets, boots and scarves. The sound of the rain hitting the floor was soothing for some, yet stressful for others. It was a typical October morning in Germany.

Through the glass door burst a fifteen year old boy to the garden, who wore a grey sweater and a black wool hat to protect from the cold and rain. He was quickly followed by his partner Monferno, who also wore a cape to protect from the rain. The duo had been together for a few years now, and they were the closest friends.

“You ready for another hour session of extreme training, Jason?” Monferno asked his owner, smirking.

“Isn’t that my line?” Jason joked “Let’s start with some accuracy training.”

“One of my favorites, let’s do this!!” Monferno shouted.

Jason grabbed a few tennis balls while the ape ran to the other side of the garden, next to a shaky, wooden shack, where Jason’s family kept various things, such as tools, chairs, and their BBQ set. For a year now, Jason and Monferno had been training to participate in the regional Pokemon championship.

“Monferno, let’s do some physical training so use your body to deflect these tennis balls.” Jason told him.

Monferno simply nodded, and punched his chest rapidly several times. Jason hurled the first tennis ball, which Monferno easily knocked away with his right fist.

“Is that all you got??” Monferno laughed.

Jason smiled, and threw the second tennis ball, this time with more strength, which Monferno deflected after jumping and headed it away. The third tennis ball was deflected with the ape’s chest.

“C’mon, throw harder!” the monkey called.

Jason once again smiled at his partner’s witty remark, but this time, he filled his shot with strength, and hit Monferno right in the face.

“Are you okay?” Jason worriedly asked as he ran to him.

“I… that counts… I deflected it…” replied Monferno, as he fell almost unconscious on the ground.

Jason laughed.

“Can you continue? We can take a break if you want.”

“Grab the balls, let’s continue.” Monferno replied, as he stood up and looked his owner in the eye,

Jason and Monferno started collecting the tennis balls which were scattered on the grass, and saw the last one outside the fence. Next to it was a creature limping.

“Excuse me, could you pass us that ball?” Jason yelled out.

The creature had no reply. It simply kept limping, dragging its left foot on the floor.

“He doesn’t look alright, we should help him.” Jason whispered to Monferno.

“Let me handle this. HEY, ARE YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING??” screamed Monferno.

Jason hopped over the green, metallic fence and ran to the creature. Once he got there, he noticed that that was no normal creature. Its skin was rotting, it smelled awful, it had a clear bite mark on its shoulder, and its face was deformed, with one eye missing.

“St…ay… away…” the thing grunted, with a sickening low voice “I… do… don’t want… t-to… hurt… an…anybody…”

Jason simply stared at the thing, as it walked away. His eyes were wide open. He was frightened, and couldn’t help but puke behind him moments after the thing walked away.

“What… what the hell was that?” Monferno asked, staring at Jason.

Jason slowly walked towards the fence, and leaned on it. He had a hand on his chest, and Monferno could hear his breath come in gasps.

“We uh… we should probably call 112…” Monferno suggested, as he helped Jason to the house.

Monferno slid open the glass door to the living room. It was a big living room, painted in white with several paintings on the walls. There was one with an elegant, very light blue horse, and another with a very unusually, cylinder shaped, yellow tree. A golden carpet covered the floor where Sarah, Jason’s mother was standing on her knees, looking down. In front of her was a big, black TV, with the news channel on. Jason, who was calmer then, helped his mother stand up, while Monferno paid more attention to the TV.

“Mom, are you okay? Here, lean on my shoulder.” Jason offered, as his mom looked terrified “What is wrong, mom?”

“Hey uh… Jason?” Monferno tried interrupting him.

“Not now Monferno, mom clearly needs help.”

“I think we all need help Jason.”

“What do you mean?” Jason asked Monferno, and right away turned to the TV.

Jason’s jaw dropped. He hadn’t seen anything like this outside of movies. Well, until ten minutes ago. The TV read “Hundreds Killed by Wave of Dead People and Pokemon”. Jason sat Sarah down, who was still speechless and horrified, and turned up the TV.

“It’s absolutely horrible here where I stand. Yesterday, dozens of creatures which resembled people and Pokemon showed up looking more than dead. According to the few surviving witnesses, dozens of dead people and Pokemon appeared here in the center of the city. As many people attempted to help them, they were simply attacked by these “real life zombies”. These zombies would jump on the victims and eat away like they hadn’t eaten in weeks. The victims have all been carried to various hospitals scattered around the city. This is Jane Will- Oh no, watch out Carl! Behind you! Aghhh-“

The camera dropped to the floor, and the signal ended. Jason looked at Monferno stunned. He looked for a channel with a signal, and when he found one, it was another news channel. The president was live giving an announcement to every citizen of Germany, but it really applied to every person on Earth.

“We warn everyone to stay home and not open any door unless it is clear and obviously someone known, until the evacuation process starts and ends. If you see anything suspicious, stay away from it and call the police. The military is currently working to get rid of all of these creatures around Germany. The victims are in good hands to be healed at the best hospitals around. Danke, und auf wiedersehen.”

Jason sighed with relief, and sat down next to his mom, who was still not saying anything. However, he still looked deeply worried. He tried to cheer his mother by telling her that everything would be fine, and the military was on it. However, Sarah remained quiet, and with a big frown on her face.

“We should call dad. Make sure… everything is okay, you know?” Jason suggested to his mother.

On that instance, Sarah immediately looked up. Jason was surprised at the sudden movement by his mother, but also relieved. She stood up and walked upstairs.

“Mom, should we call dad?” Jason tried again, with a firmer voice.

“I already have dear, before. He’s fine.” replied his mother, nervously. “I’ll wake up your sister now, and we’ll see what to do.”

Jason looked at Monferno, and sat back, relaxed for the first time that morning. He heard his mother and his sister talk about everything that was happening, but eventually he stopped listening. He wanted to get away from what he had seen yesterday. However, once you witness an almost dead person telling you to go away to protect you, it’s hard to forget. That’s how Jason thought, at least.

“Hey uh… Jason?” mumbled Monferno, with a broken voice.

Jason suddenly opened his eyes and looked to his orange friend.

“Yeah?”

“The… the journalist… she said that Pokemon were also affected by this? Obviously… whatever these things are… they can’t be themselves… not anymore. Do you think that… that will be me?” Monferno asked.

Jason had never seen his friend this worried.

“Don’t worry Monferno. We’ll look out for each other.” answered Jason, reassuringly.

“Yeah, we’ll… we’ll make a good team.” smiled Monferno.

Jason looked at the clock on the TV, which marked 11:34. He looked around for his mother or sister, but neither were there.

“They’re upstairs… I heard Clara talk to your mom. She sounded real scared. Well, I mean, that’s normal, she’s an eight year old girl. But she kept asking questions like “What if they get me?” and “Will you be there always to protect me?” That got me thinking.” Monferno slowly said.

“Which is why you asked me if it would be you. Don’t worry Monferno, the doctors are taking care of it remember. And Clara is different. She’s still eight, and still very innocent and needy. She obviously would be more worried and need more attention, but we’re a strong family. ”

“Yeah, you’re right, you’re right.” with a small smile in his voice.

Jason heard steps come to the living room. It was his mother and his sister. His sister’s rosy cheeks had marks going down them, as there are when someone cries. Her blonde hair was still messy, probably from being on her bed crying to her mother. Her eyes looked like they were about to break down, but she tried to stay strong.

“Hey Clara, how you doing sweetie?” her brother asked, with a concerning voice.

‘Good’ was the only word to come out of her mouth, but even with only one word, you could tell that she was about to break down. That she wanted to break down. Her voice had trembled with one word only. She laid down on the couch, facing the pillow. Jason, Monferno and Sarah heard her sob.

“Why is she so sad? What did you tell her?” Jason whispered to his mother angry.

“The information we already know. She needs to know not to open any doors or windows.”

“Well, then why is she like this?” he continued whispering.

“She… She looked out of the window, and saw one of those things. Been crying since then, and I only just got her to stop, so don’t say anything, please.” Sarah explained herself.

Jason and Monferno nodded, when they heard the TV with the “Breaking News” alarm. The screen read “Hospital Victims Untreatable” in big red letters.

“It appears as if the bitten victims are untreatable. Dozens of victims so far have awakened just like the creatures that were out there for the past two days. It seems the symptoms so far include high fever a few hours after the bite, dizziness, rashes and infected wounds. It appears that lack of sight also happens in the short moments before the victim “zombifies. A few victims have been heard mumbling that they can’t see anything, just before they attempt to devour any near victims. Signal with other countries has been lost and the internet is down, so it is impossible to say how other countries are doing right now, but it is assumed the president will have another announcement soon, with new warn-“

The signal was lost. Jason, Monferno and Sarah looked at each other in despair. Clara was now crying louder. There was no way of finding more information about this situation, as everything was now down. No internet to access the rest of the world. No way of finding the situation in Germany.

“Listen, we need to get out of here.” Sarah said firmly.

“What about dad?” asked Jason worriedly.

“Your dad will find us. But for now, your safety is at risk, and so is your sister’s.”

“No, we can’t leave daddy.” Clara whined.

“I’m sorry honey but we have to. Your daddy would have wanted us to leave.”

“Alright, let’s go.” Jason agreed, as he sat next to his sister. “Don’t worry Clara, we’ll find dad. Or he'll find us.”

“I’ll be here to protect you all the time Clara.” Monferno said with a big grin on his face and a thumbs up pose.

“Where to, though?” Jason thought to himself.

They all got on the silver Mercedes and Sarah started driving away. She tried turning on the radio, but nothing. Sarah was driving with no real target location, but they just wanted to get away. They passed several people who wanted to get on to escape too, but there simply wasn’t enough space. After driving for a few minutes, a zombie walked in front of the car, trying to break the front glass.

“Damn! We need to stop it or the car is as good as gone! And even worse, so are we!” Monferno yelled. “Me and Jason will take care of it. Ms Sarah, protect Clara!

Jason and Monferno got out of the car, only to notice that the zombie was a fellow Monferno, only with two members missing and a big hole on its stomach.

“That’s…” whispered Monferno, as he looks away. “A… Monferno…”

“You… you don’t have to do this Monferno. I still have Larvitar who can help us.” Jason said as he grabbed his other pokeball.

Monferno closed his eyes, holding back tears, and launched a flamethrower attack on its fellow zombie. He opened his eyes, and simply went in the car again, without saying anything. Jason followed him, and he also entered without saying one word. Sarah was busy covering Clara’s eyes and ears.

“Everything went alright??” asked Sarah.

Neither Jason nor Monferno answered.

End of Chapter 1

Last edited:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I had a lot of fun writing this chapter, hope you guys enjoy it!
:)

Chapter 2: The first loss
The silver automobile was driving past the dying, now brown fields. Dozens of families stayed on the side of the street, in the hope that one family would be kind enough to risk their lives for them. However, very few families did that. Risking being attacked by one of those creatures weighed too much in everyone’s decisions. Especially because those creatures were wandering around everywhere, chasing everything that had a heart beat. The Pristan family was certainly no exception, and they just kept driving away.

Inside the car, the ambience was heavy. Everyone was quiet. Apart from Clara, they all knew what had just happened. Monferno was used to fainting its opponents, but not killing them, and most definitely not another of its kind. Jason gave him a different option, but putting at risk his inexperienced friend was not an option, and having his trainer fight a creature that is one bite away from killing anything was even worse. To Monferno, the Pristan family’s safety was all up to him, and having an eight year old helpless girl made it even more difficult for him.

“Where are we headed to?” Jason asked his mother.

Sarah wasn’t sure herself what the answer to that question was. However, at the moment, she was certain that the only option was to get away and see how the situation in another country was.

“Well, we have two options. We can either go to the airport, try to get ourselves in a flight. We could try to get a flight to Portugal to meet up with our family. Or we could drive to the Netherlands, and see how they’re doing over there.” she answered, with an indecisive voice.

Jason looked out of the window, quiet. He noticed all the things happening outside. He saw many broken families. Restless people trying to do anything to get away. Miserable people crying. The only exception were most of the Pokemon, who still looked lively and tried to cheer their trainers, telling them that everything would be okay.

“Poor people and Pokemon. Who knows what will happen to them. It’s a shame not everyone has a way of getting out of this place.” Jason thought to himself.

“So? Should we go to the airport or the Netherlands? What do you think would be best?” his mother insisted.

Jason looked at her, but had nothing to say. He didn’t know what would be the best answer. He wasn’t brave enough to make a decision that could end up sealing his family’s faith. He looked down, and sighed.

“We should go to the airport.” Monferno stated firmly. “If we have the chance of flying to safety, we should take it.”

“But… how do we know it’s safe?” Sarah asked.

Monferno sighed sarcastically.

“We don’t.”

Sarah took a left on a crossroad near by, and drove. Even though the roads they drove by changed, the scenery was all the same. Brown fields being forced down by the rain and wind; bloody, rotting corpses on the ground; families on the side of the road with no way of protecting themselves, and those creatures slowly walking around, going from one victim to another. In the Mercedes, it was all the same too. Everyone quiet. Jason looking out of the window on the passenger seat. Monferno and Clara looking down, lost in their own thoughts. And Sarah just kept driving.

As they approached the airport, Sarah stopped the car.

“Seems like basically the whole population had the same idea as us. We’re still several streets away from the airport, and the traffic is already problematic.” she sighed loudly.

“This will take us hours. Isn’t there another way?” Jason moaned.

“This way is the only way for the departures. Besides, we can’t go back anymore, the traffic behind us is getting worse by the second.” replied Sarah.

Jason and Monferno looked back, and saw a line of cars that extended for some good 200 meters. Jason put his hands against his head and sighed.

“We should have gone to the Netherlands. I’m sorry guys.” Monferno said with a blue feeling to his voice.

“It’s alright Monferno, at least you were brave enough to make a decision and try to lead us. I, on the other hand, just stayed quiet.” said Jason sad.

“Nobody is to blame. We all agreed on this, and will figure something out.” Jason’s mother stated.

Just then, the driver of the car in front of them came out, and started yelling as he honked at the same time. He yelled “Come on!” several times.

“This can’t be good. What if those… things hear him?” Jason panicked.

The well-built man kept yelling, making a lot of noise. Other people were coming out of the car to see what was happening. However, they all quickly went back inside, and loud gasps could be heard. The man looked around him to see why everyone hurried back inside the cars, and noticed a few zombified creatures quickly walk towards him.

“Oh gosh! We need to get out of here!” Sarah quickly exclaimed, as the zombies approached the man.

“We should help him! There aren’t that many and we could help him get away!” Jason answered.

“No chance, you’ll be putting you and Monferno at risk, and even worse, your sister!”

Clara noticed what her mother had said, and started sobbing.

“Hey, don’t worry. We’ll be okay. I made a promise to protect you, and I will keep it.” Monferno whispered to her, with a smile.

“We can’t let the man die!” Jason yelled, as he opened the door. “Let’s go Monferno!”

“Sit back! You’re risking everything!” Sarah yelled back.

“Sorry mom, but if there’s a chance a person can live, we need to help! Look after Clara!” Jason responded, as he closed the door and ran to the man, followed by Monferno.

As Jason and Monferno got close to him, the zombies got closer at a terrifying pace. Between the zombies, Monferno noticed a zombified Leafeon, whose skin was all grey, unlike the usual, pleasant green. It was missing a member, and had its face deformed. Monferno looked back in horror and whimpered.

“Sir, do you have a Pokemon? We’ll… need some help” Jason asked.

“Yeah! Come out Luxray!” he yelled as he threw a black ball, with a red and yellow line going through it. “My name’s Alvin.”

Alvin was a buff, young adult. He looked like he had been working out for years now, and Jason even felt slightly intimated by him. Over his brown skin was a pair of jeans and a dark red raincoat.

“What’s up? Oh, more of these assholes.” Luxray muttered, as he noticed the incoming zombies.

“Luxray, shock them!” Alvin yelled out.

Luxray proceeded to send a shock wave towards the zombies, which made some of them fall. However, they were still coming, and each time, more and more of them were coming.

“Monferno, are you okay with battling more of them?” asked Jason worriedly.

“Let’s do this.” Monferno said as he hit his fist against the palm of his hand.

“Okay, burn them!”

Monferno and Luxray attacked together and killed most of the zombies. However, there were too many, and they kept advancing. Many other people came out of their cars to help Jason and Alvin, and they managed to throw them back. Some zombies managed to go through though, which slowed down the process of killing them.

“Oh gosh… There are too many!” Alvin said as he slowly walked back. “We need t- AGH!!!” he screamed out.

Jason, Monferno and Luxray immediately looked back at him, and saw him get attacked from behind by two zombies from behind. They all ran to help him.

“NO! This isn’t gonna end like this!” Luxray screamed as he ran to his owner.

Alvin tried to push the zombies away, but they were too heavy. He managed to hold them away for enough time though, as Luxray and Monferno quickly got to him. They struggled to push them away but managed.

“Oh gosh, I’m okay, I think!” Alvin sighed.

“Damn man, that was close. You okay, newbie?” Luxray joked to Monferno, who was sitting on the floor, looking at his arm with a horrifying look.

“Monferno, what’s the mat- No… You… you’re bit…” Jason said very quietly.

“Oh gosh… DAMN IT!” Alvin yelled out. “Wait, do you know what bit you?!”

“What the hell man?! Why would you even ask that?!” Jason angrily screamed.

“No, that’s not what I mean. I heard on my walkie talkie my girlfriend tell me that Pokemon only turn if they’re bit by something that is effective against it. She’s a nurse; she’s been following this… disease…” Alvin stated.

“It… it was that Leafeon. That zombified Leafeon bit me. It must have gone around us.” Monferno looked at its arm.

“So… you’re good?? Since Leafeon is a grass type.” Jason sighed with relief.

“Yeah…” Monferno sighed too. “Look, the zombies are almost all dead. We… we made it.”

People started getting back into their cars, and driving through the fields to get back to the road, as more and more people were going to the airport, and the traffic wasn’t getting any slower. Alvin walked to his car to show Jason the notes his girlfriend had left him.

“Hey… Monferno. Look at his right leg.” Jason noted to his friend.

Monferno looked in terror. There was a bite mark on Alvin’s leg. He must have not even noticed it with everything that happened. Monferno looked over at Luxray, who was also looking at it. The lynx looked dead scared. He was just staring at the drips of blood coming out of the wound; the oval shape that indented into the man’s skin. Luxray knew what was going to happen, and he couldn’t fight the tears. Alvin started walking back, and noticed them three terrorized.

“What… what’s wrong..?” Alvin slowly asked.

Jason raised his shaking finger pointing at Alvin’s leg. He didn’t stop to look at Alvin. Neither did Monferno, and Luxray was just trying his best not to cry in front of the man he loved. Alvin looked down on his leg. He closed his eyes, and just sat on the back of his car.

“So… this is… how it ends…” Alvin sobbed.

Luxray walked over to his owner, and just laid his head on his lap. Both of them couldn’t handle it anymore and just stopped fighting back the tears. Jason and Monferno stood there, saying nothing.

“Hey uh… kiddo… what was your name again?” Alvin asked, as he holds back the tears for a few seconds.

“I never did. It’s Jason.”

“Listen Jason. I’m gonna die, no matter what. Luxray here… he needs a strong, caring trainer. I need you to take care of it. I’m not gonna let it die. Oh, and here. Have these notes. They’ll help you.” Alvin said as he handed him a notebook and Luxray’s Luxury Ball.

“I… I will.”

“Listen, Luxray. Unfortunately, this… this is it, for me. You’re gonna go with Jason and Monferno. You’re… gonna take care of them.” Alvin went on his knee and sobbed.

Luxray didn’t say anything. He just kept looking down, tears running down his face.

“Can you do that? One last mission for me, before I die. So that I die knowing you’ll be fine.” Alvin sobbed.

“You… you can count on me… partner.” Luxray hugged his owner.

“Go in the Luxury Ball Luxray.” Alvin said. “I’ll know you’ll be safer then.”

“So… this is it. Our final good bye?” Luxray cried.

“Our… final good bye.” his trainer stated.

Alvin saluted his Pokemon in tears, and Jason returned him to his Luxury Ball. Nothing was said for the next minute. The only sound heard was Alvin crying.

“Now listen, Jason. You can’t let me turn. I… I don’t want to be… one of those things…”

Jason just stared at him. He had no idea what to say.

“I… I want you to… euthanize me.”

Jason gasped, and looked at Monferno.

“I… I can’t do that. I can’t take away someone’s life like that.”

“My life is already over. I don’t know if I’m myself when I turn into one of those, and I’d rather not find out. Please Jason, Monferno. Just end me.”

“We… we’re not gonna do that. That’s… too much. I’m sorry Alvin.”

“Please man!” Alvin cried out.

“I… I just can’t.” Jason said.

Alvin looked over at Monferno, in complete despair.

“Sorry man. I’m… I’m not gonna kill a man.” Monferno said with a broken voice.

“I’m already dead either way…” Alvin sobbed.

The three changed looks. Then, screams could be heard from far away. Someone was honking and yelling at the drivers to hurry up, just like Alvin was minutes ago.

“Jason, Monferno, let’s go! There’s a herd of zombies coming!!” Sarah yelled from the car, after comforting Clara.

“I’m… I’m sorry Alvin. Take care.” Jason said, as he walked back with Monferno.

“Take… good care of Luxray…” Alvin whispered, as he went on his knees crying.

Jason and Monferno got on the car, and Sarah started driving through the opposite fields that the zombies were at. The fields were even more damaged now with the several cars that had driven through them.

“Well… guess we’re going to the Netherlands.” Monferno stated.

End of Chapter 2​

Last edited:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
This... was a long chapter.

Also, remember, reviews are welcome, and I would love to hear your opinions! :)

Chapter 3: Back Home

“Creatures killable
One bite, you turn
Symptoms: high fevers, rashes, infections, dizziness,
Pokemon only turn if bit by humans OR Pokemon that are effective against them (Avoid ground types!!!)”

The Pristan family had been locked in the car for two full hours now. Even though they lived in the western part of Germany, many roads were closed, and some areas were impossible to go through, with the quantity of dead bodies, zombies, and police fighting them. They’d left the residential areas, and hadn’t seen anything in a while. No zombies, no victims, no desperate families. Nothing. They finally felt peaceful.

“What are you reading over there?” Sarah asked her fifteen year old son.

“Oh, just some… notes, that Alvin left behind.”

“What’s it say?” his mother asked him with a smile.

“Some notes on the current situation. Most of it we already know, but Pokemon only turn if they’re bit by something that is effective against them. That’s why Monferno is safe after getting bit by that… Leafeon. Oh yeah, and his girlfriend’s name on the bottom surrounded by a heart. Johanna… she’s a nurse.”

“What happened to her?”

“I don’t know. Alvin said that she told him these notes through a walkie-talkie. I’m assuming it was before he left to the airport. Maybe they were trying to meet there.” Jason said concernedly.

“That’s sad. A real shame.”

From the back of a car, came a quiet, delicate voice. “Do you think… she’s okay?” Clara asked.

Sarah and Jason exchanged a look.

“I’m sure she’s fine by now honey.” Sarah said with a grin.

“What are you so jolly about?” her son questioned her.

“Nothing I just… I just think we’ll find a good place in the Netherlands, at least to rest. We’ll be fine there, I’m sure of it.” she sighed with relief.

Jason nodded, though he couldn’t share his mother’s optimism. He grabbed the Luxury Ball and looked at it.

“Poor Luxray. He lost his best friend, and doesn’t know where Johanna is.” he whispered.

“You know, Luxray might know if Johanna is fine. Or he might know her location.” Monferno noted as he reached forward to Jason’s seat.
“You think? I mean, we could ask him. But if she… isn't fine… it might be hard for Luxray to answer that question.” said Jason carefully.

“Well, we won’t know if we don’t try. I can ask him for you. Right now, he needs a friend Pokemon more than anything.”

Sarah, who was listening to their conversation, interrupted them by stopping the car in the middle of the road. There seemed to be nothing around them, only dark green pastures. There was nature all around them.

“Woah, woah, woah. What are you doing? This… might be dangerous.” observed Jason as he looked around.

“There’s nothing around us. It’s the perfect time to stop, take a break. Ask Luxray about Johanna.”

Jason looked at Monferno, who nodded. They opened the doors and all stepped outside. Jason threw the Luxury Ball on the floor, and Luxray came out. The first facial expression Jason noticed on Luxray was hurtful, a big frown and eyes nearly closed. That reminded him of when Alvin asked him to euthanize him, and how he didn’t have the heart to do so. He imagined how Alvin must be right now, if he hadn’t turned yet.

“Hey uh… Luxray?” Monferno slowly said.

“What? Why did you guys call me?” he responded angrily.

“We’re… we’re sorry for what happened with Alvin. But we think we can help you.” Monferno answered carefully.

“Well, you can try as hard as you can, you sure as hell won’t please me.” he said, turning his back and walking away. “You should know, I’m only here because… Alvin trusted you. But I’m not Alvin, and I definitely don’t trust someone I met less than one day ago.”

Monferno didn’t reply, and neither did Jason. They left him alone for a moment. However, Sarah started following Luxray.

“You two look after Clara.” she said as she caught up with the lynx. “Wait, listen Luxray!”

Luxray didn’t reply, and simply kept walking.

“You can try to ignore me as much as you want, but you’re gonna hear from me now.”

Luxray laughed, shook his furry head and kept walking.

“I know I wasn’t there to help with Alvin, since I was taking care of my daughter, so I’ve got nothing to say on the matter, except that I know what you’re going through.”

“Believe me, you don’t know what I’m going through. You’ve got your family here, I lost my family.” Luxray said as he stopped and turned around.

“I’ve lost a big part of my family too, you know? Right now, it’s me, Jason, Clara and Monferno. My parents are in Portugal, where we’re from, but God knows if they’re okay! My sister… I haven’t heard from her in ages. I have a brother who lives in Canada, and I hear from him maybe once a month. And the worst… my…” Sarah sobbed.

“What… what happened..?”

“Before we left the house earlier today, I called him… to check on him… He told me to take the kids and get out of the house before anything happened to us. Then he was saying how he loved me… and how he had locked himself in his office alone because… his company was getting attacked. All I heard after that were screams, so YES, I THINK I KNOW WHAT YOU’RE GOING THROUGH!” she screamed.

Luxray stood silent.

“And to make it all worse, I told Jason that he’s fine, and I keep promising Clara that he will survive. What… what kind of mother am I, if I can’t even tell them the truth…” Sarah cried.

“A good one. Protecting your children from pain is hard to do, and only those brave enough to stay in pain alone while they’re cheerful is… honorable. I would know. I have a baby Shinx. Though right now, it seems more likely she’s dead…” Luxray said with a broken voice.

“Where is she now?”

“I… I don’t know. She was with… with Alvin’s girlfriend, Johanna. She wanted to see what her job was like. She’s a nurse, and she was at the hospital taking care of all the victims. But since they’re untreatable… she’s more than likely dead and… so is Shinx.” Luxray cried.

“Then… why were you going… to the airport?” Sarah questioned him.

“Alvin… he wasn’t sure, but the last words that he heard on the walkie-talkie from Johanna were “meet” and “airport”. Just when the connection was dying, he heard those two words, and it was the only hint we had on Johanna and Shinx. But… fate had a different idea. We’re… not so different, you and I. I apologize for yelling at you before.” Luxray said as he walked close to her.

Sarah smiled. She pet Luxray’s head and sat down with him. None of them talked for a few minutes. They knew they both had gone through many losses, and right now, a pleasant silence was better than any words. Sarah then stood up from the shiny green grass.

“I have to ask you a question Luxray. Where did Johanna work?”

“She… she worked at a hospital. I don’t know what it was called, but I know it was back close to the airport. Why?”

“Well… a while ago, Jason, Monferno and I were talking. We said that we should ask you where Johanna works, because it might make things easier for you if we do find her. Since this… disease has just started a few days ago, there’s a decent chance that the hospital is untouched, or the victims were dealt with.”

“Are you saying we’re going to go find her and Shinx?” he said with a spark of hope in the corner of his eye.

“No… I’m saying that you’re part of this group now, and you can also say what you think we should do. Right now, I think we should at least try to see if she’s okay. What do you think?” she smiled.

“… Why are you doing this?”

“Like you said, we have a lot of common. If I had the chance to go back to get my husband, I would. Right now, though, that chance is nonexistent. You though, have a clear chance. If we need, we’ll search the airport. You said the hospital is close to the airport right?”

“Yes.” Luxray smiled.

“Well, let’s go talk to the rest then.” Sarah said, smiling to Luxray.

Sarah stood up and walked rapidly to Jason, Monferno and Clara, the first two being extremely impatient on this situation, while the latter was sitting in the car.

“So, Jason and Monferno, me and Luxray were thinking that we should go back and try to find Johanna. She was working at a hospital close to the airport, though she might have gone to the airport waiting for us. What do you think?” she said slowly, as she winked to them.

Jason and Monferno smiled and nodded. They all went in the car. This time, Luxray took the front seat and Jason ended up sitting in the back middle seat. Sarah started driving quickly, hitting two hundred and fifty kilometers per hour, and at that rate, they would get back in less than one hour.

“We could stop by Alvin’s house. To get the walkie-talkie, maybe the connections are up again.” Luxray suggested.

“Worth trying.” Sarah answered.

“That’s the house. With the pink roof, and all the pink and yellow flowers by the entrance.” Luxray said as he looked to Alvin’s old house. “Some of those things will most likely be around, so we shouldn’t risk everyone’s lives. I’ll go alone.”

“Wait, I’ll go with!” Monferno said. “Two heads are better than one.”

“Alright, but stay low and quiet.”

Both Pokemon closed the car doors quietly. Monferno crouched and followed Luxray’s slow footsteps.

“How are we going to open the door?” Monferno asked confused.

Luxray told him to shut up, and lifted a silver vase with red spiral stripes. Under it was a small silver key.
“Ohhh. Makes sense.” the ape said quietly.

They rushed in, and after closing the door, they stood up. Monferno walked around the blue furry carpet that covered the wooden floor on the living room.

“Where is this walkie-talkie?” he asked.

“It’s in the room to your right, on the brown desk, if I remember correctly. Go get it, and go to the car. I’ll be right there.”

“Okay.” Monferno said, as he walked into Alvin’s room. “Alright let’s see where it is…”

Monferno started searching for the walkie-talkie on the desk, but it wasn’t there. He looked around for it, and found it by the bed. By the bed was also a golden frame with a picture on it. The picture featured two individuals, one male and one female. The male had dark skin, and was a very muscular man, wearing a white sleeveless shirt. He was also holding a pistol. The woman was a white short woman, with a brown ponytail. She had a doctor’s white uniform, and was holding a syringe. Next to them were two Pokemon. Luxray and Shinx. Monferno grabbed the picture, and went to the car. Meanwhile, Luxray was looking for something on the other side of the house.

“Ugh, where did I put that pi-“ he got interrupted by loud banging noises on the window.

Luxray ran to the living room and saw a human zombie try to get in. It was relatively tall, was missing its whole lower jaw, and its skin looked like it had been rotting for the past five years. As the zombie kept punching the glass, Luxray quickly looked for the picture that Monferno had taken moments ago. However, he wasn’t successful, and eventually, the zombie broke the window and went through.

“Damn. I need to stop it. But if I shock it, it will make too much noise and attract more zombies. Ah, screw it! There’s no other option.” Luxray thought to himself, as he used a Thunder attack and burned completely the zombie’s body, which was now just dust on the floor.

Luxray ran out of the house and quickly got on the car.

“Are you okay? What’s wrong?” Sarah asks worried.

“Nothing. Go on, I’ll show where the hospital is.” he answered panting.

Monferno looked at Luxray as he thought of the picture he had taken. He was obviously gonna give it back to him, as he thought Luxray would want it, but he didn’t want to do it in front of Jason, Sarah and Clara.

“I can’t leave you both here Jason.” Sarah said quietly so Clara wouldn’t hear.

“But mom, you can’t take Clara to the hospital, it’s too dangerous. Stay in the car, I’ll go with Monferno and Luxray.” Jason replied bravely. “I don’t want anything happening to you two. It might be dangerous inside.”
“No, I started this with Luxray, I’ll help him end this. Don’t you have that newly caught Larvitar with you? Use it to protect yourself!”

“But mom-“

“It’s an order. Give me Larvitar’s Pokeball.”

Jason did as Sarah said, and called Larvitar out.

“Hi Larvitar, I need you to look after Jason and Clara. Understood?”

“Hello. I will do so.”

Sarah nodded, and walked towards the hospital with Monferno and Luxray. Meanwhile, by the car Jason made sure Clara was safe in the car.

“Hello, Master Jason. It’s been a long time since I breathed in fresh air.” Larvitar said with shyness in his voice.

“Yeah, sorry about that. It’s… complicated.”

Jason went on to explain the situation to Larvitar. Meanwhile, Sarah, Monferno and Luxray stayed low and quiet walking to the big, white building in front. It read “St. Mary’s Hospital.” In front of the main entrance, a horde of zombies banged on the barricaded doors to try and open them. The three stayed behind cars parked at the entrance to avoid being seen by the horde.

“What do we do now? We can’t exactly attack them; there are probably over a hundred of them!” Sarah stated.

“Which means they want to get in there to attack whoever is in there. There are definitely people inside.” Monferno noted.

“I remember there’s a backdoor. We’ll go in through there, don’t make any noise.” he whispered.

The three backtracked a bit and went around a grey wall with a lot of graffiti on it. They walked quickly but carefully, and when they got to the backdoor, it was also barricaded.

“Damn it. Now what??” Monferno asked.

“Hm… do you still have that walkie-talkie? Maybe it works now?” Luxray mentioned.

“Yeah, let’s try.”

They gave the walkie-talkie to Sarah, who was the most capable of using it as a human invention, and she turned it on and started whispering. Unfortunately, nobody replied.

“Hm…” Luxray sighed. “Hey, that window on the fourth floor is opened! Monferno, can you climb up there?” he asked.

“Easy stuff man. Let’s go.” the monkey whispered as he jumped from the floor to a window on the first floor, and then to the second, third and finally fourth.

He went in a surgery room with nobody in it. He quickly went down to the first floor to the back door, and managed to break open the barricade.

“Did you find anybody?” Luxray asked worried.

“Nope, no signs of life.” Monferno calmly answered, as the lynx frowned. “Oh c’mon, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Doesn’t matter, we have to keep moving! And try not to get seen by the zombies in the entrance, we don’t want to rile them up even more. We’re here to help Luxray find Johanna and Shinx.” Sarah reminded them.

Luxray nodded, and they went up the stairs. In each floor they’d go through every room to look for anybody who might have stayed behind, but initially there were no signs of life. Once they got to the seventh floor, things were different though. The atmosphere felt different. The lights were on; it was warmer, like the heater was on.

“There might be people around here. Watch out.” Luxray observed, as they stuck to the blue walls.

After searching two rooms, they got to a room with only a flash of light. They heard quiet voices come from inside, but they could understand what they were saying.

“I’m telling you, I saw it with my own eyes! A Monferno running around on the fourth floor. He ran down. If he was zombified, who knows where he is right now, and if he’s about to eat us.” a deep, manly voice said.

“That’s hard to believe.” a more delicate voice said.

Luxray looked inside through the keyhole, and saw a group of people. On the side there were three corpses of victims that had been infected. Suddenly, Luxray stepped back, quiet, and just staring at the keyhole.

“What’s wrong?” Sarah asked him.

However, she got no reply. She tried again.

“Luxray, talk to me.”

Once again, no reply. This time however, Luxray started shaking. His eyes were filled with anger. He then stepped back again, and again, and again, and again.

“What’s he doing?” Monferno whispered to Sarah.

“Don’t do anything Luxray. Don’t risk getting heard.” Sarah reminded him.

However, Luxray wasn’t listening. He had seen Shinx’s corpse on the side with the other two human corpses, and he was full of anger. He wasn’t listening to anything Sarah or Monferno said, he just wanted to get his revenge. He burst open the door and growled at the group.

“What the hell?! A Luxray? He doesn’t look infected though!” the manly voice from before said.

“YOU! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO?!” Luxray yelled at a white short woman, with a ponytail.

“Lux…Luxray… you’re alive!” Johanna exclaimed, as she approached him.

“Don’t come close to me! What did you do with Shinx?!” as he pointed at her dead body.

Johanna looked at the corpse, and sobbed. The corpse looked like Shinx hadn’t turned yet, but there was a bullet in her head.

“Shinx… Shinx was bitten. Listen, she was going to turn, there was no other way.”

“SO YOU JUST SHOT HER?!”

“We… we had to put her out of her misery.”

Luxray just stared at Johanna.

“Where… where is Alvin?” she asked, worried for not seeing him with Luxray.

“He’s… he’s gone. I’m with them now.” Luxray said as he looked at Monferno and Sarah, who walked through the door. “We came here to find you and Shinx… but you ruined it.”

“Alvin… is dead..?” Johanna cried.

“He never cared for you anyways. Let’s go guys.” Luxray said to Sarah and Monferno, who were both shocked with Luxray’s attitude.

As they started walking down, Johanna came running after Luxray.

“Take that back! How dare you?!” she yelled.

“You killed Shinx, and you have the guts to ask me how I dare?” Luxray responds.

“I had to do it! She was going to turn! She knew what was going to happen, and SHE asked me to do it. I wouldn’t have done it otherwise. But she asked me, and hell, I didn’t want to see Shinx, who was part of my family too, not only yours, turn into one of them!”

“Be quiet! The zombies will hear us!” Sarah warned them, though it was too late. Once she said that, the front entrance broke open, and a horde of zombies walked in slowly.

“Oh no! What do we do?!” Sarah exclaimed.

Nobody knew the answer to that. They all got in position in front of the staircase, and just waited. When the first zombie came, Monferno used his Flamethrower attack to burn it. That worked for the first few lone zombies, however when more came, they were forced to back up, as there were too many. Monferno and Luxray were the only chance they had of killing them, as the guns had been lost hours earlier in another floor due to the fear of the zombies breaking through.

“There’s too many… what do we do?” Monferno asked Luxray quietly.

“We… run. Upstairs.”

The two groups ran to the eighth floor to find more cover and get into position again. Once again, only Monferno and Luxray could help. There were still dozens of rotting, disgusting zombies, and Monferno and Luxray were losing ground.

“I’m getting tired Luxray!” Monferno yelled. “I don’t think I can keep up!”

“Just… hang in there.”

“Let’s take the elevator to the first floor! By now, most zombies should have been dealt with, and we’ll make a run for it!” one of the men in the other group suggested.

They went in the elevator, and went down to the first floor. However, in the first floor there were many zombies as well, though not as many as the horde attacking them upstairs.

“Oh… gosh!” another person of the other group yelled, attracting some of the zombies.

Two people of the other group just started running for their lives, and the whole group ended up separated. Luxray was with Johanna and two other people of the other group, while Sarah and Monferno were together with three more people.

“This isn’t good.” Johanna whispered, hiding behind a desk with Luxray and the other two people. “Listen, Luxray. I’m sorry for what I did.”

Luxray said nothing.

“I just… couldn’t bare thinking that Shinx would… become one of those… creatures.”

“Don’t say that!” he replied.

“I’m sorry… I also cared for her… not only you Luxray. I’m sorry.”

“You… you were doing what was best. You couldn’t risk all your lives… and you spared her from a fate worse than death.”

Luxray and Johanna looked at each other, and smiled.

“We need to stick together.” she said to him.

“I’m sorry for what I said before. He loved you… so, so much.” he sobbed. “And… I miss him so, damn much.”
“I do too buddy…” she sobbed as well.

“We… we should get out of here now.”

Luxray, Johanna, and the other two people stood up, and started attacking the zombies. There were less and less of them gradually. Meanwhile, Monferno, Sarah and the other three people were on the other side of the floor.

“Monferno, watch out!” Sarah screamed to Monferno, who was attacking the zombies near them.

“I got this.” he answered.

“You’re tired, why don’t you rest a little?”

“I can’t… I… I need to get us out of here.” the orange ape said.

“Well, at least let me help you. There must be something in this room…” Sarah said, as she searched the room for weapons. She found a silver scalpel in one of the drawers. “This will do.”

Monferno and Sarah started killing the zombies stealthily that were near them.

“This is good. We’ll get out of here.” Monferno said, as he turned to Sarah.

“WATCH OUT! BEHIND YOU!” she yelled, as she pushed him out of the way and hit the zombie.

“Woah… you saved me.” he said.

Sarah was lying on the floor, however. She hadn’t killed the zombie, and he was on her. While she tried to push him off, Monferno grabbed it and killed it. He looked down at Sarah, and noticed blood on her neck. It was a bite mark.

“Sarah…” he said, stunned.

Sarah felt the blood, and she started crying. She touched the wound with her hand, and there was a clear, deep bite mark. She was going to die.

End of Chapter 3​

Last edited:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
It's been a while. I've been busy.

Feedback is welcome. :)

Chapter 4: The aftermath
“NO! JUST… JUST HANG IN THERE! WE’LL FIND A WAY TO SAVE YOU!” Monferno yelled in tears.

Sarah had her eyes open, though she couldn’t really see much with all the blood she was losing.

“C’MON MISS SARAH! WE’LL GET OUT OF HERE ALIVE!”

Sarah slowly turned her eyes to the ape and slowly caressed his wet cheek.

“MISS SARAH… Please…” Monferno cried.

“I…” Sarah said before coughing blood. “I’m… not gonna make it…” she whispered in his ear.

“DON’T SAY THAT!” he yelled back. “HEY! YOU THREE, COVER US!” he screamed at the other three survivors.

One of the women and the man shot the few remaining zombies, while the second woman offered her help to Monferno and Sarah.

“Just… just go away.” Monferno replied to the woman, in tears.

“Listen… Monferno… There’s -“ Sarah tried talking, though the blood loss was making it very difficult for her. “There’s something I have to tell you.” she whispered seriously.

“You… you can tell me later. When we’re safe. For now, we need to heal you up.” he replied, unconvincingly.

“Listen… I want you to tell Jason and Clara… that -“ she once again was unable to finish her sentence. “Henrik… is dead.”

Monferno said nothing. His fur was hardened and he was shaking.

“But… but you said Mr Henrik… was alright…” he said, as his tears became more frequent.

The remaining survivors gathered around Monferno and Sarah. They put their guns away, and kneeled down.

“There’s no more of them. The noise might have attracted some from the outside though…” a red haired woman said to Monferno. He briefly looked at her, and then looked back at Sarah.

“I… didn’t want them to know…” Sarah murmured. “Not like this… I was… I was gonna tell them… eventually.”

Sarah was starting to get weaker. Usually, it takes a while for someone to turn. However, the deep bite that the zombie made had caused too much blood loss, and Sarah only had a few moments left. Monferno knew that. Sarah knew that.

“Uhm… I… I’ll tell them. Don’t worry.” Monferno said, wiping away the tears.

“Thank… thank you. I’m gonna miss all of you.” she smiled.

Monferno stopped trying to hold back tears, as it was useless. He was bawling, as Sarah still petted its cheek.

“We ugh… we’ll miss you too.” he cried.

“I still remember… -“ she attempted to speak. “When Jason… came home with a little baby Chimchar.” she smiled softly, and Monferno smiled back.

“It’s already been six years.” he sobbed.

“I’m sorry Monferno… for trying… to make Jason get rid of you… I didn’t think… he was ready for a Pokemon.” she started crying too.

“You were looking out for him. It was all you could have done.”

“I… I hope you manage… to find your family soon.” she murmured. “I know… it’s harder… but if this whole… situation… ever ends… you and my dear son will become… great trainers… and be recognised in the championship…”.

“Yeah… you changed your mind right away when Jason told you I was lost.” he smiled. “And… and you suggested that we join the regionals… to see if my family recognised me.”

“That’s still… what I’m hoping for. I… love you all. ” she closed her eyes, and showed a final, peaceful smile.

Monferno looked at her face, and started crying even harder. She was gone. Monferno lifted her body over his shoulder, and walked away speechless. The other survivors followed him.

“We should find the others.” a short, blonde man said.

“You go. I… have something to finish.” Monferno responded, as they split up.

The three survivors walked towards the other side of the floor, to find Luxray, Johanna and the other two survivors. They passed a few rotting corpses on the floor, but there was no sign of there being any zombies left.

“They should be around here.” said Erin, a tall, red-haired woman.

“Doesn’t seem that they’re in danger. There are no more… of those creatures.” Marc replied, a Chinese young adult.

“They’re probably just looking around too.” Erin replied back.

The group walked for some more moments. In a room, they noticed an unusually different dead body from the zombie corpses they had just seen. It was still human-like. There was a pool of blood dripping under it, but apart from that, it was normal. It wasn’t rotting, it didn’t smell and it wasn’t walking around, jumping at people and Pokemon for their brains.

“Is that… Stefan?” Erin asked, though she knew what the answer was.

Stefan was one of the doctors that had been separated with Luxray and Johanna. He was a tall, rather young man. He was specialised in neurosurgery, and knew everyone in the hospital for a long time.

“He’s… he’s holding a picture of his family.” noticed Charlotte, a young, blonde woman with glasses.

“Well… he’s in a better place now, that’s for sure.” Erin murmured.

Neither of them said anything for a few moments. They’d seen dead bodies before, lots of them. But they never expected to find one of their own dead, slowly turning into a zombie. Their expressions were horrified.

“We should keep moving.” Marc said, as he continued walking, looking down.

Erin and Charlotte followed him, into the south hall. They passed some grey curtains, and found themselves in a long, dark hallway, with no end in sight.

“It takes one, just ONE global disaster, to make me realise how tiny we actually are. I never noticed how long this hallway was, and I passed it everyday.” Erin mentioned to Marc and Charlotte.

“Me too. I never thought of it… but what if those… things out there, are actually what we are meant to be?” Charlotte said with a broken voice.

“What do you mean?”

“Well… who knows if God actually made us like this. Maybe we just… evolved to become like this. Maybe we used to be like… those things. Thousands of years ago.” she replied.

“Don’t think like that.” Erin replied. “If there is a God out there, he would never make us… as horrible as those things.”

“And yet, we do things that could be considered even worse.” Marc stated. “Human beings can be just as evil as whatever those things are.”

Both Charlotte and Erin nodded at Marc’s statement.

“There are so many bad things we’ve done. I guess the human-kind can be compared to those creatures. They eat, and eat, and eat, and they still want more. We… kill, take things from people… we do horrible things… and still want more.” he frowned.

“Pokemon are a lot more peaceful, aren’t they? No matter if you’re poor, rich, sad, happy, ugly or pretty. They love you for who you are. We’ve still got a long way to go to become… decent creatures.” Charlotte replied.

Just then, at the end of the hallway they heard some faint voices. One gravelly voice that told them to be quiet, while a feminine voice agreed. The noise of their slow footsteps echoed through the hallway.

“Who’s there?” Erin said loudly, as she grabbed a poke ball on her waist.

“Erin! Thank God you’re okay!” Johanna answered.

As they reunited, some grunts came from the rooms on the side of the hallway. Three zombies smashed the door from a bathroom open, and started walking towards the survivors. Erin sent out her Dusclops, while Marc sent out his Porygon. Luxray also stepped forward to help fight back.

“Okay, here’s the plan.” Erin started. “Marc and I can take care of this, since you three don’t have Pokemon. And Luxray can help. If you go from the door to our left, you’re good to go as there are no more zombies, from what we know. Leave this place now, we’ll catch up to you. Go.” she stated.

“We can’t leave you behind!” Richard, the old man that was with Johanna and Luxray replied.

“It’s too risky. Run now, we’ll finish these ones off. There’s only three of them! Now go!” she yelled.

“Good luck.” Charlotte said, as she pulled Richard with her.

“Luxray, I can’t leave you. Not again.” Johanna said as she approached Luxray.

“No, I don’t want to put you at risk. Go meet my friends from before, Monferno and Sarah. I’ll be there!” he firmly said.

Johanna started walking away slowly, looking at Luxray. Luxray smiled to her, and she left.

“Ok, Dusclops and Porygon, you ready?” he asked.

The two other Pokemon nodded.

“Ok, Porygon, use Hyper Beam!” Marc yelled.

“Dusclops, try Shadow Punch!” Erin commanded.

Porygon launched an orange, sparkling beam which turned to dust one of the zombies. It also created a huge hole in the room behind the zombies. Dusclops launched a punch, which knocked back the zombie to the right. Luxray also helped and used his thunder attack, which destroyed the second zombie. However, soon after that, more grunts could be heard coming in their direction. A few zombies came from the hole made in the wall to one of the operation rooms.

“Damn it. Must have been the hyper beam!” Luxray muttered. “Alright, this will not be easy. But if we want to get out of here alive…” he continued, as he used his thunder attack again to kill a few zombies that were grouped together.

The three Pokemon, together with Erin and Marc fought back. However, the zombies were still coming closer to them.

“Dusclops, Shadow Punch! Knock them away from us!” Erin yelled.

Dusclops extended his arm and punched a zombie back. However, the zombie managed to hold on to Dusclops and bite its hand, just before Dusclops could pull away.

“Aghhh! IT GOT ME!” Dusclops yelled out, as they all stared at him.

“Damn it! Porygon, we have to keep fighting!” Luxray told him.

“Yes.” he nodded.

“Erin…” Marc said approaching her. “Porygon, help Luxray in any way! We’ll take care of Dusclops!”.

Erin and Marc helped Dusclops get behind Luxray and Porygon, while these two killed more zombies.

“I guess… this is it.” Dusclops said to Erin, who was in tears.

“It can’t… end like this.” she said back to him. “Tell me… you got bit by… a fighting type… or a normal type…”

“Unfortunately not… It won’t… I’ll do my part to help Luxray and Porygon… I’ve still got some time…”

Dusclops stood up, without Erin trying to stop her. She knew this was what Dusclops wanted. If he was going out, he was going out with a blast.

“Alright… let’s finish this. I’ve got little hope left… so let’s just get this over with!” Dusclops said to Luxray and Porygon. Both of them just looked at him with pity, but they knew there was nothing they could say to change his mind.

While Luxray, Porygon and Dusclops fought the last groups of zombies coming at them, Marc was just talking to the red-haired woman, to try and make her feel better.

“How… how you feeling?”

“Horrible. I’ve… known Dusclops for over ten years. He helped me so much in so many different situations. I just wish it didn’t have to end like this.” she sobbed.

Eventually, the Pokemon destroyed all the remaining zombies. The room was covered in corpses. The walls were red now. Everyone was tired. Emotionally tired. Losing Stefan and Dusclops wrecked them, as they were all friends. However, Dusclops was still there.

“We have to get going. He’s going to turn.” Luxray whispered to Porygon and Marc, while Erin and Dusclops were having their final moments.

“Calm down! She just lost her best friend!” Marc complained.

“I lost my best friend too! Moving on is the best solution!” he argued back.

“Not everyone is as heartless Luxray! Give her some time!”

Luxray and Marc were looking at each other intensely, until Porygon broke up their fight. Meanwhile, Erin and Dusclops were both sitting down looking at the floor.

“Any… last wishes?” she asked.

“Actually… don’t let… that happen to me.” he said.

“What do you mean?”

“I… I don’t want to become… one of those things.”

Erin didn’t reply for twenty seconds. She knew what he wanted, but didn’t know what to say.

“I… I can’t… kill you.” she said.

“How about… one of them..?” he asked.

Erin stood up, and walked away crying. Porygon approached Dusclops, while Marc went after Erin. Luxray stayed where he previously was.

“What happened?” Porygon asked Dusclops.

“I told her… I didn’t want to become one of those things… asked her to kill me.” he sobbed.

“What next?”

“She… couldn’t.”

“Hey, what’s wrong?!” Marc asked.

“He… he asked me to finish him… I can’t. But I can’t let him turn…” she replied.

“Well… I can do it. If that’s okay.” Marc offered.

Erin looked at Marc reluctantly.

“You don’t have to do this.”

“I don’t want to see Dusclops turn either. I can help you and him.”

Tears ran down Erin’s face, who hugged Marc. They walked back to where Luxray, Dusclops and Porygon were. They noticed Dusclops on the floor, Porygon and Luxray surrounding it. Dusclop was looking very weak. His body looked like it was breaking open. Erin kneeled by Dusclops.

“Marc… will let your final wish come true.” she whispered.

Dusclops showed a faint smile. He slowly stood up and walked over to a wall. He sat down, and nodded. Erin looked away in tears, while Marc approached him with Porygon. Luxray stood where he was.

“Ok… Porygon, we need to do this to help a friend.” he whispered to his Pokemon, who nodded back. “Well… good bye Dusclops. Use Zap Cannon.”

Porygon charged a cannon of electricity, and shot it right at Dusclops. A loud grunt was heard through the hallway. Its echo continued for a few moments. Erin’s sobs also echoed.

“Porygon… again.” Marc said, with tears running down his face.

Once again, Porygon fired an electric sphere at Dusclops. This time, Dusclops didn’t answer. He didn’t move either. Marc called back Porygon to his poke ball, and walked to Erin.

“He’s… in a better place.” he said.

Erin nodded.

“We have to get going.” Luxray stated by the exit door.

They all followed Luxray out of the hospital. Nobody dared to say a word. They had all witnessed more than they should have.

Once they exited the building, the hospital seemed like a complete different way. Though the lights were still on, it felt empty. Lifeless. There were no zombie around anymore. They were all on the floor inside, dead. They walked over to the silver BMW that Jason, Clara and Larvitar had been told by Sarah to wait. From where Luxray was looking however, they couldn’t see anybody. As they approached the car carefully, they heard sobs. They saw Clara on her knees crying, with Jason comforting her. Monferno had a big frown on his face. Next to them were Johanna, Charlotte and Richard. Luxray looked down, and noticed a body on the floor. His eyes widened.

“What… what happened?” Luxray could barely talk.

“She… The same… that happens to everyone.” Monferno replied quietly.

Sarah’s body was on the floor. She still hadn’t turned, but she was starting to. Her skin was starting to rot, and her body had dry blood all over its exposed skin. The infection in her body was very apparent.

“She… she deserves a better good bye. An actual funeral.” Jason stated.

“She does. We’ll do it in some terrain near.” Monferno replied.

Everyone agreed, and they went near the hospital to a grassy area. There were beautiful flowers of every color, and a lot of nature all around. They picked a spot just under a huge, old tree, on its shadow. Monferno and Luxray helped dig a grave, and they laid down the body carefully in it.

“How are we going to… lock her in here?” Monferno asked Jason.

“What are you talking about?”

“She’s going to turn Jason. Unless we do something about it, she might come out of the grave and come back to kill people.” he whispered to him.

“No way. We’re not doing anything to her. She already suffered enough.” he stated firmly.

“But Jason, she’ll… come back.”

“Well… maybe she won’t. She’ll be the odd case and stay in her grave peacefully.” he said.

Monferno knew he shouldn’t be arguing with Jason about this, so he just nodded and filled the grave back up. Clara was saying nothing. She had a huge frown on her face, and was just on her knees looking at her mother for the last time.

“Listen Clara. Don’t worry, I’ll always be there for you.” Jason said as he hugged his little sister, who just cried on his shoulder.

Once Monferno and Luxray were finished filling up the grave, they all stood around it. Jason, Clara, Monferno, Luxray, Johanna, Charlotte, Richard, Erin and Marc. None of them said a word, and they all mourned another loss.

End of chapter 4​