• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon B/W boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
It is quite dissapointing & sad to say boring..But I think we're all just growing up. Pokémon may not be getting boring but we're just growing up, ya know? :// I agree but we're just growing up nothing we can do to change that...Besides not everyone worldwide will like Pokémon B/W. Every Gen has it's 'mehhhh' Pokémon. ~Nya :33

I think this is my main reason as much as I hate to say it. I mean its a good game...but it won't be the classics. Just like with any franchise, sonic, Mario, Zelda they all have their classic fans and i'm just one of them.

It's really just sad to see that the era of pokemon that I grew up with is now gone and won't ever return. My childhood is basically dead now...that's why i'm compelled to make a lets play of blue to show this new generation just exactly what it was like for us kids back in the day. Just letting them really get to see in depth what the first chapter of pokemon was.

I feel like I should be saying you kids and your generation 5's and your fusion pokemanz and your enhanced graphics and your story lines;..

bankaibahamut

Casual Trainer
Yeah, White is really boring... That's why I have 500+ hours into it...

Ansem1013

4768-7457-8661
IMO that "new beginning" thing was a bad idea. Or at least a poorly executed one. Okay, you've got a bunch of new Pokemon, problem is that many of them strongly resemble past gen Pokemon to the point where one might consider them clones. It really defeats the purpose if the new Pokemon aren't very original.

This happens every generation though . . .

So I've put about 5 hours so far into Pokemon White, and I hate to say it, but I think I find it a little boring... the designs for all the Pokemon at their basic stages seem too cutesy and it almost feels like a chore to go through every gym leader... am I doing something wrong? :/
I will say that things for me did start a bit slowly at first but right after seeing that Team Plasma banner for a certain someone
eA08r.gif
I was certainly more interested to see what would happen next (Though I guess it's mostly because I wasn't expecting something as flashy as that banner).

I will admit the gyms could have been a bit more interesting, but that's debatable, some will like and some wont. As for the pokemon being too cute in the beginning.....what little monster aren't "cute" when you're starting on adventure? Just like real life things get bigger and more intimidating as time goes on.

I think the point is that there's always old gen Pokemon and that Gen 5 was/is to be an actual new start with it's own set of Pokemon to really make it feel like a new fresh adventure that you would have to learn about.

Man...I gotta say...I agree...B/W so far has been the worst gen for me...I mean its good graphics wise but...I just feel like theirs something wrong with it...I started playing Pokemon when it first came out back in 1998. I was 7 back then. And i'll admit. The games just don't have that charm that they had way back then. I tried really hard to play BW2 and...I just couldn't go through it. I made it to the 7th gym and just gave up.
I kind of agree/disagree here, Gen 5 (Black/White) have as much charm if not more than Gen 1, though if only because there was much more than "Being the best, fight rival, 8 badges, beat the league" I felt that towards the end there was something bigger than that only for a nice little plot twist to make things better. Though B/W's post game was very lacking. And giving up at the 7th gym? Had I done something like that for previous generations I would be missing out like you're about to/already did.

People are going to tell me its because i'm old but I really don't think age matters. I'm still a really big fan of pokemon, and I've been really trying to stay into it, I own almost every game and I'm getting back into cards and trying -and failing- at competitive battling...but...after 3rd gen...it just started going down.
I don't think age matters either, Gen 3 didn't have much for me personally though there was a good amount of fun moments and plenty of exploring (dat reggie puzzle which I never got to solve since my copy of ruby went missing).

I don't feel the pokemon have that charm anymore that they did back then. I don't know how to explain it I guess I just don't feel the love, emotion, and personality in these pokemon as I do the old ones.
m7OSr.png

And this is where we draw the line....no love? Emotion? or personality? Bianca, while not the greatest fighter, relates with many people more than I've seen in a simple RPG. She's not perfect, and soon realizes just how tough the world is yet encounters someone as strong as you in order to really grow up and toughen herself up. And in the B2/W2 she's even an assistant for Juniper and truly realizing that there's something in the world that she can do. No love and emotion? Absolutely not! As for the love and emotion for the old games...they were simply fun...not much else, for me at least and I've been in this since I was 8. I didn't put too much thought or anything else, but still, even while growing up even since then I just wanted more than mindless fun, sometimes you need more than simplicity.

The music isn't even as good as the old ones. Some of its good but... it'll NEVER beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5TVp1wSTU IMO. That song just SCREAMS epic battle.
While Blue/Green's champion music is nice, as are the several official remixes of it, there ARE other songs in the Pokemon series that are just as epic/intense if not more especially when with the situations that accommodate them.

Being this and this, though that second link is a spoiler since you haven't beaten the game yet...unless you actually have by now.

I also, yes I liked the story in BW / BW2 but...I liked the simplicity of the first games. You were a 10 year old boy that was out to become a pokemon master and just happened to take down an evil origination, beat his rival and become the champion all the while catching all 151 -or more depending if your playing G/S/C- pokemon.
While simplicity isn't a bad thing, you're kind of forgetting that the pokemon games, main ones/some spin offs, are RPGs/Role Playing games, and their staple is usually to throw some twists and turns. Also I've always disliked the whole "catch them all" gimmick which exactly is as it is. Though at least for B2/W2 you get actual rewards for filling a large amount or more of the Pokedex though even then only people who really want to use said rewards will go for them, I'm here for the overall experience. We've been battling and became the champion since day 1 and I loved how B/W broke that mold with something slightly different.

It was almost kinda annoying to have all these characters constantly talking to me, and before and after each gym I had to fight Rival of the week. It felt like they were shoving the side characters down our throats and saying "like them!" Its not that I don't like the characters I do its just...to much. I don't play pokemon for story I play it for gameplay. And because the rivals shown up so much it took away from the epicness they are supposed to be.
They did show up a bit too much, though now in Hugh's case, you fought him as much as you fought Silver...which is too few times :U

Every time Green shown up you knew "ohh its on". Or every time Silver shown up it was "lets see how much stronger you've gotten". They were tense, exciting, it was fun to blow your rival away. Here it just became repetitive fast.
Not for me, I personally found both of them to be Jerk/bullies, not really Rivals, Green was a pushover and I always won every fight against him with ease, Silver was a bit different (especially his 2nd fight if you weren't ready).

The last thing I gotta say that I do feel like this game babied you a lot. Not as bad as it did in FR/LG where your first rival battle, that was supposed to be your epic first battle mind you, kept getting interrupted by oak's tutorial. It wasn't that bad but...It really catered to new players. You don't know how many times I was mashing A saying "yah I get it." I didn't do that in the first 2 gens. I learned as a played. All games nowadays feel like they baby you along.
That's more or less the developers being silly and not having the obvious skip option for veteran players. As for the rest I'm currently playing White 2 on challenge mode and it's really giving me a run for my money.

Yah that's basically why I didn't like gen 5. It just was boring and I didn't really like the pokemon or the region as a whole. When I stopped playing my black 2 I actually started playing blue version again. I'm not trying to bash this game I understand people have different tasted in games, and there are always new players each gen. Like I said before I've REALLY been trying to like the new generations. I really have been. I always get excited when a new pokemon game is coming out. This is just how I feel, its my own opinion.

I'll see ya later guys, i'll met you all in the past. -turns on game boy and goes to fight green again-
Personally I think you should actually complete it before jumping ship, it would at least give you more ground for your thoughts, while personally being a veteran player myself, I've done 2 playthroughs of each game, 1 on black and white, and another on white 2 (Both normal and challenge mode).

I think this is my main reason as much as I hate to say it. I mean its a good game...but it won't be the classics. Just like with any franchise, sonic, Mario, Zelda they all have their classic fans and i'm just one of them.
Oh I know some of these fans and while some are nice and reasonable, a lot of them are just downright disgusting with their attitudes towards other players/games.

It's really just sad to see that the era of pokemon that I grew up with is now gone and won't ever return. My childhood is basically dead now...that's why i'm compelled to make a lets play of blue to show this new generation just exactly what it was like for us kids back in the day. Just letting them really get to see in depth what the first chapter of pokemon was.

I feel like I should be saying you kids and your generation 5's and your fusion pokemanz and your enhanced graphics and your story lines;..
What part of your childhood is dead exactly? What part of Pokemon has truly change? It's literally the same game with depth, maybe I'm just blind, maybe I'm not as fluent or detailed as most people, but I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Is it just the simplicity of escaping certain parts of life to see one simple thing to forget about it? What am I not seeing that you and most other people are considering "dead"? Also if you're gonna make that LP, do it, but finish the game that you didn't finish if you're going to bring it up during your LP, so that you at least have an actual basis for any argument/discussion that you make.

Last edited:

Unredemption

GameFreak's got it pretty tough since they've to strike a fine balance. If they keep it too similar to past generations, it'll tend to get dry and formulaic since what you're playing isn't very far off from the past dozen games. If they shake things up too much, many long-time fans who grew up with Pokemon won't be very happy. Then of course, they've got to keep up with the current gaming scene - RBY were definitely revolutionary back in the 1990s, but things have changed since then and there needs to be a greater selling point, especially to win over new fans / kids.

Interestingly, I went back to play Blue right after I finished my run of White 2 (normal difficulty), and I daresay White 2 presented a tougher challenge overall especially towards the end. For Blue, on the other hand, level differences don't matter as much as type matchups - you definitely would have a harder time beating the BW/BW2 Elite Four being 10 levels lower than them, as compared to in RBY. Not to mention that the Pokemon of RBY NPCs have horrible movesets for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up with RBYGSC and they're definitely an awesome part of my childhood. Though for me, the series has come a long way and mostly for the better.

Fabulous Ampharos

Pokemon Breeder :3
GameFreak's got it pretty tough since they've to strike a fine balance. If they keep it too similar to past generations, it'll tend to get dry and formulaic since what you're playing isn't very far off from the past dozen games. If they shake things up too much, many long-time fans who grew up with Pokemon won't be very happy. Then of course, they've got to keep up with the current gaming scene - RBY were definitely revolutionary back in the 1990s, but things have changed since then and there needs to be a greater selling point, especially to win over new fans / kids.

Interestingly, I went back to play Blue right after I finished my run of White 2 (normal difficulty), and I daresay White 2 presented a tougher challenge overall especially towards the end. For Blue, on the other hand, level differences don't matter as much as type matchups - you definitely would have a harder time beating the BW/BW2 Elite Four being 10 levels lower than them, as compared to in RBY. Not to mention that the Pokemon of RBY NPCs have horrible movesets for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up with RBYGSC and they're definitely an awesome part of my childhood. Though for me, the series has come a long way and mostly for the better.

^THIS.
B and W was not boring for the fact that if you were underleveled, it was challenging. As he said in RBY, and you could also in GSC, you could beat the E4 like 30 levels under them. Not just 10. Black and White, you feel a challenge underleveled.

Flamer

Story wise, I think B/W was very entertaining. Pretty much the first Pokemon games where I've played on to see what happens to the characters, as oppose to capture a legendary, defeat the Elite 4 etc. The idea of 'starting fresh' with only the 150 new Pokemon to be found until the post-game was a nice. I got very wedded to my favorite Pokemon in Gen 4 making my teams a little samey, particularly in Pearl and Platinum, so it was good to have things shaken up a bit. Had the potential to go seriously wrong if the Pokemon designs weren't up to much, but luckily they were and whilst I haven't filled much of it, the Unova dex is pretty enjoyable to be completing.

The big problem is there just doesn't seem to be all that much to do post-game that hasn't been done before. Battle Subway is pretty much Battle Tower in disguise and there's no Battle Frontier of any description. There's also nothing to keep you entertained over a large number of short bursts, which is how I tend to play now. SoulSilver had the game corner game with the Voltorb and the Pokeathlon, before that the PokeRadar in Pearl. Maybe I haven't found it yet, but there doesn't seem to be anything that really catches my attention in White. Hunting for the Mages is a good way to stretch the game out without really adding anything, but I find Unova a bit of a trek to get around. Don't get me wrong, it looks lovelly and there are some very cool areas, but the rather linear layout of the routes and towns isn't really to my taste. Plus there's not enough areas to go exploring in.

As someone said earlier in the thread, maybe its just the fact I'm getting older. I no longer have hours and hours to sink into the game filling my dex, shiny hunting, online trading etc so haven't really immersed myself into the world of Pokemon White in the same way I did with previous games. I think the fact I haven't even bothered defeating the Elite 4 probably says a great deal about how much I enjoyed the game, although whether this is down to the game being boring or me getting bored of the game is difficult to say...

McNugget

The Bassist
White 2 is way better but if you HAVE to stick to white, I'd really try to get into the story/world, and gen 5 requires a lot of optional exploring to get the fullest out of it. Each route has small things to do!

Sealotic

Boring ? Hell no ! I was all excited at each battle because of the new game play hu !
I found the gym leaders and those battle cool, as always and Bianca made me laugh a bunch of time.

I won't say that a pokemon game is boring, ohhh no.

Vaprrenon

I've only got about 50ish hours logged for White, and I still have mixed feelings about the game. I love the characters and storyline....but the pokemon designs I find lackluster for the most part.

I mean, yeah, I played Red and Blue when I was a kid....but after that the next pokemon game I played was SoulSilver (~500 hours thus far), so I'm pretty sure it's not the whole "you just need to get used to having a new gen around" thing that some other folks my age have to blame for their distaste in the game. I had to "get used to" a slew of new pokemon when I made the jump from 1st to 4th gen and, while I certainly didn't like all of the 'new' designs I encountered in SoulSilver, I still prefer 1-4 gen pokemon to 5th's (again, for the most part--some I really like but they're far and few between).

I really don't feel the need to get Black or White 2, though...I've always played pokemon for, well, the pokemon, and I already have access to 5th gen so...why get a new game just to recapture the same generation? I'm hoping that X and Y have designs that are more to my liking because I like what I've seen of the teasers for the game so far.

Last edited:

Chaos Rush

idgaf what anyone thinks, B/W is my favorite Pokemon game. I remember how awesome it was when I had my first Gen V battle... "HOLY SHEEYHET IT'S IN 60 FPS" and the whole game felt actually NEW. I think a lot of you guys didn't enjoy it because you guys spoiled yourselves on the internet from the Japanese release. Luckily during that time, I disabled viewing avatars and signatures, so I had no idea what any of the Gen V Pokemon looked like until I got Pokemon White, and I had absolutely no knowledge of the events that occur on your first challenge of the Elite Four. Black/White was very epic and awesome, and addressed all the problems I had with Gen IV. I can't even play Gen IV anymore, because I liked Gen V that much better. Also in my opinion, this game had many "EPICLOL" moments. For me, the EPICLOL moments was:
*when Cress sent out his Panpour and ZOMG MUSIC CHANGES TO CLASSIC POKEMON THEME and I'm like "HOLY SHEEEYHET EPIC"
*when you first battle a Team Plasma Grunt and you see all this flashy lightning and crazy battle music
*that dude in Nacrene City playing the accordion
*SKYARROW BRIDGE OMG
*CASTELIA CITY OMG
*when you see a Sigilyph for the first time and think "WHAT THE PHUCK IS THAT I WANT ONE"
*when you reach the top floor of Dragonspiral Tower and you see N standing before Reshiram (I have White version)
*beat the Elite Four, and you feel kinda strange that you haven't encountered the boxart legendary yet...
*right when you think you're about to battle Alder, then you see N and I"m like "HOLY SHEEEYHET GTFO"
*the cutscene when N summons his castle "HOLY SHEEYHET THIS NEVER HAPPENED IN A POKEMON GAME BEFORE"
*the music in N's castle is just pure awesome
*YOU FINALLY SEE THE BOXART LEGENDARY (for me that was Zekrom)
*the final battle with N is just pure epicness because:
**first of all, I never expected him to actually use his Reshiram in battle. So when I saw "N sent out Reshiram!" I"m like "HOLY SHEEYHET YOU'RE KIDDING"
**but to add to that epicness, right after I saw "Go! Zekrom!" and I'm like "HOLY SHEEYHET IT'S LITERALLY RESHIRAM VS ZEKROM"
**N's final battle music is very creatively designed. I like how it starts out almost exactly the same as his normal battle music, tricking you into thinking nothing has changed, but then as the music goes on you notice that it's more intense, and then you hear the organ riff and it's just epic...

As you can see, out of any Pokemon game that I have played, I enjoyed White the most during my first playthrough of it. I enjoyed it so much that I actually restarted to try all the starters and such. Only problem I have with it is the low levels pre-E4, but B2/W2 addressed that nicely. However, B2/W2 didn't feel as "epic" as B/W, but it was still nice.

Irving

I got White 2 before I got Black and in White 2 I found it to be really fun and completed it as fast as I could and am now enjoying the post game. In Black I am struggling to even reach the elite 4 simply because I don't find the game as enjoyable. I guess that's a mistake on my part though.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Not to the same degree as 5th gen, at least half the new Pokemon resemble older ones in some way, and some are just outright clones. Which really cheapens the whole "fresh start" feel that BW1 was striving for. Who cares that you don't see Zubat and Geodude in every cave when Woobat and Roggenrola take their place? I felt like many of the Pokemon needed to be a lot more unique for the idea to work.

I guess it's really the lack of exploration and puzzles in many areas.

I miss traversing long winded paths only to get to a dead end and then I have to head a long way back to the fork like Rock Tunnel;
Or raiding villainous headquarters filled with rooms, floors, buttons, and warps like Silph Co./Celadon Game Corner;

I know BW2 had puzzling areas like the Castelia Sewers and Route 23, but there could've been more.

This is another reason I hated BW, the regional design was too simplistic. Pokemon games need to have a sense of adventure, and there's no adventure in taking what is basically one long road from start to finish with barely any optional paths or alternate routes to get there. I want to be able to have plenty of options for exploring the region. I want areas that have plenty of twists and turns in them. I want areas with depth to them. BW doesn't really do any of that for me.

Bigmiga80

I like the game but i think unova is quite small and have short things to do after completing the game :(

shytende

That's strange...
I felt this way about Generation IV,
but Generation V restored my love in Pokemon.
There have some balance issue between the main game and the post game, because the game is too short,
but N is an awesome character, and the ending was really epic.

So, an incomplete game, probably, but still a great one.

And, BW2 corrected all these issues.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
That's strange...
I felt this way about Generation IV,
but Generation V restored my love in Pokemon.
There have some balance issue between the main game and the post game, because the game is too short,
but N is an awesome character, and the ending was really epic.

So, an incomplete game, probably, but still a great one.

And, BW2 corrected all these issues.

What exactly do you think BW2 "corrected"? Because I'm not really seeing it, most of the major issues that BW1 had were virtually untouched in BW2. The region is still kind of short in BW2, aside from the stretch from Lentimas to Opelucid everything is still as small and clustered as ever with the 2nd through the 6th gyms all being one measly city apart, the only significant difference in terms of length is that BW2 has many more post game areas than BW1, which isn't really much help. BW2 didn't really correct anything, it added on some bells and whistles to BW1 but still shares many of the same issues BW1 had, and adds a few of its own as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.