• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon BDSP - Recent Happenings Thread

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I managed to catch two FEMALE Combee via Honey Trees yesterday. The insane part is I didn’t have to reset to get them. Also got two Aipom (one of each gender) this way along with a Burmy (which I bred to get all the forms and evolutions), Wurmple (which became a Cascoon), and Silcoon. Only one I am still missing is Heracross as I got Munchlax in the Grand Underground.
Lucky you...I encountered a Munchlax exactly once in the Grand Underground, and it used Self-Destruct.

AmpharosFanatic

First post here since apparently 2012 but I was too excited not to lol. I'm 47 or so hours in, beat the Elite 4 a couple days back with a 5 pokemon team just because those were the only ones I felt like using pre-national dex. It's well known but the Elite 4 and especially Cynthia are far stronger than any other battle leading up to them. I actually had to soft reset against Cynthia once to win. But the reason I'm posting is I just finished my first successful shiny hunt via pokeradar in brilliant diamond and got 3 shiny Shellos at Valley Windworks. My chain was actually still alive too but I ran out of repels before I got another one but oh well. 3 is more than I expected!

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Arrived at Sunyshore City where I was immediately approached by Flint to help give a bit of inspiration to the local Gym Leader. Did a bit of checking of the Honey Trees I put Honey though the only notable Pokemon I got was a Wurmple to hopefully get a Silcoon. Going to be tackling the Gym next, looks like Clefable will be sticking on my team for the long haul since it was part of my team for the final fights against Team Galactic.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Lucky you...I encountered a Munchlax exactly once in the Grand Underground, and it used Self-Destruct.
I keep hearing how people keep running into Self-Destruct Munchlax but I had one that knew After You, Last Resort, Flail, and Belly Drum. Pretty much a horrible move set with only Belly Drum being the sole usable attack.

Picnicker

I defeated Candice, my character, and got my seventh badge. Surfed and climbed on a few previous locations after that and finally used a Dark Stone on my Misdreavus, who evolved into a Mismagius. Current team: Infernape, Pachirisu, Gastrodon, Mismagius and Chimecho.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I keep hearing how people keep running into Self-Destruct Munchlax but I had one that knew After You, Last Resort, Flail, and Belly Drum. Pretty much a horrible move set with only Belly Drum being the sole usable attack.
Flail can actually be strong, one guy on youtube did a Feebass video (not nuzlocke) and Flail worked through most of Pokemon Emerald challenge but he always needed to be a really high level. But being a Normal move it isn't advantageous against any element and you need to be on low health.

Anyways Self-Destruct is similar to Lapras and Politoed having Perish Song in Ultra Sun/Moon S.O.S after several minutes. Nothing can block them from casting it and even your pokemon has Soundproof the enemy pokemon will still be at the risk of fainting.
I only learned recently that only one move is capable of preventing Perish Song is by outspeeding the enemy and use Throat Chop. But if you didn't have Incineroar then you need to pray that your pokeballs catch it quickly.

But i was impatient with catching those 2, months before i knew about Throat Chop so i traded for Politoed and Lapras.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
So I'm doing my Water-type only run. Additional rules being 4th gen only and, not to overlevel the following gymleaders ace and match their squad in numbers.

Currently my squad is the following, all at level 29:
- Antarc the Prinplup
- Hudson II the Bibarel*
- Yakuta the Floatzel
- Amazón the Finneon
- Galera the East Sea Shellos

My squad is named after a river, bay, sea or ocean the species the pokémon in based on can be found on earth, limiting the nicknames to 6 characters.
- Pinguins on Antarctica and the surrounding ocean
- Beavers were hunted and traded at the Hudson Bay-area.
- I consider Buizel a sea otter, which can be found all along the North American Western Coast, so I picked a bay where a fort was built by the Russians where they traded sea otter pelts (Yakutat Bay).
- Neon Tetra's can be found in the amazon
- The type of sea slug Shellos is based on can be found in the waters of Puerto Galera (Philippines)(note the Eastern Hemisphere).

At this point, I only need to catch Mantyke.

Currently, I was debating which gym leader is best to beat first: Wake or Maylene. I've decided on Wake. As a precaution for overlevelling for Maylene, my squad is at level29, one level below cap, but I'm certain that with good strategy I'm able to beat his team. Then the cap will increase to 30 and that gives me Gastrodon for Maylene.

Afterwards it will be pretty straightforward. My Bibarel is a coremember and it does massive damage whenever it gets to set up. I'm constantly changing its coverage moves to fit the battle (ShockWave for Wake, Pluck for Gardenia, Maylene), while sometimes I decide to just to Rollout after my Prinplup sets up a Charm. The idea is to add Bulldoze for Byron and Volkner.

*I used a Simple Bidoof initially called Hudson, but once I got to to the Grand Underground I realized that those pokémon could have Egg Moves, so I caught another Simple Bidoof, but one that had Quick Attack so it can have a niche of being a SimpleSwordsDanceQuickAttacker. Hence why I tagged it as the 'II' here.

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

So I'm doing my Water-type only run. Additional rules being 4th gen only and, not to overlevel the following gymleaders ace and match their squad in numbers.

Currently my squad is the following, all at level 29:
- Antarc the Prinplup
- Hudson II the Bibarel*
- Yakuta the Floatzel
- Amazón the Finneon
- Galera the East Sea Shellos

My squad is named after a river, bay, sea or ocean the species the pokémon in based on can be found on earth, limiting the nicknames to 6 characters.
- Pinguins on Antarctica and the surrounding ocean
- Beavers were hunted and traded at the Hudson Bay-area.
- I consider Buizel a sea otter, which can be found all along the North American Western Coast, so I picked a bay where a fort was built by the Russians where they traded sea otter pelts (Yakutat Bay).
- Neon Tetra's can be found in the amazon
- The type of sea slug Shellos is based on can be found in the waters of Puerto Galera (Philippines)(note the Eastern Hemisphere).

At this point, I only need to catch Mantyke.

Currently, I was debating which gym leader is best to beat first: Wake or Maylene. I've decided on Wake. As a precaution for overlevelling for Maylene, my squad is at level29, one level below cap, but I'm certain that with good strategy I'm able to beat his team. Then the cap will increase to 30 and that gives me Gastrodon for Maylene.

Afterwards it will be pretty straightforward. My Bibarel is a coremember and it does massive damage whenever it gets to set up. I'm constantly changing its coverage moves to fit the battle (ShockWave for Wake, Pluck for Gardenia, Maylene), while sometimes I decide to just to Rollout after my Prinplup sets up a Charm. The idea is to add Bulldoze for Byron and Volkner.

*I used a Simple Bidoof initially called Hudson, but once I got to to the Grand Underground I realized that those pokémon could have Egg Moves, so I caught another Simple Bidoof, but one that had Quick Attack so it can have a niche of being a SimpleSwordsDanceQuickAttacker. Hence why I tagged it as the 'II' here.
Just be careful so you don't get wiped out by Volkner later on. Electric resists water.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Just be careful so you don't get wiped out by Volkner later on. Electric resists water.

I had to do a double take on Gardenia.. but she eventually went down quite easily as well - mostly due to Bidoof (purposefully postponed evolution) wrecking her with a +2 attack and DC+Rollout-combo. Grass resists Water, Electric doesn't - but Electric does nuke most of my team. That's why the Gastrodon is going to be essential and I've got some speedcontrol in the back (RainDance+SwiftSwim) so I can outpace and dish out harder.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
After beating Gardenia, I did a couple of trades before taking on Jupiter. I've got a few items that I've been trying to get, and I was lucky enough to give my team pokerus. Jupiter's Skuntank was a bit of a challenge, but I still had to nerf myself just to make sure my team wasn't over leveled. Finally, after getting the bike and going through the Cycling Road, I finally made it back to Oreburgh City, revived a Cranidos, & gave it an Ability Patch I got through a trade.

I'm taking a break from the game right now partly because I have a few things I need to work on, and partly because I'm trying to figure out what to do with my team. I already planned from the beginning to have a team of 12 pokemon, but I've also been waiting to see what's going to happen with Home connectivity and Legends Arceus before fully deciding on who those 12 would be. For example, I got a Stantler through a trade because I want to transfer it into Legends and evolve it into a Wyrdeer, but we don't know if that'll even be possible or if BDSP will patch in Hisuian forms once Home connectivity comes out. Plus, I wanted to obtain my team of 12 throughout the main story and postgame, but I may have to do it sooner due to the EXP share and the game's level scaling since I don't want to sweep the gym leaders and my team's already around level 20. For now, I may just spend the time getting more items in the Underground, getting more stickers from Jubilife TV, & catching Drifloon on Fridays for trades until I decide what to do from here.

Current Team:
  • Megumi (Monferno)- lv. 19
  • Mirai (Roselia)- lv. 20
  • Kenzo (Manaphy)- lv. 18
  • Charap (Chatot)- lv. 20
  • Taku (Cranidos)- lv. 6

Pending:
  • Kei (Stantler)- lv. 5

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I’ve had to take a pause on playing due to some real life things (some project timelines shifted at the last minute at work, holiday stuff, etc). But I played last night and was able to beat Saturn at Lake Valor and Mars at Lake Verity. I need to restock healing items before setting off for Snowpoint City.

I have spent a lot of my time in the Grand Underground. I really like the different rooms and the opportunities for catching and leveling Pokemon. This also means that my team, unfortunately, is significantly overleveled for this point in the game.

Team:
Goku - Riolu (Lvl. 28)
Fireman Sam(antha) - Infernape (Lvl. 49)
Mantis - Scyther (Lvl. 42)
Shockwave - Luxray (Lvl. 44)
Leonardo - Torterra (Lvl. 40)
Nya - Floatzel (Lvl. 42)

Reserves:
Harvey - Staraptor (Lvl. 40)
Cerberus - Houndoom (Lvl. 38)
Falkor - Altaria (Lvl. 38)
Aquamon - Manaphy (Lvl. 38)
Jean Grey - Gardevoir (Lvl. 36)
Boo - Gengar (Lvl. 37)
Static Shock - Electabuzz (Lvl. 37)
Vegeta - Machamp (Lvl. 33)

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Defeated the Sunyshore Gym Leader earning my final badge for the Sinnoh region. Made my way to the entrance to Victory Road to register it as a Fly waypoint then headed to the Underground to catch a few of the Platinum Dex mons (currently have caught a Swinub and Duskull) along with a Gabite. Going to be trying to catch the Lake Guardians (save Mesprit since talking to it is enough to register it ) next.

Current team:
Infernape (Sun Wukong)
Staraptor (Dagr)
Luxray (Simba)
Manaphy (Neptune)
Gastrodon (Katsuyu)
Clefable (Titania)

Red and Blue

It took two weeks after beating Cynthia but I finally managed to complete the Sinnoh Dex today. I'll probably catch a few more of the Sinnoh Pokemon like Heatran and Giratina but I'm not even going to bother to try and complete the National Dex, lol.

Really excited for the Gym leader rematches

Picnicker

I defeated Team Galactic at the top of Mt. Coronet and currently on the way to Sunyshore City.
Kind of curious to see how Flint and Volkner look like in this game.
I caught Feebas!! Now for evolving it. Too bad I suck at making Poffins.:(
I'm pretty bad too, at making poffins.

Pokefan_1987

I'm not gonna bother with poffins either. The SWITCH thumbsticks just aren't tall enough for me to get a good grip. I'm just gonna import a Milotic instead from Sword/Shield and breed and a Feebas egg.

Damjean

Just defeated Cynthia with my team of mons that i've never used before (except the starter):

-Kricketune
-Lumineon
-Jynx
-Honchkrow
-Electivire
-Torterra

Kricketune with his Sticky Web really helpen against cynthia to hit her mons frist. This is really the hardest battle ever and I really enjoyed it!

The rest of the elite 4 was still pretty easy though

Trillion

my last post in this thread was a few weeks ago, but since then i finally beat cynthia. that was about a week and a half ago

i also ran into and caught a shiny zangoose about three days ago while training my breloom in the grand underground. the icing on the cake is that it has an attack-boosting nature

i never go out of my way for shinies - i feel it's more satisfying to encounter them randomly - so that was a complete surprise. that makes five shines that i own, although two were mystery gift pokemon that were guaranteed to be shiny

1) metagross from omega ruby - mystery gift
2) raticate from let's go pikachu
3) zeraora from sword - mystery gift
4) klefki from sword
5) zangoose from brilliant diamond

Pokefan_1987

my last post in this thread was a few weeks ago, but since then i finally beat Cynthia. that was about a week and a half ago

i also ran into and caught a shiny zangoose about three days ago while training my breloom in the grand underground. the icing on the cake is that it has an attack-boosting nature

i never go out of my way for shinies - i feel it's more satisfying to encounter them randomly - so that was a complete surprise. that makes five shines that i own, although two were mystery gift pokemon that were guaranteed to be shiny

1) metagross from omega ruby - mystery gift
2) raticate from let's go pikachu
3) zeraora from sword - mystery gift
4) klefki from sword
5) zangoose from brilliant diamond
I have at least three pokemon that would be compatible when the home update is released next year.

Shiny Mew
Shiny Aggron (Pokemon Go)
Shiny Absol (It has red instead of black)

Only remaining Shinies that i one that most likely wont be compatible would be my Shiny Incineroar (White and Orange) in Pokemon Sword.