• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon: Beacon of Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very good fic. I almost didn't read it cause I was expecting another Trainer fic or a PMD fic, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I like dragons the most out of any pokemon and Charizard is my favarite pokemon.

Was the Glint/Din relation supposed to be kinda like a Country mouse/city mouse kinda thing? It was funny either way.

If you have a PM list could you please add me to it?

#Chimecho#

Truth[N]Love
(You know your fic is good when I start with a 'wow').

Truly, this is good. I love it.

Agrees!

Add me to the PM list please?

“Anyone at home?” Oh, drat it, what was his name again? Gale- no, Glimp- no, Glint or something like that.”

Again, too many quotations or too little lol!

Anyways.

I really do think you are an excellent writer. You portray the characters so wonderfully. The dialogue flows well. Descriptions is great. An amazing author I must say,

miler567

Ch. 6) Flamethrower

“Well we could have saved ourselves the trouble!” said Dock crossly once they were out in the street again. “We came to this city just so we could find the stuck-up rat, and what does he give us? Oh, stinking Salamence! A map, that’s all. Scribbles on a bit of paper! Huh! I could have found that fiery beacon thing just by following my nose.” She imitated Glint’s voice. “‘So, now we come to my payment.’ I ought to have tied that silly fat oaf to his globe with his own tail.”

“Calm down, will you?” said Jim, pulling the hood up over Dock’s ears before he led the way along the street. “It’s not a bad map. There are some things your nose can’t tell you!”

“You don’t know anything about it,” muttered Dock, plodding crossly after him. “You humans use your noses for nothing but sneezing.”

For a while the two of them walked along in silence.

“When are you going to leave?” Jim said at last.

“As soon as it gets dark,” replied Dock, almost colliding with a fat trainer whose Flareon was sniffing its way along the pavement. The scarlet Pokémon raised its head in surprise when the scent of Ambipom reached its nostrils and tried to give chase before the trainer returned it. Jim quickly drew Dock away and into the nearest alleyway.

“Come on,” he said. “There’s not much going on here. Anyway, we’re nearly back."

“Bricks everywhere. Nothing but bricks!” Dock looked uneasily at the walls of the buildings. “My stomach’s rumbling louder than those machines with their engines. I’ll be glad to be out of here again.”

“It must be really exciting to go on such a long journey,” said Jim.

Dock wrinkled her forehead. “I’d rather have stayed on the dragon island. Much rather.”

“But just think of going to Sinnoh!” It sounded so exciting to Jim that he started walking faster. “And flying on a Charizard’s back! Oh, wow!” He shook his head. “I’d be bursting with excitement! It sounds like a billion adventures all rolled into one!”

Dock gaped at the boy, shaking her head. “Don’t be so dimwitted. What sort of adventures? It sounds to me like cold and hunger. It sounds like danger and fear. We were very well off at home, take my word for it! Rather too much rain, maybe, but it wasn’t that bad. You know something? It’s all because of you humans we’re going on this crazy journey. Because you won’t leave us alone. Because we have to find somewhere your nasty furless noses will never come poking in! Oh, why do I bother telling you all this? You’re one of them yourself. We’re escaping from humans and here I am hanging around with one! Now, that really is crazy!”

Jim did not reply. Instead he hastily shoved Dock into the dark doorway of a building.

“Hey! What’s the big idea?” She looked at the boy, irritated. “Did I say something? We have to cross the street, right? The mansion’s on the other side.”

“Exactly. Can’t you see what’s over there?” whispered Jim.

Dock peered over his shoulder. “Trainers!” she breathed. “Most of them look like Engineers. And they’ve got machinery with them, too.” She groaned.

“You stay here,” Jim told her. “I’ll cross the road and find out what’s up.”

“What?” Dock shook her head vigorously. “No, that’s a terrible idea! I have to warn Wyvern. At once!” And before Jim could stop her she was out in the street. She dodged between honking cars and scuttled over toward the mansion.

Cursing, Jim ran after her.

Luckily there was so much else going on around the mansion that no one noticed the two of them. A couple of men were standing beside a large bulldozer, talking to each other. Jim saw Dock hide behind the big scoop of the bulldozer to eavesdrop. Hastily he ran over to the machinery and crouched down beside her.

“I can’t make out what they’re saying!” Dock whispered. “At least, I can hear them, all right, but I don’t understand what they mean. They keep talking about demolishing something. What’s that mean?”

“Nothing good!” Jim hissed. “Come on, quick!” He pulled Dock to her feet and ran toward the mansion. “We’ve got to find Wyvern. We have to get him out of there somehow. And fast.”

“Hey, you two! What are you up to?” someone called after them.

They swiftly disappeared into the dark shelter of the tall building, but within moments they heard footsteps following them into the mansion. Heavy footsteps. “They went that way!” someone called. “It was a couple of kids!”

“Darn it, how could a thing like this happen?” replied someone else.

Jim and Dock ran through the empty, decrepit mansion basement. Their footsteps echoed down the long corridors, giving them away. But what else could they do? They had to warn the Charizard before anyone discovered him.

“Suppose we’re too late?” gasped Dock. As she ran the hood slipped off her round ears, and quickly she pulled it up again. “Maybe they’ve already found Wyvern. Maybe they’ve already captured him.” She sobbed.

“Nonsense! Hurry up!” Jim took her paw, and they ran on side by side. The footsteps behind them were closing in. Dock’s legs were trembling, but they were almost to Wyvern’s hiding place. Then Jim stopped suddenly, gasping for breath.

“Wait a second- why didn’t I think of it before? We need to lead them away from Wyvern! You go on. Tell him to follow the canal to safety. The two of you must get as far away from this mansion as possible. This whole place is fixing to be a pile of dust.”

“What about you?” panted Dock. “What will you do?”

“I’ll be fine,” Jim managed to say. “Go on, run! You’ve got to warn Wyvern!”

Dock hesitated for a split second, and then turned and bolted. The stairs were quite close now. She hurried around the corner and into the room where she had found Jim. The Charizard was lying asleep by the broken window.

“Wyvern!” Dock jumped between his paws and shook his orange snout. “Wake up, we’ve got to get out of here. Quick!”

The Charizard sleepily raised his head. “What’s the matter? Where’s the human boy?”

“I’ll explain later!” hissed Dock. “Quick, get through the window!”

But Wyvern raised his head to listen to the chaos around him. He rose and went slowly toward the corridor which Dock had just run down. He heard human voices: two deep male voices, and Jim’s as well.

“So what d’you think you’re doing in here?” snapped one of the men.

“Looks like a runaway to me,” said the other man.

“No, I’m not!” cried Jim. “Let me go! I haven’t done anything wrong!”

Looking anxious, the Charizard stretched his neck farther forward.

“Wyvern!” Dock tugged desperately at his flaming tail. “Wyvern, come on! You have to get out of here!”

“But the boy may need help.” The Charizard took another heavy step. The men’s voices grew harsher and Jim’s more and more tentative. “He’s scared,” said Wyvern.

“He’s a HUMAN!” hissed Dock. “And they’re humans, too. They’re not gonna eat him. They won’t capture him, either, but they’ll catch us, make no mistake! So will you please come on?”

But Wyvern wouldn’t move. His tail was lashing at the floor.

“Hey, watch out, he’s trying to escape!” yelled one of the men.

“Use your Magnemite!” shouted the other.

Feet scuffled on the ground and there was the sound of a Pokéball coming open. Wyvern inched a little farther forward.

“Stop or I’ll have my Magnemite use thunder wave!” shouted the man.

“You wouldn’t attack a human with a Pokémon! You’re bluffing!” cried Jim.

Fearing that Jim might try something foolish, like taking on a Pokémon, Wyvern sprang into action. With an unexpected athleticism, he shot across the floor of the mansion. Dock ran after him, cursing under her breath. The human voices grew louder and louder, until the Charizard suddenly saw two men and a Magnemite with their backs to him. Jim was pinned against the wall.

Wyvern uttered a low growl. Deep and ominous.

The trio whipped around- Jim quickly snuck around them and ran to Wyvern’s side.

“You were supposed to escape!” he hissed. “I…”

“Climb on,” the Charizard interrupted, without taking his eyes off the men and the Magnemite. All three stared at him, half petrified. Jim, his legs trembling, clambered up onto Wyvern’s back.

“Get out of here,” the Charizard growled, malice hanging on every syllable. “This boy is mine!” His deep voice echoed throughout the damp basement.

The men staggered and fell against each other in fear.

“M-Magnemite…use thunder wave!” one of them stammered. “Bring that Ch-Charizard down!”

Magnemite’s central eye closed and his silver orb-like body began to shake. Sparks of electricity started to build up around his magnetic polls. The men remained wide-eyed in fear.

Before the thunder wave could be released, Wyvern opened his mouth, roared, and a huge plume of fire arched from his mouth. The flamethrower licked over the dirty walls, the dingy ceiling, the concrete floor, and filled the room with dancing flames. The defenseless Magnemite fainted upon impact and once it was returned, the men retreated and ran away screaming as if Darkrai itself was after them.

“What’s up? What happened?” Out of breath, Dock caught up with Wyvern.

“Quick, the canal!” cried Jim. “If they come back they’ll bring twenty more Magnemite with them.”

“Climb on, Dock!” Wyvern said, listening uneasily to the fading echoes of the men’s footsteps. When Dock was finally on his back, the Charizard turned and strode back to their hiding place.

Bright sunlight was still pouring between the shards of broken glass. Cautiously Wyvern put his snout outside.

“It’s too bright!” Dock moaned. “Much too bright. How are we gonna get away undetected?”

“Come on!” Jim grabbed the Ambipom’s hand and pulled her off the Charizard’s back with him as he scrambled down. “Wyvern must travel the canals alone. That way he can duck into the shadows and they won’t see him. We’ll take my boat.”

“What?” Dock distrustfully flinched away from Jim and pressed closer to Wyvern. “Must we really separate again? How will we find each other?”

“There’s a bridge.” Jim turned to the Charizard. “Travel down the canal on the left side and you can’t miss it. Hide under it until we arrive.”

Wyvern looked at the boy thoughtfully. Finally he nodded. “Jim’s right, Dock,” he said. “Take care of yourselves, both of you.”

Then he forced his way through the window, dropped down to the stony curb next to the water, and then disappeared into the shadows.

Dock nervously watched him go, and without turning her head she asked, “Where’s this boat of yours, then?”

“Here.” Jim went over to the stacked crates and pulled them aside. A silver-painted wooden boat lay against the wall.

“That’s a boat?” asked Dock, horrified. “It’s made out of scrap wood!”

“If you don’t like it you can swim,” said Jim.

“Oh, darn it all!” Dock listened. She could hear agitated voices far, far way.
Jim quickly crawled behind the stack of crates where he’d been hiding when they’d first met and came out again a holding large knapsack.

“Coming?” he asked and pushed the boat over to the window.

“We’ll drown, that’s what,” Dock muttered, staring with disgust at the murky water.

But nonetheless, she helped the boy launch the boat into the canal.

Last edited:
I just knew that a human was gonna join the frey. A human is for once gonna make something better. I like Charizard the best of course.

#Chimecho#

Truth[N]Love
Ch six seemed a bit short. But it was interesting. I knew that something was going to happen to that mansion. Would be boring if they just got out of there without much trouble eh?

miler567

Ahhh a new reader! Thanks Salamence girl! To those that were actually reading, I apologize for my break (got caught up in my schoolwork) the next chap. should be up by the end of this weekend!

miler567

Ch. 7) In the Dark

No one saw Wyvern as he made his escape along the canal. Twice, boats came toward him, but they were chugging through the water so noisily that Wyvern could hear them a good way off and was able to duck into the shadows in good time- deep into the darkness, where garbage clung to grimy stone wall. As soon as the dark specters of the boats had passed by him and disappeared, the Charizard came out of the gloom and trudged on. Zubat flittered over his head, screeching, until he shooed them away with a low growl. At last, he saw a bridge after a short break from the tunnel above him. Its shadow looked like an inky spot on the still water.

Broad and massive, the bridge spanned the river. Traffic noises drifted down from it, but the shadow it cast was as dark as the mud on the bottom of the canal and offered the Charizard solace from prying eyes. Wyvern poked his head out from behind a stony pillar and looked around. There was no one in sight on either side of the water. The Charizard bounded over to the bridge, shook the water off of his dirty scales, and settled in the comforting shadows of the overpass.

He licked his scales clean and waited.

Before long he was half-deafened by the noise overhead, but even worse was his anxiety for Dock and the boy. Sighing, Wyvern laid his head on his paws and looked at the water which reflected the gray clouds overhead. He felt lonely. It was an unfamiliar feeling. Wyvern had been alone often and never in such a strange, gray place. Suppose Dock didn’t come? The Charizard raised his head and looked back along the canal.

Where could they be?

It was odd. Wyvern let his head drop to his paws again. He was missing the boy, too. Were there many human beings like Jim? Wyvern thought of the two men who had grabbed the boy, and the fiery tip of his tail flickered in anger.

Then he saw the boat.

It came drifting down the canal toward him like a nutshell. The Charizard quickly stretched his long neck out of the shadow of the bridge and breathed a shower of red embers on the water.

When Dock saw him she hopped about in such excitement that the boat swayed perilously, but Jim paddled it safely to the bank. Dock jumped out onto the slope and ran to Wyvern.

“Hey!” she cried. “Hey, there you are!” Flinging her arms around his neck, she nipped at his nose affectionately. The she dropped to the cold cement next to the Charizard with a sigh. “You’ve no idea how awful I feel!” she groaned. “All that rocking about! My tummy’s churning as if I’d eaten a bad poffin.”

Jim docked the boat and shyly came closer. “Thanks,” he said to the Charizard. “Thank you very much for chasing those men away.”

Wyvern bent his neck and gently nuzzled the boy. “What are you going to do now?” he asked. “You don’t have anywhere to go, do you?”

“No.” Jim sat down on his backpack, sighing. “That mansion won’t be left standing for much longer. They’re going to blow it up.”

“Oh you’ll find somewhere else to hide!” Dock looked around snuffling, and picked up a few berries that some trainer had carelessly tossed away. “I know! Why not move in with Din’s cousin? He’s got plenty of room!”

“Din’s cousin!” cried Wyvern. “With all the excitement, I’d entirely forgotten about him. What did he say? Does he know where we must look?”

“Well, sort of!” Dock stuffed the berries into her mouth and then picked up another discarded morsel. “But we’d have found that out for ourselves, anyway. One thing’s for sure, we have a long journey ahead of us. Are you certain you don’t want to change your mind?”

But Wyvern only shook his head. “I’m not turning back, Dock. Exactly what did the Pikachu say?”

“He gave us a map,” said Jim. “The map shows it all. Where to fly, what to watch out for, everything. Its great!”

Excited, the Charizard turned to Dock. “A map? What kind of a map?”

“Well, just a map.” Dock took it out of her backpack. “There you are.” She spread it out in front of the Charizard.

“What does all that mean?” Wyvern looked at the tangle of lines and marks, baffled. “Can you read it?”

“Of course,” said Dock, looking important. “My grandpa was always drawing things like that, to help him find his way back to his berry plants."

The Charizard nodded. “Good.” He put his head to one side and looked up to the sky. “Which way do I fly first? Straight east?”

“Um, east? Wait a minute.” Dock scratched behind her ears and bent over the map. Her furry finger traced over Glint’s silver line. “No I think we go north. First north, then east, he said. Yes, that’s exactly what he said.” She nodded. “I’m certain he did.”

“Dock,” said Wyvern, “are you quite sure you understand what these scribbles mean?”

“Of course I do!” Dock looked offended. “Oh, bother these human clothes!” Crossly, she pulled Jim’s sweatshirt over her head and slipped out of the trousers. “I can’t think properly with this stuff on.”

The Charizard looked at her thoughtfully. Then he stretched out his neck and looked at the sky. “The sun’s setting,” he said. “We can start soon.”

“Thank goodness!” Dock folded up the map and put it in her backpack. “About time we left this city. It’s no place for a Charizard and an Ambipom.”

Jim picked up a couple of stones and tossed them into the dark water. “I don’t suppose you’ll be coming back, will you?”

“Why on Earth would we want to?” Dock stuffed a few extra berries into her backpack. “I certainly don’t want to see that conceited orange Pikachu again.”

Jim nodded. “Then I’ll wish you both luck,” he said, throwing a final stone into the water. “I hope you find this Beacon of Fire place.”

Wyvern looked at him. Jim returned the Charizard’s glance.

“You’d like to come, too, wouldn’t you?” asked Wyvern.

Jim bit his lip. “Of course,” he muttered, hardly knowing where to look.

Raising her head, Dock pricked up her ears uneasily. “What?” she said. “Come with us? Are you joking?”

Wyvern took no notice of her but just looked at the boy. “It will be a dangerous journey,” he said. “Very long and very dangerous. You may never come back. Wouldn’t anyone here miss you?”

Jim shook his head. “I’m on my own. I always have been.” His heart beat faster. Hardly daring to believe it, he looked at the Charizard. “Would you…would you really let me come, too?”

“If you like,” replied Wyvern. “But think about it carefully. Dock often gets bad-tempered, you know.”

Jim felt weak at his knees. “Oh I do know!” he said grinning. He was feeling quite dizzy with delight.

“Hey, hang on for just a moment!” Dock pushed her way in between them. “What’s got into you, Wyvern? He can’t possibly come.”

“Why not?” Wyvern playfully nuzzled her furry stomach. “He’s been very helpful. We can use all the help we can get, don’t you think?”

“Helpful?” Dock was so indignant she almost fell over. “He’s a human! A human being! Only pint-sized, but still a human being. And it’s the humans’ fault we’re not at home in our nice warm cave. It’s their fault we’re off on this crazy quest! And now you want one of them along?”

“Yes, I do.” Wyvern rose, shook himself, and bent his neck so low that the Ambipom had to look him in the eye. “He’s helped us, Dock. He’s a friend. So I don’t mind whether he’s a human being, an Ambipom, or a Pikachu. What’s more,” he added, looking at Jim, who was standing there hardly daring to breathe, “what’s more, he doesn’t have a home now any more than we do. Isn’t that true?” He looked inquiringly at the boy.

“I never did have a home,” muttered Jim, looking at Dock.

The Ambipom bit her lip and dug the claws of her toes into the grime coating the stone floor. “Oh, all right, all right,” she murmured gruffly at last. “I’ll say no more. But he sits behind me. I insist on that.”

Wyvern nudged her so firmly with his nose that she stumbled backwards a ways, before catching herself with one her tail-hands. “He sits behind you,” Wyvern agreed. “But he’s coming with us.”

Last edited:

#Chimecho#

Truth[N]Love
Twice, boats came toward him, but they were chugging through the water so noisily that Wyvern could hear them a good way off and was able to duck into the shadows in good time- deep into the darkness, where garbage clung to grimy stone wall.

Really long sentence *laughs*

“My grandpa was always drawing things like that, to help him find his way back to his berry plants.

Missing the ending quote

Oh boy... Jim is coming along too. I wonder how helpful he really will be.

><> Truth

Last edited:

#Chimecho#

Truth[N]Love
I didn't correct anything. Merely pointed a missing quote out ^^.

I really like this, where it is going. A good writer indeed.

><> Truth

SapphireRose

Morning☼Sun
SO. Jim is joining the journey, eh? I must say, I envy Jim a bit. =/

Sorry I didn't review last chapter. /lazy

I still love this. It's good and you seem really professional in your writing. -is totally just restating what I said in the first post I...posted...here-

Plot twists ahead? Great, all the more reason to keep reading this!

~BM

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your story so far! It's a nice change from the typical trainer journey stories.

And is Glint a Raichu or a pikachu with a different coloration? just wondering :)

also I think you meant Jim here
"The trio whipped around-Ben quickly snuck around them and ran to Wyvern’s side."

Great job and I look forward to the rest of the chapters!

miler567

Ahhh a new reader. Out of respect for you I will dutifully try to answer your question with my first multi-quote reply lol

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your story so far! It's a nice change from the typical trainer journey stories.

Haha thanks. I tried to make it different from everything else.

And is Glint a Raichu or a pikachu with a different coloration? just wondering :)

Glint is a shiny Pikachu/

also I think you meant Jim here
"The trio whipped around-Ben quickly snuck around them and ran to Wyvern’s side."

Ahhh I'm surprised you're the first person to catch that. When I first wrote the stroy and couldn't decide on Jim's name, I just stuck him with my brother's, Ben, until I was inspired. I tried to edit all of this out but obviously I missed a couple. Thanks!

I hope you continue to read!

Tonks

A Couple of Sparks..
Oh this is really good i only read the first two chapters but i will continue later. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.