• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Being "Inapropriate"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havocide

Collector
On the subject of being inapproirate, I've been watching the pokemon moviews, and it does really begin to portrait Ash as a gay guy. I mean anytime he meets a kid and has to go he gets immensely emotion, which I can understand from a kids perspective, but I just find it hard to see kids these days being that emotion over saying goodbye to friends and such.

I can see why its done though to portrait valueing the friends you make, but guess It just looks a bit strange from my perspective.

Anyone else noticed that?

Edit: I do not see being gay as inappriorate! Just in a Kids TV film the emotion makes it feel inapporirate.

Last edited:
I hate it when people say Pokemon are 'forced' to fight. They're not. Pokemon want to fight.

Nidoprince

On the subject of being inapproirate, I've been watching the pokemon moviews, and it does really begin to portrait Ash as a gay guy. I mean anytime he meets a kid and has to go he gets immensely emotion, which I can understand from a kids perspective, but I just find it hard to see kids these days being that emotion over saying goodbye to friends and such.

I can see why its done though to portrait valueing the friends you make, but guess It just looks a bit strange from my perspective.

Anyone else noticed that?

Edit: I do not see being gay as inappriorate! Just in a Kids TV film the emotion makes it feel inapporirate.

OK, I just have to clarify this, that you have to read the first post, or you will be completely off topic. I will edit the first post so that people who don't bother reading it will see the bolded big letters. I understand all that, I can see your point of view, but this is NOT what we're talking about here.

And yes, I think that Pokemon do want to fight, there are as many Pokemon who don't fight as there are that do. Thats just life, people.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
the people that say pokemon is like dog/rooster fights really don't understand both pokemon battles, or animal fights either, Pokemon are willing to battle and help the trainer, as well as the trainer helps the pokemon, in animal fights, the animal knows nothing but the fight since their force bred to be killing machines, I'm sure if you asked any ordinary rooster, it would'nt want to be galavanting around slashing other rooosters, same with pokemon, they don't go around killing each other (save for normal wild prey), battleing is competitive in pokemon, but the pokemon stop fighting once their foe is downed. If you read the dex, none of the ones that mention pokemon hunting, actually describe the pokemon hunting with it's attacks, but rather their natural abilities. going off topic,

[/rant]

Is pokemon inappropriate because some people think the catchphrase "gotta catch em all" is linked to slavery?

No. There are lots of "other" ways pokemon could be seen as inappropriate, (such as it's obvious dog/co-ck fighting overtones) but there is nothing linking "gotta catch 'em all" to slavery. Slavery involves humans. Pokemon involves animals. If in gen V you can catch people in poke-balls, then yes that would be slavery.

I've heard people come up with some rediculous reasons for not letting their kids play pokemon (it involves witchcraft-yeah right, it's too violent-yeah right, it involves dog/co-ck fighting-okay you got me there), but seriously, SLAVERY?!@!? That takes the cake.

Last edited:
No. There are lots of "other" ways pokemon could be seen as inappropriate, (such as it's obvious dog/co-ck fighting overtones) but there is nothing linking "gotta catch 'em all" to slavery. Slavery involves humans. Pokemon involves animals. If in gen V you can catch people in poke-balls, then yes that would be slavery.

I've heard people come up with some rediculous reasons for not letting their kids play pokemon (it involves witchcraft-yeah right, it's too violent-yeah right, it involves dog/co-ck fighting-okay you got me there), but seriously, SLAVERY?!@!? That takes the cake.

It's not cock fighting. Cock fighting is where cocks are forced to fight. Pokemon are not forced to fight.

Tyrant Tar

obvious dog/co-ck fighting overtones.

You and your dog/co-ck fighting analogy......

Pokemon battles are a sport. The Pokemon is free to not listen to the trainer, it is never forced to fight. "Commands" are largely suggestions, and Pokemon will only follow them IF they find their trainer good enough for them. Gym Badges show Pokemon that said trainer has experience, and following their suggestions will probably lead them to victory.

It's just like pro-athletes and their coaches; the coach makes the plans, and the athlete follows the plans, but only if they think the coach is competent (or else they'd quit).

Nidoprince

^Whatever that is.

Seriously, I don't see the big deal. You're not making them fight, they can easily back away from the battle. But that's why I made this thread, because obviously people have different oppinions. I think what Pokemon is all about bonding and respecting all living things, (so that the trainer can care for the Pokemon, and play a sport) but people take it the exact opposite way. I guess the people who don't let their kids get into Pokemon won't even bother to get off their lazy butts to see how violent it really is.

^Whatever that is.

Seriously, I don't see the big deal. You're not making them fight, they can easily back away from the battle. But that's why I made this thread, because obviously people have different oppinions. I think what Pokemon is all about bonding and respecting all living things, (so that the trainer can care for the Pokemon, and play a sport) but people take it the exact opposite way. I guess the people who don't let their kids get into Pokemon won't even bother to get off their lazy butts to see how violent it really is.

Violence! Violence! I can't believe this game is permitted in Christian homes?! *shock*

Also, I just spoke to Betty Lou, my local vet, and she can't believe parent's let kids play this horrible, dog fighting game?!

Dude. I hope you all know I'm just kidding. I play pokemon all the time and i love it. XD

I have heard people make that argument with me before, but I just tell them it's just a game, who cares. *no animals were harmed in the making of this game*

STICKTOPIA

I don't find it appropriate at all.... It's just a show. The only pokemon that are enslaved are the 1s raised by bad ppl like TR, TM, TA, and TG.

Nidoprince

^You mean, "Innapropriate," right? It's not "Innapropriate" at all, is what you ment, right?

Violence! Violence! I can't believe this game is permitted in Christian homes?! *shock*

Also, I just spoke to Betty Lou, my local vet, and she can't believe parent's let kids play this horrible, dog fighting game?!

Dude. I hope you all know I'm just kidding. I play pokemon all the time and i love it. XD

I have heard people make that argument with me before, but I just tell them it's just a game, who cares. *no animals were harmed in the making of this game*

What I'm trying to say is that this is one of the reasons for people liking stupid ripoffs of Pokemon instead of the real thing.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Ehh....

Nope.

There will always be violence in this world, no matter what anyone does, and children are always exposed to it one way or another. So if you think cartoons using fiction abilities against eachother when they want to is inappropriate, then fine.

But really, people can take things way too seriously.

Nidoprince

^Believe me, I'm on your side. I seriously don't see the big deal. I can't see how Pokemon is so much like slavery. Yes, mabye if you forget everything about it, then see Ash saying "Hope you enjoy your last moment of freedom!" and whips around his hat and takes out a techy ball capture system, then then I'll think that Pokemon is simular to it. But when you show me Ash petting his Pikachu in a serenic backround, then I won't belive you saying Pokemon is slavery.

All I'm going to say is Pokemon battling is a sport, for both trainers and Pokemon. It's meant to be good natured competition like wrestling, football and such. Pokemon likely battle each other in the wild to protect their territory or young, so it's not like they're out of their element.

That's my two cents, anyway.

Elementer

Sword&Element Master
I'm very religous, and so is my family. But me, or they for the matter, have never tried to me stop playing Pokemon. And nidoprince has a point - if this is so violent, to the extent of comparing it to animal fighting, then I honestly have to say one thing: Almost all the video game players have shooting games, which is total out violence, like Bioshock, or even more realistic, Call of Duty. So why don't people have problems with that?

I think its because our society. Our society has gotten used to the thousands of shooting games in USA, or almost any other country, for that matter. But Pokemon does something new, placing a deep stragety game in a buisness which this place is usually reserved for puzzle games, or Final Fantasy Games. So, obviously people have problems with it though it has absolutely no blood, drugs, or anything else that have parents/kids hate.

So there you have it. Feel free to critisize on my weird opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.