• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Best Wishes - Missed Opportunities and Unexplained Events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunter ゴースト

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty sure i can vouch for many that there were a tonne of storylines and episode ideas that could have been great development wise in Best Wishes, but not only this but that there were a variety of things that ended up never getting expanded on or mentioned again. I'm not going to list everything as the list would be huge, but i will list a majority of the most annoying missed opportunities the writers could have dealt with:

-Ash and Zekrom: In BW001 the impression was given that Zekrom would relate to Ash in some way. Episode N was the perfect opportunity to have this mean something, but instead it was completely dismissed and only looked over by N for 10 seconds. I'd have loved Ash and Zekrom vs N and Reshiram.

-Krookodile's Sunglasses: So we all know Krookodile was fond of it's glasses, particularly so much that it lost it's battle against Swoobat. Surely this is a major problem that needed training to overcome? It's not like Krookodile wouldn't be able to wear them anymore, I just feel some development on the Sunglasses preventing it battling needed to take place, i'd have liked to see it train so that if it lost them mid-battle it could continue fighting.

-Snivy's Past Trainer?: It would have been nice to see some backstory here, i know the chances of Ash and Co. meeting Snivy's past trainer should be 0.01%, and it happened with Tepig, but the writers made all the unlikely things happen in BW (meeting Dawn, Ash vs Trip, Stephan and Cameron at the League etc.) that it feels like Snivy drew the short straw.

-Cilan's Purrloin Fear: That's it everyone, just like Brock's sadness to Professor Ivy, we will never know why. It annoys me, what's the point in adding these moments if we'll never know what caused them? A bonding episode for Cilan and Purrloin would have been great, hell i'd have loved him to catch one over the fear.

-Team Rocket vs Team Plasma + other stories involving this clash: Yes, I understand the postponing wasn't the writers fault, but they had the opportunity to divert the story and recover it. A retcon would have been fine so long as it still happened. The one episode in Episode N wasn't good enough.

A personal want of mine which I full heartedly thought was a possibility before the postponing was that Giovanni, Team Rocket, Team Plasma, Original Mewtwo and Genesect were all going to clash at some point during the anime (which very well could have been the intention for Movie 16 before the postponing). However it didn't happen.

General Pokemon Development (Training and Evolutions): Pretty much this. A lot of chances for development were in the saga, Oshawott trained to not use his shell but it didn't even work. Another episode could have shown that eventually he learned not to need his shell to fight.

Scraggy and Axew's Friendship: Anybody else disappointed nothing come from this? I'm surprised they didn't even get to say goodbye to each other. I'd have liked to have seen Axew and Scraggy evolve together which leads to my next annoyed moment:

Axew's Training: BW006, Axew shows he wants to evolve. Yeah nothing confirmed he would evolve, but it seems such a shame that he didn't evolve at all. I'd have rather he not dreamed of evolving so we could just assume it would evolve whenever it would evolve.

Iris becoming a Gym Leader: The foreshadowing was there and it blatantly stated that she could one day become one. Okay okay you could argue that she is pursuing this by going to see Claire and train, i'm just surprised it was only properly mentioned in that one episode with Drayden. Note this is my most picky point.

Roxie and Koffing - TR James Mention: Considering the debut of Roxie and particularly Koffing was a big moment in Best Wishes as it was the first time we had properly seen an older Gen Pokemon appear, I would have liked James to have peered through the window and mentioned his own Koffing to Jessie and Meowth.

The Rivals and no closure (semi-excluding Trip): No closure for the rivals was given, only partly to Trip. Regardless though Trip's appearances and development with Ash was so poorly done it shouldn't be allowed to be called closure on anything. Cilan should have made ammends with Cabernet and Iris should have beaten Georgia properly which again leads me to another point:

Iris and her fear of Ice: Yeah so she never got over it. The perfect opportunity here was to give her an Ice Type. Who? Lapras, considering it would have helped represent her B2/W2 in-game team.

Snivy and Emolga's Rivalry: Nothing too important, it just would have been nice to see an episode which properly focused on their rivalry and maybe even resolved it fully would have been good instead of small arguments in select amount of episodes.

Butterfree DA Episode: Why have new Butterfree when it was the perfect opportunity/setup for his old Butterfree to re-appear?

Kyurem: Third mascot legendaries never really get a special episode in the anime, still it would have been nice in DA! if a Kyurem centric plot was brought in for an episode or two. It was hinted by Team Plasma after all.

DA! Filler Arc: The final point. DA. This arc could have easily introduced some form of sub plot. Another Orange Islands styled thing would have been good, hell even a tournament which Ash was heading too. DA! Is the first proper arc were nothing was relevant other than killing time for XY. Ash could have gotten his glorification in this arc, some form of strong win which redeemed what he lost in the rest of BW.

So, what are your wishes, wants and disappointments for storylines that never came to be in BW? Anything you wanted to see or explained list it below:)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Everything you said and more. I used to think Johto was the worst arc of the anime, but at least Johto only had one big plothole (the GS ball), and the other problems were just the bad fillers. Best Wishes might very well be the biggest disappointment of the series.

Janovy

Banned
Are we going to do this AGAIN? Are you f-ing kidding me?

Haunter ゴースト

Everything you said and more. I used to think Johto was the worst arc of the anime, but at least Johto only had one big plothole (the GS ball), and the other problems were just the bad fillers. Best Wishes might very well be the biggest disappointment of the series.

Are we going to do this AGAIN? Are you f-ing kidding me?

I agree Cyber.

Janovy, this isn't intended to be a thread for bashing Best Wishes. It's actually to discuss the opportunities it's had to create plots and other stories, or stories that weren't expanded on. I suppose it is likely the thread will turn bad and get closed but for the meantime please post something worthwhile instead of complaining.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
There is an Best Wishes opinion thread below this to discuss this as well. All of the forums don't need to make similar threads to one another.

But Cyber, I don't think the writers were trying to make this like Johto. They pretty much stopped caring in "Da" where all of the stuff could have been addressed so the writers pretty much screwed up.

-Ash and Zekrom

Out of the whole list, this is the only one that I think matters the most. I mean a pokemon shows up of no where and attacks your pokemon and never found out why is a bit weird. Especially when it happened in first episode. Everything else is tedious.

-Krookodile's Sunglasses

Since Ash caught this pokemon, I pretty much didn't care about the glasses.

Snivy's Past Trainer?

This didn't need to be addressed. There is no need for two pokemon sob stories if Snivy was never going to evolve anyway.

Cilan's Purrloin Fear

Along with Iris's fear of Ice pokemon, they didn't need to give Cilan a fear too. It was just a joke gag since the beginning. If they didn't do jack sh*t about it in "Da' then I didn't think they were going to care about it in general.

-Team Rocket vs Team Plasma + other stories involving this clash:

Episode N pretty much did what ever they could regarding this matter. I personally would have rather TR have stayed out of TP business in the first place, we would have gotten TP much earlier in the series.

General Pokemon Development (Training and Evolutions):

Ha! Please! If we were going back to gymleaders being on the show, than that means no one had do any training other than Ash. And if we were watching a series similar to kanto, than even Ash barely will train.

Scraggy and Axew's Friendship

I don't see how this is unexplained. They had a friendship. That's it. What did you want Axew to do, drag Ash by the leg begging for Scraggy to come with it because it would have devastated him or something? Remember Piplup back in DP? I wouldn't have wanted to watch Axew sob just for that.

Axew's Training

Training? Where is barely any of Iris's pokemon actually trained? The writers screwed up with Axew's little dream fest that they were so busy worried about Axew's marketability that they themselves seemed to have forgot.

Iris becoming a Gym Leader

You know something, I'm glad they never mentioned this. She needs to travel by herself instead of worrying about being a gym leader. Most of her pokemon are a mess so I don't think she would have been ready for something like that anyhow.

Roxie and Koffing - TR James Mention

I don't see what this has anything to do with anything. TR older pokemon was barely mentioned in BW long with other things. Koffing is also the reason I'm pissed at the Roxie gym battle that Ash had. I got that Koffing was popular but they didn't have to throw Ash's pokemon under the bus for that.

The Rivals and no closure (semi-excluding Trip):

This is the second thing I agree with. At least in Johto Ash and Gary had closure. But with all of the rivals they had even Trip got a horrible kick from the show.

Iris and her fear of Ice

Lapras wouldn't have helped Iris along with the ice cream cone back early one. What they could have done was do an episode with Kyrem and that would have been a better way. But just like Misty's fear of bugs didn't go away, they probably figure Iris's fear didn't need to either.

Snivy and Emolga's Rivalry

This was annoying. I'm glad they dropped it since Emonga wasn't getting shown for gaps at a time.

Butterfree DA Episode: Why have new Butterfree when it was the perfect opportunity/setup for his old Butterfree to re-appear?

Yeah stuff like this was to just boost ratings. I was pretty sure that this was a troll move since I heard about it and I was right. I hope they never pull crap like this again and hopefully the Butterfree issue will stay gone until the show is over.

Yeah they pretty much left a lot of legendaries in the dark in this series didn't they? But they sure gave Mewtwo(an already over popular) pokemon more screen time than it really needed.

DA! Filler Arc:

I would have liked it if they wouldn't have even done this. I would have rather they have done a Senior Cup in White Forest and a Master Cup in Black City instead. Speaking of Cups, that's something you should have added to you incomplete list of stuff to complain about.

Last edited:
Palpitoad and Stunfifk. I would of loved to see there relationship develop more. Maybe a tag battle where they teamed up. Against Soran & Riku Would of been perfect really

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
I was surprised they never had a Trip's Snivy and Ash's Oshawott rivalry to mimic Cheren even more and because Snivy and Oshawott knew each other from the lab

I think you hit the mark on everything else very accurately and politely Haunter, thank you.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Are you people doing this shit again?

Another Best Wishes bashing thread, lovely, wonder how long before it gets locked.

Haunter ゴースト

I was surprised they never had a Trip's Snivy and Ash's Oshawott rivalry to mimic Cheren even more and because Snivy and Oshawott knew each other from the lab

I think you hit the mark on everything else very accurately and politely Haunter, thank you.

Yeah, that would have been cool considering they knew each other, technically from inside their pokeballs haha. Yeah thanks, this isn't intended to be a bashing thread so i'm trying to make it a discussion but the opposite seems to be happening.

Another Best Wishes bashing thread, lovely, wonder how long before it gets locked.

Read my comment from above thanks.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

It's more like constructive criticism than bashing imo. The thread creator is raising some very good points.

I was bothered that the whole Cilan/Purrloin thing was never explained. It seemed like the story could have been really interesting it the writers apparently didn't care enough to expand on that. Also, I would have liked for Snivy and Emolga to resolve their rivalry, but that didn't happen and it's not like we can expect to see them together again.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Good lord, this really is one of the whiniest fandoms ever.

A "general opinions/thoughts on BW" thread isn't enough, apparently; one specifically attacking BW has to be created too.

It's more like constructive criticism than bashing imo. The thread creator is raising some very good points.

Bull. Even if that was the intent, the thread creator should have known when creating it that it would become an outlet for people to bash BW, and lo and behold, the first response to the initial post (by Cyber, naturally) started it up at once.

Krookodile's Sunglasses: So we all know Krookodile was fond of it's glasses, particularly so much that it lost it's battle against Swoobat. Surely this is a major problem that needed training to overcome? It's not like Krookodile wouldn't be able to wear them anymore, I just feel some development on the Sunglasses preventing it battling needed to take place, i'd have liked to see it train so that if it lost them mid-battle it could continue fighting.

Seriously? You're going to nitpick that we didn't have a training episode or episodes dealing with a "problem" that was played for laughs?

-Team Rocket vs Team Plasma + other stories involving this clash: Yes, I understand the postponing wasn't the writers fault, but they had the opportunity to divert the story and recover it. A retcon would have been fine so long as it still happened. The one episode in Episode N wasn't good enough.

A personal want of mine which I full heartedly thought was a possibility before the postponing was that Giovanni, Team Rocket, Team Plasma, Original Mewtwo and Genesect were all going to clash at some point during the anime (which very well could have been the intention for Movie 16 before the postponing). However it didn't happen.

The two-parter was never going to spin off into a story arc. It was just the conclusion to the Meteonite arc. It's postponing changed nothing.

General Pokemon Development (Training and Evolutions): Pretty much this. A lot of chances for development were in the saga, Oshawott trained to not use his shell but it didn't even work. Another episode could have shown that eventually he learned not to need his shell to fight.

What is WITH the obsession with training episodes? If you want Pokemon training, train your own Pokemon in the games! Watching it animated is boring.

Iris becoming a Gym Leader: The foreshadowing was there and it blatantly stated that she could one day become one.

In other words, then there's no problem. Next!

Roxie and Koffing - TR James Mention: Considering the debut of Roxie and particularly Koffing was a big moment in Best Wishes as it was the first time we had properly seen an older Gen Pokemon appear, I would have liked James to have peered through the window and mentioned his own Koffing to Jessie and Meowth.

OK, now you're just nitpicking.

The Rivals and no closure (semi-excluding Trip): No closure for the rivals was given, only partly to Trip. Regardless though Trip's appearances and development with Ash was so poorly done it shouldn't be allowed to be called closure on anything.

LOL, you complain about lack of closure, but then complain when one gets it because you don't like his character?

Also, Stephan got closure too. He won the Donamite and became a respected trainer whose name people remember at the League.

Iris and her fear of Ice: Yeah so she never got over it.

Like Misty got over her fear of bugs, and May her fear of Tentacool, and Dawn her fear of Plusle and Minun. Oh....wait.

Kyurem: Third mascot legendaries never really get a special episode in the anime

Then why complain now? Also: Movie 15.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Read my comment from above thanks.
There are about thirty variations, 2-3 of which are currently still active, of this same thread scattered throughout the forum, I don't think another was required. You might not have intended it to be what it's likely to become, but this thread is most likely gonna devolve into BW bashing. Did you really have to make another one? What was wrong with the other two below it?

Canada

Banned
Palpitoad and Stunfifk. I would of loved to see there relationship develop more. Maybe a tag battle where they teamed up. Against Soran & Riku Would of been perfect really

Yeah this. Plus I wish they had gotten more screen time, especially Palpitoad.

Good job ignoring everything except the title and skipping straight to pulling the temper tantrum ;D

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master

Where is there bashing? This is tame compared to other threads. Haunter is just trying to have a constructive conversation about the most controversial Pokémon series

Squirtle_007

Where the hell is the Report button (¬_¬)? 75 BW bashing threads are more than enough and I'm just one warning away from the permabanned exile to discuss about it

Last edited:

Canada

Banned
I was bothered that the whole Cilan/Purrloin thing was never explained. It seemed like the story could have been really interesting it the writers apparently didn't care enough to expand on that. Also, I would have liked for Snivy and Emolga to resolve their rivalry, but that didn't happen and it's not like we can expect to see them together again.
To be honest those were only gags and didn't need to be explained/resolved.

Uh, don't we have a topic about this ALREADY?

Nope. The other thread is about how BW compares to AG, OS and DP. This thread is only about BW and how it could have been better. And pretty much any series could be better, just saying.

Where the hell is the Report button (¬_¬)? 75 BW bashing threads are more than enough and I'm just one warning away from the permabanned exile to discuss about it

This thread is the only thing being bashed, lol.

Last edited:

Graham Aker

Nope. The other thread is about how BW compares to AG, OS and DP. This thread is only about BW and how it could have been better. And pretty much any series could be better, just saying.

Still the TC could have easily put this in the "Opinions thread on BW"...it's in the same section.

Status
Not open for further replies.