• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I can't imagine Pokemon based off inanimate objects getting old and dying. I think Pokemon like Voltorb are probably biologically immortal...as much as it can have biology

And what would possibly lead you to that conclusion? Just because said Pokémon looks like an inanimate object, doesn't mean it's anything like said item. They'e still biological creatures, and that pretty much always mean they have a finite life. Saying they shouldn't die is like saying a walking stick shouldn't die because it looks like a stick.

To be fair, maybe there are some that don't die naturally, especially the Ghost-Types that are spirits possessing objects, like Honedge, but those are almost certainly exceptions, not rules.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There's strong implications that the Golett line at least is an inanimate Pokemon that doesn't age, considering AZ has it and he's 3000 years old

Morton Belgram

It wonders me that Rhydon can use Surf despite being a Rock/Ground type. He should be dead in the water, unless he is only harmed by some magical Pokéwater that has to be produced by another Pokémon...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
There's strong implications that the Golett line at least is an inanimate Pokemon that doesn't age, considering AZ has it and he's 3000 years old

But AZ also has a Torkoal and a Sigilyph, and those are almost certainly not immortal. Maybe Torkoal can live for 200 years like some tortoises, but it certainly can't live 3,000 years. So, if AZ had to catch these Pokémon more recently, he very well could have captured his Golurk recently as well. Nothing ever suggested he had it for 3,000 years.

It wonders me that Rhydon can use Surf despite being a Rock/Ground type. He should be dead in the water, unless he is only harmed by some magical Pokéwater that has to be produced by another Pokémon...

Just because a Pokémon is weak to Water-Type attacks, that does not mean they can't touch water. Maybe they refer not to touch water, but it's not like they take damage from it, and they especially wouldn't die (unless it's a special exception like Charmander).

Clearly in the Pokémon world there is a difference between the action of scratching, and using the move Scratch. Just like that, there is likely a difference between water sitting in a lake and the water from a Pokémon's attack.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Sigilyph might be some sort of artificial creature or is supernatural and thus lives long, since it's a weird thing based of Nazca lines. And Wartortle can live for thousands of years according to the Pokedex, so Torkoal could also live for that long as a fellow chelonian

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Sigilyph might be some sort of artificial creature or is supernatural and thus lives long, since it's a weird thing based of Nazca lines.

There is absolutely zero evidence to suggest or support that. You're literally just making stuff up.

And Wartortle can live for thousands of years according to the Pokedex, so Torkoal could also live for that long as a fellow chelonian

The Pokedex specifically says "It is said to live 10,000 years. Its furry tail is popular as a symbol of longevity." Key words being "it is said." Whenever something says "it is said," it is safe to assume that it is folklore and legends being referenced, not scientific fact. If the description instead said, "It can live 10,000 years," then you would be able to claim it lives that long, but it doesn't. Just because folklore says it can live that long, does not mean it can. And even if Wartortle could live that long, there's nothing suggest that it would share this longevity with Torkoal.

You're grasping at straw here. We have no reason to believe that any of AZ's Pokémon live any significantly longer lifespans than one would expect.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Fine, but I can't understand how a ghost/golem/mech made of clay would be able to age...at least not for thousands of years

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Fine, but I can't understand how a ghost/golem/mech made of clay would be able to age...at least not for thousands of years
According to Golett's Ultra Sun Pokédex entry, it's fuelled by a mysterious energy that has lasted since ancient times any may soon run out. So that means it's able to last many years without too much wear but its days are numbered.

AuroraBeam

True, but golett/golurk are presumably capable of reproduction in ways that actual golems & ghosts wouldn't be. This tells me they're (and similar pokemon like other ghost types) are more of a biological nature than an actual supernatural one. So I think they likely have lifespans and are capable of passing on so to speak.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
True, but golett/golurk are presumably capable of reproduction in ways that actual golems & ghosts wouldn't be. This tells me they're (and similar pokemon like other ghost types) are more of a biological nature than an actual supernatural one. So I think they likely have lifespans and are capable of passing on so to speak.
But they can only do so with Ditto. Maybe that might explain why they're more commonly found than the mythological golems.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Creation and Lake Trio, and Arceus, aren't the actual thing. They are more like avatars, Pokemon manifestation of the "true" Creation Trio, Lake Trio and Arceus. The Lake Trio's bodies are mere meat suits their souls inhabit and they can make new ones if necessary. The Creation Trio's true form is the dimension they come from, the dragons are the bodies they use to interact. And Arceus exists outside of time and space, using a sort of puppet that you can catch. That's why you're even capable of catching beings in charge of the fundamental aspects of reality, without causing some sort of cosmic cataclysm from the guardians of said fundamental aspects of reality being in Pokeballs fighting

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The Creation and Lake Trio, and Arceus, aren't the actual thing. They are more like avatars, Pokemon manifestation of the "true" Creation Trio, Lake Trio and Arceus. The Lake Trio's bodies are mere meat suits their souls inhabit and they can make new ones if necessary. The Creation Trio's true form is the dimension they come from, the dragons are the bodies they use to interact. And Arceus exists outside of time and space, using a sort of puppet that you can catch. That's why you're even capable of catching beings in charge of the fundamental aspects of reality, without causing some sort of cosmic cataclysm from the guardians of said fundamental aspects of reality being in Pokeballs fighting
Thinking about it, Arceus was probably some invisible spirit that arose from a time where matter did not exist, and formed the spirits of the Creation Trio, the Lake Trio and Mew soon after its existence. It would then create and gather matter and they would take on the forms of what they look like now, and their appearances have been unchanged for a long time. But I personally think there isn't really a 'Pokémon manifestation' of Arceus, the Lake Trio, the Creation Trio, etc., but the bodies they possess are an integral part of them.

AuroraBeam

I always liked to think that Arceus as seen in games is just its physical, corporeal form and it has a "true, whole form" that would be something beyond the pokemon universe's comprehension & capacity. And if it was obtainable in the games it would have a value of 255 in all base stats.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
But still, based on Pokédex entries, it is said to have 1000 arms, which should be invisible. They may or may not really be physical parts of Arceus but it is certainly based on mythology, so it may have psychic abilities that compesate for such. But I still think Arceus is just itself.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There's a theory that the Unown are the thousand arms(more accurately armaments) of Arceus

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I don't think that Unown will ever be the arms of Arceus. Then that means how did it create the world in the first place without its arms? And I don't think they will be composed of any other Pokémon either.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't think that Unown will ever be the arms of Arceus. Then that means how did it create the world in the first place without its arms? And I don't think they will be composed of any other Pokémon either.
I'm just trying to make Unown useful to the lore and not a complete waste of time. The fact Arceus summons them when creating a new creation trio member for you suggests a relation between the two. Also, I think Arceus' thousand arms is referencing a bodhisattva.

Ditto is a sentient blob of stem cells. That's why it naturally has an amorphous shape and can physically transform into everything. Perhaps they're Pokemon who genetically degraded and lost their shape

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm just trying to make Unown useful to the lore and not a complete waste of time. The fact Arceus summons them when creating a new creation trio member for you suggests a relation between the two. Also, I think Arceus' thousand arms is referencing a bodhisattva.
It would be better for me to think of the way that Arceus created the Unown and to some extent had control over them. It’s just that it doesn’t make any sense because that could suggest Unown existed before the existence of Arceus. And based on my thoughts Arceus could also responsible for the terrible combined power of Arceus.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Deoxys' gem is a meteor, the same meteor of which it originated as a virus. That's part of why its where the Pokemon's mind and soul is stored. Solrock and Lunatone, if not from the same place Deoxys was originally from, are similar in origin

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Deoxys' gem is a meteor, the same meteor of which it originated as a virus. That's part of why its where the Pokemon's mind and soul is stored. Solrock and Lunatone, if not from the same place Deoxys was originally from, are similar in origin
Maybe. To be more technical, it could have came from the triangle inside the meteor, where it contained alien DNA. But for Solrock and Lunatone, they could have formed from meteors near the sun and the moon respectively.