• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Your added context from the manga really doesn't add any more evidence. Once again, yes, it's an interesting theory that could very well be true. But all we can say for sure is that Unown has some sort of relation to Arceus. Anything more than that is pure speculation, no matter how plausible it seems. Of course, there's nothing wrong with bringing up theories like that, the only reason I said what I did is because you spoke in certainties, as if it were fact, which it is not.
Yes it does. The manga is an accurate reflection of how it went down in the games revealing new information from the games that never occurred to people before. For example stuff like Unown appearing from Areceus didn't appeared in the games and is much more debatable but stuff like Arceus commanding the Unown and how the Unown only appear during the Creation Process and disappear after it's over in the manga are little details that gamers may fail to notice in the games. So yes. The manga does add more evidence, more specifically a clearer insight of what was going on in the Sinjoh ruins in the games.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The manga is an accurate reflection of how it went down in the games revealing new information from the games that never occurred to people before.

I never said it didn't. If anything, me saying it adds nothing means exactly what you're saying here.

For example stuff like Unown appearing from Areceus didn't appeared in the games and is much more debatable but stuff like Arceus commanding the Unown and how the Unown only appear during the Creation Process and disappear after it's over in the manga are little details that gamers may fail to notice in the games. So yes. The manga does add more evidence, more specifically a clearer insight of what was going on in the Sinjoh ruins in the games.

It tells us that Arceus can command Unown, and that they are somehow involved in the process of the creation of Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina, which we could also gather from the games. It does not tell us anything about "arms" mythology.

shoz999

I never said it didn't. If anything, me saying it adds nothing means exactly what you're saying here.

It tells us that Arceus can command Unown, and that they are somehow involved in the process of the creation of Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina, which we could also gather from the games. It does not tell us anything about "arms" mythology.
1) How?
2) Actually it does a lot in an obvious way which you just said yourself earlier. The Pokedex speaks of Arceus's 1000 arms as some-kind of extension crafting the universe right? It's not literally because Arceus doesn't have 1000 arms. There's no myth outside of the Pokedex that says that he literally has 1000 arms. In fact his "1000 arms" is an obvious and simple metaphor of A) a mass-ton of something and B) something that helped crafted the universe more up-close. By default, the only thing in Arceus's history that can be interpreted that way is literally the Unown. They are craftsmen (arms) that can create things as we've seen in the games, anime and Adventures manga and they are thousands probably billions of them (thousands). They fit the description practically perfectly.
3) The problem with your "myth" argument is that not only do all signs point to the Unown, there are literally no signs that point to anywhere else as far as I know of anyway. As in there's not really much to go on to interpret Arceus's "1000 arms" as anything else. In fact this is literally the only theory I know of that comes to the "1000 arms", most people brushing off 1000 arms as simply Pokedex non-sense. That's what I meant by default. Not necessarily that the "Unown" are the best answer, they seem to be the only answer and there's just no other way to interpret this myth as far as I know.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Because if the manga is showing us what the games show us, then both present us with the same evidence (or lack of)

2) Actually it does a lot in an obvious way which you just said yourself earlier. The Pokedex speaks of Arceus's 1000 arms as some-kind of extension crafting the universe right? It's not literally because Arceus doesn't have 1000 arms. There's no myth outside of the Pokedex that says that he literally has 1000 arms. In fact his "1000 arms" is an obvious and simple metaphor of A) a mass-ton of something and B) something that helped crafted the universe more up-close. By default, the only thing in Arceus's history that can be interpreted that way is literally the Unown. They are craftsmen (arms) that can create things as we've seen in the games, anime and Adventures manga and they are thousands probably billions of them (thousands). They fit the description practically perfectly.
3) The problem with your "myth" argument is that not only do all signs point to the Unown, there are literally no signs that point to anywhere else as far as I know of anyway. As in there's not really much to go on to interpret Arceus's "1000 arms" as anything else. In fact this is literally the only theory I know of that comes to the "1000 arms", most people brushing off 1000 arms as simply Pokedex non-sense. That's what I meant by default. Not necessarily that the "Unown" are the best answer, they seem to be the only answer and there's just no other way to interpret this myth as far as I know.

Look, I'm not arguing that Unown are not the "arms" of Arceus. I am not saying there is an alternate theory that is more likely, and I am not arguing that it is an invalid theory. I like the theory myself, and lean towards supporting it. All I'm saying is that we as fans have a responsibility to separate fan theory from actual facts. Fan theory is fun, interesting, and good (most of the time), but it should not be treated as fact. For all we know, Game Freak just randomly slapped the Unown on to that event without thinking about the implications or the consequence. We can guess at what Game Freaks intentions are, but that's all it is, guesses. Until (if ever) something more directly is stated in some official capacity, we can't assert it as fact

shoz999

This would actually make a lot of sense. Language is often associated with creation myths e.g. in Abrahamic religions god speaks the universe into existence. The fact that Unown are alphabet letters makes them more fitting.
1) I disagree completely of course. Yes the manga does give clear insight on what's already there but that's the point. It gives importance to the little details that most fans would otherwise look over it or maybe even treat such subtle detail as unimportant.
2) True but we also shouldn't ignore the facts behind the theory which do exist as mentioned. Otherwise, theorizing would be so boring if nothing concrete was behind it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
2) True but we also shouldn't ignore the facts behind the theory which do exist as mentioned. Otherwise, theorizing would be so boring if nothing concrete was behind it.

I think you responded to the wrong post.

Anyways, just don't state it as fact, and your good. Bring up the theory all you want. Discuss it all you want. Assume it's real, if that's what you want, just use the proper language that treats it as a theory and not a fact, or you're technically wrong.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Enough with this. The only thing Pokespe is canon to is itself and itself only.

Just because it tries to expand on vaguely portrayed game elements doesn't suddenly make that canon to the games.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Above: Perhaps, but occasionally non-game material has elements that end up in the central game canon. Silver being Giovanni's father was originally Pokemon Special only, however they later implied it in the FRLG post-game and confirmed it was canon to the games in HGSS. So don't count it out completely

It's often said that Ditto are failed Mew clones, but I'm wondering if it's the other way around and Mew are evolved Ditto. Ditto can copy other Pokemon through Transform. Perhaps over time, Ditto can learn how to incorporate DNA and other traits, eventually becoming stronger and more stable. Like Carbink, a mutation occurs and they become Mew. This might explain why, despite apparently being the ancestor of all Pokemon, Mew is regarded as the New Species Pokemon. Also, you know how Mew is considered a fetus? Ditto could come off as the more primitive and earlier state of development, that being stem cells. And Mewtwo completes it by being a fully grown being.

Even if I'm completely wrong, I still think that Ditto is effectively a living mass of stem cells. That's why it's formless and can copy anything, and also why it's relatively weak on its own and can't learn anything other than Transform. I suspect Smeargle and Eevee might have some close relation to Mew and Ditto, since the former can copy any move and the latter can evolve under more conditions than anything else

shoz999

I think you responded to the wrong post.

Anyways, just don't state it as fact, and your good. Bring up the theory all you want. Discuss it all you want. Assume it's real, if that's what you want, just use the proper language that treats it as a theory and not a fact, or you're technically wrong.
I'm not stating it as fact. I'm stating the evidence behind the theory as fact. That's what makes theorizing fun, interesting and obviously have more weight to it, such as yours or mine.

Enough with this. The only thing Pokespe is canon to is itself and itself only.

Just because it tries to expand on vaguely portrayed game elements doesn't suddenly make that canon to the games.
I'm going to have to completely disagree with that. Discounting adaptations in general is to also to discount the anime and manga altogether but I understand what your saying. You think I'm saying it's canon but that's not what I'm actually saying. I've never mentioned once it was canon. I'm saying through a reflection, we get to better understand the games in a possibility of ways based on how it's handled, especially the little details. Which is why I personally thought that not all of the stuff about Arceus from the manga contributed to the discussion. The scene where Unown appear to be coming from Arceus's body. That never happened in the games and I do not feel like it contributes the discussion. However, I do feel like that the writer's take on the little details that some people may or may not notice in the HGSS event, such as Arceus's command over the Unown and how they only appear during the creation process and disappear after it's finished only strengthen's what's happening in the games, show just how important these little details are from the games. Most people would've overlooked it but the manga, a reflection of the games, does give people ideas on how important this may actually be.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Some mammalian Pokemon go into hibernation when it gets cold, notably the Ursaring line.

Others migrate to warmer climates during the winter. Among those are the Crobat line.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Some Ice Pokemon might do the opposite. The reason why it's extremely difficult to get a Vanillite line in Unova outside of winter is because they migrate to colder climates

In desperation, Crabrawler will eat their own meaty claws. They're capable of launching them as a last-ditch effort attack, and I assume they can regenerate them.

shoz999

Left Side cheering: GO DEOXYS! GO DEOXYS GO DEOXYS! COME ON! DEOXYS!
Right Side cheering: MEWTWO!... MEWTWO!... MEWTWO!... MEWTWO!

The Dragon Ball Super: Broly fight song... stuck in my head lol...

147px-Organism_No_2_Speed_Forme.png

Anyways! Deoxys! He was one of the first Pokemon to possess a new Gen 3 concept called Form Change. Many young Pokemon fans found form change to be quite unique at the time, especially with the mysterious Deoxys who would later appear in Destiny Deoxys.

For those who stuck around during Gen 3, you may remember that Deoxys's forms are locked in separate games. In Ruby and Sapphire, it's normal form. In FireRed, it was attack form. In LeafGreen, it was defense form and finally in Emerald, it was Speed form. This is a concept that has been generally ignored and perhaps even long-forgotten by most fans except by the lore-obsessed Pokemon Adventure fans as the Pokemon Adventures actually gives out an interesting explanation for Deoxys's form change as to why it's locked to different games, or in this case different regions and that has to do with the Kanto and Hoenn's climate and is a topic that was actually explored previously through Groudon and Kyogre's disastrous effects on the environment by manipulating the climate and weather.

Pokemon adaptation or not, this should come no surprise to any video game Pokemon fans as climate has always been a common and key explanation for many form differences in Pokemon so while this is a theory, it's the most logical behind Deoxys's game-restricted forms at the time. What's interesting about the climate part here is that Deoxys can have access to all his forms by gaining the red and blue orb that controls Groudon and Kyogre acting as sort of a "meteorite" that bypasses the climate restrictions and it makes sense too since Groudon and Kyogre can manipulate the climate to disastrous effect. Although this is definitely one of the more creative liberties of Pokemon Adventures and not really a reflection of the games, it's an interesting topic of discussion. So what about the meteorites? Pokemon Adventures fans simply guess that because meteorites are otherworldy objects from space and not from any region, they have similar properties as the red and blue orbs in the manga, as in the region's climate has no effect on a meteorite-affected Deoxys, and you don't awaken Groudon or Kyogre. In fact, this is also a possible logical explanation for Deoxys's new more accessible form change feature in 4th gen and upwards.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Genderless Pokemon don't need Ditto to breed, however they cannot reproduce in a way to get you your egg without it. Here is some idea of how they might manage. Since the designation is actually "gender unknown", some of these Pokemon aren't actually genderless, they just have a gender that isn't male or female
  • Magnemite reproduce via budding or splitting
  • Staryu, Beldum, Rotom, Dhelmise have different genders from male or female, and reproduce in strange ways
  • Voltorb, Bronzor, Klink are born from electrical impulses giving strange life to objects
  • Ditto are gender fluid/hermaphrodites, and normally reproduce by budding. Assuming they aren't failed clones, that is, though if its both it explains why the population can sustain itself
  • Porygon, Baltoy, Golett are artificial in origin and built by man. Only a Ditto can replicate the process, though it's not as difficult and complex as artificial legendaries whom Ditto can't copy
  • Lunatone, Solrock, Carbink and Minior are minerals and rocks with strange life. They're silicon-based life forms that could be born from natural forces, a bizarre form of reproduction, or both.
  • Manaphy require a royal jelly of sorts to produce more Manaphy, or it will be a Phione
  • Cryogonal are born from ice and snow. They create cold environments

Shedinja are a sort of "clone" of Nincada/Ninjask. When a Nincada evolves, the Pokeball accidentally gives life to the shell by copying the personality and information of it. This is why Shedinja's personality and when it meets you, along with its moveset, is identical to Ninjask at their "birth"

Mewtwo isn't just modified because they wanted to make the Pokemon more powerful. The cloning process was imperfect, Mew DNA on its own couldn't sustain itself. There were gaps that needed to be filled with other Pokemon's DNA, which also served as a good excuse to enhance it. Genesect may have also suffered this and some of its cybernetics may be there to sustain the Pokemon's lifeforce, but not as severe since its been several years and research have improved the process.

Porygon's creation was funded by, and involved Team Rocket. You find Porygon the first time at the Game Corner at a steep prince, which Team Rocket owns. The Upgrade is their legal, harmless upgrade. The Dubious Disc, however, was made by Team Rocket explicitly to weaponize the Porygon line. With Team Rocket's decline, the company cancelled production. However they were already produced, and were eventually found again

The reason why Fossil Pokemon are all Rock types is one of two reasons, maybe both in some examples: to fill in gaps in the DNA ala Jurassic Park, and/or because only Rock types are hardy enough for their DNA to survive in fossils so they can be revived...at least by most sciences. Genesect required Team Plasma's additional finances, cybernetics and likely amoral experimentation to bring it back to life.

Last edited:

shoz999

Jirachi_Adventures.png

Jirachi from Pokemon Adventures is interesting. It's for the most part like it's anime counterpart. It appears only for a week after every thousands of years and sleeps during those thousands of years. When it opens it's eye, it grants wishes and can use the move Doom Desire but the most interesting aspect I find about the Adventures manga, and I don't recall if the movie did this, is how it takes into consideration of the Pokedex's entry of how Jirachi's wish-tags, the blue slips of paper on his head, grants wishes. Jirachi only grants wishes under these conditions. If Jirachi has wish-tags available and if it listens to the wisher and thereby opening it's third eye or if you force it's third eye to open as what the villain did. When you make a wish, the wish is magically written into Jirachi's wish-tags.

What I find most interesting from this is that Jirachi's biology just seems to be more magical and unexplained than other legendaries. The wish-tag aspect where the wishes are literally written into the wish-tags is mentioned in the Pokedex and in the Pokemon Adventures manga, it's shown to be in precise letters that you can't help but think that Jirachi is one of those Pokemons you really can't explain unlike Deoxys whose affected by climates. Although one other interesting aspect the manga did take into account is that Jirachi seems to require enough mass and energy to create certain wishes, the law of equivalent exchange. I'm not sure about the movie though since I recall Fake Groudon was created from a tiny piece of a fossil.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I believe that Jirachi originates from a comet, specifically the Millennium Comet. That's why it's only awake one week every thousand years

shoz999

I believe that Jirachi originates from a comet, specifically the Millennium Comet. That's why it's only awake one week every thousand years
Yeah but still doesn't explain his magical wish-tag powers, where his wish-tags are written indicating that the wish has been used up. Three wishes to be exact. You know I just realized Jirachi is probably the closest thing Pokemon has to Full Metal Alchemist's Philosopher's Stone lol. At least by Pokemon Adventures standards anyway.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
A number of fossil Pokemon date back to 300 million years ago. The Pokemon Genesect was revived from was an apex predator of this era. I think that the fossil Pokemon of that time period were hunted to extinction by the proto Genesect, who in turn died out because it had destroyed its own food supply. The fossil Pokemon from 100 million years ago were likely wiped out by an asteroid similar to the K.T extinction, though it's not obvious like 60 or even 65 million years ago

Bonsly and Sudowoodo don't only act like trees because of their vulnerability to water. They also do it because of their vulnerability to Grass type Pokemon. They pretend to be Grass types so actual Grass type Pokemon do not attack them. It's also a way of tricking predators that they're Grass and maybe something else, psyching them out and they don't know what to do

When the Ice Age ended, Mamoswine were poorly fit and those in that evolutionary line who stayed Piloswine were favored mates. As such, the Ancient Power move became a defunct remnant of their ancestry, making it unable to learn this move outside of a relearner. Mamoswine can't survive for long in the wild nowadays, but they can still prosper in captivity

shoz999

So this is something that not a lot of people know about Golurk, even the hardcore Pokemon fans here. I'm sure a lot of you know that Golurk can fly like a robot screaming "ROCKET PUNCH!" getting your inner childhood screaming in excitement. Well that's not actually the only thing Golurk can transform into. He can also transform into a cannon.

zjC6ImF.png

This feature has appeared in Pokepark 2: Wonders Beyond and while this is featured in a spin-off, this might actually be a real thing Golurk can do in the main series games as well. It's never been told through a Pokedex but this might be a feature of Golurk's because we actually see this feature again in Pokemon Adventures XY.

vaxoaGR.jpg

Now some of you are probably thinking this doesn't prove that Golurk can do this in the main series game. It doesn't prove it but it's definitely possible that Golurk is capable of this as it's literally just Golurk using his "internal energy" as stated in the Pokedex to fire like a cannon. However what's interesting is that these two different mediums do suggest a possibility, this type of action was taken from Golurk's concept art, Golurk's notes that GameFreak gave to the Pokemon anime studio, the Adventures manga artist, the spin-off guys to show how Golurk fights. For those who don't know, GameFreak sends concept art and notes on how Pokemon function to all sorts of groups working on adaptations and spin-offs and the fact that we see Golurk in this exact same cannon-position in two separate mediums does support this. However there's also a second possibility that the writer or artist of Pokemon Adventures just happened to play Pokepark 2 and saw Golurk turning into a cannon.

Either way this is pretty freaking cool.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Supporting that is the fact that Golurk is capable of learning Flash Cannon

I've always wondered if Ghost type Pokemon are even capable of dying from old age. Especially Pokemon that are literal ghosts like Yamask