• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

Gumzilla

A thread for anyone who wants to discuss stuff like which pokemon eats which, why a certain pokemon is a certain way or even what pokemon is related to what!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Guzzlord reminds me a lot of a black hole. First, the Dark type. Second, the fact it is a voracious eater. And of course, its droppings have never been found. As if everything just stops existing inside it. Like how whatever goes past the event horizon will NEVER return

AuroraBeam

I was always disappointed that Wartortle had its cute, fluffy looking tail & ears only to lose them upon becoming a Blastoise.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
mammalian Pokemon when not in daycare give live births and feed their milk to their young

Pikachu for example have litters of five Pichu typically, the mother rubs the Pichu's bellies after feeding to help them pass their waste (like real mice do)

keepitsimple

site of lies
mammalian Pokemon when not in daycare give live births and feed their milk to their young

Pikachu for example have litters of five Pichu typically, the mother rubs the Pichu's bellies after feeding to help them pass their waste (like real mice do)
??? Why would pokemon give live births outside of the daycare when they can already lay eggs? I think the thread was meant for things that are actually believable. It doesn't make sense that their way of reproducing would change depending on where they are.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Is breeding between different species rare in the wild? I suspect so. Most Pokemon you encounter in the wild lack egg moves, and you usually get egg moves from interspecies breeding.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Is breeding between different species rare in the wild? I suspect so. Most Pokemon you encounter in the wild lack egg moves, and you usually get egg moves from interspecies breeding.
Theoretically breeding should exist in the wild to allow Pokémon to have offspring to supplement the wild Pokémon population because there is some evidence that Pokémon do have deaths for example one NPC in Mt. Pyre mourning over the loss of a Skitty and the Marowak ghost in Lavender Town. But I do see why wild Pokémon don't usually have access to Egg Moves is because they tend to breed with their same species/same evolutionary line but that leaves behind a mystery for genderless and gender-exclusive Pokémon, especially in habitats where Ditto do not live. Some genderless Pokémon can form out of inorganic matter. The case should be much more fortunate for female-only Pokémon because they can interbreed to produce their own offspring whereas male-only Pokémon have to breed with Ditto to have their own offspring. But just how wild female-only Pokémon do not get Egg Moves is just as mind-boggling too.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Guzzlord reminds me a lot of a black hole. First, the Dark type. Second, the fact it is a voracious eater. And of course, its droppings have never been found. As if everything just stops existing inside it. Like how whatever goes past the event horizon will NEVER return

Of course that's what it reminds you of, seeing as it was designed with that specifically in mind.

I'm not sure if you're saying this is how it should be, or what you think is the case, but both are incorrect. Pokémon are not real-world animals. Pikachu may look like a mouse, but it is not a mouse, and it isn't a mammal either. You can't apply real-world animal classifications to Pokémon that strictly. All Pokémon give birth via eggs, not live births, that has been more than established.

This is only a guess on my part, but I would assume that cross-species breeding is something that usually only occurs in captivity. It's probably possible for it to happen in wild, and might occur from time to time, but in general, it does not.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Pikachu may look like a mouse, but it is not a mouse, and it isn't a mammal either. You can't apply real-world animal classifications to Pokémon that strictly. All Pokémon give birth via eggs, not live births, that has been more than established.

Um, monotremes lay eggs, and they're mammals. They even nurse their young like regular mammals.

Also, this is a fictional world where cats can shoot laser beams from their eyes. I don't think it's fair to say that they can't be classified with these terms simply because they don't follow real-world animals to the exact letter.

Game Freak isn't going to waste precious development time trying to program how Pokemon based on certain animals give birth. It's already illogical enough that eggs hatch into fully grown Pokemon (coughKangaskhancough), so realism clearly isn't their focus.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Years ago I stumbled over a theory that Jynx and the Hitmons are the female and male version of the same species. It explained that, from an evolutionary standpoint the males evolved into fighting Pokemon so they could protect the females and offspring from Dark Pokemon

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Um, monotremes lay eggs, and they're mammals. They even nurse their young like regular mammals.

Also, this is a fictional world where cats can shoot laser beams from their eyes. I don't think it's fair to say that they can't be classified with these terms simply because they don't follow real-world animals to the exact letter.

Sorry, I think my point got lost. I didn't mean to say that Pokémon can't be mammals because they lay eggs. My point was simply that Pokémon, being fictional creatures, aren't bound by the same rules we see in real animals, and since they're not bound by the same rules, it's dubious at best to try to classify them in the same way. It is because these are magical creatures that can shoot lasers from their eyes that we can't say Pokémon are bound by real-world rules of biology. Call it a mammal if you like, but don't expect it to follow the traditional rules of a mammal, seeing as Pokémon don'r follow the traditional rules of animals to begin with. Essentially, I'm saying that even if Pokémon like Pikachu look like real mammals, we can't automatically assume they follow the real-world equivalent, especially if it means contradicting what we directly see in Pokémon media.

Game Freak isn't going to waste precious development time trying to program how Pokemon based on certain animals give birth. It's already illogical enough that eggs hatch into fully grown Pokemon (coughKangaskhancough), so realism clearly isn't their focus.

True, and I am often the first to point out the fact that many logical inconsistencies seen in the games come from an over-simplicity due to game mechanics. However, media like the anime also show that all Pokémon hatch from eggs, and the anime is not bound by those same limitations. It has shown time and time again that it doesn't mind playing fast and loose with rules established in games in order to make the world feel more natural, and yet eggs still exist. I think it is safe to assume that no Pokémon gives live birth.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
You don't belong in this thread because this is for fan theories, and you can't seem to grasp that.

Moving on, Butterfree die after mating. That is what the anime won't tell you about their mating rituals, and why everyone was so sad to see Ash's Butterfree go.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
You don't belong in this thread because this is for fan theories, and you can't seem to grasp that.

I grasp that perfectly fine. A thread made for discussing theories isn't just about randomly posting theories, it's also about considering their value, and that includes the possibility of debunking them. Pointing out why a theory doesn't work is still discussing it. By their very nature, theories are meant to be challenged, and it's how well they stand up to these challenges that determine their worth.

Besides, theories are created by looking at all the available information and stringing them together in a logical way. Your "theories" lack any logical basis beyond simply thinking, "This is the way it works in real life, so it must work that way in Pokémon too," even though we know this is not the case by any means. If you don't want to see your "theories" challenged, then they should probably have a little more logic put into them.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I always assumed genderless Pokemon reproduce in the wild by something that'd be too long and tedious for the daycare to work with, so they just use Ditto. Like budding. Or in some cases, they're constructed

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The Empoleon line lives in societies similar to real penguins

AuroraBeam

I like to think that most legendaries in the none egg group, aside from a select few, are actually capable of reproduction. The life cycles are just so long and/or times for reproduction so scarce, compared to non legendaries, that it keeps the populations low enough to the point that people often consider them only legends.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I always thought legendaries and other No Egg group Pokemon reproduced in a fantastical way. Some already are established as coming into being a fantastic way, and are based on fantastic things:
* Mewtwo-Genetically modified clone. It might have made Mewtwo sterile
* Unown and the Type: Null line-Given what they are, it's possible they may be unable to create more of themselves. Genesect might be sterile as a consequence of its cybernetics and how it was resurrected
* The Beast Trio-Raised from the dead by a rainbow phoenix. Ho-oh, said rainbow phoenix, may be like actual phoenixes where it dies and a new Ho-oh emerges from the ashes
* Celebi-Some dex entries suggest it
* Regi trio-Established as being artificial constructs, so I'm sure they're truly genderless and unable to reproduce.
* Eon duo-The movie they first showed up in states they have parents, so they likely reproduce normally and the Daycare Center can't fit the conditions needed
* Weather trio-They were formed at the dawn of the world. It's possible Earth is no longer in the right condition to form them
* Deoxys-Already established as being a mutated virus. And viruses need to hijack another organism to reproduce
* Lake and Creation trio-They were made by Pokemon's creator god. That, and the primordial chaos that Arceus emerged from, probably prevents them being made in any other way
* Tao trio-Already established as being split off from one being.
* Xerneas and Yveltal-As the Pokemon representing life and death/destruction, it's possible they are the manifestation of such and have existed as long as life/death has
* Cosmog line-We actually see it being created

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I like to think that most legendaries in the none egg group, aside from a select few, are actually capable of reproduction. The life cycles are just so long and/or times for reproduction so scarce, compared to non legendaries, that it keeps the populations low enough to the point that people often consider them only legends.

It's really even beyond the point of doubt that Legendaries can offspring. Even if you want to ignore the anime and Pokédex entries entirely, for some reason, Sun and Moon flat-out shows Cosmog being born. Look into the anime, and you see stuff like the baby Lugia in Johto. It's pretty clear that a good amount of Legendaries can indeed breed, just don't do so in captivity. I would go as far as to say that if a Legendary's lore doesn't outright forbid it from breeding, such as being a god like Arceus or created via a specific process like Reshiram and Zekrom, then it probably can breed in some way.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Then you have the fact that the same legendary can be obtained in multiple games, which is true of most legendaries.

Speaking of legendaries and mythicals, most Pokemon of those categories from a specific region are often regarded as region-specific Gods (like Articuno is Kanto's God of Ice, Kyogre is a God in Hoenn), similar to the multiple Gods in certain other religions. Arceus is the God of all the Pokemon world (although there are some people in the Kanto region who follow Mew instead, this is a new religious movement).