• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Then you have the fact that the same legendary can be obtained in multiple games, which is true of most legendaries.

Given the way Pokémon games are set up, it's probably safe to assume that the reason you can catch the same Legendary in multiple games isn't as much about the fact that there are multiple of that Legendary, but more because the first one was never caught in the first place. By that, I mean to say that the capturing of a Legendary in any given game is to be considered a non-canon event to future games, which take place in an alternate timeline where the Legendary wasn't captured. For example, it's probably safe to assume that there's only one Palkia, seeing as it's a literal god, (maybe two, if you want to count the Arceus event in Heart Gold/Soul Silver, but that's the maximum) and yet we can capture Palkia in Pearl/Platinum, Omega Ruby, and Ultra Moon. Obviously there's not three Palkia running about. The way to resolve this is to have it so that in the continuity of Omega Ruby and Ultra Moon, the player character from Pearl/Platinum never captured Palkia in the first place. The events of the game may have occurred, but the character chose not to capture the Pokémon.

If you want a more practical example, Red, in canon events, probably never caught Mewtwo (or any other Legendary, for that matter), or else he would likely use it against you in (Heart) Gold/(Soul) Silver and (Ultra) Sun/Moon, despite the fact that nearly anyone playing as Red most likely did capture Mewtwo.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
It would be interesting if there were a Supernatural-like spinoff of the Pokemon anime exploring the mythologies surrounding the Legendaries and the Mythicals (like SPN does for other mythical creatures).

Leonhart

Imagineer
mammalian Pokemon when not in daycare give live births and feed their milk to their young

Speaking of which, I still dislike the whole egg laying process in the games since it doesn't make much sense for every mammalian-like Pokemon to be able to produce eggs.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Speaking of which, I still dislike the whole egg laying process in the games since it doesn't make much sense for every mammalian-like Pokemon to be able to produce eggs.

It doesn't make sense for a mouse to shoot electricity from its cheeks either. Clearly Pokémon biology is different from real-world animal biology.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I thought after showing you that link you would have learned your lesson.

Many snake Pokemon are often found in desert areas.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I thought after showing you that link you would have learned your lesson.

The link that lead what was basically a glorified list of head canons with little to no evidence behind them? No, didn't teach me any lesson. Would you care to explain what lesson you wanted it to teach me?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Platypi are mammals, they lay eggs

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Platypi are mammals, they lay eggs
Platypi are monotremes because they have fur, feed their young with milk, are endothermic like mammals and yeah they lay eggs like lizards. So appling the biological sense, therefore all mammalian Pokémon are monotremes because as well as having hair or fur coverings rather than hard skin they also have the ability to lay eggs.

AuroraBeam

The pokedex mentions the bulb on bulbasaur's back was planted there as a seed at birth. Female venasaur have seeds in the tops of their flowers. I like to think it's the mother venasaur that plants it for her offspring from her own flower.

I don't know if this counts as a theory. It could also just be a possibility that the female venasaur's sprite/model is making a direct reference to the 'dex & I'm making a big deal out of something that's obvious.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The pokedex mentions the bulb on bulbasaur's back was planted there as a seed at birth. Female venasaur have seeds in the tops of their flowers. I like to think it's the mother venasaur that plants it for her offspring from her own flower.

I don't know if this counts as a theory. It could also just be a possibility that the female venasaur's sprite/model is making a direct reference to the 'dex & I'm making a big deal out of something that's obvious.
That would explain why Venusaur is one of the only starter Pokemon with gender differences

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

Funnily enough, the main reason Ultra Beasts are considered in the Undiscovered Egg Group is because they reproduce without laying conventional eggs. Nihilego for example reproduce by producing polyps, as confirmed in their concept art.

Gumzilla

So after looking at three specific evo lines I realized something!
250px-282Gardevoir.png
250px-475Gallade.png
250px-576Gothitelle.png
250px-625Bisharp.png

I think there might be a common ancestor to all these Pokemon and it could be the Ralts line itself with the Pawniard line originating from Gallade and the Gothita line coming from Gardevoir. This might be a bit obvious and I'm an idiot but whatever it's stil fun to think about.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Zangoose and Seviper hate each other because it is the expected response when mongooses prey on snakes. When the feud first started in ancient times Zangoose were always winning because Seviper were their main source of food, their Immunity ability prevented them from getting poisoned.

Later, Seviper developed traits that made them more legit contenders in battles with Zangoose.

It was not before long that humans discovered the two Pokemon and their rivalry. To this day, scores of people still debate (both in the real world and in the Pokemon world) which of the two species is better.

Two major colleges in Hoenn have the Pokemon as their respective mascots, and engage in an all-sports rivalry which is very heated. Fights between fans of both colleges can get real nasty.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've always wondering if Fossil Pokemon are all Rock types either because of the process of bringing them back, or only Rock type Pokemon can be restored back to life with the fossil research(secret Plasma research notwithstanding)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I've always wondering if Fossil Pokemon are all Rock types either because of the process of bringing them back, or only Rock type Pokemon can be restored back to life with the fossil research(secret Plasma research notwithstanding)

I've always assumed that Fossil Pokémon date back to a time in history where most, if not all, Pokémon (at least the non-Legendary ones) were Rock-Types. Evidence for this theory can be seen with Relicanth, which is also a Rock-Type. Due to it being dubbed "The Living Fossil" and being explicitly stated to have existed during the time of the Fossil Pokémon, and never having gone through the fossilization process, it having a Rock-Type in combination with all the Fossil Pokémon having the Rock-Type suggests that it was natural for Pokémon from that era to have the Rock-Type.

I've always thought the theory that the restoration process turns them into Rock-Types was a bit silly, but I had never thought of the possibility that only Rock-Types can be restored. That's an interesting idea, and doesn't have as many problems as the turning into Rock-Type theory does.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Maybe in the next Gen we'll see a ancient-era electric rodent (Electric/Rock-type) that existed during the era of the fossil Pokes, but is still extant to this day (a la Relicanth).

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It's because most fossils in real life were found in rock.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's because most fossils in real life were found in rock.

That's the out-of-universe reason, RedJirachi was asking about the biological (in-universe) reason.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That's the out-of-universe reason, RedJirachi was asking about the biological (in-universe) reason.
Pokémon is a fictional franchise after all, so reasons for why certain things are so within the franchise can be explained with a real-life reason because of the heavy influence of the subject of biology on Pokémon. However this doesn't stop some fans from being so interested in the franchise that due to the differences between the Pokémon universe and reality that they establish their own sets of theories on the mechanisms of the Pokémon world.

Whether these Pokémon were Rock-type or not prior to their revival, we don't know for the majority of cases, but Mega Aerodactyl's Ultra Moon Pokédex entry states that Aerodactyl was once covered in sharp rocks, which means that Aerodactyl would have had the Rock typing for the whole time. On the other hand, according to Tyrunt's Ultra Sun Pokédex entry, its restored form is different from its original form, whether it may be changes to its appearance or even its typing. While the Pokémon is forming a fossil, there is the possibility of minerals replacing some of the tissue of the original specimen, essentially incorporating the mineral as part of their body, and when they are restored, these minerals remain embedded into the Pokémon and what gives fossil Pokémon the Rock-typing.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pokémon is a fictional franchise after all, so reasons for why certain things are so within the franchise can be explained with a real-life reason because of the heavy influence of the subject of biology on Pokémon. However this doesn't stop some fans from being so interested in the franchise that due to the differences between the Pokémon universe and reality that they establish their own sets of theories on the mechanisms of the Pokémon world.

Of course there are out-of-universe explanations for everything, that's not the point though. Pokémon is a world with its own internal logic. Every choice made out-of-universe has an in-universe consequence. We're talking about those in-universe consequences here, not the out-of-universe decisions.