• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
In the wild, Pokemon based on canines will generally protect any nearby Pokemon based on animals preyed upon by Pokemon based on felines, as canid Pokemon usually do not get along with feline Pokemon. An example would be a mother Lycanroc, in addition to watching over her Rockruff pups, protecting a nearby mother Pikachu and her Pichu litter from Alolan Meowth and Persian.

One exception to the canine/feline rivalry has been recorded. A Litten became friends with an elderly Stoutland, and stuck with him until the day of Stoutland's passing. Litten then joined Ash's team.

In captivity under ownership of the same trainer, canine and feline Pokemon usually get along.

Gumzilla

In the wild, Pokemon based on canines will generally protect any nearby Pokemon based on animals preyed upon by Pokemon based on felines
ethiopian_wolf_eating_rat.jpg

Riiiiiight.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Pokemon world doesn't always conform to the real world as has been said in other posts. I've seen other fictional works where canines protect rodents from felines too.

In the wild, forest-dwelling Pokemon fear Charizard for its reputation of unintentionally starting forest fires.

Berries are eaten whole. Even the seeds, which come out during the other end of the digestive process, allowing them to be spread across the land so they can grow into new Berry-sprouting trees.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Pokemon world doesn't always conform to the real world as has been said in other posts.

I'm going to quote this back to you next time you post something that goes directly against established Pokémon lore, with your only reason being that that's the way it works in real life.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
A number of Pokemon species have relationships that mutually benefits members of both species.

Sometimes wild Pokemon share food.

AuroraBeam

This is probably better considered "pokemon ecology" than biology; but I like to think wild pokemon level up through fighting each other (and unlucky trainers), be it through practice sparring in more social species or actual competition for resources in less social species. They keep their health up through diets of a variety of the highly medicinal Berries that we find.

Gumzilla

Let's quickly note what Pokemon eats what. They've established many predators in Pokemon and there are some we can assume based on what animal a Pokemon is based off. For example we can assume Persians will attack and eat Pikachus since those two are based on animals with a predator prey relationship.

AuroraBeam

Most pokemon will tend to follow real-world similarities in diet with perhaps a bit more leeway to being able to eat plant matter (berries) w/o issues that real-world carnivores would have. Or maybe the specific berries we see and pokemon have had an evolutionary history where even pokemon that seem like obigate carnivores can eat PokeBerries no problem but giving your Persian something like a house lily can have ill effects.

Gumzilla

We know Sableye and Gabite eats Carbink thanks to some dex entries. Snorlax almost eats Misty's Goldeen. Also the pidgey line eats bug types.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
We know Sableye and Gabite eats Carbink thanks to some dex entries. Snorlax almost eats Misty's Goldeen. Also the pidgey line eats bug types.
And then there are Pidgeotto who eat Magikarp too. But it's interesting to find out the food chains in the Pokémon universe to have some idea who eats who.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Everybody eats Magikarp, that's part of why Gyarados is so pissed off.
That can explain why Magikarp are so commonly found in the Pokémon universe while Gyarados are much rarer.

AuroraBeam

On the other hand, I can easily see gyarados being cannibals too. Maybe it be like crocodilians or bears, where the mother is a fierce protector of her brood but nonrelated, roaming gyarados see a potential meal.

Gumzilla

I wonder what Mawile eats. I had a theory where Mawile uses reflection on the teeth of its second mouth or holding gems in it to attract Sableye. Once Sableye gets to close Mawile has a meal.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

The anime claims that Magikarp are practically inedible to most, due to it being mostly scales and bones with little meat. One of the only times that the eating of Pokémon has been implied in the anime.

Gumzilla

Onix and Steelix might prey on the Geodude line since they eat rocks. Much like how Sableye and Gabite prey on Carbink.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I always thought Gyarados were angry because they're insecure about being mocked and weak as Magikarp, and want to get revenge on the world.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I always thought Gyarados were angry because they're insecure about being mocked and weak as Magikarp, and want to get revenge on the world.
Yeah I can definitely see it as that. It can as well be a defence mechanism of Gyarados to protect their Magikarp population.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Yeah I can definitely see it as that. It can as well be a defence mechanism of Gyarados to protect their Magikarp population.
The other defense mechanism is probably "reproduce like crazy so there's no way they can't all be wiped out"