• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Some Pokemon are hunted for things like fur, like their real-life animal counterparts. I surmise you could say Vulpix and Ninetales are among the Pokemon hunted for their fur. This kind of Pokemon hunting has been denounced by Pokemon rights organizations.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I've always wondered if Ghost type Pokemon are even capable of dying from old age. Especially Pokemon that are literal ghosts like Yamask

The common interpretation of Ghost Pokémon is that they are not actually ghosts or spirits, just biological organisms that mimic the typical attributes of ghosts. Even Pokémon like Yamask have to be questioned if they're actually literal ghosts, as the Pokédex tends to exaggerate and quote rumor, myth, and legend.

If this is actually the case, then it would probably mean that Ghost-Types are no more immune to age than any other Pokémon. Perhaps some have great longevity, but they're not immortal.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Pokemon like Blaziken and Miltank, based on chickens and cows, are also harvested and processed into meat in the Pokemon world for human consumption, like the real-life animals.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The common interpretation of Ghost Pokémon is that they are not actually ghosts or spirits, just biological organisms that mimic the typical attributes of ghosts. Even Pokémon like Yamask have to be questioned if they're actually literal ghosts, as the Pokédex tends to exaggerate and quote rumor, myth, and legend.

If this is actually the case, then it would probably mean that Ghost-Types are no more immune to age than any other Pokémon. Perhaps some have great longevity, but they're not immortal.
Well the only immortal Ghost Pokémon I can think of is Giratina since it is a legendary and has been mentioned in Sinnoh mythology for centuries and this being said for not appearing outside of the Distortion World for a really long time until the events of Platinum.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It's ambiguous what are and aren't ghosts in the Pokemon world. I always thought that Gastly were the ghosts of Pokemon since you first found them at a Pokemon gravesite. Yes, I know breeding's a thing, but I tend not to apply all those game mechanics to the lore since Kangaskhan makes no sense if you do

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's ambiguous what are and aren't ghosts in the Pokemon world.

At least in the anime, they tend to make it pretty clear. There are plenty of episodes where Ash and friends are terrified of the "ghosts" that haunt whatever the spooky place of the day is, but once they find out that it's actually Ghost-Type Pokémon then everything is okay. If Ghost-Types were actual ghosts, then they would still be just as scared. Real ghosts also appear from time to time, and they are clearly very different from Ghost-Type Pokémon.

I always thought that Gastly were the ghosts of Pokemon since you first found them at a Pokemon gravesite.

That goes with what I said earlier. Ghost-Types are likely just imitating what would be traditionally considered a ghost, such as favoring to live in spooky locations like grave-sites.

Yes, I know breeding's a thing, but I tend not to apply all those game mechanics to the lore since Kangaskhan makes no sense if you do

I do fully agree with that. Breeding in the games is very clearly just an artificial construct of game mechanics, and not actually indicative of how Pokémon reproduce.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It's ambiguous what are and aren't ghosts in the Pokemon world. I always thought that Gastly were the ghosts of Pokemon since you first found them at a Pokemon gravesite. Yes, I know breeding's a thing, but I tend not to apply all those game mechanics to the lore since Kangaskhan makes no sense if you do
One thing I really do like about Pokemon Adventures representation of Ghost-type Pokemon, and this is pretty obvious but is rarely acknowledged or talked about, is that the limit of their imagination into toying and scaring people with illusions is all heavily dependent on their limited knowledge, usually based on their surroundings, and this is best seen with Rotom who scares Dia (Lucas) and Pearl (Barry) by creating illusions based on it's knowledge of villain tropes from a mecha anime it saw on TV. I like this little included detail because it states that a ghost-types abilities, outside of move sets, do indeed have rules that ghost-types have to obey.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Nah, that's because Pokemon, much like dogs, are good by nature

Orphalesion

At least in the anime, they tend to make it pretty clear. There are plenty of episodes where Ash and friends are terrified of the "ghosts" that haunt whatever the spooky place of the day is, but once they find out that it's actually Ghost-Type Pokémon then everything is okay. If Ghost-Types were actual ghosts, then they would still be just as scared. Real ghosts also appear from time to time, and they are clearly very different from Ghost-Type Pokémon.
That goes with what I said earlier. Ghost-Types are likely just imitating what would be traditionally considered a ghost, such as favoring to live in spooky locations like grave-sites.

Truth be told that has always been the way I prefer to see Ghost types as well.

Though it would be interesting whether Ghost Pokemon imitate the traditional idea of ghosts, or whether the traditional idea of ghosts arose from observation and misinterpretation of Ghost Pokemon. Though at least in the games there seem to be "actual" ghosts as well, considering the Marowak ghost in Gen One and that "ghost girl" in Kalos.

I find it possible that Ghost Pokemon, somehow evolved to feed on emotions, mostly fear and grief/sadness, explaining why they'd congregate at grave sites. In the same way I find it reasonable to speculate that the Pokedex entries of Ghost Types who are said to eat "souls" are also just a misinterpretation of the tendency of Ghost types to live off of emotional energies.
(I know Japanese culture has different ideas about the human soul and that it is very malleable and destructible in that mythology, but I can't help that I grew up in a more Western mindset...)

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Ghost Pokémon form from anything from tsukumogami to wayward children's souls to raw hate to owls.

There are no rules except throw real-world mythology at the wall and hope it sticks.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What if there are evil Pokemon, but they are imprisoned or "dealt with" because they're a rarity?

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
What if there are evil Pokemon, but they are imprisoned or "dealt with" because they're a rarity?
The only truly evil Pokémon I can think of are the Malamar from the anime. I have a theory that they come from an alternate future where Team Flare wins and launches the Ultimate Weapon which causes an apocalyptic world where Pokémon are suffering as a result and the Malamar are trying to prevent it with a sinister intention of killing all humans.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
If Pokemon have free will, then logically there should be a Pokemon as monstrous as Hunter J

RedJirachi

Veteran member
You mean like evil for personal greed, nothing that characterizes that Pokemon as the victim in someway right?
Yes, that's exactly what I mean

shoz999

Yes, that's exactly what I mean
Nothing comes to mind then unless you count Pokemon influenced by trainers as evil or worst than Hunter J.

Speaking of ruthless Pokemon, you know what's quite a tricky Pokemon to fight? Starmie and it's once-signature move Camouflage.

In the games, Camouflage changes the Pokemon's type based on it's surroundings. In Pokemon Adventures, they take it literally to an extant in that Pokemon can camouflage in it's background by changing it's type, such as here where Starmie changes into a rock-type, making it difficult for even an Elite Four member to see. What I like about the Pokemon Adventures version is that Sird uses the move "camouflage" quite effectively, ending Pokemon battles quite shortly. In the Pokemon anime, the move Camouflage does make an appearance through Stunfisk and it acts the exact same way in how Camouflage works in Pokemon Adventures. Makes you wonder if GameFreak has notes lying around for the guys responsible for the adaptations that these moves function a different way from how they are in the games.

54snF7k.jpg

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
In the games, Camouflage copies the opponent's type but in Pokemon Adventures,

Just to be clear, it changes the user's type to match the environment, not the opponent's type. You're probably thinking of Reflect Type.

Makes you wonder if GameFreak has notes lying around for the guys responsible for the adaptations that these moves function a different way from how they are in the games.

I think it's more just that it's the logical way to interpret the move. Between the name and the effect of changing your type to match the environment, it's pretty clear that the idea is that the Pokémon is blending in with it surroundings, and therefore taking on the type most associated with it. That's just the basic idea of what the attack is, no special note needed.

Also, that "flicker" in the image you posted has made me very uncomfortable, as the the L and I seemingly blend together to form a U.

shoz999

Just to be clear, it changes the user's type to match the environment, not the opponent's type. You're probably thinking of Reflect Type.

I think it's more just that it's the logical way to interpret the move. Between the name and the effect of changing your type to match the environment, it's pretty clear that the idea is that the Pokémon is blending in with it surroundings, and therefore taking on the type most associated with it. That's just the basic idea of what the attack is, no special note needed.

Also, that "flicker" in the image you posted has made me very uncomfortable, as the the L and I seemingly blend together to form a U.
Looked it up, I'm thinking of Reflect Type. As for the other thing, huh. Never noticed that before which is funny because I liked the little detail of Starmie making it's presence known by flickering it's red-eye, like a red-eyed robot in the shadows only it's camouflaging in your very surroundings. Well I changed it to the Japanese release if that makes you uncomfortable.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
As for the other thing, huh. Never noticed that before which is funny because I liked the little detail of Starmie making it's presence known by flickering it's red-eye, like a red-eyed robot in the shadows only it's camouflaging in your very surroundings. Well I changed it to the Japanese release if that makes you uncomfortable.

It wasn't a problem. Mostly said that as a joke, as that was what my eyes were involuntarily drawn to when I first looked at it. It's just some unfortunate font and letter orientation.