• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
UqrT169.png
6fBFOK9.png

Many Pokemon fans know Arbok from the anime as one of Jessie's Pokemon, often displayed as a weak comical Pokemon that gets blasted away by Pikachu but the Arbok depicted in Pokemon Adventures, specifically Agatha's Arbok, is much more terrifying. This is because it faithfully follows the Pokemon games depiction of Arbok through it's Pokedex entry.

Pokedex (DPPt) - The pattern on its belly is for intimidation. It constricts foes when they are frozen in fear.
Pokedex (US) The latest research has determined that there are over 20 possible arrangements of the patterns on its stomach.

This Pokedex entry speaks of how terrifying it's belly facial-like patterns are and how it can change since Gen 1 and has been a common staple of Arbok's Pokedex entry to this day and to my knowledge this has only been featured in Pokemon Adventures which gives us an idea of how it functions. In the left image is Koga's Arbok which features the original Arbok pattern that we know from the games and anime but in the right image features Agatha's Arbok which has changed it's facial pattern. In the games, Arbok has gained the ability "Intimidate" which is supposed to represent these facial patterns but the Adventures manga takes it a leap further before abilities were introduced in Gen 3. Not only does it terrify Pokemon but Arbok is pretty much immune to facial moves like glare or scary face by changing it's facial patterns to copy those facial moves, such as above where it combats glare by changing it's facial patterns into a glare-like facial pattern. However keep in mind, this is Gen 1 back when Pokemon adaptations were more experimental as Adventures also features Agatha's Arbok having the ability to raise it's own stat depending on other facial patterns.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Arceus and the creation trio are super-dimensional entities who exist on a higher plane of existence. You can't actually catch or subjugate the real thing, but the Pokemon is actually a 3 dimensional cross-section of the real entity

shoz999

Arceus and the creation trio are super-dimensional entities who exist on a higher plane of existence. You can't actually catch or subjugate the real thing, but the Pokemon is actually a 3 dimensional cross-section of the real entity
You saw the Legendary and Mythical Pokemon Battle Royale too?

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
In multi-stage lines, many evolved mammalian Pokemon have thicker coats of fur than their unevolved forms, reflecting the fact that fur gets thicker as a real life mammal matures.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
This goes into Pokemon psychology, but I believe one of the reasons why Sudowoodo disguise themselves as trees is reverse psychology on types they're weak too. Grass type and Water type Pokemon are fooled into thinking it resists instead of being weak to their types, so they choose not to fight them. That was they eliminate two major threats. And it would let them take Fire and Bug type Pokemon as prey, since they assume they're vulnerable Grass Pokemon only to get a nasty surprise

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Mammalian Pokemon really enjoy being petted and brushed.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Meltan reproduce by Melmetal budding off little blobs of itself

shivaa

Mewtwo is cloned from Mew's DNA, found on a supposed fossil lash. The staging of the Uncut Story Of Mewtwo's Origin mini-film suggests that it is not really a fossil, but the eye of a living Mew.
As for Genesect, it has been revived from a fossil. Knowing the practical purpose of the maneuver, it would not be surprising that the Team Plasma has manually removed its type Roche, to replace it with the type Steel. After all, a cannon was added to him.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Originally it was stated Mewtwo was born from Mew like an actual clone, but they went to sci-fi tube over time because it's more kid-friendly and back then Pokemon was more "Earth, but with super creatures". I assume that game-wise it was cells from a living Mew. Faraway Island implies this in the fragmented dialogue with Mr Fuji; probably something like a cheek scraping. Genesect is specifically stated to be modified, so a type shift wouldn't be surprising. The Steel type is likely just the actual cybernetics. It makes me wonder how much of the original creature they lopped off and replaced with cybernetics

derekrandall

I had a odd thought which may have already been addressed in this thread, I only skimmed, but when people eat meat in the anime and otherwise what is the meat from? A kind of Pokémon? Or is there non-sentient chickens, pigs and cows? Lol. Or is everyone a vegetarian?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I had a odd thought which may have already been addressed in this thread, I only skimmed, but when people eat meat in the anime and otherwise what is the meat from? A kind of Pokémon? Or is there non-sentient chickens, pigs and cows? Lol. Or is everyone a vegetarian?
Well, there were real animals in early Kanto, but they haven't been seen since. However, the games still mention real world locations with Pokedex entries such as Raichu's, so it could be presumed that they simply don't bother showing animals since Pokemon are far more interesting. On the other hand, Slowpoke tails are edible and part of a TR plot in GS is to sell them.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Quite a few other pokemon can also have parts of their bodies eaten with no real harm to the pokemon (as they just grow back), like Crawdaunt, Crabrawler and Clauncher's pincers. All three of them have their claws just fall off sometimes, and the pincer flesh of the latter two are quite popular.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think it's an exaggeration of how some animals can regrow limbs

The crystal in Deoxys' chest isn't just a brain/heart. Its the crystallized version of the meteor Deoxys originated on as a virus, altered by a laser. This also plays a part in its ability to regenerate from even the most grievous wounds, so long as the core isn't damaged. Maybe the reason it keeps feuding with Rayquaza in various media is because the meteorites Rayquaza eats are actually larval Deoxys

Corsola are able to snap off pieces of their coral without any injury to themselves. They do this so if a Mareanie or Toxapex tries to eat them, they can break one off to escape. Like how some lizards can drop their tail if caught by a predator.

shoz999

I think it's an exaggeration of how some animals can regrow limbs

The crystal in Deoxys' chest isn't just a brain/heart. Its the crystallized version of the meteor Deoxys originated on as a virus, altered by a laser. This also plays a part in its ability to regenerate from even the most grievous wounds, so long as the core isn't damaged. Maybe the reason it keeps feuding with Rayquaza in various media is because the meteorites Rayquaza eats are actually larval Deoxys

Corsola are able to snap off pieces of their coral without any injury to themselves. They do this so if a Mareanie or Toxapex tries to eat them, they can break one off to escape. Like how some lizards can drop their tail if caught by a predator.
Pretty much. In the Pokemon Adventures manga, Deoxys is overpoweringly strong surpassing Pokemon like Mewtwo and is even strong enough to challenge Mega Rayquaza. This is because unlike the games, he can have fast access to all his forms and from a competitive standpoint, he basically has access to all his best stats paired with many of his abilities stated from the Pokedex such as control of Aurora lights and regeneration. Sounds pretty OP, maybe even downright broken right? Well Deoxys does have one very extreme disadvantage. The source of his abilities, his crystal, is also his kryptonite, his greatest weakness. If his crystal were to get a powerful blow, that could instantaneously KO Deoxys or at the very least weaken him greatly.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Dark theory: if Sableye are desperate and starving, they will cannibalize the eyes of other Sableye to survive. Less dark theory: Sableye are capable of regrowing lost eyes. Their gems are from their gem diet, and their eyes are gems. Sweet theory: Sableye attract mates with gems-the rarer, bigger and shinier, the more attractive.

Orphalesion

I remembered I once saw a theory that the Hitmons are the male members of Jynx' species. I know nothing in the games suggest this, but I the theory reasoned that the males of the species became fighting types in order to protect the females and offspring against Dark Types. I thought that was a neat idea since you know, the Hitmons are always male with no obvious female counterpart and Jynx are always female without an obvious male counterpart.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Quite a few other pokemon can also have parts of their bodies eaten with no real harm to the pokemon (as they just grow back), like Crawdaunt, Crabrawler and Clauncher's pincers. All three of them have their claws just fall off sometimes, and the pincer flesh of the latter two are quite popular.
Wasn’t it said once that Kingler’s claws could also regenerate if lost? I don’t remember if it was said in the anime or the games.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
The Tynamo line use Levitate to "swim" on air, since without it they are terrible at moving on land. I think they used to be seafaring Pokemon, but habitats like Chargestone Cave dried out and they had to attack. On that note, I also think Gible is not far removed from the sea. Look at their line, and look at Carvahna and Sharpedo. I think they are close evolutionary speaking(Darwinian)-they're types of sharks, they take some design influence, and they have a habit of biting. Also, their Hidden Ability is a normal ability of the Carvahna line.