• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon biology

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

I've always found the Porygon line to be an interesting one, specifically it's capabilities outside of traveling in virtual space. I think we all know that Porygon can travel in virtual space but as demonstrated in Pokemon Adventures, something like Ash's Muk attempting to suffocate Porygon would just not work. Porygon is a resilient if not almost nigh-indestructible Pokemon that is capable of surviving in any extreme environment that would be lethal to most Pokemon & humans including outer space. It's a man-made Pokemon that does not need to breathe oxygen and does not need to eat to survive.

Porygon2 is a scarily interesting one because not only does it gains the resilience of Porygon before it but it's intelligence is enhanced to the point that it's able to do things outside of it's programming including learning new behaviors that you have to wonder, is this artificial intelligence like the Pokedex claims or is this real intelligence.

Finally there's Porygon-Z which I find especially interesting around the time of Gen 7. Porygon-Z was designed to have the function of traveling through alien wormholes as in this Pokemon was supposed to have a power similar to that of Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma and in a way this makes sense as Porygon's next evolution. Porygon was a Pokemon designed to survive in extreme environments including Outer Space and it's able to travel through virtual space so the next natural step after Porygon2 is alien environments that are beyond human understanding. Unfortunately Porygon-Z's dubious disc contained a dubious error, who would've seen that coming lol? It's implied in the Pokedex that this power never came into fruition but it's nevertheless pretty interesting because it's possible that whoever was working on the dubious disc was also perhaps researching on Ultra Wormholes. It would've been cool if Gen 7 explored this little detail about Porygon-Z.

There is one animal that the Porygon-line does remind me of and that is the Tardigrade which like Porygon is also an indestructible organism that is able to survive extreme environments including outer space but the obvious difference between the two is that's a micro-animal that suspends it's metabolism, Porygon is a man-made Pokemon designed to be indestructible.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I have no idea what Porygon is supposed to be made out of if it's from the virtual world. Is some sort of hologram that can mimic solid objects so perfectly it fools all five senses?

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
The study of Pokemon is referred to as Pokeology.

The branch that deals with mammalian Pokemon is called Pokemammology. Other branches have similar names to the real life studies, but with the prefix "Poke-" in front of them.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Real life animals don't seem to exist in Pokemon, so why the prefix?

Part of why Mimikyu's true form is so horrifying is that its own internal resentment and envy manifests physically

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I just learned something new. Apparently Zygarde Complete Form can fly lol like Golurk, that or jump insanely high.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
It's semi-canon that Voltorb are some sort of Pokeball that came alive. This also reflects the tsukinchko concept. This makes me wonder about Foongus, a clearly organic Pokemon, having the same theme. It lures prey in with it. Pokeballs haven't existed forever, so why did they develop it in nature? My guess is that they only recently started resembling Pokeballs. Some Foongus endup looking like Pokeballs, which was very rare but still something that could happen. However they outbred and out-competed all the other Foongus once Pokeballs became a common thing. Of course, this makes one wonder what their prey is.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
This thread is fun as heck.

Gogoat milk is much more nutritious than Moomoo milk; having more vitamins than the latter, is easier to digest, and contains less lactose. It's rather sought for in Kalos in of itself since that's Gogoat's native region and is the product of their cheeses and whatnot. Nursing Skiddo rarely if ever suffer nutritional deficiency, and it makes their horns especially strong too to the point of never breaking.
Breeders/caretakers for baby/newly hatched Pokemon usually have it in their stocks because of its nutrition and health benefits, and especially for those who take in orphaned Pokemon.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
This thread is fun as heck.

Gogoat milk is much more nutritious than Moomoo milk; having more vitamins than the latter, is easier to digest, and contains less lactose. It's rather sought for in Kalos in of itself since that's Gogoat's native region and is the product of their cheeses and whatnot. Nursing Skiddo rarely if ever suffer nutritional deficiency, and it makes their horns especially strong too to the point of never breaking.
Breeders/caretakers for baby/newly hatched Pokemon usually have it in their stocks because of its nutrition and health benefits, and especially for those who take in orphaned Pokemon.

That is, if the baby Pokemon is of a mammalian species. In real life mother mammals feed milk to their babies. Goat milk is used for raising orphans of some mammal species in real life, like mice.

Many newborn mammalian Pokemon under ownership of a trainer usually own the mother as well. In those cases the trainer makes sure to have the mother nurse her offspring at the appropriate times.

Bat Pokemon usually raise their pups in maternity colonies, like many real-life bats.

Canine Pokemon pups (like Rockruff, Furfrou, Lillipup) are raised by their pack.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

I've always found the Porygon line to be an interesting one, specifically it's capabilities outside of traveling in virtual space. I think we all know that Porygon can travel in virtual space but as demonstrated in Pokemon Adventures, something like Ash's Muk attempting to suffocate Porygon would just not work. Porygon is a resilient if not almost nigh-indestructible Pokemon that is capable of surviving in any extreme environment that would be lethal to most Pokemon & humans including outer space. It's a man-made Pokemon that does not need to breathe oxygen and does not need to eat to survive.

I have no idea what Porygon is supposed to be made out of if it's from the virtual world. Is some sort of hologram that can mimic solid objects so perfectly it fools all five senses?

I can't believe I missed a discussion about Porygon

Sorry to revive it but...well the simple answer is that Porygon is made up 1990s mythology when "cyberspace" was some sort of alternate dimension and could do anything.

However, that's not the point of this thread :p

What if Porygon actually gets 3D-Printed when it comes to the physical world? Maybe it's whole body is some sort of robot construct woven together out of some sort of polymer and animated by the virtual Pokemon's program?

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
To follow up on my last post, I think the move Milk Drink should be made a TM that is learned by all breedable mammalian Pokemon (including certain Pokemon that can't breed that evolve into Pokemon who can) as long as they are female, which would remove the ability of male Skiddo and Gogoat to learn the move.

Outside battle, a female mammalian Pokemon can use the move to heal any offspring that result from breeding, much like a mother mammal nursing her baby in real life. This would also raise the offspring's happiness, which would be important for evolving Pokemon like Pichu or Woobat.

TwilightBlade

I was just training Heracross in HG and I realised that it can't learn X-Scissor which surprised me. Don't Heracross's arms have edges on them? I can't explain what they are exactly but they look sharp, so I wonder why it can't learn X-Scissor which is supposed to be like a slicing attack that should work theoretically. It could hypothetically use its horn to slice things up too but apparently Heracross's biology has limits that prevent it from learning the most logical physical Bug-type attack in Generation 4.

Last edited:

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Wanted to keep going and do something on one of my more favorite 5th gen -very- underrated 'mons. Swoobat!

So Swoobat, being the very Pokemon with its category directly being the courtship Pokemon, are best known for their incredibly elaborate... you guessed it, courtship rituals and their behaviors after such.
Instead of simply moving around in elegant dances, male Swoobat combine elaborate flight patterns with differently pitched ultrasonic waves to achieve a mate. These waves are almost always too high-pitched for human ears to pick up, but they seem to drive female Swoobat absolutely crazy with excitement and happiness.
When a pair of Swoobats become mates, you can be damn sure it's for life. They will never separate no matter what; if they do get forcibly separated, they will go miles across the land to reunite, even when they're starving and weak. Trainers attempting to catch a mated Swoobat will have its mate follow and will not leave it even under the other's capture, or will have to capture them both to keep them together and happy (And get the other off their back lol). They're the lovebirds of Pokemon and are rather high maintenance; it takes a lot of trust to develop to its trainer before they can evolve in captivity and keeping a single one in of itself requires a lot of attention and interaction after evolution, keeping a mated pair are known to have happier longer lasting lifespans and reduce that requirement. Though unknowing trainers will find out the pair will sometimes focus intently on each other instead of you.
They even eventually will form a VERY strong psychic link with each other that leaves them mentally attuned with one other, knowing how each other are feeling, and will feel their partner's happiness, sadness, and pain, and will even be able to see what their partner is seeing when separated. If you ever thought Pokemon could be soulmates, Swoobats would fit it perfectly.

For something darker: If one dies, the other will die soon after. The reason? Losing their mate in such a way will put the remaining Swoobat into a behavior similar to depression, such a severe break in the mental link is rather traumatic emotionally and psychologically for them and impossible to recover from, and it's very common for it to follow its partner into the afterlife. This also means that Swoobats will only have one mate in their whole entire lifetime. Swoobat in this depressed state suffer severely shorter lifespans as a result. (And although death is rarely touched upon in Pokemon, it is a thing that can happen as we've seen)
So while their pre-evos Woobats look cute and fluffy, later on you'll see that they're not exactly the easiest to care for and require some research to consider before looking to capture and keep one.

Oddly enough, the ultrasonic cries also seem to have a positive effect on humans and all life forms within their reach, creating an almost immediate upward shift in mood. This is because the courting cries of male Swoobat are naturally enhanced with pulses of psychic energy, generating a positive swing in temperament within any nearby life form with a brain. The only exceptions to this rule are other male Swoobat, who appear to not be affected by the low-grade psychic pulses. While Swoobat have been considered for human therapy purposes for some time, they have generally gone unused because they only emit these particular waves during courtship dances, which aren't something that happen on the whim of course, limiting their usage in that area severely.

Last edited:

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Speaking of the Swoobat line, the Woobat pups cling to their mothers in flight while the mom searches for fruit to eat. This will occur for a year, the first half of which the pup nurses from its mother. In their second year of life, the Woobat are in an adolescent stage, these are referred to as juveniles. At age 2, wild Woobat become Swoobat and are ready to mate. Then the process starts all over again.

The Noivern line, also based on fruit bats, go through the same life cycle, and happen to be the only Dragon-types that are mammalian in nature, at least until a Dragon-type Eeveelution comes along.

Many pups who lose their mothers early are taken in by wild Pokemon rehabilitators. Some of these actually specialize in bat Pokemon.

(EmeraldArcanine. I think we could be great friends. I've already followed you. How about adding me so we can chat?)

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've wondered if Arceus is truly unique or there's a version for each universe. It can create a second version of the Creation trio. It emerged as an egg in a void of chaos. So presuming that chaos doesn't just stop existing after creation, could it be possible that every universe is the result of another Arceus manifesting from this pre-reality existence? Maybe this is also where the Unown come from, it's just that Arceus has a far higher concentration of power than Unown, and the species have some sort of symbiotic relationship. Perhaps this chaos is where other ludicrously strong Pokemon like the original dragon and Necrozma's original form of Ultra Necrozma originate

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Members of the Pyroar line, as real lions do, live in prides.

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Nidorina and Nidoqueens don't breed in capacity.

We need SOME explaination why they are unable to breed when you catch them and screw it I might as well do one. F that "Lol it's a coding error we decided to not fix for years" thing. They just can't do the hokey pokey in capacity.

Can't think of anything that can count as a reason for a Nidoran female being able to breed though, that I can't think of a way to explain unfortunately. (God it's so dumb)

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I can imagine stuff like Tyrunt for instance eating berries if it was like, crossbred with something that can?
Like its digestive system won't reject any meat and they aren't picky about that, but only through interbreeding with certain other Pokemon they can have their diets be more varied. Those resurrected from the get go from the fossils themselves have to go off meat alone, otherwise I can see easy indigestion from anything else because they aren't adapted for it from the start. Such a varied diet has to be bred into them, where eventually they can eat berries and Pokepuffs and that sort of stuff without any issue whatsoever alongside their standard meat diet.

Speaking of Tyrunt, it's extremely dangerous for any average person to own them like in the games. You probably need like, a whole permit and stuff first. They are hard to tame/train for the most part outside those specifically breeding them and raising them for human interaction to be more docile. But those resurrected are almost impossible and require a muzzle to hold them back, they are predators after all! Those jaws are stronger than a hyenas and will break a human in half easily. Even in breeding they have a habit of teethi- oh, I'm sorry, biting, everything first, like biting everything. EVERYTHING.
Those same jaws can be infused with elements like fire and lightning and ice and so on, hence the elemental fang attacks they can get through breeding for such. Just keep your arms at bay unless you have yours properly trained out of biting you to test them.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think Shedinja may not be a proper living being, but some sort of avatar or fighting spirit of the Nincada/Ninjask. Kind of like a Jojo Stand. It would explain why Shedinja has the same personality of the Nincada that became Ninjask, and initially the same moveset. Also applies to how the Pokemon is completely hollow. It might tie into why the Pokemon has 1 HP-its being animated by the Ninjask and any hit that connects breaks the mental connection, so it just becomes an empty exoskeleton. Dusclops is described as being hollow, however I think that's because its real body is the red eye of the line, and the body is a glorified costume it uses to interact with people. That, or Shedinja is some sort of bizarre mental copy of the Nincada/Ninjask created as a quirk of Pokeball technology interacting with the biology of the line. The clone thing would go to explain why Shedinja Gen IV onwards requires a spare Pokeball as well as an extra slot in the party. I wonder if Shedinja references ninja substitutes along with cicada shells

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I see Jirachi living in a bazare dream world a bit (because its usually asleep....like, asleep for 1000 years till it wakes up for 7 days only).

Which makes me almost think of discord from my little pony, in a way.