• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Confirmed Info Discussion [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, HGSS have black-ish game cards, so that doesn't really signify much. Emerald is still a gemstone, though.

IIRC, every Pokémon game had the default handheld game cart color in Japan; it was in USA and (I guess) Europe that we had orange FireRed, shiny Green Emerald, yellow Yellow (orly), etc. It was in the DS era that they apparently decided to drop the trend off.

The Nintendo 3DS was a april fools prank.
Also I think Chrome would be a good 3rd game name, like someone suggested above

No, the 3DS being an April Fools was the true April Fools prank. Just like Serebii revealing the US names for the 4th gen Pokémon, NPCs and items on 04/01/2006.

The names definitely say Black for the logo in the black font and White for the logo in the white font.

In Japanese it is pronounced 'Buu・raku' and 'Ho・wai・to'. To is pronounced the same as the word toe.

That's what I meant, the version colors correspond to the font, while we have those misleading backgrounds. They could have gone with a grayish background, but instead they went with the black-white duality even for the logos.

(if you were just corroborating what I said, disregard this post)

Last edited:

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Okay, I'm just two pages out of twelve into this thread, and I'm already sick to death of hearing "omg those titles are racist" when in fact, they're not. If the words "black" and "white" were racist, we wouldn't have Black Friday or White Christmas. Seriously, get your minds out of the gutter and get a ****ing life, people.

However, I have to assume NoA won't see it my way, in which case I think the names Ebony and Ivory suit the games. They're still colors, and in no way racist.

On a completely unrelated note (which has nothing to do with any speculation!), Black and White are probably gonna be my last main series Pokemon games. It's been fun, but I'm almost 21, and I'm really pushing the creepiness envelope as it is. I expect that by the time 6th Gen comes out, I'll be working a full-time job, maybe have a family, which wouldn't leave much room for Pokemon.

Snuffz

People need to stop having hissy fits over the fact that people have mentioned racism issues. Almost everyone who has brought it up in the thread hasn't considered it racist themselves (which it clearly isn't), but addressed the issue over whether some authorities would consider it racist. Personally, I think it's more racist to believe that using these titles would be racist, but undoubtedly, there are some groups of people that will claim that these titles are offensive. We live in times where political correctness has gone mad, and at some point down the line, some ridiculous group will claim that the titles are racist. It's not a certainty that Nintendo won't be forced to change the titles.

In my opinion, they're great. I love the simplicity, the suggestion that GameFreak have started this game with a brand new start, rather than just modifying the same game with slight improvements and innovations.

Another thought, if the titles are going back to basic colours*, could the boxart pokemon return to being starters? That would suggest that the Grass/Fire/Water typing of the starters would be changed, but with the total overhaul claimed by the Pokemon Company, that's far from inconceivable. It's a possibility.

*I know they aren't really colours, but let's call them so to make life easier.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
However, I have to assume NoA won't see it my way, in which case I think the names Ebony and Ivory suit the games. They're still colors, and in no way racist.

That in no way reminds me of a certain Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder song... seriously, that would just make it more obvious. o_O

In my opinion if they are going to change the names at all in the translation(I hope they don't), they would probably choose Dark and Light.

Takoyaki

Really sorry about the double post, please can you delete this one. >_<

SkyeHawc

Everyone's Rival
pokemon yin and yang could work

I think that would be a very nice name for the games.
And I won't say anything on the Racism discussion. o.o

And yeah, Dark and Light would probably be the names.
Oh, and does the Japanese site remind anyone of racing? All the checkers and everything.

Takoyaki

Sorry about the magazine scan I posted before, I realised that it was a fake.

Here is a picture of the infamous Corocoro magazine. They have stated that they will have an inside scoop in 5 days time. I don't think we will get any other new information until that date.

http://i43.*******.com/hte5b5.jpg

El Deadlito

The Amis
Probably Pokemon Gray will be third one.

World is all black & white for people who don't enjoy living.
Grey is just one step worse.

Segmaster

Advanced Collector
Back to basics, eh Gamefreak? Well, I honestly don't care about the names as long as there's some decent additions to the Pokedex.

I can see it now:
October 2010: Pokemon Black and White
April 2011: Pokemon Grey

EDIT: Gah! El Deadlito got to Pokemon Grey before me.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers

Here is a picture of the infamous Corocoro magazine. They have stated that they will have an inside scoop in 5 days time. I don't think we will get any other new information until that date.

So can anybody translate and tell if there is anything new here?

Also, since when is CoroCoro "infamous"?

Sabonea_Masukippa

You can delete posts yourself just click edit. :D

Also, it's quite likely (but not a promise) that we'll get early scans from corocoro tomorrow or at least sometime before the magazine is released next Thursday in Japan.

Here's A Rough Translation:

The Latest Pokemon Release
Title Announcement!

Pocket Monster Black Pocket Monster White

In May's Corocoro, released on April 15th,
The contents [of the games] will become clear!!!
OR (a less literal but probably more appropriate translation)
Details of the games will be shown!

...And now I'm going to bed.

Last edited:
My question is why black and white? shouldn't that of been before R/E/S ? I thought they were doing gems then platnium, and now a sudden jump back to colours? um ok rightio

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'm wondering how the new gameplay will affect the anime. Guess time will tell.

Manene!

My question is why black and white? shouldn't that of been before R/E/S ? I thought they were doing gems then platnium, and now a sudden jump back to colours? um ok rightio
Maybe it's not necessarily color? Black/White, Dark/Light, Evil/Good, Inverted, Nothing, Blank, etc.

Maybe it's goes with inverted? Meaning, Black and White are, like, the opposite. Where the games are usually the same, but with minor difference, maybe Black and White are do different games that are the opposite?

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
Is that Coro Coro poster actually in the mag or is that saying they will reveal it in the mag???

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't think we will get any other new information until that date.

We'll probably have leaks before then.

Does it really matter why they chose the names?

I'm wondering how the new gameplay will affect the anime. Guess time will tell.

It wont. The anime does its own stupid thing. It just borrows lightly from the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.