• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Confirmed Info Discussion [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPostman

Viceroy
First it was colors, then metals, then gems, and finally back to colors. What the heck!? Once they move on to other sources for name titles, they can't go back to using previous source for their previous gen games. Now I'm worried what other traditions that are going to be ruined in the 5th gen. Pokemon game title tradition is Ruined FOREVER!
There's no rule against it. And stay away from TV Tropes.

talala

why would they be called racist? white and black are colors, capcom didnt get in trouble for megaman battle network white. white and black arent even the names of races, what you guys are thinking of is caucasian and african (decent) so chill.

^THIS.

5th gen spokesperson for the forum here

Dattebayo

Banned
See, now, if you're going to be sarcastic you should put a lol afterwards.

Otherwise people will think you're being serious.

And that would be bad.

I am serious about this because it destroys tradition.

There's no rule against it. And stay away from TV Tropes.

I thought there rules against it, and TV Tropes is my only source for information as it covers things I'm interested in/experienced in the internet.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I didn't read through 31 pages worth of stuff, so I'll probably be repeating many people when I say this:

I think there is HIGH doubt that the US will keep these names. People will throw a veritible Sugar-Honey-Iced-Tea fit. Dark and Light, perhaps.

I think the US will keep the names. But there will be some disagreement. Like it or not folks, somebody WILL have a problem with the names being Black and White. Someone WILL try to get people to boycott it.

It probably won't be a Large-scale national-news worthy type of ordeal.
I'm not trying to sound paranoid but someone will complain. They always do.

I personally LOVE the names. I think it's cool. It will probably deal with Yin and Yang. You know balance and harmony and what-have-you-not. Most people will get it. Just a few people will have a problem.

BCVM22

I thought there rules against it, and TV Tropes is my only source for information as it covers things I'm interested in/experienced in the internet.

Dattebayo, what have we said about taking the hint and trying to pretend you were joking?

Riolucario

Pokémon Collector
First it was colors, then metals, then gems, and finally back to colors. What the heck!? Once they move on to other sources for name titles, they can't go back to using previous source for their previous gen games. This would've made more sense if they were used for the 2nd gen name titles before they starting using metals and gems. Now I'm worried what other traditions that are going to be ruined in the 5th gen. Pokemon game title tradition is Ruined FOREVER!

What ARE you talking about?
Firstly, Black isn't a colour, it's the absence of colour.
Secondly, White isn't a colour, it's made up of every colour.
Thirdly, it went: Colours, Metals, Gems, Gems. (Though Pearl isn't technically a Gem, it can be classified as such.) Not to mention the third games. Crystal with metals when it's a Gem? Platinum with Gems when it's a Metal?

So where's your point? D:

Oran

Rookie Poster
OH yeah! Because more descriptive plot and character development is bad in video games. Everything should stay bland in our society of conservatives.

Miaw, such pointless cattiness.

I hardly see how NOT wanting the sci-fi/ dimensional themes of the games to be continued translates as NOT wanting character development and plot progression and makes me a conservative. The games survived for a decade without it and I'm sure the 4th gen games could have survived without it too. I was merely hoping from the basic sounding titles that the games would step back a little, because there is such a thing as taking something too far.

If you like those aspects of the game then that's fine but don't take the highground just because you don't agree with me. :)

DBK

Renegade Trainer

*Salutes Senzura, takes a drink*

Dattebayo

Banned
Dattebayo, what have we said about taking the hint and trying to pretend you were joking?

I really can't remember to be honest. I just hoped this is the only thing that will shock me about the 5th gen games.

What ARE you talking about?
Firstly, Black isn't a colour, it's the absence of colour.
Secondly, White isn't a colour, it's made up of every colour.
Thirdly, it went: Colours, Metals, Gems, Gems. (Though Pearl isn't technically a Gem, it can be classified as such.) Not to mention the third games. Crystal with metals when it's a Gem? Platinum with Gems when it's a Metal?

So where's your point? D:

I always thought black and white were colors like Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow, and now that you put that way about Crystal and Platinum, I think I'll shut up about this for now.

Last edited:

Grei

not the color
First it was colors, then metals, then gems, and finally back to colors. What the heck!? Once they move on to other sources for name titles, they can't go back to using previous source for their previous gen games. This would've made more sense if they were used for the 2nd gen name titles before they starting using metals and gems. Now I'm worried what other traditions that are going to be ruined in the 5th gen. Pokemon game title tradition is Ruined FOREVER!

Wow. Overly-dramatic much?

It's been officially stated that the 5th Gen "will make us wonder 'is this really Pokemon!?'" Meaning, a revamp is on the horizon.

I think going back to colors (don't give me that "it's shades!" nonsense. I mean, they are shades, but they're more commonly known as colors. Not that it really matters, but still) is a perfect choice for them. They're going back to where they started with the 5th Gen names--simple, yet effective.

Just because the 5th Gens are named after colors like the 1st Gen doesn't mean some tradition is ruined (especially since there wasn't any tradition with the game names--they've sort of named them whatever they want) and it certainly doesn't indicate that they're intending to break every tradition of the main series as possible.

And, to be completely honest, it could be argued that they've never strayed from colors. Gold and Silver are colors. Crystal could arguably be a color, or a type of color (this is the only one that isn't an obvious color, however). Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald--all shades of Red, Blue and Green, respectively. Diamond (silvery) and Pearl (pinkish) are colors. Platinum is a color.

It's not like they went "Colors-Flowers-Rocks-Colors" or something.

Aren't Light and Electric basically the same thing?

Arguably, yes. Fire could also be considered light. A lot of people seem to think that Psychic is light, probably because of Espeon and Umbreon or something.
Though the Psychic is light argument doesn't make much sense.

Dark is not only super-effective against Psychic, but it is also immune to Psychic attacks.

If Dark is "evil" and Psychic is "light", what kind of message would that show if evil triumphed over light in every situation? : /

If anything, Fighting is more of a "light" type--especially since the "Dark" type is meant to reference fighting unfairly--tricksters, cheating, etc., and Fighting is fighting fairly, like convention fighting sports.

Last edited:

Coach

Speculator
YESH!!! I can't wait for these games! I was so convinced that these would be the names I just started referring to Gen V as Black & White. These are two of the best, if not the best names in the series imo. They're perfect! I'm glad they didn't try to top the names of the previous generation, I'm glad they went with a simple, yet effective route this time.

I just hope a bunch of "Oh, this is racist" don't ruin everything. For cryin' out loud, they're colors! They've been colors much longer than they've been racial labels. And I'll be po'd beyond belief if they change the US names. Not unless they make the names really good, like Yin & Yang maybe.

Hmm...ever since I saw the news today I've been thinking about a certain Michael Jackson song lol...

I<3 You

Attempting to Chain
Technically brown is made of every color :D
I'm black and who cares if the names black and white. They're colors.(Yes colors not the absence of light or however smart you want to sound)
And why make a thread discussing NAMES.

Sooooo entertaining.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version

Nintendo's the only one that knows the true tradition, the real pattern of what they're doing. So you don't know that.

Besides, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, and Diamond are gems, but Diamond is also a metal, along with Gold and Silver. Pearls are created in clams, so go ahead and explain that one. FireRed and LeafGreen, both colors, came between Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald, so there really has been no pattern, other than they've named some games colors, some games after metals, some games after gems, and one game off of the hard buildup inside of a clam.

And even so, Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald can also be seen as colors. They'd be different shades of red, blue, and green.

Last edited:

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I really can't remember to be honest. I just hoped this is the only thing that will shock me about the 5th gen games.

Personally I'm looking forward to being surprised. That's one of my favorite things about each new generation.

Senzura

Master of Blaziken
All I hope is that they fix the GTS and that there is some compatability with 4th gen, as long as those demands are met, the names can be Pokemon Ununoctium and Pokemon Ununseptium for all I care.

Jinglefruit

Mad hatter
The thing I'm wondering more than anything, (screw racism, I hear about that everyday, lets all play pokemon together and get away from it) is what the 3rd game will be called.

Grey?
Just doesn't sound like a good name for pokemon. zP

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Wow. How interesting that we are still hung up on the issue of race instead of addressing the games themselves. Race never once crossed my mind until people started spamming the forums with the idea this will spark race riots. If you are really going argue that these games will spark race riots here is some food for thought: Why don't the black and the white nintendo dsis spark race arguments? I own a white Dsi, does that make me a klan member? No. Why don't black and white cars spark race arguments? Why didn't Black and White and its sequel Black and White 2, both developed by Lionhead studios spark any race riots? Why hasn't my black and white photography ever sparked any race riots? If you want to argue that there are also other colors of cars and dsis, etc. remember that there are also different colors of Pokemon games! So that counterargument really gets thrown out the window. The only plausible, but yet still a very far stretch, reason this could get turned into a race issue would be if 24/7 news channels CNN and Foxs news beat it into the brains of their viewers because they have nothing else to cover, otherwise I don't quite think many other people will instantly think of race. It is a japanese game after all and is being made by people that are neither white or black. Besides there are too many more serious issues having to do with race that rank priority over arguing whether a child's video game developed by a franchise that has established itself for 10+ years with children all over the world is racist.

Futhermore I fear that if people keep commenting on how "racist" these games sound is the mods will close the forums for discussing the games at which point I will throw my laptop across the room and yell, "THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!!"

Now to move onto the titles message I believe it denotes a yin-yang scenario for the legendary pokemon of the region. Gamefreak has already dabbled in the importance of balance and interconnectedness in previous generations so it was only a matter of time before they full on made yin-yang legendaries.
Even if it has nothing to do with yin-yang the message that these titles provoke seems extraordinary compared to all other previous titles. I mean when I think back to red, blue, green, yellow I wasn't really thinking much about the titles, just the pokemon and what the pokemon on the covers meant- not the titles of the game. Same with gold, silver, crystal, ruby, sapphire, emerald, diamond, pearl and platinum. If you can't tell I have a really good feeling about these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.