• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Confirmed Info Discussion [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

5thgenishere

They're not called Pokémon Peach and Brown.

Nobody has black or white skin, so people need tp get a life. These are games. The same woman who complained about Jynx will more than likely be the only person complaining about this. Anyone else who does is just sad.

I like that we've finally come to this point; a clean slate. We started with colours, went to metals and then finally to gems. Now we're back at the bottom. Black and White are perfect names to the two games. They're perfect opposites and they're also simple.

I'm hoping the version mascotts refer to day and night so people can forget about the wrong racism claims.

Iota

O RLY? i beg to differ
[IMG200]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_sW65ilskOC8/SJcJUBEh7bI/AAAAAAAAMK8/XPcIu3XJrtw/s400/BillClintonJoeLiebermanBlackface.jpg[/IMG200]

TheLupineOne

I'M GETTING WHITE.
So people, two questions.
1) When (at what time) did this forum change from "DISCUSS NAMES ONLY" to fully fledged "READ FIRST POST"? (SPECIFY TIME ZONE)
2) Has our in house translator (I can't spell her) translated those scans yet? If so, link to it.

Wow, don't I feel like an over-excited speculative little newbie to be posting my first post on this of all topics...but I digress,

I'd like to start by discussing the racism issue; Black and White are, yes, colours, actually, they're a shade and a tint respectively. They're also slang terms for ethnicities. White people aren't actually white, they're beige-ish apricot. And black people aren't really black, they're brown. So piss off, Jynx, if any Pokemon is racist, it's Dugtrio, with it's brown skin and big lip(s). (<-Joke) Either way, I have to admit it IS an issue of racism, now me personally, have no problem with the names. I think the whole simple colours deal is reverting to the simplicity of Red and Blue. And think about it, if these really are the last generation of Pokemon games, I think such abstract concepts such as Black and White could not only be used to symbolize the simplicity that made this series a hit in the first place, but also could impliment the Yin and Yang, since most [legendary] Pokemon are based on Japanese legends. However, when it comes out in the states, presumed racism in the titles will be an issue. Let's face it, there's FAR more ignorant people in the world than reasonable, intelligent ones. Think about it, if a PREACHER can write an entire article about how Pokemon is Satanic because it emphasizes evolution (I'm sure we all remember that!) and many other examples involving presumes general prejudice against Pokemon have occured, I know in my heart that the easily-offended, assuming public will pin Black and White as racist.

Whew! Anyways, just veiwed the pictures. I like mostly. There's a few up's and down's to the new graphics;

+ More detailed, vivid towns
+ Backsprites for all Pokemon (Can't wait to see Swampert! :D )
+ More space in the actual game card
- More slowdown (anyone get the lag while walking in DPPt-HGSS?)
- The actual size of the region will have to be cut down
- The photo were the battle scene is shown looks like the Pokemon are on the bottom screen, is this touch controlled battle moves? This is extremely offputting to me.
- Who knew lengthening the arms a little could kill the trainers so much?
- Finally, they seem to be doing more to the overwhelming NEW features then vast improvement on the OLD ones.

Also, Pokewalker compatibility? And a Time Capsule? And GTS? Wait, I see the answer! We're ALL over-excited speculative newbies (to this game), and we ought to distract ourselves with what we do have before we give ourselves heart attacks from anxiety over a game, whose information we won't have for atleast another 2-3 months. This is why I dislike the time period before a new gen. Everyone forgets almost instantaniousely about the previous games. I don't know about you guys, but HGSS is/are my new favorite Pokemon game(s). And already, almost too soon, we have this new storm of speculation shoving these newly released gems out of the spotlight. *Sigh*

Grei

not the color
and I'm also not very happy that EVERYTHING is in 2.5D-3D now. The occasional 3D building and whatnot in DPPtHGSS was fine, but now this? It's not the format of Pokemon anymore, it seems like the controls are only going to be complicated. Plus, the battle format seems to be quitecomplicated too. They should have just stuck with the DPPtHGSS format mainly, maybe added a few 3D updates here and there, but not a complete revamp.

I suppose it's what's to be expected with the growing technology. We can't expect to stay mostly-2D forever.

However, I don't see how the controls will be difficult. Someone (it may have been you) brought up the difficulty of going around turns--that won't be a problem at all.

When you begin to approach a turn, your view of the 3D overworld will (probably) simply turn along with the curve--all you need to do is keep holding down Left on the directional pad. Similar to the Torn World, which rotated camera angles and such. The camera will just turn and shift--you won't have to do some weird control pad combination in order to move around a turn.

Onto the main characters. I think the male actually looks quite cool from what little I can tell, he seems to have a neat outfit and I like his hair. The girl...I'm kind of mixed about. I like her concept, but I don't think she translates well as an overworld sprite. The ponytail is awkward, it just seems to stick out way too much from the rest of her. And the strands on the side of her face look too much like sideburns (am I the only one who thinks so?). That's just me, though...o_O

I agree with the awkwardness of her sprite. She seems too large. Then again, all of the sprites seem to be taller. I mean, the male sprite doesn't, but if you look in the Pokemon Center, the weird man with facial hair and the female protagonist are clearly taller than what we've seen in the past--it makes her look awkward. And the ponytail definitely makes her head look way too big.

But, maybe that's just the awkwardness of the camera angle. Maybe, in the regular overworld (like in the cave) she won't look so awkward.

Valkyrie X said:
The only thing I'm miffed about is that they're not indicating that Pokemon can follow you this time...unless there's the option to just keep your Pokemon in its ball. I don't see a very good reason why they'd remove the feature after it was such a big hit in HG/SS. Maybe it's exclusive for the 3rd game, maybe they've just decided to scrap it and focus on other aspects instead...sigh. Guess we'll just have to wait til more info's released...

This is just a guess, but if it was removed, maybe it's because all the sprites don't work all that well with the overworld camera changes. We have three angles so far: Pokemon Center, which is closer to ground level, the standard bird's-eye view (in the cave), which we've had in every game in the main series so far, and the zoomed-out bird's-eye view, when you're in a city. Maybe they were afraid that the Pokemon Following sprites would look too awkward to implement with the multiple overview camera angles.

If that's the case, there's hope for it to be in a possible 3rd installment, once they've smoothed over the rougher parts of the first two in the Generation and figure out the best way to work with the more 3D-focused overworld.

EDIT:

After more closely looking at the cave screenshot...

cave-big.jpg

Are those smaller rocks floating!? Why is the blue glow slightly further down than the location of the rocks?

Last edited:
I brought that up earlier. Apparently, only you and I care. That was a great aspect they added in HGSS, with the Pokemon following you around and giving you items and overall it was an awesome little perk they added. I'm disappointed that they removed it in Pokemon BW, and I'm also not very happy that EVERYTHING is in 2.5D-3D now. The occasional 3D building and whatnot in DPPtHGSS was fine, but now this? It's not the format of Pokemon anymore, it seems like the controls are only going to be complicated. Plus, the battle format seems to be quite complicated too. They should have just stuck with the DPPtHGSS format mainly, maybe added a few 3D updates here and there, but not a complete revamp.

I wholeheartedly concur.

pyromancer66

5th Gen Game Hater
oh god.... i hate how these ones look....i wish that they didn't ruin the old and classic way pokemon games have been for the past 15 years, where you see from above, now, everything is retarded in my point of view, as the viewpoint of the character just makes the game look stupid and weird

mew-the original

Binchsquatch
I brought that up earlier. Apparently, only you and I care. That was a great aspect they added in HGSS, with the Pokemon following you around and giving you items and overall it was an awesome little perk they added. I'm disappointed that they removed it in Pokemon BW...

I'm dissapointed that we can't walk with our pokemon anymore. :( unless there's some feature that allows you to switch between having a pokemon out and walk alone...

KurowaSan

Croissant Kamen \o/
I loved that they expanded the 3D look they had in some parts of Gen IV, like the gyms, but still kept (and improved) the 2D sprites, which I think are part of the soul of Pokémon - 2D will never die! \o/.
But too bad it doesn't seem to have the partner pokémon feature and I didn't like the blurry scan of the overworld sprite of the male protagonist. Seems like a wild brat. Not a cool trainer like Brendan, Lucas or Ethan.
The female protagonist looks neat, as always. Who doesn't like a cute girl with a ponytail? And for people who says the cap makes her look tomboyish, a lot of girls use fashionable caps in Japan, goings to clubs or walking through the fashionable parts of the big cities. And that doesn't make them look any less girly and cute.

Synn

Female Dragon Tamer
The 3dness of HG/SS annoyed me a bit, especially in the Tin (Bell) Tower, as you can't see one of the ramps behind the pillar in the centre >.>

Frontier Brain B

I'm that good.
oh god.... i hate how these ones look....i wish that they didn't ruin the old and classic way pokemon games have been for the past 15 years, where you see from above, now, everything is retarded in my point of view, as the viewpoint of the character just makes the game look stupid and weird

They say this every time...

BlazerX

Elite 4 Trainer
I, for one, love the graphics, the city especially. Yeah, it's true that they could've waited and released Black/White for the 3DS

No bad idea if they waited to release the game for the 3DS we would have to buy a whole new console just o play 5 games coming to its release.
remember the DS lite and DSi have a good 3D capabilitie to handle this game

panas

hey i don't think that 3d would be good if you walk just as you do in the lighthouse after you get out of the door i hope they are going to change it.

Synn

Female Dragon Tamer
EDIT:

After more closely looking at the cave screenshot...

cave-big.jpg

Are those smaller rocks floating!? Why is the blue glow slightly further down than the location of the rocks?

They do look like they're floating o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.