• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Confirmed Info Discussion [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
You're free to burn me and pour gasoline on me - I made an image people can use to endorse Light types. Anyone who thinks Light types would be a cool addition to Pokemon can use the image in my signature.

I'm SunnyC. Of course I would support Light types.

mew-the original

Binchsquatch
I like the ying and yang idea for Black and White, two legendary pokemon to balance the other out. Hmmm maybe they keep the balance of humans and pokemon in the world.. Idk, I'm probably just spouting nonsense...

Caithyra

"Black" and "White" aren't inherently racist words. Unless they are used to refer to people of different races, they do not have anything to do with race. No one here is complaining about chess, go, backgammon and other games like that.

Furthermore, it's kind of ironic that a thread worrying about two colour names being racist (despite the fact that red and yellow made it through, even though redskins have been a racist slur towards Native Americans and white actors often put on yellowface in order to play stereotypical, evil Asians) has several statements of cultural appropriation, as well as usage of words that's hurtful to minorities (and no, I'm not talking about being politically correct, I'm talking about being a decent human being who doesn't kick people who are already down).

The reason why Jynx had such a controversy is because she was drawn in a way that many black women used be drawn in racist cartoons, with black skin, lighter, large lips and behaving in a sub-human way.

Unless Pokémon White/Black becomes about race, and in a way that's racist, I don't think we have to worry.

Anyway, the black/white motif along with the checker effect, makes me think that there might be a chess motif in these games, but since I'm only allowed to talk about the titles, I wont speculate further on my theories.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Sunny- Hm I am kind of warming up to the idea, but what kind of Light attack would exist? Would Light be effective against Dark and vice verse or would it be neutral? Maybe this is the shocking announcement that is meant to be announced, think alot of people (Including myself) believe there never will be a Light type (Or for me Doubts it but who knows) and it would be a shock. But as someone else stated just because there's a Pokemon white doesn't mean it will be, there's no Carbon type like someone else mentioned.

But once again who knows, I was going to mention something else but forgot now

Caith- True about Jynx (I think I remember something of that description in cartoons of the 90's when I watched it, never thought about women looking like that though) but I don't think anyone had that in mind when creating Jynx.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Sunny- Hm I am kind of warming up to the idea, but what kind of Light attack would exist? Would Light be effective against Dark and vice verse or would it be neutral?

Ha, "warming up". I think light and dark would be neutral toward each other to create that balance. I don't know about attacks yet. Anyway, I'm going to be quiet now that I've put the image out there. We're only supposed to talk about the titles...

Last edited:

Indragon

Back in the USSR
You're free to burn me and pour gasoline on me - I made an image people can use to endorse Light types. Anyone who thinks Light types would be a cool addition to Pokemon can use the image in my signature.

I'm SunnyC. Of course I would support Light types.

Firstly, great pic :)

Now why would anyone want to pour gasoline on you? =P

Anyway, I'm not really attached to Light types though I do like the idea, nor would I be terribly disappointed if they weren't introduced (probably because there introduction is unlikely), but I'm going to sig this because Light types would mean the start of something fun, fresh and innovative, and what better way to go back to the roots of Pokemon than make a new type of Pokemon?

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Indragon- Very true, it would be interesting to see what kind of attacks a Light type has.
Also a bit off topic bit I have always been a little confused about the quote in your sig (A story right?). Did Gary go out with a Blastoise or is that the name of a girl?

Sunny- Lol that pun wasn't actually intended.

V Faction

www.faction.com
If it's White, it's alright.

If it's Black, you're okay jack.

If it's Brown, then it's time to leave town.

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
Your saying that since the creators used valuable metals and gems as names for their games, and if they wanted to do the same for the 5th gen, the new gems/metals would have to be more valuable to top the previous names.

Yes and no. I'm not saying tops in terms of being a better name or anything like that. Any gems or metals used have less claim to fame. Their level of escalation ended in that realm though, yes.

It's like a roman numeral numbering system. I, II, III, IV. Eventually you need to shift over to something. You cant just keep doing I over and over. It's not IIII. So you do IV, you add something else to get yourself something new.

But since they already used the best gems/metals, that would prove extremely difficult. Does that about sum it up?

Unless you know of metals or gems with more notoriety and value, it's not difficult its near impossible. They've reached a plateau.

Now, I explain. That only holds true under two conditions:

1) The values of the metals/gems equate to the values of the names game-wise.

2) They wanted to top this gen, name-wise/game wise.

Of course both are false. The names are chosen based on how well they fit the games, not on how valuable the associated item is. And they chose Black and White for the same reason.

This is your opinion. I dont think any of the names really fit the games. I might associate lugia with silver, but, only cause they told me it does. I might think, white. So, why not call it pokemon white back then?
Even still, lugia is one part of that game and the silver wing a part as well. I dont see gold fitting gold really either. Really I think most of the games have little to do with their name. I mean, ruby just as well could have been called the land version, or magma version.
You think their names fit though, that's fine. Now I see where we differ. You see more in the names and the games than I do. You're able to see depth and make connections I have not made.

Here's what I think.
I believe they picked names ruby, gold, ect. because of what is associated with them. The value, the rarity, something that could be an heirloom or something you may never get again. These are things that you might associate with pokemon themselves. That could go along with fitting the game well. Really, why call ruby and sapphire those names? Why not crimson and indigo? Or something similar? Because they're not gem stones. I think they wanted something to peak people's interest a bit more than just color.
Black and white, dont hold that same value though. No one is selling black or white for 700 dollars an ounce.
It just makes sense to me, instead of doing more gems and metals, to change to something else entirely. They've done pretty much, the cream of the crop.
I dont think they arbitrarily toss names out there. I do think that the gems and metals were picked because of what's associated with them, and not just what color they are.

lilboiibubblez

If it's White, it's alright.

If it's Black, you're okay jack.

If it's Brown, then it's time to leave town.

If it's grey, throw it away?

srullic

hmm let's see... time in japan is about 5:00 pm, and time in america is about 4:00 morning... so i geuss i'll wait 3 hours or so for the corocoro leaks

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Indragon- Very true, it would be interesting to see what kind of attacks a Light type has.
Also a bit off topic bit I have always been a little confused about the quote in your sig (A story right?). Did Gary go out with a Blastoise or is that the name of a girl?

Actually, that quote is from a "Would you go out with a Pokemon" thread which existed in Pokepolls quite a while ago. It's referring to Gary and his Blastoise in the Anime (and how Pokemon can only say their names there), but the speaker is someone complaining to Gary after a date with his Blastoise lol.

Anyway, a thought - since they introduced snow and stuff in Platinum, is it possible that in Black, the conditions are that of an eclipse while in White, the sun is shining brightly all the time?

Zalman

Master of Puppets
I honestly think they know what they're doing with the names. They've been through the big racism thing before with Jynx, and I don't think they'd risk that again. They've probably already discussed with Nintendo of America/Europe about it. As people have stated, no one's complaining about Chess. It's a game that has been out for a very, very long time, and in the very beginning, you get to pick your color. Black or white? This is exactly the same situation Pokémon's in, and if Chess can do it, why can't Pokémon?

I mean, c'mon. Both black and white are ordinary words we use in our everyday life.

mew-the original

Binchsquatch
Of course they know what they are doing with the names, the names hold symbolism for the story of the game. You think it was just a coincedence that Diamond and Pearl were used as the titles to mascot Dialga and Palkia?
The titles will always tie into the games.
I'm very intrueged to see what pokemon will mascot these games...

Poke_Mania97

God of Fire
I like how the company have stopped the gemstones in the names (crystakl,ruby,sapphire,emerald,diamond,pearl) and now have come back to the colours, like red,blue,green,yellow.

I wonder what the 3rd installment will be, maybe pokemon grey?

I wonder what the legendarys will be, the new pokemon!

One of the legens maybe evil and the other good

ssilva872

I don't care about the name I just want it to have some great pokemon and introduce some more things that are cool.

Looking forward to next March/April!

BM14murph

Master Collector
Wll i'm sure with names like Black and White the version mascots can safely be assumed to be Black and White respectively

The black mascot will almost certainly be a Dark type and for the light mascot i'm not sure Psychic maybe?

I woldn't mind if they made Lght types actually i would enjoy it if they did i just don't want them to add the light type to current pokmon like what they did with the steel type by adding it to Magnemite and Magneton etc

Status
Not open for further replies.