• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Confirmed Info Discussion [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I think this is a little too depressing for a kid's game. They could make the gym Flying-type (given that there's a Gym there at all) but they probably wouldn't reference anything.

No it's not. I learned about this in school when I was 6 or 7. I thought this was something that was widely taught and known.

The.WorkSe.Of.InfiNites

VeritatemDiesAperit
I think this is a little too depressing for a kid's game. They could make the gym Flying-type (given that there's a Gym there at all) but they probably wouldn't reference anything.

I suppose this is possible. Then again, they may have simply turned it off for the preview so as to not spoil a game feature.

Though I could see them not wanting to make brand new sprites for all of the Pokemon that will be in BW, especially since they'd need to be taller to fit the new sprite sizes. Maybe there's some sort of reasoning for no sprites that we won't know about until much later.

I want the Pokemon to follow, but I suppose I won't complain if it isn't there.
I don't think they could even reference the atomic bomb in this game. Maybe instead an evil team took over the city but has since disappeared. Or a pokemon took over the city previously but was banished (like Giratina).

I don't think they could even reference the atomic bomb in this game. Maybe instead an evil team took over the city but has since disappeared. Or a pokemon took over the city previously but was banished (like Giratina).

Team Galactic blew up Lake Valor (I Think) with a Galactic Bomb, so they could reach Azelf, although you didn't see it happen, it did happen. And they referenced it alot as well, they referenced it in Celestic Town when one member of Team Galactic went suicide bomber on us.

Grei

not the color
No it's not. I learned about this in school when I was 6 or 7. I thought this was something that was widely taught and known.

I'm not so sure. At the most, I think they'd have a memorial, with a sign or somebody saying "This memorial is in dedication to a girl who once died." They could also mention that "she once constructed 1000 paper cranes so that her wishes would come true" if those paper cranes were hanging or set around the memorial, but even then one would have to wonder what her wish would be. Then, the wish would need to be explained in-game to make the statement sound less random.

So it would just be a memorial for a girl who died, with no in-game explanation as to how she died. And that's pointless, especially in something that acts as a child's way of escaping from reality. I just don't see it happening.

If they adapted her story to something Pokemon-related, I could totally see it. But I don't really expect it at all.

ForeverFlame

So are we talking about the fact that the city highly resembles Hiroshima?

I personally think it makes sense. Hiroshima is in Chūgoku, which hasn't been made into a region yet.

DSDark

Breeder
KurowaSan, you are a genius!!!
Seriously, i couldn't have done that much research.

Okay, now to comment:
SHIMANE -
The Izumo Taisho would most likely make an appearance in the game (the Scorched Slab in Hoenn is actually based on the cave where Amaterasu, the sun goddess, hid herself.)
TOTTORI -
I like the idea of Tottori Sand Dunes as a desert, and i like the idea of a ground-type gym as well (the last ground-type gym was in Kanto!)
Since Daisen is the highest mountain in Chuugoku, it most likely would be added. But i'd rather leave it as a volcano, for the fire-types to live.
And there could be a contrast between the volcano and cold mountain, like fire/ice, with the town of Tottori between them.
YAMAGUCHI -
I would say the Akiyoshi Plateau is the Elite Four place (just because 'plateau' is also is in Indido Plateau), and Akiyoshi Cave as Victory Road.
HIROSHIMA -
This city would obviously would be added. I was thinking for the gym, a Flying Type, because there was this girl called Sadako Sasaki who developed cancer from the fallout from the atomic bomb. She decided to create 1000 paper cranes because it is believed that folding 1000 paper cranes would grant you a wish. However, she died at 12 years old (according to the Hiroshima Peace Museum, says she finished it but continued folding more). She has her own memorial.
OKAYAMA -
Okayama city could the the city in the background of that bridge image. And because it looks polluted, maybe a Poison-type gym.
KAGAWA -
I would think Megijima could be the cave image with the electric rocks. I don't know why but maybe the ogres of Oni island could be creating it. o_O
EHIME -
Agree with the Power plant idea.
KOCHI -
I would think Shimanto (a town in Kichi prefecture) should be the starting town, as it has one of Japan's cleanest rivers, and the starting town image looks... clean? o_O That's the only connection i'm getting. It's also on the southern tip.
Then Kochi town would be the next town over.

Anyway, your ideas of the locations seem more linear, storyline-wise, and mine seem more scattered.
I was going mention some Shinto myths about Izanagi, Izanami, Susanoo, Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi and Orochi, and relating them to possible legendaries, but i don't want to speculate too much. I'll wait in a month or something, til new info comes.

And looking at the city map, i think i can see 3 alleys in this city. And there seems to be an interactable building at the end of the clip, the stone-coloured building. It looks like a department store.
I think the city turns round back north so all exits head north (i think there's two exits, but i can't be sure, seeing the map).

that is a really good idea. If this is the region the games will based off I would enjoy having two large areas to explore

R_N

Are we discussing how the city might be Hiroshima and there might be a reference to The Bomb?

Um...obviously I'm not 100% on this but...isn't that bombing still kind of a thing with Japan? Like, not taboo, but something not brought up?
Granted, I may be thinking of Germany & Hitler and going from there.

.:Alex:.

Has anyone noticed how there aren't any pokemon following you around in the screen shots? I'm thinking they may have a feature included where you can "switch on or off" the pokemon following you - either that or it's simply because they're early screenshots :/

I suspect that either the feature is no longer present, or it's disabled to prevent showing any new Pokemon.

Because otherwise there would be some screenshots with a follower, and some without. That would just be confusing.

As for Hiroshima, I'd imagine there would be some ruins and they'll just tastefully skirt around it. Some references in dialogue, but nothing too specific or detailed. Mentions of a great calamity, and peace being important etc. It'd take away from the focus of the game, for a start, if they got too into it.

Grei

not the color
It would have to be Pokemon related to be in Pokemon :p
And I don't think it's that morbid to be honest, you can't wrap kids in cotton wool these days.

And yet they are. It may be my personal belief but it truly seems like, compared to past generations, kids are much more sheltered now. So much more isn't talked about in front of them for fear of scarring them and ruining their childhoods. At least in the US, things like the media--especially television--is sugarcoated and altered to make things "nicer" for kids. In Japan, I know not as much is censored or sugarcoated, but that doesn't warrant a reference to something so morbid in Japan's history.

Because a reference to the massacre of thousands of Japanese citizens is, in fact, morbid. The atomic bombing of Hiroshima is probably something that isn't mentioned, like Snowyarticuno stated. I just don't see that sort of reference. Additionally, the girl's wish did not come true--that's not sending the best message to kids either.

If it was something like:

"Long ago, a young girl wanted her sick Pokemon to get better. To wish for her Pokemon to be healed, she constructed 1000 paper cranes. However, in her determination to help her Pokemon, the girl fell ill herself and died. This memorial was built in remembrance to her selflessness and deep compassion for her Pokemon."

It'd be a bit more acceptable. But referencing the bombing of Hiroshima in Black and White? I doubt it.

Last edited:

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Calling out Hiroshima in these games is very unlikely. Maybe having a Legendary save this land from a ravage warlord sure, but other then that, no.

Phantom champion Z

so were talking about hiroshima now. okay the bomb thing i doubt will just because this is a childrens game. just like how a geman childrens game wouldnt have the holocaust and american game wouldnt bring up slavery. they are disgusting parts of human history that we should learn from as to not allow it to happen again. not adapt into a game and have fun with.

Additionally, the girl's wish did not come true--that's not sending the best message to kids either.

What if the girl's wish was for no more atomic bombs? Except for that Soviet bomb a few years later, I guess her wish came true, after all.

If it was something like:

"Long ago, a young girl wanted her sick Pokemon to get better. To wish for her Pokemon to be healed, she constructed 1000 paper cranes. However, in her determination to help her Pokemon, the girl fell ill herself and died. This memorial was built in remembrance to her selflessness and deep compassion for her Pokemon."

It'd be a bit more acceptable. But referencing the bombing of Hiroshima in Black and White? I doubt it.

Hmm yes, I could see that happening. Those who know the "true story" will catch the reference while the kids won't, but will have a cute/sad story instead.

Guys check out my far fetch'd theory too!

Black and white = yin and yang
yin and yang= guarded by tiger (yin) and dragon (yang)
Conclusion: WHITE LEGEND= NORMAL TYPE TIGER, BLACK= DARK TYPE DRAGON
TNT%20dragon%20and%20tiger%20yinyang.jpg

I guess the Dragon should be Ghost. So then, one cannot touch the other.

TheUltimateTrainer

The lost trainer
What if the girl's wish was for no more atomic bombs? Except for that Soviet bomb a few years later, I guess her wish came true, after all.

Hmm yes, I could see that happening. Those who know the "true story" will catch the reference while the kids won't, but will have a cute/sad story instead.

I guess the Dragon should be Ghost. So then, one cannot touch the other.
I agree with this, like they once said in a manga that I has readed, "a dragon cannot reach a tiger in earth (the rest of this part wasn't said the manga) and a tiger cannot reach the dragon"

theforgottensoldier

divide and conquer!
That would be awesome if the legendary for pokemon white was in fact a white tiger. I can't wait for them to reveal the box legendaries. I'm also sold on the next region being based off of Chugoku/Shikoku because all the pieces seem to fit so far though I did notice a few holes with Kurowasan's theory.

I find the whole 'Dragon is Yang Tiger is Yin' thing interesting, but what if it were to go by the traits of the Chinese Zodiac? The Dragon and the Tiger are part of the zodiac, and according to Wikipedia...

Yang (light) is the Rat, Tiger, Dragon, Horse, Monkey and Dog. Yin (dark) is Ox, Rabbit, Snake, Sheep, Rooster, and Pig. Both the tiger and dragon are of the Yang.

Then again, I might be completely wrong as I'm going by something completely different.

HOWEVER, if we do go by the picture BUT by the fact that Yang is light and Yin is dark...Then the typing that was predicted by Top Percentage is incorrect. In fact, that picture is incorrect. The Dragon should be over the white portion, and the tiger the black portion.

But this is all speculation. For all we know the legendaries could be a duck and a moose.

Last edited:

Neurotic Nuckelavee

Monochromatic Beast
I like the idea of the Yin & Yang Dragon and Tiger based legendaries. It seems like a plausible speculation, if it turned out to be true I would have to get White for the Tiger.

KurowaSan has also sold me on their theory, now we just have to wait and see.

Tickle Me Cooper

A Black Protagonist
^Well, now the the Overworld God can't damage the Underworld God (mind if I remind you that both normal and fighting can't land a hit on ghosts, it's not a good balance, both the Earth and the Underworld God can easily beat the Overworld God right now, unless you give it an ability that makes it possibly for normal and fighting moves to land a hit against ghosts)

Well understand that while The Fighting/Normal type can't hit the Dark/Ghost at all, the D/G can only hit the F/N with a not very effective Dark attack. Also bare in mind how limited the the D/G type is movepool wise vs the very wide variety of moves a Normal type can carry. The checks and balences of the two dieties would match up nicely. Besides, look at Groundon vs Kyrogre. Dialga vs Palkia. There are clear type matching that don't seem to match up, yet they still match pretty evenly. Rayquaza and Kyrogre both have the type advantage over Groudon, yet Groudon has both Solar beam and a large arangment of Rock type moves to even the playing feild. I feel that with the Normal type in under it's belt, Mr. F/N should have no problem doing a similar thing with the Earth and Underworld dieties, although the only one that really matters is the Underworld one.

Status
Not open for further replies.