• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Confirmed Info Discussion [READ FIRST POST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Denton reminds me of Alfred, from Batman.
batmanbegins1.jpg

That's Bulterist.

shaq-attack

.:~:._.:~:.
Never said it was. The clothes and the hair style are similar, that's all. If she had different clothes, I wouldn't make those conclusions. If she had long, straight hair and a dress, I can't say it is similar. But, no they give her an apron and an afro.

That I like pancakes? That I think a fictional character looks like a mascot for a breakfast food? Do you think I'm racist against whites because Drake shares some semblance to Captain Crunch?
Lighten up. I'm happy they made Aloe, I'm not a fan of her dress, but it isn't like Japanese games aren't notorious for their racial stereotypes either.

Keep in mind that the first part of my post wasn't intended for you alone.
Black people have naturally curly hair, I don't get your point. As for her apron we know absolutely nothing about any other professions Aroe may have. She may very well be a cook.

Besides both being black, Aunt Jemima and Aroe have absolutely nothing in common, and you know that. Even so, do you have to point that out? It's not as though anyone particularly cares.

Anyways, just as Cyaeron said, it's best to drop the subject. I'm sure Game Freak didn't take Jemima into mind when designing Aroe.

God, you guys are un-freaking-believable.
GameFreak puts only white characters into games, you call them racist.
They put as black character in, you call racism.

There is nothing wrong with Aloe's design. You guys, by saying that it is racist, you are being racist yourselves. :|

gliscor&yanmega

God, you guys are un-freaking-believable.
GameFreak puts only white characters into games, you call them racist.
They put as black character in, you call racism.

There is nothing wrong with Aloe's design. You guys, by saying that it is racist, you are being racist yourselves. :|

There is always going to be someone who will complain about something, it's sad really but that's the case.

Really when I first saw Aloe's full body I didn't think of anything of it other then her looking a lot different then I was expecting(And that's more about her looking obese, although it could just be the clothes).

Although saying something/someone is racist doesn't mean you're racist. It could mean you're ignorant depending on the situation.

hitoshura0

Keep in mind that the first part of my post wasn't intended for you alone.
Black people have naturally curly hair, I don't get your point. As for her apron we know absolutely nothing about any other professions Aroe may have. She may very well be a cook.

Besides both being black, Aunt Jemima and Aroe have absolutely nothing in common, and you know that. Even so, do you have to point that out? It's not as though anyone particularly cares.

They may not have been based on but to me they look similar. If she was toned and wore a tennis uniform, I'd say she looks like Serena/Venus Williams. If she had long, straight hair and had some kind of long dress, maybe like a 90's pop star, and if she wore some kind of sequined gown with that hair, I'd say she'd be similar to a motown singer. That outfit makes her look like that to me, and I'll stick by that.

Anyways, just as Cyaeron said, it's best to drop the subject. I'm sure Game Freak didn't take Jemima into mind when designing Aroe.

I agree they didn't take her in mind when designing her. To say otherwise is foolish and makes you look uninformed. And I'll drop it until some other "noble" soul says that bashing her makes you a racist. That to me is the graver sin than calling her racist, which also is frowned upon and will taste my wrath.

KuroiMawile

hm... I'm almost surprised N-many people call themselves black AND like pokemon.
Why do none of you live up here!
So. The 'Castle-mansion' is almost undeniably, most definately, could be the musical-hut. That little hobble Ar/loe is supposed to be in may be a 'battle cafe' with a secret room.

Or you know. Ar/loe is the true antagonist who holds the key to finding the third legendary of Nothingness.

How 'bout that desert?

Jayd Sky

I am black, and when I saw Aloe's* design I just thought "oh, so I guess it is based on New York, so they're including more of the ethnic diversity found there", then I come on here and see all this about Aunt Jemima? Seriously? If she was white would there be a few pages on how she looks like Martha Stewart? I hope so.

*Yes, I'm pretty sure it's Aloe. Like the plant. It is spelled with an 'r' because Japanese doesn't have the 'l' sound in their alphabet. Aloe makes sense to me. 'Aroe' is awkward.

hitoshura0

i think the airport is gona take us to hoenn.... just a feeling in my gut.

I would have to say your feeling is wrong. We've heard nothing of another region, and with all this talk of a fresh new start, it looks extremely unlikely we'll get a second region. Not to mention that getting a second region is a bad thing.

I am black, and when I saw Aloe's design I just thought "oh, so I guess it is based on New York, so they're including more of the ethnic diversity found there", then I come on here and see all this about Aunt Jemima? Seriously? If she was white would there be a few pages on how she looks like Martha Stewart? I hope so.

Nah, it'd be more like the old Cinnamon Toast Crunch Chefs. Not Martha Stewart, she doesn't look fat or is related to food products.

Last edited:

Cyaeron

i think the airport is gona take us to hoenn.... just a feeling in my gut.

o_O When were we introduced to an airport?? Am I missing something?
And if there is an airport, that's highly unlikely, I think. GF is going to seize every opportunity to make money, so if Hoenn plays a role this generation, it's going to be a remake.

superkal388

Kanto SuperTrainer
lol poor african american users here wut with all the aunt jemima stuff and all, even i think its rediculous, the picture was over the top but made me laugh hysterically only because of the rediculous lifespan of the current discussion XD i mean seriously, am i the only one to have thought of the housemaid from tom and jerry instead? ROFL

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Whatever, I'll leave Aroe alone, she's been through so much the last couple of days and hey, she hasn't even been featured in the anime or in the games yet since they aren't even out.

I've got beef with Mr. Wine aka Dento. I think his name's a bit weird, sounds like something you'd see in the toothpaste aisle. I'm assuming it means something else in Japanese though, like "green" or "apron" or something; these names always stem from something relating to the character's design. Speaking of his design, I was hoping he'd be based on just a butler but apparently he's based on a sommelier, a wine steward? How is that good for kids, if one of the main characters in the game and anime has some experience with wines? And what's with this green hair trend? First N, now Dento.

hitoshura0

lol poor african american users here wut with all the aunt jemima stuff and all, even i think its rediculous, the picture was over the top but made me laugh hysterically only because of the rediculous lifespan of the current discussion XD i mean seriously, am i the only one to have thought of the housemaid from tom and jerry instead? ROFL

You laugh but the maid from Tom and Jerry was also a black stereotype back in the day. Not that you should be surprised. The xenophobia of Japan has been pretty well documented, and our "first" ethnic character in Pokemon being a stereotype isn't entirely too surprising. I mean look at Surge, the definition of war-loving American.

gliscor&yanmega

Whatever, I'll leave Aroe alone, she's been through so much the last couple of days and hey, she hasn't even been featured in the anime or in the games yet since they aren't even out.

I've got beef with Mr. Wine aka Dento. I think his name's a bit weird, sounds like something you'd see in the toothpaste aisle. I'm assuming it means something else in Japanese though, like "green" or "apron" or something; these names always stem from something relating to the character's design. Speaking of his design, I was hoping he'd be based on just a butler but apparently he's based on a sommelier, a wine steward? How is that good for kids, if one of the main characters in the game and anime has some experience with wines? And what's with this green hair trend? First N, now Dento.

I don't know where people have gotten the idea he is based on a Sommelier. Was it confirmed? And if he is based on that then that doesn't mean he will be selling win or anything, they could always just replace wine with juice or something.

Two people have green hair and it's consider a trend? There is probably a lot of different characters in here with different color hair. Two people with green hair is nothing.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
Ummm...correct me if I am wrong but, can't we just play a game and NOT compare characters at all to any sort of race? Can't we just assume they are just ordinary, everyday people in a game who battle with Pokemon and may have side-jobs and other careers? Why must we stoop a level that doesn't need to be stooped to in the first pace?

ITS. A. GAME. Not real life. I thought there were arguments stating that Pokemon is far from being anything authentic or real in terms of reality, so why are people so compelled to busticate these games by playing the race card or stereotype card every chance they get? Just look at the pictures, keep your racial and stereotypical opinions to thyself, and move on. Post opinions that a deemed worthy of being said, like what you think of the overall design of the characters or what you think they will be whether it be a Gym Leader, Elite 4, etc. and don't bring this board down to level it possibly can't recover from.

But that's just my opinion.

hitoshura0

Ummm...correct me if I am wrong but, can't we just play a game and NOT compare characters at all to any sort of race? Can't we just assume they are just ordinary, everyday people in a game who battle with Pokemon and may have side-jobs and other careers? Why must we stoop a level that doesn't need to be stooped to in the first pace?

ITS. A. GAME. Not real life. I thought there were arguments stating that Pokemon is far from being anything authentic or real in terms of reality, so why are people so compelled to busticate these games by playing the race card or stereotype card every chance they get? Just look at the pictures, keep your racial and stereotypical opinions to thyself, and move on. Post opinions that a deemed worthy of being said, like what you think of the overall design of the characters or what you think they will be whether it be a Gym Leader, Elite 4, etc. and don't bring this board down to level it possibly can't recover from.

But that's just my opinion.

As sane as your words are, which is very, your target audience is unfortunately too stupid to understand this. It'll disappear after the games are released and people play them, like the RE5 fiasco that happened. Unfortunately, you are preaching to the choir.

Grei

not the color
I don't know where people have gotten the idea he is based on a Sommelier. Was it confirmed? And if he is based on that then that doesn't mean he will be selling win or anything, they could always just replace wine with juice or something.

It's in his Japanese character description. He's a "Pokemon Sommelier", whatever that means. Maybe that means he specializes in making some sort of juice beverage for Pokemon akin to Pokeblocks, Pofin and Aprishakes.

Hey! Maybe that's his role in the game. Maybe he's a "Pokemon Juice" vendor, and he sells beverages that alter your Pokemon's battle/contest stats.

That'd make him even more like Brock.

Status
Not open for further replies.