• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAncient

Many words in Japanese are pronounced differently than they're written in English. Just like stomach. It's not pronounced STO-MACH, it's pronounced STU-MEC. Each language has different rules.

Rakurai

I've heard that rumor, too.

Kind of hard to know whether it's true or false, though.

I'm positive that Victini can be shiny, as it's a stationary pokémon.

It would be impossible only if it were a Mystery Gift pokémon. And even then, it *could* be shiny, but then it would have a fixed nature.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I heard that the Liberty Island Victini can't be shiny ... Is this true? I really want to go for a legit shiny of Victini.

I don't think it's true, but it could be possible for Game Freak to set a Pokemon to be non-Shiny. If they can make a Pokemon be Shiny all the time, then it must be possible to do the reverse. The only issue there is that Victini has a Shiny sprite, so there must be a way of obtaining a Shiny version. Otherwise, that sprite is a waste of space.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I don't think it's true, but it could be possible for Game Freak to set a Pokemon to be non-Shiny. If they can make a Pokemon be Shiny all the time, then it must be possible to do the reverse. The only issue there is that Victini has a Shiny sprite, so there must be a way of obtaining a Shiny version. Otherwise, that sprite is a waste of space.

Well arceus has a ??? sprite pallate despite being unobtainable. So it's likely crash-fail-safe if you can't get it shiny. and it's easy to set an OW encounter to not be shiny (in PPRE I'm pretty sure you leave it (pokemon's number) 50(level) 0(non-shiny).

Last edited:

Lorde

Well arceus has a ??? sprite pallate despite being unobtainable. So it's likely crash-fail-safe if you can't get it shiny. and it's easy to set an OW encounter to not be shiny (in PPRE I'm pretty sure you leave it (pokemon's number) 50(level) 0(non-shiny).

Oh I totally forgot about that sprite. I guess the Shiny Victini sprite is just there for similar reasons then. I've never really understood how a single sprite would prevent a crash though; it might be worth looking in to. I'm still fairly sure that Victini can be Shiny. I mean, why prevent it from being Shiny in the first place? I'd be more than willing to test it out by soft-reseting for one, but I already captured mine :c

BCVM22

I've never really understood how a single sprite would prevent a crash though; it might be worth looking in to.

What needs looking into? In a game like Pokémon, programmers have to account for every possibility, even if it is 100% impossible for those outcomes to occur in normal gameplay.

As pointed out, it's the same reason Arceus has a ???-type sprite, despite the fact that there's no plate of that type (nor will there ever be, anyone who wants to try and tell me "maybe they can give it out as an event item!" will be flogged mercilessly) and Arceus can't be made to take that type in any normal gameplay: because for official purposes, debugging a game often takes programmers into nooks and crannies that normal gameplay never will and for unofficial purposes, so that the game doesn't explode when people hack in and do whatever it is that they do.

saikkussu

Well thanks for the Debate <3 i'mma try for that shiny victini and if i do catch it I will be sure to let this club know. But a week tops though- if I can't get a shiny by soft resetting for a week straight- then its never going to be shiny.

Well thanks for the Debate <3 i'mma try for that shiny victini and if i do catch it I will be sure to let this club know. But a week tops though- if I can't get a shiny by soft resetting for a week straight- then its never going to be shiny.

But that's not how testing works >__>

The best method to know whether or not Victini can be shiny is by looking into the RNG algorithms. But, as I've said already, it most likely can be shiny, just as every single other stationary pokémon.

Last edited:

moonlightning

It's a real shame that the 1.5x defence boost to ice types was just a rumour... I was making a hail stall time, Walrien would have defied all logic.

What about that strange place you can't legitimately get to yet, the tower?

myriada

I just heard that Black and White can hold about 16 Wonder Cards, compared to just 3 as was the case in Generation 4. That's great news I suppose. It means that players won't have to decide between deleting an old Wonder Card and getting a new one. Believe it or not, some people still feel attached to them so hopefully this'll even things out. It'll be interesting as more Wi-Fi events are released. Kumashun's event is next so I personally can't wait :3
12 to be exact. Oh, and Kumasyun's event is available now.

Of some reason, I did not find out what you got if you pre-ordered the games. As it was no figures this time, was it only the gamebox(I am pretty sure this is the wrong word, but I am talking about the ting the game card is in) with the legendaries tails being active or was it someting more/else?
You got SounDrops which play Zekrom/Reshiram's cries.

Lorde

12 to be exact. Oh, and Kumasyun's event is available now.

Yeah there are 12 slots. I posted that there were 16 on the 14th, but I fixed that on the 17th by asking a friend about the slots and I then posted saying there were 12 of those discovered, here. Serebii confirmed that there were 12 a few days later I think. It doesn't matter in my case though, as I'll never get more than a few Wonder Cards haha. I only have 1 so far and it's for the Liberty Ticket. I still need to collect the Kumashun so thanks for reminding me.

Also, I found something interesting regarding those underwater ruins near Sazanami Town:

As is typical of Game Freak, the secrets of the ruins are written down in ancient script (this time in cuneiform) found on walls. Some fans at 2ch decoded the characters, and it turned out that almost all of characters are meant to be substituted with the alphabet letters, which is to say that the messages are essentially written in English (unlike the Unown text in Johto and Sinnoh, which was written in romaji in the Japanese versions; similarly, the braille in Hoenn and the Sevii Islands was code for hiragana characters).

This page has the decoded text (in English) as well as the Japanese translation. The text is as follows:

Quote:
Listen to King's words.
Primes lead to truth.
King is brave.
King never loses hope.
King is kind.
King has a dream.
King is adventurous.
King accepts all.
King turns 2nd corner.
King turns 3rd corner.
King turns 5th corner.
King turns 7th corner.
Have the heart of King.
Here we praise King.
King's light shines.
King moves his people.
King acts with love.
King fought hatred.
No king gets lost.
Go on, brave king.

Life is gratitude.
Eating is receiving life.
Good or evil isn't all.
Do not be barbaric.
One must not waste.
All is precious.
Wars create tears.

King talks to all beings.
Saved all from waves.
King is hope for all.
Think act with love.

King defeated ③ alone.
④ joined King in a day.
King called ⑤ beings.
King is hope and future.
The great King ⑥.

The first two paragraphs seem rather extraneous and full of so-called words of wisdom, not unlike some of the braille text in Generation III. I think that Game Freak were just being pompous by referencing prime numbers, of which 2, 3, 5 and 7 are examples.

The last paragraphs are a mystery. ③, ④, ⑤ and ⑥ denote characters that aren't interchangeable with alphabet letters, possibly representing three or four Pokémon. In fact, the order of ③ and ④ is reversed between Black and White, suggesting that they either pertain to Reshiram and Zekrom (as the wiki suggests) or to Tornelos and Voltolos. Now, the king is said to have defeated Reshiram/Zekrom and befriended its counterpart, whereas the legend told in the main story asserts that the two Dragons were split from the same Pokémon (by the twin heroes that had founded Isshu together with that Pokémon). Unless Game Freak wanted to compound the Dragons' origin story, the story told in the ruins would seem to be in reference to the Genie trio. But then, what would that mean? That Landlos is actually a human in disguise, and this is what makes it different from its counterparts? The trio lack any sort of established backstory that would either support or rule out this possibility.

If we do interpret the text as referencing Reshiram and Zekrom, then the problem lies in that the king is said to have defeated Reshiram/Zekrom and befriended its counterpart, whereas the legend told in the main story asserts that the two Dragons were split from the same Pokémon (by the twin heroes that had founded Isshu together with that Pokémon). Considering that the items in the ruins date back 3000 years, that would almost certainly mean that Reshiram and Zekrom started out as a pair only to be merged at some point, and then they were split again by the twin heroes. This renders the theory somewhat cumbersome, but it still has its merits.

On the one hand, the mythology in the main story is fairly straightforward as it can be understood as a reference to the founding fathers of the US (and also to the civil war, seeing as Isshu was also destroyed in a war at one point by the sons of the twin heroes). On the other hand, we have these underwater ruins, whose story is told through an odd script which few players will bother to decode. It is possible that Game Freak created this ambiguity in preparation for the third version, since Black and White's plot as-is doesn't leave much room for Kyurem. Perhaps Kyurem had nothing to do with the founding of Isshu, but it used to be the king of the civilization that had lived there before. Perhaps some event made the king turn into a Pokémon, as well as causing Reshiram and Zekrom to co-exist as one being. This would mean that ③ is Reshiram/Zekrom and ④ is the other one, with ⑤ being their combined entity and ⑥ being a humanoid Kyurem.

In the third version, Kyurem might wish to battle N due to the latter taking the former's position. It is possible that the king sacrificed himself so that Reshiram and Zekrom could be as one, and so it would pain Kyurem to see the two split again. The only problem I could see is this: Would Kyurem be able to revert its form to that of the original king? We don't actually know that the king was ever an ordinary person, but even if that were the case, I could still see Kyurem having a more majestic form which it would gain by holding the Ancient Crown (the last item found in the ruins) in the third version. Granted, the item is already accessible in Black and White and has no such effect, but the NPC who buys the item implies that there is more to the crown than meets the eye.

In summary, it seems that much like the Solaceon Ruins foreshadowed HGSS and the Sinjoh Ruins event ("All lives touch other lives to create something anew and alive."), the Underwater Ruins hint at Black and White's third version. The finer details are tentative (the Japanese wiki proposes different theories from mine), but this gives us more to discuss than Rayquaza and Giratina ever did.

Last edited:

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
After reading about about the Global Battle Union on a recent Serebii news article I got the wonderful news that the Random Match feature in Pokemon Black and White has BANNED ALMOST ALL LENENDARIES!!! I was so happy to learn about this! It really made my day! Anyone who has read the article and seen the list of banned Pokemon knows that this is a victory for all NON LEGENDARY Pokemon users! Thats right! The Pokemon company agrees with us! We are the Majority and you LEGENDARY USERS are the cult. HAIL NINTENDO!! And like always... Real Trainers DON`T USE LEGENDARIES!!!

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
After reading about about the Global Battle Union on a recent Serebii news article I got the wonderful news that the Random Match feature in Pokemon Black and White has BANNED ALMOST ALL LENENDARIES!!! I was so happy to learn about this! It really made my day! Anyone who has read the article and seen the list of banned Pokemon knows that this is a victory for all NON LEGENDARY Pokemon users! Thats right! The Pokemon company agrees with us! We are the Majority and you LEGENDARY USERS are the cult. HAIL NINTENDO!! And like always... Real Trainers DON`T USE LEGENDARIES!!!

Sponge

Has it not always been like this though? With things like the battle frontier legendaries were banned.

Game Freak aren't fools, they know that Legendaries have unfair advantages.....that's one of the things that makes them legendary.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Well, the ones with really high stats and the Event Pokémon anyway. The former is because of the unfair advantage in battle; the latter is to restrict battling to Pokémon that all players have a chance to obtain.

Took me a few years to figure out why Phione was banned from the Battle Tower and Battle Frontier...

Status
Not open for further replies.