• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grei

not the color
In my opinion, the only set of Pokemon that actually holds well on its own is the third generation. The second gen "completes" the first gen, while the 4th gen is sort of a reconciliation of the first three. The 5th gen is probably the second closest to being a "complete" set, but to me it seems like they purposely made it open for a sixth gen.

Are you kidding me? The 5th Gen is the most complete Generation we've had. 3rd Gen still builds on previous gens with Wynaut and Azurill, and besides that, the 3rd Gen wasn't as great a mix of Pokemon as the 5th Gen. Meanwhile, the 5th Gen is 100% separate from previous generations. And I fail to see how it "leaves itself open for a sixth gen." We have only a few standalones that really have room to grow, and a small amount of 2-stage Pokemon that can really be built off of (which is the same case for the 3rd Gen).

3rd Gen had a complete-ish feel, but 5th Gen takes the cake, hands-down.

BCVM22

Black and White are dull, very basic colours, and adding a more interesting (for like of a better word) colour to the series just wouldn't really fit in.

All speculation on the title of the third game is equally baseless. Four years ago, people were convinced they'd be playing "Pokémon Opal" in a year or so; how'd that turn out?

Best thing to do is just ignore all of it for now.

ForeverFlame

Let's talk about how incomplete the fourth generation was.

Looking back, I can't believe we tolerated the crap that Gamefreak gave us. 78 Pokemon that weren't tied to previous Pokemon. And 14 of them were Legendary, so the actual total was 64. Compared to that, both the third and the fifth generations are a blessing.

The sixth generation will probably be an expansion pack generation like the second and fourth generations, but I hope it introduces 150 Pokemon instead of 100. Not to mention evolutions that aren't ugly as sin. That would make it a little bit bearable.

R_N

Let's talk about how incomplete the fourth generation was.

Looking back, I can't believe we tolerated the crap that Gamefreak gave us. 78 Pokemon that weren't tied to previous Pokemon. And 14 of them were Legendary, so the actual total was 64. Compared to that, both the third and the fifth generations are a blessing.
That...that doesn't mean there were less Pokemon. At all. Just because they evolve/have connections with past Pokemon and there were legendaries, doesn't take away from the generation.

Not to mention evolutions that aren't ugly as sin. That would make it a little bit bearable.

They really weren't that ugly.

The only problems I have with DPPt's designs is that some evos seemed unnecessarily fat (not that it's bad, but it was like they overdid the "bigger and fatter" rule with the cross-gen evolutions), and that we had... too much blue/purple/black. The amount of blue is unbelievable, and it's almost close to purplish/dark gray/black pokémon; go here and check from Mime Jr. to Magnezone, it's almost insulting. You don't have it with B/W, and that's something I really loved about the designs.

EDIT -- Lol actually you could even go as far as starting from Ambipom or Cherubi...

Last edited:

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I actually like the new evolutions more so than the new new Pokemon in Diamond and Pearl, looking back.

So, yeah, definitely a Gen in terms of Pokemon that I've come to find a bit lacking in retrospect...it and Gen II are probably tied for least favorite Gen, although I certainly don't hate them.

R_N

The only problems I have with DPPt's designs is that some evos seemed unnecessarily fat (not that it's bad, but it was like they overdid the "bigger and fatter" rule with the cross-gen evolutions), and that we had... too much blue/purple/black. The amount of blue is unbelievable, and it's almost close to purplish/dark gray/black pokémon; go here and check from Mime Jr. to Magnezone, it's almost insulting. You don't have it with B/W, and that's something I really loved about the designs.

EDIT -- Lol actually you could even go as far as starting from Ambipom or Cherubi...

I always liked the dark pallet of gen 4. It kind of "fit", you know? With the region and so?
Like, gen 3 was bright and vibrant, with lots of contrast which I thought fit the tropicalish Hoenn
Gen 2 always seemed sort of pastels, and that fit with Johto I thought.

I always liked the dark pallet of gen 4. It kind of "fit", you know? With the region and so?
Like, gen 3 was bright and vibrant, with lots of contrast which I thought fit the tropicalish Hoenn
Gen 2 always seemed sort of pastels, and that fit with Johto I thought.

That must be it, maybe I just don't think it fits Sinnoh at all. Or maybe I just think they had a poor color balance anyway...

R_N

That must be it, maybe I just don't think it fits Sinnoh at all.

Well the region in general seemed a bit darker and colder, with a more...what's the word...subdued? color pallet. To me, anyway.

Out of curiosity, what do you think would fit Sinnoh? Always curious to see what people think of these type of things.

RedMage23

The Red Mage
Like I said, the main purpose of the 4th gen Pokemon was to make the 3rd gen blend in better with the first two. At least, that's the way I see it. The only reason I say that the 5th gen is not quite complete is because I always found myself itching for the old Pokemon throughout White version, but that's most likely nostalgia more than anything.

Sabonea_Masukippa

The sixth generation will probably be an expansion pack generation like the second and fourth generations, but I hope it introduces 150 Pokemon instead of 100. Not to mention evolutions that aren't ugly as sin. That would make it a little bit bearable.

If we assume about 100 Pokemon and a Johto/Sinnoh style Dex there's a ton we can come to assume about Gen 6's make up:

X6 3-stage lines (incl. starters and a psuedo-legendary)
X18-20 2-stage lines
X7 Pre-evos
4-5 Alternate evos (incl. (possibly) 2 Eevee-evolutions)
6-17 Extra-evos (G.2 had 6, G.4 had 17)
X1 Pika-clone
No fewer than 10 legends
Although Gen 2 had 22 non-evolving non-legends there's been a trend against them in the last 2 gens, so those 1 stagers may be closer to Gen 4's 5.

There may also be:
A 2-stage ground/water Pokemon found earlish in the game (Wooper/Sheilos)
At least one 2-stage Bug Pokemon for early game (Ledyba/Spinarak/Kriketot)
A later game 2-stage Ground type based on a large African mammal (Hippopotas/Phanphy)
A 3-stage electric Pokemon found early in the game (Mareep/Shinx).
A 2-stage normal rodent found in the early game (Rattata/Sentret/Zigzagoon/Bidoof/Patrat)
A 2/3 stage normal/flying bird (Pidgey/Spearow/Hoot-hoot/Tailow/Starly/Pidove)
A 2 stage pure Grass family with some connection to the sun (Sunkern/Cherubi)

If they follow Sinnoh more, we may also see these (as opposed to Jhoto which didn't include them as they were more of a 'sequel' to Kanto's Pokemon):
2 2-stage Fossil Pokemon
A 2-stage cat Pokemon (possibly of normal type -Meowth/Skitty/Purugly/Purrloin)
A stand alone non-legend Grass type (Tangela/Tropius/Carnivine/Maractus)
A 2-stage Dual Grass type family, usually in the second half of the dex (Exeggcute/Cacnea*/Snover/Ferroseed)

*Obviously Cacnea is a pure Grass, but it gains Dark upon evolution, so like Tropius, it is a bit of an exception (Tropius being the only one of its group to be a dual-type)

And now that you all think I'm crazy and have put too much thought into all this, I'll add that it's possible that cross-gen evos next gen may be largely or exclusively limited to Unovan Pokemon. Just a thought.

that we had... too much blue/purple/black. The amount of blue is unbelievable, and it's almost close to purplish/dark gray/black pokémon; go here and check from Mime Jr. to Magnezone, it's almost insulting. You don't have it with B/W, and that's something I really loved about the designs.

Oh goodness, I thought I was the only one to notice this!

Last edited:

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
If we assume about 100 Pokemon and a Johto/Sinnoh style Dex there's a ton we can come to assume about Gen 6's make up:

X6 3-stage lines (incl. starters and a psuedo-legendary)
X18-20 2-stage lines
X7 Pre-evos
4-5 Alternate evos (incl. (possibly) 2 Eevee-evolutions)
6-17 Extra-evos (G.2 had 6, G.4 had 17)
X1 Pika-clone
No fewer than 10 legends
Although Gen 2 had 22 non-evolving non-legends there's been a trend against them in the last 2 gens, so those 1 stagers may be closer to Gen 4's 5.

There may also be:
A 2-stage ground/water Pokemon found earlish in the game (Wooper/Sheilos)
At least one 2-stage Bug Pokemon for early game (Ledyba/Spinarak/Kriketot)
A later game 2-stage Ground type based on a large African mammal (Hippopotas/Phanphy)
A 3-stage electric Pokemon found early in the game (Mareep/Shinx).
A 2-stage normal rodent found in the early game (Rattata/Sentret/Zigzagoon/Bidoof/Patrat)
A 2/3 stage normal/flying bird (Pidgey/Spearow/Hoot-hoot/Tailow/Starly/Pidove)
A 2 stage pure Grass family with some connection to the sun (Sunkern/Cherubi)

If they follow Sinnoh more, we may also see these (as opposed to Jhoto which didn't include them as they were more of a 'sequel' to Kanto's Pokemon):
2 2-stage Fossil Pokemon
A 2-stage cat Pokemon (possibly of normal type -Meowth/Skitty/Purugly/Purrloin)
A stand alone non-legend Grass type (Tangela/Tropius/Carnivine/Maractus)
A 2-stage Dual Grass type family, usually in the second half of the dex (Exeggcute/Cacnea*/Snover/Ferroseed)

*Obviously Cacnea is a pure Grass, but it gains Dark upon evolution, so like Tropius, it is a bit of an exception (Tropius being the only one of its group to be a dual-type)

And now that you all think I'm crazy and have put too much thought into all this, I'll add that it's possible that cross-gen evos next gen may be largely or exclusively limited to Unovan Pokemon. Just a thought.

Oh goodness, I thought I was the only one to notice this!

Besides that, what do you expect the two sixth-gen games to be called?

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Since some people are a bit mad at the lack of a Vs. Seeker, I bet Gamefreak will remember to put that in Grey/Cobalt.

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
Since some people are a bit mad at the lack of a Vs. Seeker, I bet Gamefreak will remember to put that in Grey/Cobalt.

Some people? Most people are upset by it. Training a team post-E4 is really annoying now that you have to battle the exact same Sport Dome trainers day after day and once you do that, you can no longer train for the day.

If the third game doesn't have the VS Seeker I will be disappointed, but I feel like they're not going to put it in, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

R_N

You say "remember" as if they forgot to put it in the first place.

They'll probably put it in Grey, don't get me wrong, but I'm certain it will be for another selling point next to "N's true name!" and "Kyurem's new forms" and maybe even "3DS enhanced!" and not because they went "Hey did we forget something last game OH NO WE LET IT SHIP AND EVERYTHING D:" or "Wow these guys don't like not having rematches"

article quote words end quote

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Let's speculate on Kyurem's new form (if there is one):
Kyurem's doctor will heal its scoliosis and it'll be taller and have more wings.
Its arms will look stronger and its skull structure will seem to relate to Giratina's Origin Forme.

LexSuicune

Feraligatr Master
I'm sure Kyurem will look great animated you guys need to chill with the new forme it's not even necessary imo, Kyurem's design's perfect.

Shiny Arcanine

eh on kyurem.......and yes Vs Seeker needs to return in a big way.
by common logic we can say that 6th gen will start showing new pokemon in early 2014 and being released near august or september of that year with a 2015 release for U.S and UK. I dont understand why some people are already bored with the 5th gen im still drooling over meloettes cry its by far one of the best in the game. Has it been released in japan yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.