• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Speculation/Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
So, you don't see a Zebra because... it doesn't have enough stripes?

It's Pokemon. They don't always shoot for realism.

It's not like I'm saying "There's only 132, it needs at least 140!" That thing has five. Five. Five stripes doesn't jump out and shout "ZEBRA" at me. Zebra have stripes all over their bodies, and they have many, MANY of them. It's their defining characteristic.

Last edited:

rocky505

Not to be mean or anything but saying Shimama isn't a zebra for not having enough stripes is like saying Ariados is not a spider since it only has 4 legs.

Chaos Rush

It's not like I'm saying "There's only 132, it needs at least 140!" That thing has five. Five. Five stripes doesn't jump out and shout "ZEBRA" at me. Zebra have stripes all over their bodies, and they have many, MANY of them. It's their defining characteristic.
Pikachu and Sandshrew are both classified as mouse Pokemon in the Pokedex. Do either of them actually look like mice? No.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Not to be mean or anything but saying Shimama isn't a zebra for not having enough stripes is like saying Ariados is not a spider since it only has 4 legs.

I don't call Ariados a spider, either. It has four legs and two (possibly compound) eyes. It's more insectoid than it is arachnid.

Chaos Rush said:
Pikachu and Sandshrew are both classified as mouse Pokemon in the Pokedex. Do either of them actually look like mice? No.

But, the Pokedex classifies Pikachu as the "Mouse" Pokemon. It does NOT do that with Shimama or (as the conversation seems to be swinging) Ariados. As for Sandshrew, it actually does look like a shrew.

Last edited:

rocky505

Ariados is a spider it even learns moves with spider in the name.

Kuraikarasu

Isn't that Dandy?
Ariados is a spider it even learns moves with spider in the name.

and isn't it classified as the spider pokemon too?

correct me if i'm wrong

Achernar

star-mapping pro
Why are some people so much into details? @_@

It's pokemon, you can't completely expect it to be very similar to an actual animal.

It's like saying Skitty and Delcatty aren't cats 'coz they don't have whiskers @_@

rocky505

and isn't it classified as the spider pokemon too?

correct me if i'm wrong
No it is the long leg 0_o but here is what it is based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmarachne_formicaria a jumping SPIDER. Like someone said earlier the Pokemon does not have to completely match what it is based on. so to end the discussion Ariados does not need 8 legs, and Shimama does not need an entire body of stripes.

Chaos Rush

But, the Pokedex classifies Pikachu as the "Mouse" Pokemon. It does NOT do that with Shimama or (as the conversation seems to be swinging) Ariados. As for Sandshrew, it actually does look like a shrew.
Girafarig is classified as a Long Neck Pokemon, does that make it based on a Long Neck, not a giraffe?
Zapdos is classified as an Electric Pokemon, does that make it based on an Electric, not a bird?

Last edited:

pickledArbok

to be honest people interpret things differently to others and some people just have special interpretations of what they see, i for one see bottle opener when i see bronzong and bottle cap when i see bronzor, but yeah i do think shimama looks totally like a zebra :) and i think it looks great, my fav new poke

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
No it is the long leg 0_o but here is what it is based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrmarachne_formicaria a jumping SPIDER

A spider that has 8 legs, mind you.

Like someone said earlier the Pokemon does not have to completely match what it is based on. so to end the discussion Ariados does not need 8 legs, and Shimama does not need an entire body of stripes.

And, when they make arbitrary relations like that, it makes it difficult for some people to see what it's based on. I never said that it wasn't based on a zebra, I said that I don't see how it can be a zebra. Big difference, dude.

Remember, I don't speak Japanese, so how am I supposed to know what Shimama means? Without that as an indicator, there's nothing that strikes me as "Zebra-esque" about Shimama.

Deal with it.

Girafarig is classified as a Long Neck Pokemon, does that make it based on a Long Neck, not a giraffe?
Zapdos is classified as an Electric Pokemon, does that make it based on an Electric, not a bird?

Zapdos looks like a bird. It has all the defining characteristics of a bird: wings, scrawny legs, and a beak.

Girafarig has "Giraffe" as part of it's own name, which is a dead giveaway.

Don't try to say that Shimama has "Zebra" in it's name, because as I already said multiple times before (and people seem to keep ignoring) I don't speak japanese, so how was I supposed to know that Shimama loosely translates to have something to do with Zebra?

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I think Shimama is just a pre-evo. It's evolution could tell us if it's a zebra or an okapi. But I think it's probably a zebra with touches of okapi in it.

I could see them tacking a Pegasus evolution onto Rapidash and a Cerebrus evolution onto Houndoom; it's just a matter of time, it would be completing the myth behind each of them. Plus they seem like a pair just waiting for evolutions. A three-headed version of Houndoom (maybe with swirling black flames) would probably polarize fans of Houndoom, some would think it's horrible and weird, others would think it's original and cool.

If we get a Sphinx Pokemon; and not just the English name, "Shinx" that really doesn't make its namesake a genuine sphinx, I suspect it'll probably be a pretty powerful one-off or a legendary. If they decided to cover that legend I think they'd really put effort into it, since sphinxes have so much importance ascribed to them worldwide.

Silver_Seoul

If Ariados isn't a spider then Ditto isn't a pink blob. What else could it possibly be?

And Shimama didn't jump out and scream zebra because it has five stripes? Skitty doesn't have whiskers that jump out and yell "kitty," so what should I call it?

Achernar

star-mapping pro
I wonder what does Shimama look like for Her/Him @_@

Anyway, I think Shimama and Hihidaruma would be grunt favorites just like Stunky and Glameow

rocky505

Lol knights do ride horses so Shimama/Ponyta maybe used for them.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I wonder what does Shimama look like for Her/Him @_@

To be quite honest, I didn't know WHAT it was. Much like I don't know what Munna, Musharna, Rankurusu, Gochiruzeru, Zekrom, or Reshiram are supposedly based off of. I don't speak Japanese, so I can't rely on their names as an indicator. I can only look at what they might be, and maybe I'll get an idea.

EDIT: I know that Zekrom and Reshiram are based on Yin and Yang, but is that the ONLY inspiration behind them, or is there more to their design than that?

If Ariados isn't a spider then Ditto isn't a pink blob. What else could it possibly be?

And Shimama didn't jump out and scream zebra because it has five stripes? Skitty doesn't have whiskers that jump out and yell "kitty," so what should I call it?

Go back and read my previous posts. I've already explained why almost a dozen times now. I refuse to dignify your post with any more of a response than that.

Last edited:

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Skitty doesn't have whiskers that jump out and yell "kitty," so what should I call it?

Um...Skitty? That's it's name. What are you trying to prove? Pokemon have defining characteristics that make them different from actual animals, so I don't understand why it's a problem that Skitty doesn't have whiskers.

Honestly it doesn't matter that some people don't think Shimama looks like a zebra. Just leave them alone.

Personally, I think Shimama is a black quadruped with a few white stripes; it's the Electrike of this generation. It doesn't have to be based on one animal even, and like I said, it will probably evolve into something more reminiscent of a particular species.

Last edited:

Silver_Seoul

Go back and read my previous posts. I've already explained why almost a dozen times now. I refuse to dignify your post with any more of a response than that.

That was the reason I posted here; I read all of your posts and couldn't find out for the life of me what made you think Shimama was anything but a Zebra. No need to belittle me with all your high-and-mightyness.

Status
Not open for further replies.