• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Black and White Speculation/Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you're all going to go "DUH!" but I find it cool that on the New Pokemon pre-release page, there's crisp sugimori art, then worse quality screens, followed by even worse quality art (I'm NOT calling it beta art cos it's not.)

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I know you're all going to go "DUH!" but I find it cool that on the New Pokemon pre-release page, there's crisp sugimori art, then worse quality screens, followed by even worse quality art (I'm NOT calling it beta art cos it's not.)

What are you trying to say here? How is the relevant to anything at all?

TheDoctorWho

Timelord
5th gen

First i would Like to say that i am new to the forums , and I am really enjoying them so far.... I have read many, but not all of your thoughts on the new black and white pokemon games... I thought they were really interesting.... I have had a few thoughts but they are relatively minor... I would like to see Evolutions during battle rather than after the battle (I just think it would be cool ,and could provide that little extra stat boost to help you win)... Also if there is a return of contests (which is likely) I would like to see the ability to use more than one pokemon in them to make them more interesting because in the past I have not really liked contests

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
That wont make them any less annoying, however. Even if they do replace them then we'll just see tons of those Pokemon in their place, and everyone will come to hate them all the same. I'm fine with Zubat and Geodude, I'm just not fine with encountering Pokemon every third step. HG/SS, I'm looking at you.

You do know that the encounter rate in HGSS is increased when you're running, right? If you just walk through the grass or cave, it's not too different than in DPPt.

Although, I agree that the encounter rate system needs some tweaking. I'd like it if there were some way to set your player's movement as to alter your encounter rate (i.e. "sneaking" would give you a lower one, whereas "searching" would give you a higher one").

R_N

and Onosko means what exactly? is it the Japanese term for pseudo-legendaries?
It's the name of the axe dinosaur

Specifically
blatantly stolen from Dogasu said:
Ononokusu's name seems to come from ononokusu (戦くす), which means "to shake violently" or "to shudder." The word ono (斧), which means "axe" (which is fitting, since it has an axe for a head), is also in there. The kusu part could also be the Japanese way of rendering the -chus in dinosaur names like Marasuchus or Deinonychus, since the creature kind of resembles a dinosaur.

No, it's the name for the mantis Pokemon.
AXE DINOSAUR

While I have the tab open, here's the other puns for the ones we know
Sarcophagus
Deathkan is an interesting one. The desu part means "death" (see Death Note) which makes sense since it's a sarcophagus and all. The kaan part seems to come from kan (棺), which means "coffin." Japanese fans are also speculating that the kaan part comes from the Japanese way of spelling Tutankhamun, ツタンカーメン. The stray メ (me) there is explained away by saying that, like the real King Tut himself, the "eye" (which, in Japanese, is me) has been removed post-mortem. Yet another theory is that the カーン in the pokemon's name comes from the onomatopoeia of something being hit, referring to the theory that King Tut was killed by a blow to the back of his head.
Spider
# Dentula's name seems to be a mix of denki ("electricity") and tarantula (written out in Japanese as タランチュラ).
The moles
# Doryuuzu's name seems to be a mix of 土竜 (doryuu, or "mole") and 竜頭 (ryuuzu, or "crown").
# Moguryuu's name seems to be a mix of モグラ (mogura, or "mole"..."mogura" is the more common word used for the creature) and, possibly, doryuu, that other word for mole.

PKMN Trainer Manson

The moles

Didn't know that about Doryuuzu and Moguryuu, though. Well, I know the Mogur- part of Moguryuu but I didn't know the rest... that's pretty interesting.

Also, yay for calling Dentula Dentula and Deathkaan Deathkaan instead of just using the direct translations. :D Pretty sure the -kaan in Deathkaan is from the "kan" for coffin, just needlessly elongated, like in Tsutarja's name. Deathkarn is just hard to pronounce.

fubufubu

"Deathkan is an interesting one. The desu part means "death" (see Death Note) which makes sense since it's a sarcophagus and all." Desu does not MEAN death it's the japanese pronunciation of death

fubufubu

"Deathkan is an interesting one. The desu part means "death" (see Death Note) which makes sense since it's a sarcophagus and all." Desu does not MEAN death it's the japanese pronunciation of death

Grei

not the color
i really never got primary typer VS. secondary type....is there really a difference?

There actually is. I remember Mario with Lasers explaining it once...

Take Garchomp. It's a Dragon/Ground-type. For a minute, just look at the type. Since it's Dragon, and then Ground, we'd assume that it's a Dragon Pokemon with with characteristics of a Ground-type (it can't fly, it's classified as a 'Land Shark', it lives in caves, etc.). Look at Garchomp's design--it's indeed a Dragon with Ground characteristics.

Consider if it's typing was reversed to Ground/Dragon. That would mean that Garchomp is primarily a Ground-type with the characteristics of a Dragon. In other words, it'd look a lot like Onix--primarily something from the earth, but big, long, and fearsome, like a dragon.

See the difference? The Primary type is dictated by it's basis as a Pokemon. It's secondary type is usually decided by other elemental characteristics the Pokemon has.

Last edited:

R_N

Uh, it can fly, actually.

You'd never know it looking at its movepool but surprise!
Still has more characteristics of ground though, of course.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
You do know that the encounter rate in HGSS is increased when you're running, right? If you just walk through the grass or cave, it's not too different than in DPPt.

I definitely noticed it was worse while running, but even walking annoyed the **** out of me. Whatever it was in D/P/P (And all the other games? They seem the same to me) was fine, and it should be kept that way. It was one of the first things I noticed about HG/SS and one of the reasons I don't like it.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard

hever

022611229PM
I definitely noticed it was worse while running, but even walking annoyed the **** out of me. Whatever it was in D/P/P (And all the other games? They seem the same to me) was fine, and it should be kept that way. It was one of the first things I noticed about HG/SS and one of the reasons I don't like it.

Personally, it's more realistic in HS/SS with the pokemon appearance rates while walking/running. GF wanted to do something different with every generation and that's one of the things they incorporated within the game to keep it fresh. I didn't like the encounter rates while walking or running in DPP and the other previous games. Too monotonous.

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
I was gonna say something about that. Why was it that a huge back-and-forth flamefest started because of an obviously non-serious joke? People need to lighten up. >.>

Yeah, it was pretty pointless haha. Except I think the one person wanted to start a flame war after seeing his response, while the other person had no clue what was going on and actually took offense to the statement made. Haha.

I personally see some resemblance to the yellow mantis-dragon Pokemon. But I suppose that depends on if you see the spike on it's head as more blade-like (mantis) or more rock-like (Probopass/Heatran lovechild). For me, it could also be that that Pokemon almost resembles Larvitar and the yellow mantis was said to be like a skinny Tyranitar.

Actually, I can really see the resemblance to Larvitar, and in that sense, if I imagine the mantis to be like Tyranitar, I can really see that resemblance as well. I guess it depends on which features you pay attention to. After reading your post, I think I agree with your idea more, actually.

R_N

People keep saying this but it was exactly the same for me as it was in every single other game ever. And I ran. All the time.

(also if it's really a problem, repels. Not like you'll be short on money)

Status
Not open for further replies.