• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - HELP THREAD [Ask your questions here]

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Found a problem, Gardevoir doesn't have access to Magical Leaf when i visit the Move Tutor in Pastoria City. Any reason why it's not listed under previously known moves?

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
God, can someone give me advice. I have been trying for days to get a Girafarig statue in the underground for my base, and I've had no luck at all. I keep getting Poison or Dragon types. I know that it's all random, but is there a place normal type statues spawn more or something? It's driving me nuts haha.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Found a problem, Gardevoir doesn't have access to Magical Leaf when i visit the Move Tutor in Pastoria City. Any reason why it's not listed under previously known moves?
Magical Leaf was removed from Gardevoir's level-up move set in Gen 8, Gen 4-7 is when it could learn Magical Leaf by level up.

Pokefan_1987

Magical Leaf was removed from Gardevoir's level-up move set in Gen 8, Gen 4-7 is when it could learn Magical Leaf by level up.
Damn it there goes a viable coverage move that doesn't normally doesn't need a tm against Bertha's Quagsire and every other bulky Quagsire in the game since i don't have a lot of those. And Magical Leaf is also not a TM move. Why did they remove it.

It's no wonder my mobile pokemon apps are so severely outdated with info after gen 8 :mad: Does anyone know which Mobile Apps are recommended. (Aside from Bulbapedia Offline) I don't want to have to visit every page just to have them available offline when a simple search in a app is easier.

I currently use PokeInfo and dataDex.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I was thinking of battling Crasher Wake before Maylene to make this playthrough a little different from the original games, though I'm not sure how doing that will effect the two Team Galactic plots in Veilstone and Pastoria City. Does anyone know if
Dawn/Lucas losing their pokedex
and
the bombing of Lake Valor
will immediately are changed if you go in the opposite order, or do the events stay the same?

Reptargaryen

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with happiness/friendship? They used to be two separate things. Now they seem to be combined, though I've been checking my friendship poketch app and never saw any hearts when I'd click on my Buneary. And it just evolved into Lopunny...and still has no hearts showing.

My other question is, does anyone know how to do the final "special" task the Underground Man has? He mentioned something about different colored lights when spelunking in the Grand Underground. I finally saw this happen, as I came up on someone who was digging and the sparkles were a blue/white color. There were two sparkles next to each other. I dug from the one next to the person already digging. Went up and the Underground Man isn't recognizing I did it. I went back down and found someone else digging, and this time I went to the same sparkle they were digging from. Underground Man still isn't acknowledging I did it. D:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
out of curiousity, can your player wear tem galactic uniform? it was cool you could do that in sun/moon.

Mr Spaz

Loading title. Please wait.
Out of curiosity, since changing the time on your Switch pauses all daily events for 24 hours, does that stop your Feebas tiles from changing for the day?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Does anyone know where the move tutor that can teach Ice Punch can be found? I want to teach my Lucario that move so it can handle Cynthia's Garchomp.

I really want help with this. All i find on youtube and google are just Move Re-Learners and Deleters. Or it impossible to teach Lucario this move in the remakes?
The Move Tutor was only a Platinum thing, it didn’t exist in D/P, and thus doesn’t exist here either. You only get the Move Relearner and Move Deleter, no Move Tutor. You’ll probably rather want something with higher Speed that can learn an Ice-type move, like Weavile or Froslass. Floatzel with Ice Fang also an option.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
what are the large gems/spheres used for? the small ones get items but im not sure about the larger ones?
Different Hikers in the Grand Underground trade for different things. Some of them do ask for the large spheres in exchange for their goods.

Which moveset do u recommend to use for Ambipom?
If yours has Technician, you should take advantage of it by having moves with a base power of 60 or below. Technician allows Ambipom to deal a lot of damage from moves that normally wouldn't be worth much, most notably Fake Out and Double Hit.

What are all the methods these two games have in regards to raising a Pokemon's happiness?
The ones I know are as follows:
1. Traveling with the Pokémon on your team. Every 255 staps increases it by one point.
2. Leveling up.
3. Having the Pokémon walk behind you. Talking to it will increase it further provided you don't spam it.
4. EV-reducing Berries. (They are the Pomeg, Tamato, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, and Kelpsy Berries.)
5. Giving the Pokémon a massage.
6. Traveling with it behind you in Amity Square increases it at a much higher rate, but it has to be a species allowed there.

God, can someone give me advice. I have been trying for days to get a Girafarig statue in the underground for my base, and I've had no luck at all. I keep getting Poison or Dragon types. I know that it's all random, but is there a place normal type statues spawn more or something? It's driving me nuts haha.
It is entirely random. Just cross your fingers.

How can I find great Ditto? I mean like a 5-6 IV one. Just in the wild?
The PokéRadar is able to find Pokémon with maximum IVs. I believe it tops at 4, but I'm not sure. Pokémon with perfect IVs in 5 to 6 stats is not something you can easily come by, and it's never been that way.

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with happiness/friendship? They used to be two separate things. Now they seem to be combined, though I've been checking my friendship poketch app and never saw any hearts when I'd click on my Buneary. And it just evolved into Lopunny...and still has no hearts showing.

My other question is, does anyone know how to do the final "special" task the Underground Man has? He mentioned something about different colored lights when spelunking in the Grand Underground. I finally saw this happen, as I came up on someone who was digging and the sparkles were a blue/white color. There were two sparkles next to each other. I dug from the one next to the person already digging. Went up and the Underground Man isn't recognizing I did it. I went back down and found someone else digging, and this time I went to the same sparkle they were digging from. Underground Man still isn't acknowledging I did it. D:
The Pokétch app requires you to hold down a Pokémon. The hearts animations only appear during then.

When you see somebody else online digging, there will be sparkles next to them. Some of them are white, but some are subtly bluish, reddish, or greenish. I don't know if that affects what you can find though. You're probably encountering bad luck.

out of curiousity, can your player wear tem galactic uniform? it was cool you could do that in sun/moon.
No, the ones you see when you first get to Veilstone City are the only ones there are. It is possible that future DLC will make more available; they've already shown additional outfits can be made available via the Platinum early-order bonus.

Out of curiosity, since changing the time on your Switch pauses all daily events for 24 hours, does that stop your Feebas tiles from changing for the day?
Yes, it does. Anything that's time-dependent will either freeze for 24 hours or resets them back to as if you had just started. (A bit problematic when it comes to Daylight Savings...)

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Thank you for the reply, it seems large spheres are also used to expand bases later on.

Not that worried about other outfits, Dawn's normal appearance is sufficient in this game. Can't really say that about XY SM USUM Sword but they did choose only a few options in remake. Fairly certain i tried to imitate dawn's appearance in those later games.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Different Hikers in the Grand Underground trade for different things. Some of them do ask for the large spheres in exchange for their goods.

If yours has Technician, you should take advantage of it by having moves with a base power of 60 or below. Technician allows Ambipom to deal a lot of damage from moves that normally wouldn't be worth much, most notably Fake Out and Double Hit.

The ones I know are as follows:
1. Traveling with the Pokémon on your team. Every 255 staps increases it by one point.
2. Leveling up.
3. Having the Pokémon walk behind you. Talking to it will increase it further provided you don't spam it.
4. EV-reducing Berries. (They are the Pomeg, Tamato, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, and Kelpsy Berries.)
5. Giving the Pokémon a massage.
6. Traveling with it behind you in Amity Square increases it at a much higher rate, but it has to be a species allowed there.

It is entirely random. Just cross your fingers.

The PokéRadar is able to find Pokémon with maximum IVs. I believe it tops at 4, but I'm not sure. Pokémon with perfect IVs in 5 to 6 stats is not something you can easily come by, and it's never been that way.

The Pokétch app requires you to hold down a Pokémon. The hearts animations only appear during then.

When you see somebody else online digging, there will be sparkles next to them. Some of them are white, but some are subtly bluish, reddish, or greenish. I don't know if that affects what you can find though. You're probably encountering bad luck.

No, the ones you see when you first get to Veilstone City are the only ones there are. It is possible that future DLC will make more available; they've already shown additional outfits can be made available via the Platinum early-order bonus.

Yes, it does. Anything that's time-dependent will either freeze for 24 hours or resets them back to as if you had just started. (A bit problematic when it comes to Daylight Savings...)
Thank you <3

Can I find Gible in the underground before post game? If so - where?

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Thank you <3

Can I find Gible in the underground before post game? If so - where?
It can be found there but but in the Underground even the Gabite can be found but they are rare. The fastest way to find it is Wayward Cave under the cycling road. You'll need strength and defeat Byron before strength works in the field.

But remember, Wayward Cave is easier to find and far safer since the Underground is huge and even a wild Gible there can have a high level making it far more difficult to catch. At least there is no level limit/catching license restriction like in Galar Wild Area where a pokemon with the words "A strong *pokemon* appeared." and couldn't catch it.

Last edited:

Mega Gobli

The Best
Thanks for replying. I have a 5IV Ditto in PSword, that’s why I asked.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
It can be found there but even Gabite but they are rare. The fastest way to find it is wayward cave under the cycling road. You'll need strength and defeat Byron before strength works in the field.
But I want to catch in the underground cuz it has better IV and better chance for egg moves

Kingudora

My favourite
Is there any implication that scorching sands is in the game and will be pokemon be able to be transfered from sword and shield to bdsp?
Scorching Sands is unusable in BDSP (none of the IoA tutor moves are usuable in BDSP).

As for transfer to BDSP, we don't know. We likely won't know until HOME gets updated to be compatible with BDSP next year. No pokémon from Gen V or beyond have any data in BDSP.

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
What is the best way to get heart scales in these games? I found one hidden on route 215 but having a few can’t hurt

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
I'm confused. Is Phanpy exclusive to one or the other? Cause I can't for the life of me find one in the underground. I have the national dex. Is it just super rare?