• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl - HELP THREAD [Ask your questions here]

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
I'm confused. Is Phanpy exclusive to one or the other? Cause I can't for the life of me find one in the underground. I have the national dex. Is it just super rare?
According to the main site, Phanpy is not a version exclusive. It spawns after you get the National Pokédex.

Leyton

I've tried asking on a few other sites and seem to get mixed responses, so thought I should try asking here:

If you defeat or run from Palkia/Dialga during the story mode, you get another chance to encounter it after defeating the Elite Four. During my playthrough of SP, I defeated Palkia with the intention of shiny hunting Palkia during the post-game second encounter rather than spending probably multiple days putting the game on hold to try and get the shiny encounter during the first encounter. However, I don't know for certain whether or not Palkia can be shiny in the second encounter or if it's just a clone of the one that you defeated/ran from during the story mode, so my question is:

Does anyone know for certain if the post-game/second encounter can be shiny if the story/first encounter was not shiny?

All of the videos that I have seen of people catching shiny Palkia/Dialga have been during the first encounter, which is why I am wondering if it is even possible for it to be shiny during the second encounter. If there is a video of someone getting it during the post-game encounter, I would love to see it! :)

nel3

Crimson Dragon
What is the best way to get heart scales in these games? I found one hidden on route 215 but having a few can’t hurt
I found 3 when treasure hunting underground

Lt. BLEU™

Top Class Lieutenant
Okay, I’m not sure if this is a glitch or something I’m doing wrong, but: I have 2 gym badges so far and yet to have great ball in the poke mart.
How many gyms does it take for greatball/ultra ball to be available?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Okay, I’m not sure if this is a glitch or something I’m doing wrong, but: I have 2 gym badges so far and yet to have great ball in the poke mart.
How many gyms does it take for greatball/ultra ball to be available?
Both Great and Ultra Balls can be bought in the Veilstone Department Store. Great Balls can be bought at all Poké Marts after defeating Maylene, while for Ultra Balls, it’s after beating Fantina. This is information based on the original D/P, but I assume it will apply here too.

Last edited:
I've tried asking on a few other sites and seem to get mixed responses, so thought I should try asking here:

If you defeat or run from Palkia/Dialga during the story mode, you get another chance to encounter it after defeating the Elite Four. During my playthrough of SP, I defeated Palkia with the intention of shiny hunting Palkia during the post-game second encounter rather than spending probably multiple days putting the game on hold to try and get the shiny encounter during the first encounter. However, I don't know for certain whether or not Palkia can be shiny in the second encounter or if it's just a clone of the one that you defeated/ran from during the story mode, so my question is:

Does anyone know for certain if the post-game/second encounter can be shiny if the story/first encounter was not shiny?

All of the videos that I have seen of people catching shiny Palkia/Dialga have been during the first encounter, which is why I am wondering if it is even possible for it to be shiny during the second encounter. If there is a video of someone getting it during the post-game encounter, I would love to see it! :)
I'd say catch it twice and see if it has the same nature and IV's. If not, it's still randomized every encounter and can be shiny. If they are the same then it's only the first encounter that matters.

J. D. Guy

How many steps does it take (for your player character or your Pokemon) to trigger the following Pokemon to have an item to give?

In HGSS, it was like 200 steps or so, and regularly. Same in Amity Square. But outside Amity Square, I've only ever gotten 1 item from them until visiting the Square again, no matter how much I've walked.

Does anyone know what triggers the item being given by your Pokemon (outside Amity Square)?

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
But I want to catch in the underground cuz it has better IV and better chance for egg moves
In that case i recommend having a strong pokemon with like gardevoir or any other pokemon with hypnosis, yawn, or stun spore. I caught my Wayward Cave Gible with a single Quick Ball Also i think they don't spawn in Grand Underground until you at least have a Garchomp Statue in your secret base. It's not too hard to get if you are diligent enough.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
In that case i recommend having a strong pokemon with like gardevoir or any other pokemon with hypnosis, yawn, or stun spore. I caught my Wayward Cave Gible with a single Quick Ball Also i think they don't spawn in Grand Underground until you at least have a Garchomp Statue in your secret base. It's not too hard to get if you are diligent enough.
I have a Garchomp statue actually=]
But how do I find out if it summons Gible or I need X number of gyms before? I have 6 atm

Edit: Apparently u need the ice badge in order to Gible to appear in underground.

Question:
Is it true the pokemon in underground have better IV's?

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Have no idea about it. I don't even know how to determine it properly.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
What is the best way to get heart scales in these games? I found one hidden on route 215 but having a few can’t hurt
I recommend the Grand Underground. Heart Scales are a rare but infinitely spawning item found there.

Failing that, you can bring over a Pokémon with Compound Eyes and fish for Luvdisc, as they'll sometimes hold them.

How many steps does it take (for your player character or your Pokemon) to trigger the following Pokemon to have an item to give?

In HGSS, it was like 200 steps or so, and regularly. Same in Amity Square. But outside Amity Square, I've only ever gotten 1 item from them until visiting the Square again, no matter how much I've walked.

Does anyone know what triggers the item being given by your Pokemon (outside Amity Square)?
It seems to be random for me. They can find an item after a bit of traveling, or they'll fail to find an item after all day traveling around Sinnoh watering berry plants.

Torpoleon

Is the Air Balloon not in BDSP?

Golden_Arcanine

Is there a way to get the Lake trio Pokedex info without battling them?

Leyton

Is there a way to get the Lake trio Pokedex info without battling them?

Yup, just run from them during the encounter. They will disappear but will return if you complete the Elite Four again, I think. :)

Trying to complete the Pokedex, where can I find a trainer with a Lumineon to register it in my Dex?

Swimmer Miranda, the first trainer on Route 223 surfing north of Sunyshore City. :)

Pokefan_1987

Just added a Togekiss to my team. Took forever to raise happiness on a level Togepi even while holding a soothe bell. had to hunt down a LOT OF RARE CANDIES in BD Sinnoh and it took until lvl 66 to get it to evolve. Good thing shiny stone is easy to find.

I'm considering it on a elite 4 team. It has Serene Grace Dazzling Gleam Air Slash Fairy Wind need suggestion for the last moves. (Moonblast isn't in Brilliant Diamond Sinnoh)

and is Luvdisc in the game for heart scale farming?

KiritoFR

Hi guys! Can someone help me and send me a Ditto ? I need one form my eggs. Or if you want a french pokemon, tell me ! Thx

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Hi guys been trying for days to find heart scales. Does anyone have 2 spare they could give me please

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Got my own question here:

What are the known ways of getting a Pokémon with a Hidden Ability in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl? So far, there seems to be two ways to do it:
1. Getting long chains with the PokéRadar
2. Using an Ability Patch

Is there any other way to do it, like with the Pokémon found only in the Grand Underground and/or Swarms?