1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by shoz999, Jul 8, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

So it seems starting with the 20th movie, Pokemon I Choose You, the Pokemon movie franchise is slowly going to be it's own separate series from the anime, a loose adaptation of the Pokemon Anime series featuring a similar but different kind of Ash, similar to the Marvel Cinematic Universe being a loose adaptation of Marvel Comics with many noticeably similar but different takes on Marvel's properties. This is an Ash Ketchum part of a much larger and different universe that is similar but also very different from the anime. This means that there is a lot of room for speculation on how future movies could take a different spin on the old anime, movies, even entire story arcs, and new content mentioned in interviews, synopsis, and trailers. For example fans are speculating how much material is the newest movie at the time of this threads creation, Pokemon Everyone's Story, will adapt from Pokemon: The Power of One and Pokemon Johto Journeys while wondering what the new character's roles are, what is Ash doing there, and how Zeraora and Lugia fit in all to this together. Unlike Generations and Origins, this new animation and storytelling gig appears to be a more long-term project, on an yearly basis, similar to the Pokemon games, anime, and Adventures manga. With that being said, are you excited that room has been made for a new series of Pokemon animation and storytelling in a franchise dominated by the Pokemon games, Pokemon Anime, Pokemon Adventures, and even some storytelling and lore-building from Pokemon TCG.

Are you excited about the idea of a Pokemon Cinematic Universe running alongside it's gaming, anime, and adventure universes brethren?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    On a side note... just... just stop for a moment and take a look at this breathtaking art for these posters.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    KenzeyEevee likes this.
  2. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist OS>SM/XY>BW>AG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DP

Or they might just be doing this because of all the anniversary stuff that started in 2017 and they'll revert back to formula for the first Gen VIII movie.

3. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I didn't think it mattered much when the movies were considered canon with the main anime series since we hardly got references to the movies in the anime anyway, so I'm not too bothered by the change in movie formula.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  4. lolipiece

lolipiece Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No, not really. While the idea of retelling Ash's beginnings seems interesting from a first glance, it also comes at the cost of sacrificing the current anime's cast appearance in a beautifully animated movie. And no, cameos don't count.

There's also the fact that these are 90-or-so-minute movies that only come out once a year. I feel comparing it to Marvel makes little sense given that they usually put out multiple movies per year, where as once a Pokemon movie comes out, that's it until next July, as per usual.

And honestly, these movies aren't really that different from what came before.

5. Xeogran

Xeogran Well-Known Member

I think so too. The only reason Alola isn't getting movies, is because all of it's Legendary Pokemon and UBs are already incorporated into the Anime's main plot.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  6. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist OS>SM/XY>BW>AG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DP

Also this. The SM cast need to be on the big screen at least once. It'll be interesting to see if they keep SM's art style though or have another collaboration thing with an entirely different artstyle again.

7. Ignition

Ignition Dawn & Serenaare the only good PokéGirls.

Even if they do a movie with Alola's cast, what would it be centered around? The Cosmog line (minus Lunala to an extent I suppose) & Tapus have been featured in the anime, all 3 Mythicals have their own movies, and, with that one Ula'Ula episode, we can assume that Necrozma will have its arc in the anime alongside/after the UBs.

Maybe it's the new Pokemon (#808) coming with LGPE. It probably has some tie in to gen 8 like Magearna for gen 7. Well, I guess it could work

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  8. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

I have no idea what they will do with the Gen 8 movies. I feel like they may want to experiment a bit more instead of going back to the status quo. If I choose you was the only film to deviate, it would have just been self contained for the 20th anniversary. Instead they choose to do a sequel.

And really I don't see it as a big loss if the companions don't get a film. They already have three years worth of focus on them.

9. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen Well-Known Member

Cinematic Universes are great if done properly. My biggest fear is that they're not going to take advantage of the fact that this is a universe. Take for example the X-Men Film Series. Sure, it's a universe, but it is so restricted on Magneto, Charles Xavier, and Wolverine that it has a negative effect on side characters. You're building a universe. Have someone other than Ash be center stage in a different genre like supernatural thriller or take us back to medieval times on the pokeworld.

10. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

These movies beat the UB’s, legendaries and mythicals of Alola being stuffed into a generic movie plot.

11. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

Off-topic... BUT THIS ART IS JUST GORGEOUS! I'm getting serious ghibli vibes here. I hope this movie is as good at is looks. I liked the first one a lot so I can't wait what the sequel has in store! (Also I personally would keep it large. There's just a crazy amount of art detail here.)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    FlygontheRavager likes this.
  12. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Even though the SM cast theoretically getting more attention in the movies might not benefit them, I'd still rather see established cast members receive screen-time in the movies than watch one-off characters develop in them instead.

13. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the current situation with the movies is that they are doing a trilogy, like they did last decade with movies 10, 11 and 12. And personally, I think a good way to end it in the 22nd movie would be to have the alternate Ash and Pikachu fall in an Ultra Wormhole and end up in the main anime universe.

shoz999 likes this.
  14. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

You know. Honestly I really don't believe the others that Pokemon most likely will just stop after this but after you mention the trilogy movies of Diamond and Pearl, I can see that happening.

15. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

There rebooting the first Pokemon movie as the next sequel.
    [​IMG]
    And the Pokemon Cinematic Universe continues into a trilogy! Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution was just teased according to several sites. Haven't seen the second movie yet but I'm already excited for the third one. Personally I'd wanted more ghibli-style titles like "I Choose You" or "Everyone's Story". Maybe they could call it Mewtwo's Story or Mewtwo's Tale. I hope the reboot sequel is a reboot of the original Pokemon Movie released in Japan and they carry it to the English dub, not the 4Kids! dub that told a very different and flawed story from the original Japanese release. This decision to bring back Mewtwo sort of reminds me of Dragon Ball Z's Resurrection F and upcoming Broly movie, Resurrection F being pretty good. Other than that, I hope it isn't fully CGI as I hear it was going to be.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 2:15 AM
    matt0044 and FlygontheRavager like this.
  16. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Who knows maybe the Gen 8 movies will have a new protagonist. That could please both people who want Ash to stick around and those who want someone new.

17. Redstar45

Redstar45 A champion of kind heart !

No that is unlikely to be happened unless the sun and moon anime make very poor money for Pokemon company and Nintendo........i don't think that we will seeing that happening in our lifetime .