1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Cinematic Universe?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by uncutpokemon, May 10, 2019.

1. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Honestly I never want to see Ash or Red in a live action film. Both have appeared in enough media to the point they dont need to appear in any more. Personally I feel Ash isnt that great of a character or role model. His characteristics change from season to season and his knowledge regarding battles is inconsistent. He'll just have Pikachu attack it regardless of type advantage/disadvantage.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Jangobadass and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  2. Jangobadass

Jangobadass Bow before a superior pimp!

I prefer something based on the side-games.
    The main series games are too long, loose and crowded for a standard length movie, and making a movie based on Show sounds like a mess. Especially after M20& 21.
    But the side games are streamlined and more movie friendly enough to work as films, preferably stand-alones. (Plus, I'm getting tired of shared universes). The ever under-rated non-Adventures manga stories could probably work too.
    Heck, even a brand new story written just for a new movie would be nice. Certainly interesting. Though next time don't be quite as much of a mess as Detective Pikachu is (even it was a fun mess at times)

Redstar45 likes this.
  3. Storm the Lycanroc

One problem most companies have when it comes to establishing a cinematic universe is they try to hard too establish it. Meaning they spend lots of money on big actors, writers, visuals, and marketing before the first film even comes out. Look how that's worked for the Dark Universe, DCEU, and several others.

Marvel is successful because they weren't trying to establish a shared universe. Due to its source material they thought "hey we should start connecting these films." So the ideas came naturally versus being forced.

Jangobadass likes this.
  4. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

Just as long he isn’t jumping on any more couches or trying to preach about Scientology, I’m fine with that. I actually think that either Reese Witherspoon or Anne Hathaway would be a good choice for Jessie. As for James, it’s harder to picture an actor perfect for the role. Maybe Johnny Depp since he has done other character roles? I also think it’d be interesting if Tim Burton was a director of a live action Pokémon movie. His art style can easily be adapted into the Pokémon world.

5. I think that Red/Ash should remain something we don't see, limit him to only making cameos like the one at the beginning where it's not clear if that's even him. I like the idea of leaving it a mystery if Ash/Red is even a part of this universe or possibly a legend.

NO! That is a terrible idea on so many levels. If you're gonna give Cruise any roles in a Pokemon movie (which I'm not exactly keen on) have him provide the voice for a Deoxys or something.

This is true, and I think that if the PCU wants success they should take note of that by focusing on the story first, and not trying to force it onto us that this is a shared universe. One thing they could do differently from Marvel however is that if they have movies that take place in different parts of the same world, they shouldn't insist on having a movie that brings them all together just because. I think it would make for a more interesting universe if the characters don't all have to meet just for the sake of it.

6. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

Red should be played by Colin Dean (former voice of Lincoln on The Loud House)

His mother? Patricia Arquette

7. Storm the Lycanroc

But would he have any lines? I only ask since Red is a silent protagonist.

8. shoz999

shoz999 Mimi! Master of Disguise!

Ron Perlman as Giovanni. I've always thought he's the perfect and best English voice actor for Giovanni ever since I saw his voice work for Slade and how Giovanni introduced himself as a calm cool calculating mastermind in Pokemon Adventures but I think it's very possible for him to fit the live-action role too.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  9. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

I prefer a Japanese actor to play Red/Ash. He’s from Kanto after all.

Redstar45 and shoz999 like this.
  10. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ The Mischievous One

I never want to see Red or Ash in a live action movie

Jangobadass likes this.
  11. shoz999

I'm personally excited of a Red that could live up to or possible be the one from Pokemon Adventures. Red's not even the best character of Pokemon Adventures and people still think he's a badass. Personally if it were up to me though, I wouldn't just take inspiration from Pokemon Adventures but also My Hero Academia's antagonistic relationship between All Might and All for One to set up Red's antagonistic relationship with Giovanni.

12. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Another thing I want is that no anime-exclusive characters are main characters in any movie. As much as I like Ash he appears in an anime movie every year.

Perhaps anime-created characters can make cameo appearances.

The movies should focus on characters that are in the games. We can veer from strict game settings in TV extensions of the cinematic universe though.

shoz999 likes this.
  13. shoz999

I think the best movie director for a Pokemon adaptation of the Red & Blue games would easily be Chad Stahelski, the director of the John Wick movie series.

14. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

I prefer obscure game characters or characters that original to the movie than try to base a live-action version of well-known game characters. It gives a lot more freedom with the characters' appearances and personalities without angering the fanbase.

After all, the logical Hollywood path for a Red-like character is to have him be the underdog who makes big mistakes and only wins through some unorthodox method that no one else has thought of. But considering everyone trying to put Red on a pedestal as this "undefeated" badass Pokémon Master, I think it would spark an angry fan backlash if Red isn't what they envisioned.

15. Redstar45

Redstar45 The anime canon cop !

No kidding look at Satoshi fan self ? Everyone wanted a badass Satoshi.....or a flawed ash from os era or sm over top version of what everyone think how ten year old kid think or talk.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 8:14 AM
  16. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Give me the life you so tightly cling to!

I think it would be boring if he was what they envisioned. An invincible godly badass hero who just beats the daylight out of every challenge that comes his way isn't compelling and isn't interesting. A flawed character who gets humbled and humiliated and learns from the experience, growing and conquering a challenge he previously couldn't is more compelling and interesting.

Jangobadass, Shadao and Redstar45 like this.
  17. shoz999

I don't think Red's character archetype is boring. Read Pokemon Adventures RGB, the first story arc in the series featuring Red. It's not the story of Red the invincible godly badass hero but the story of how he became the invincibly godly badass hero after he realizes the painful truth that he's not the very best there ever was, he's just another trainer who has lived in Pallet Town his entire life, a tiny dot in the massive world of Pokemon and thus begins his journey to become the powerful trainer that fans know and love.

18. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

I think adaptations of the BW duology should prominently feature Pokemon rights activists.

Pokemon rights is another thing I want explored in a cinematic universe.

19. shoz999

You should definitely read Pokemon Adventures BW/BW2. It really explores Team Plasma's morals, goals and it's influence on the people through actual facial expression rather than sprite work. There's this one instance where an old man hears Team Plasma's speech and finds himself not only questioning his actions of being with his Pokemon for a long time but thinknig that he may have actually been hurting his Pokemon this whole time by just keeping them in a Pokeball. It's not just how Team Plasma affects Unova but how they evolve in BW2 into separate factions, N's faction representing the truth of a Team Plasma accepting the fact that Pokemon do indeed like being with their trainers and another which is Ghetsis's faction which represents ideals of a Team Plasma who think the best way to liberate Pokemon is to control Unova and the manga explains that this divide in Team Plasma is reflected in their very Team Plasma logo which features a shield behind the letter "P" representing truth and ideals.

Although personally I think the best route is to adapt the original Pokemon Adventures RGB in order to help build-up to later generations because one of the subjects that Pokemon Adventures RGB explores that the Gen 1 games and anime almost NEVER explores is the relationship between the Pokemon and people on a regional level and I'm not talking about in a positive way, I'm talking about in a way that people are legitimately afraid of Pokemon and think they are nothing but troublemakers due to Team Rocket's actions until Red waltz in town and reveals to the people that the Pokemon are not at fault here, that something much darker is happening nearby.

20. Shadao

Shadao Well-Known Member

The endpoint of the character development has always been the infallible, unbeatable trainer, but it has to been earned rather than given. The problem is that most fans who talk about Red act as if he was already this infallible, unbeatable trainer the moment he stepped out of his house. They talk about him being silent and super competent. They never talk about his hotheaded personality and tendency to make rookie mistakes in adaptations. Personally, I think it's because they afraid to admit that Red is much closer to Ash in terms of personality.

It might work if Pokémon just recently appeared and gradually replaced all the animals in the world. But new Pokémon games and lore stated that Pokémon have been around with mankind from the very beginning. And that's thousands of years to get used to them. People will like cute Pokémon and be suspicious of powerful ones. Just like animals.