• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Cinematic Universe?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
I really want to see a Tim Burton style Pokémon movie! He’d be perfect for the job given his visions of past interpretations such as Batman or Alice in Wonderland. The bizarre set design he uses would be perfect for a live action Ultra Space movie.

I like some of his earlier work, but I find some of his newer projects rather unexceptional. The best thing that he might be able to bring to a Pokemon movie is creative set designs since he's pretty good with visuals, but I probably wouldn't want him to direct a Pokemon movie unless he brings his A-game.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I like some of his earlier work, but I find some of his newer projects rather unexceptional. The best thing that he might be able to bring to a Pokemon movie is creative set designs since he's pretty good with visuals, but I probably wouldn't want him to direct a Pokemon movie unless he brings his A-game.
I’m more for his set designs than directing unless he give the movie a Batman-esque vibe to the story and makes the movie about Ultra Space with Guzzlord attacking and being the major threat.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

The thing about Tim Burton is that he is at his best when he is able to use practical effects.

The only Burton movie I wasn't crazy about was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Even though it was closer to the book, it's hard to top Gene Wilder.

If Burton did a Pokémon movie, there would have to be a major villain, the set pieces (aka the buildings and rooms) would have to be practical and not CG, and Danny Elfman would have to do the music of course (which would probably happen and involve a lot of 'oooooh' and 'aaaaah' chorus sounds in certain tracks). I think it's possible, but it would be a lot of work, and I don't know if he'd be interested in doing a videogame tie in movie.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Steven Spielberg should be involved in the PCU at least as producer, which would also mean the involvement of Amblin.

Spielberg is very much into video games. A Pokemon movie he could direct is a live action remake of Jirachi Wish Maker which is very Spielbergian in nature. Another Nintendo franchise he could direct adaptations of is Mother/EarthBound. He can be involved in other franchises as producer too.

NobleJanobii

The Maddest Shaymim
I think Detective Pikachu is pretty good as a stand alone movie and doesn't really need a sequel or cinematic universe.

That said, if we got more non-trainer focused movies like say on the Ranger games that expand the universe beyond trainers that could be an interesting aspect.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think I know what might help improve future live-action Pokemon movies. Instead of just only playing the games, the movie directors should watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventures. If you think about it the Pokemon games in some ways are like JoJo's Bizarre Adventures for kids. Like stands, you got Pokemon, like the multitude of descendants in JoJo, you got a story focusing on a different set of characters exploring different regions full of history, colorful art and flashy moves. This comparison can especially be seen in the Pokemon Adventures manga where it's described as a more light-hearted JoJo's Bizarre Adventures.

I think if Tim Burton is to direct a Pokemon based film (assuming he's familiar enough with Pokemon to be up for it) he should do a film that's largely about ghost Pokemon, have it be something with an eerie/creepy tone and feel. Or if they wanna do a superhero movie, have him do one called Zubatman, that would be fun.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Pokemon has superheroes in the form of Gligarman and Blaziken Mask. Those would be the subjects of movies if they went in that direction.