• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Cinematic Universe?

With Detective Pikachu off to a good start, there has been talks of more films to come that are in this universe. I'm curious to hear some ideas you might have for follow up films that take place in this world that was established here. Keep in mind that you do not need to have the idea be based on an existing video game out there, and you do not need to have it feature the same characters or even be the same genre. Only requirement is that it has to follow the rules DP established of their world. I have a few of my own, but I'd like to hear other ideas.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I've seen the Detective Pikachu movie. It's not a faithful adaptation of the game and it focuses on doing it's own thing while trying to maintain some good degree of attachment to the Pokemon series lore, kind of like Pokemon Adventures. It's because of this that I think there will be no intention to do a faithful adaptation of the Red & Blue games. It's going to do it's own take, it's own thing, a possible fourth candidate for a story-based longrunner, like how the Adventures manga tried to make logical sense out of the Red & Blue games through the adventure while the anime focused more on expanding the games into an endless world. Or possibly a fifth candidate if you count the Pocket Monsters manga.

That's what I'm thinking as well, there's no need to do a movie about the Pokemon trainers when there's plenty of other interesting people to have stories about.

shoz999

That's what I'm thinking as well, there's no need to do a movie about the Pokemon trainers when there's plenty of other interesting people to have stories about.
I'm talking about a different take on Red, Blue, Green, all those characters, the same Kanto story we've heard over and over again and beyond that. Not necessarily focusing on other different characters. Adventures Red and Ash Ketchum? Those are different takes on the character Red of the games so we should be expecting something like this in movie format, movie Red. This means we are going to get the story of Kanto retold again but in a different light.

Actually since the movie does mention that Kanto is a part of their world, I'm thinking it would make more sense to stuff that takes place in Kanto but not about Red or Ash. Maybe have a horror film either set in the Lavender tower or Cinnabar lab? I feel like doing a movie about Pokemon trainers is something that's been done plenty.

shoz999

Actually since the movie does mention that Kanto is a part of their world, I'm thinking it would make more sense to stuff that takes place in Kanto but not about Red or Ash. Maybe have a horror film either set in the Lavender tower or Cinnabar lab? I feel like doing a movie about Pokemon trainers is something that's been done plenty.
I can see the studio do some random side project of some random location from Pokemon but I feel like that's a 1 out of 100 chance of that happening. If anything I feel the Kanto storyline featuring Red is absolutely going to happen in film format because that's where the Pokemon series begins with Red and one advantage they do have over the much more widely-seen anime is that they can adapt the actual storyline more closely, albeit I expect in a more cut-corners version if there going to try to stuff it in a two hour movie, where Red notices the Viridian Gym is closed and moves on and catches Pikachu in the Viridian Forest, meet Bill, encounter ghost Marowak, infiltrate Rocket's base of operation in the Game Corner and Saffron City, explores Cinnabar Island where he discovers research of Mewtwo, challenge Giovanni and later Green (Rival) and then later decides to take a look into the rumored "Monster of Cerulean City".

Leonhart

Imagineer
If we get more movies, I'd only be interested in seeing them if they explore other games like the PMD games or even something like Pokemon Conquest. The whole Detective Pikachu angle that the new movie went for just isn't my cup of tea.

shoz999

To be honest, don't get your hopes up of a cinematic universe. I still feel like the video game movie "curse" hasn't been broken. It's proof that video game movies can work but I don't think it's broken the all too common belief that video game movies are bad. In fact I'd say it'd be more accurate that the Detective Pikachu is merely providing the stepping stones to break that video game movie "curse" completely in the same Sam Raimi's Spiderman or Tim Burton's Batman has for superhero movies.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I wouldn’t mind if Meloetta got its own live action movie musical. It is the only Mythical not to get a starring role in a movie and a musical would be perfect. Maybe use Pokémon Live as the base for the plot and songs but instead using of MechaMew2 as the main conflict, Giovanni is after Meloetta in hopes of abusing its singing abilities into making it sing songs that hypnotize listeners to join Team Rocket. And the movie doesn’t end with MechaMew2 defeating Meloetta with “the power of love” which is utterly ridiculous even for Pokémon standards and weird that a manmade robot designed for pure destructive purposes could even fully understand the concepts of love and good and evil so easily. Add some tweaks and you’ll have a modern version of the musical.

shoz999

I wouldn’t mind if Meloetta got its own live action movie musical. It is the only Mythical not to get a starring role in a movie and a musical would be perfect. Maybe use Pokémon Live as the base for the plot and songs but instead using of MechaMew2 as the main conflict, Giovanni is after Meloetta in hopes of abusing its singing abilities into making it sing songs that hypnotize listeners to join Team Rocket. And the movie doesn’t end with MechaMew2 defeating Meloetta with “the power of love” which is utterly ridiculous even for Pokémon standards and weird that a manmade robot designed for pure destructive purposes could even fully understand the concepts of love and good and evil so easily. Add some tweaks and you’ll have a modern version of the musical.
Personally I've always wanted a dance-off musical video game, similar to Persona's dancing games, featuring the cast of Pokemon Adventures because of Adventures colorful cast of characters and musicals are a fun away of adapting storylines. Can you imagine Pokemon characters dancing alongside Pokemon against some big bad villain? That would be so funny but neat at the same time. But a movie? I can kind of see it with Meloetta in Unova since that's where Pokemon Musicals were featured but I assume your not talking about dance-offs with that snappy game music right? Your talking about one of those classic musicals right? That would be intriguing to see.

Kein

AKA Silktree
We know that they're hoping for a lot of movies and are developing a Mewtwo spin-off and a Red/Blue adaptation. If I had to guess, these may a form a trilogy with Detective Pikachu, with Mewtwo as the link.

Obviously, they shouldn't take the Origins approach because the segmentation would be criticized heavily. I think they should treat Red, Blue and hopefully Green as established trainers, with some flashbacks to fill in the blanks. Just focus on Team Rocket's defeat and an enraged Mewtwo causing the collapse of Cerulean Cave and leaving Kanto. As for the spin-off, I'd be very pleased if the concept were Mewtwo looking for Mew in Guyana and discovering its role in Pokemon genealogy, as well as Mr. Fuji's reasons for creating it (which should differ from the anime story).

The bottom line is that these can movies work as long as they don't cover the same ground as the previous adaptations, and go a lot further than the games ever did.

Last edited:

shoz999

We know that they're hoping for a lot of movies and they're developing a Mewtwo spin-off and a Red/Blue adaptation. If I had to guess, these may a form a trilogy with Detective Pikachu, with Mewtwo as the link.

Obviously, they shouldn't take the Origins approach because that segmented approach would be criticized heavily. I think they should treat Red, Blue and hopefully Green as established trainers, with some flashbacks to fill in the blanks. Just focus on Team Rocket's defeat and an enraged Mewtwo causing the collapse of Cerulean Cave and leaving Kanto. As for the spin-off, I'd be very pleased if the concept were Mewtwo looking for Mew in Guyana and discovering its role in Pokemon genealogy, as well as Mr. Fuji's reasons for creating it (which should differ from the anime story).

The bottom line is that these can movies work as long as they don't cover the same ground as the previous adaptations, and go a lot further than the games ever did.
I feel like the Origins approach will happen but I do agree with you of getting criticized heavily. In Pokemon Adventures, the SM/USUM chapter is seen as the Pokemon Origins of Pokemon Adventures which is not praise, it's criticism. Personally though I feel like the right way to adapt just pretty much any video game, not just Pokemon, is to treat a single video game as seven or eight Harry Potter movies.

If they DO make a PCU, for the love of god PLEASE don't make it Kanto-based. I don't think I can take anymore pandering of the boonies.

Why must genwunners destroy any sense of innovation the franchise can do?

shoz999

If they DO make a PCU, for the love of god PLEASE don't make it Kanto-based. I don't think I can take anymore pandering of the boonies.

Why must genwunners destroy any sense of innovation the franchise can do?
I wouldn't mind if it was Kanto-based if they showed a more closer accurate depiction of Kanto from the games. Believe it or not, there are a lot of Pokemon fans who never experienced Kanto of the games and only experienced Kanto through the anime which is not accurate to the games. Maybe they can throw in the Sevii Isles while there at it.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
A cinematic universe should include television series too.

Some ideas I had are a Ranger TV series, a show set in a hospital where all patients are Pokemon, a show with investigations of crimes committed using Pokemon and a series based around the Alola Navy. All of these would be on the WarnerMedia streaming service.

shoz999

A cinematic universe should include television series too.

Some ideas I had are a Ranger TV series, a show set in a hospital where all patients are Pokemon, a show with investigations of crimes committed using Pokemon and a series based around the Alola Navy. All of these would be on the WarnerMedia streaming service.
I think it's best to have the cinematic universe and TV universe do there own thing. That will just create one huge continuity mess like Marvel and create this poor mish-mash relationship where an company like Marvel doesn't seem to have no care or interest in the TV properties and just move on without it.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm a bit more hopeful we're going to see Orre in the franchise again. If they want to continue down the noir aspect like with Detective Pikachu, Orre would make a perfect setting for the mystery of the Shadow Pokémon. Yeah, I see them making all the Mad Max references they could squeeze in, but I think it'd be an excellent choice for a movie. Plus, Miror B. and his Ludicolo.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
PMD and Poke Park movies can be animated movies done in conjunction with Warner Animation Group.

shoz999

I'm a bit more hopeful we're going to see Orre in the franchise again. If they want to continue down the noir aspect like with Detective Pikachu, Orre would make a perfect setting for the mystery of the Shadow Pokémon. Yeah, I see them making all the Mad Max references they could squeeze in, but I think it'd be an excellent choice for a movie. Plus, Miror B. and his Ludicolo.
You know. I can actually see that happening because Orre is based on Arizona in the USA.