• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Before we go with the discussion, here are a few questions for you to choose personally. No wrong answers.

a. Who is a better Fire-flying type?
Charizard or Ho-oh

b. Who is better with the ability Skill Link?
Cinccino or Cloyster

c. Who is a better Parahax flincher?
Togekiss or Jirachi

d. Who is a better Sheer Force user?
Nidoking or Darmanitan

e. Who is better with the ability Speed Boost?
Sharpedo or Yanmega

f. Who is the bulkier dragon type?
Altaria or Dragonite

g. Who is a better Dragon-Water type?
Kingdra or Palkia

h. Who is the most feared of the Muskateer trio?
Cobalion, or Virizion, or Terrakion, or Keldeo

i. Who is a better user of the ability Technician?
Ambipom or Scizor or Breloom

j. Which duo is a better pokemon on being an impenetrable defensive core in double // single battles?

Skarmory and Blissey, or Ferrothorn and Jellicent

If you answered all 10 questions, good for you. But now I want you guys to share to all of us about the challenges, risks, and burdens of using lower rank pokemon on the higher Tiers, specifically OU (overused) and Ubers.

a. Why do most players of the OU and Ubers, or at times UU, do not want to use their in-game favorite pokemon in the Competitive field of pokemon? And what encourages those few casual (ignorant on competitive standards) / semi competitive players (mindful on competitive standards while clinging to their childhood favorites) to bring their treasured pokemon to the higher tiers knowing that it will loose from the get go before it even does its job (or on some cases, they made their favorites competitive quality)?

b. Are most (majority but not all) competitive pokemon (who are only mindful of winning instead of enjoying a battle for fun, with a few and rare exceptions) players you met/fought insult their opponent if the opponent has a pokemon "that sucks!!!" in the OU realm and say "don't use your wimpy pokemon x! use badass pokemon y!"? How harmful is this to certain players (specifically, anti-smogon players and casual players)?

c. Does a team full of NU pokemon automatically lose to a team full of OU pokemon? Why do certain people hate using low class pokemon (NU and RU) and only praise high class pokemon (OU in general)? Is the competitive society of pokemon sometimes act like racists when it comes to which pokemon does it better?

There goes a saying that "while your pokemon has a role, another pokemon does it better." Does that mean that you must disregard the pokemon you have and use the better one you do not like instead, especially if your goal is to win? What if you are not the player who is only here for fun? Or for those who wanted to win only with their treasured favorite pokemon?

Example:

Non competitive NU Team player

Cinccino, Gardevoir, Walrein, Camerupt, Butterfree, Serperior

VS.

Competitive OU Team player

Latios, Politoed, Ferrothorn, Dragonite, Jirachi, Terrakion​

I bet you know that the NU team has only 20% chance of winning. But does that mean that as a competitive player yourself, you must never bring a team full of NU or low class pokemon in Ubers and Overused?

So which kind of victory is more triumphant for you? Winning with a team full of low class pokemon? Or full of high class pokemon?

It is giong to be interesting for me to find out about your answers. Just curious

a. Why do most players of the OU and Ubers, or at times UU, do not want to use their in-game favorite pokemon in the Competitive field of pokemon? And what encourages those few casual (ignorant on competitive standards) / semi competitive players (mindful on competitive standards while clinging to their childhood favorites) to bring their treasured pokemon to the higher tiers knowing that it will loose from the get go before it even does its job (or on some cases, they made their favorites competitive quality)?

This begs the question, though: do most players of OU and Ubers neglect their in-game favorites? Sometimes, some of their favorites might be perfectly viable Pokemon that those people do use. I know many players (myself included) that love to use some of their favorites for the heck of it, regardless of their tiering. However, if a player is being truly competitive, they will use the Pokemon that best fits the job they need done regardless of favoritism. Many players will use whatever Pokemon they like while they're goofing off on the ladder, but that sort of thinking has no place if you're trying to win a serious tournament or something.

b. Are most (majority but not all) competitive pokemon (who are only mindful of winning instead of enjoying a battle for fun, with a few and rare exceptions) players you met/fought insult their opponent if the opponent has a pokemon "that sucks!!!" in the OU realm and say "don't use your wimpy pokemon x! use badass pokemon y!"? How harmful is this to certain players (specifically, anti-smogon players and casual players)?

This also begs another question: how do those players define fun? Some might find that battling to win is fun to them (in fact, I'd wager that most do), but I digress. I rarely ever see someone insult another player for using a certain Pokemon. The only time a Pokemon has ever been bashed from what I've seen is when someone tries to hype it to something greater than it actually is, which happens more often in discussions rather than actual battles. As far as the harm it does to other players, it really shouldn't do any harm to them. If they are using a favorite Pokemon for the heck of it, regardless of competitive viability, then they shouldn't really be bothered when someone else makes a comment about competitive viability.

c. Does a team full of NU pokemon automatically lose to a team full of OU pokemon? Why do certain people hate using low class pokemon (NU and RU) and only praise high class pokemon (OU in general)?

No, there's no such thing as an auto-win in Pokemon. Between hax, bad predictions, and whatever else could go wrong, there are far too many factors that can shift a game one way or another. However, the reason that people hype the OU Pokemon is that, frankly, they deserve it. Those OU Pokemon are overused for a reason, and that reason is that they perform a specific niche in the OU metagame that makes them a noteworthy Pokemon. If an NU or RU Pokemon can do that, then no one will bother someone about it. However, if you are using a Pokemon like Sawk when Mienshao might be able to pull off everything it can do better, then there is no reason to praise that.

Is the competitive society of pokemon sometimes act like racists when it comes to which pokemon does it better?

Comparing competitive players to racists implies that all Pokemon are equal but different, but that's simply not true. Racists discriminate based on looks, which means nothing in terms of a person's value. Competitive players, on the other hand, base their opinions on competitive value instead of looks, which can actually be measured and will matter in a battle. In that way, the casual players who base their opinions on looks are more similar to racists than the competitive players.

There goes a saying that "while your pokemon has a role, another pokemon does it better." Does that mean that you must disregard the pokemon you have and use the better one you do not like instead, especially if your goal is to win?

If your goal is to win (i.e. you're being "competitive"), then you should only base your teams around what performs the best in the metagame. Casual ladder matches with favorites that may have no competitive niche is fine. I'm sure most players have done that at least once before. But serious battles do not call for outclassed favorites, but for Pokemon with real niches.

What if you are not the player who is only here for fun? Or for those who wanted to win only with their treasured favorite pokemon?

The thing is, most players do play (at least in part) for fun. Winning and coming up with the best strategies for winning is fun to many people. But if your goal is to play with your favorite Pokemon then you're not being truly competitive.

I bet you know that the NU team has only 20% chance of winning. But does that mean that as a competitive player yourself, you must never bring a team full of NU or low class pokemon in Ubers and Overused?

Ah, but in this case, you wonder why the first player is using his NU team in OU? If that were the list of that player's favorite Pokemon, then he could just use his team in NU and actually have a somewhat solid team instead of using it in OU and being heavily outclassed. There's a difference between trying to win with your favorites and committing competitive suicide.

So which kind of victory is more triumphant for you? Winning with a team full of low class pokemon? Or full of high class pokemon?

For me, no victory is really more triumphant than another. I personally get lots of satisfaction out of sweeping late game with a Growth Sunkern in the Sun, but I also love the feeling when you put together a fairly standard strategy and the whole thing comes together. As far as which Pokemon I prefer, it depends on the context. Most of my teams that I've made lately have been based around abusing underused Pokemon or weird gimmicks. Playing around with strange stuff is something that I enjoy, although sometimes I'll just put together a standard team just to play with a team in more familiar territory. If I'm playing in something a bit more serious, such as a tournament, then I'll usually go for the most viable available Pokemon, whether it be standard OU or some alternative metagame like Balanced Hackmons.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
This begs the question, though: do most players of OU and Ubers neglect their in-game favorites? Sometimes, some of their favorites might be perfectly viable Pokemon that those people do use. I know many players (myself included) that love to use some of their favorites for the heck of it, regardless of their tiering. However, if a player is being truly competitive, they will use the Pokemon that best fits the job they need done regardless of favoritism. Many players will use whatever Pokemon they like while they're goofing off on the ladder, but that sort of thinking has no place if you're trying to win a serious tournament or something.

This also begs another question: how do those players define fun? Some might find that battling to win is fun to them (in fact, I'd wager that most do), but I digress. I rarely ever see someone insult another player for using a certain Pokemon. The only time a Pokemon has ever been bashed from what I've seen is when someone tries to hype it to something greater than it actually is, which happens more often in discussions rather than actual battles. As far as the harm it does to other players, it really shouldn't do any harm to them. If they are using a favorite Pokemon for the heck of it, regardless of competitive viability, then they shouldn't really be bothered when someone else makes a comment about competitive viability.

No, there's no such thing as an auto-win in Pokemon. Between hax, bad predictions, and whatever else could go wrong, there are far too many factors that can shift a game one way or another. However, the reason that people hype the OU Pokemon is that, frankly, they deserve it. Those OU Pokemon are overused for a reason, and that reason is that they perform a specific niche in the OU metagame that makes them a noteworthy Pokemon. If an NU or RU Pokemon can do that, then no one will bother someone about it. However, if you are using a Pokemon like Sawk when Mienshao might be able to pull off everything it can do better, then there is no reason to praise that.

Comparing competitive players to racists implies that all Pokemon are equal but different, but that's simply not true. Racists discriminate based on looks, which means nothing in terms of a person's value. Competitive players, on the other hand, base their opinions on competitive value instead of looks, which can actually be measured and will matter in a battle. In that way, the casual players who base their opinions on looks are more similar to racists than the competitive players.

If your goal is to win (i.e. you're being "competitive"), then you should only base your teams around what performs the best in the metagame. Casual ladder matches with favorites that may have no competitive niche is fine. I'm sure most players have done that at least once before. But serious battles do not call for outclassed favorites, but for Pokemon with real niches.

The thing is, most players do play (at least in part) for fun. Winning and coming up with the best strategies for winning is fun to many people. But if your goal is to play with your favorite Pokemon then you're not being truly competitive.

For me, no victory is really more triumphant than another. I personally get lots of satisfaction out of sweeping late game with a Growth Sunkern in the Sun, but I also love the feeling when you put together a fairly standard strategy and the whole thing comes together. As far as which Pokemon I prefer, it depends on the context. Most of my teams that I've made lately have been based around abusing underused Pokemon or weird gimmicks. Playing around with strange stuff is something that I enjoy, although sometimes I'll just put together a standard team just to play with a team in more familiar territory. If I'm playing in something a bit more serious, such as a tournament, then I'll usually go for the most viable available Pokemon, whether it be standard OU or some alternative metagame like Balanced Hackmons.

Thanks for that.

It seems from what I got, I may sense that certain casual player are easily hurt when a competitive player tells casual player to use a pokemon they dislike for better performance despite showing actual analysis of its best performance.

Ah, but in this case, you wonder why the first player is using his NU team in OU? If that were the list of that player's favorite Pokemon, then he could just use his team in NU and actually have a somewhat solid team instead of using it in OU and being heavily outclassed. There's a difference between trying to win with your favorites and committing competitive suicide.

Wow! Really, committing competitive suicide. That's harsh. But I bet you know that it is STILL possible to win at OU with a team of personal favorites like the example. Just EXTREMELY DIFFICULT. I bet that's what you wanted to share. I bet you learned that from your early experiences I bet. Maybe you were just like me as well. I'm only recent to it 5 months ago. but Now I learned a bit more.

So, thanks. you gave me a nice moral for my novel to be added. But I think the reason I added this story was because of that Pokemon Fanfic in here about a girl hating the attitudes of the pokemon competitive society.

Lulamoon

Cheese for everyone!
a. Why do most players of the OU and Ubers, or at times UU, do not want to use their in-game favorite pokemon in the Competitive field of pokemon? And what encourages those few casual (ignorant on competitive standards) / semi competitive players (mindful on competitive standards while clinging to their childhood favorites) to bring their treasured pokemon to the higher tiers knowing that it will lose from the get go before it even does its job (or on some cases, they made their favorites competitive quality)?
Although I have one for competitive battles, I am not going to use a Beedrill in an OU match. It wouldn't get the job done at all. Heck, I'm surprised it can do much of anything.
I do use Cradily, an NU Pokémon, on an OU team, and it works quite well. When I actually get a chance to use him, that is.
Some of my favorites, such as Glaceon, I either have or am planning to get for competitive battles. I'll put them on whatever team they fit the role for, regardless of the tier (unless, of course, they're banned in that tier).

I don't know how casual players think. Perhaps they think any Pokémon can do well in any situation? I do know that using non-standard Pokémon can catch the opponent off guard, giving it an advantage. That advantage alone could, usually doesn't, work well enough to win.

I've never seen that happen. I have questioned the Pokémon my opponent uses, only to have it answer in my defeat.
For instance, someone I know uses Golbat in VGC battles (I like to call it Trolbat). It is, of course, holding an Eviolite. Super Fang does a lot of damage against bulky foes, can use Roost to heal, and then Haze to support his Latios when it uses Draco Meteor. A Latios that doesn't lower its special attack after using Draco Meteor is not fun to battle against.

c. Does a team full of NU pokemon automatically lose to a team full of OU pokemon? Why do certain people hate using low class pokemon (NU and RU) and only praise high class pokemon (OU in general)? Is the competitive society of pokemon sometimes act like racists when it comes to which pokemon does it better?
Of course not! I have never used all NU or UU Pokémon in an OU match, but I have, and do, use several on my teams. I'm not sure if I've ever made a team that had all OU Pokémon. It's quite possible that all of my teams have had at least one NU, though I'm not entire sure.
Some might see the best as being exactly that, while thinking the same of the worst. Numerous times I have seen lower tier Pokémon be the most valuable in a battle, regardless of the outcome of the battle. My friend likes to use Liepard, and he uses it surprisingly well. I've only seen it fail him once.
Sometimes society is "racist" when it comes to Pokémon. In fourth gen, I believe, Smogon said that Tyranitar makes use of a set it never uses better than a set Umbreon always uses, and Umbreon should always use a set I have never seen used. Makes perfect sense to me.

There goes a saying that "while your pokemon has a role, another pokemon does it better." Does that mean that you must disregard the pokemon you have and use the better one you do not like instead, especially if your goal is to win? What if you are not the player who is only here for fun? Or for those who wanted to win only with their treasured favorite pokemon?
One Pokémon always outclasses another, but the "weaker" Pokémon might have a niche to make it the better choice. Take the Umbreon and Tyranitar in my previous example. Tyranitar is stronger and bulkier, but Umbreon isn't as weak to Fighting attacks as the Tyranitar is. Umbreon also doesn't have Sand Stream to potentially hinder your team.
Heck, I've never even used Tyranitar before. If I want a sandstorm up, I give that job to my Hippowdon. He does his job quite well.

Of course not. Just as Ice Beam might freeze the opponent, an NU team might win. Unlikely, but possible. If you're aiming to win, it isn't a good idea, but if you're simply trying to have fun, you should use whatever Pokémon you want. If you think it's fun to use a Jigglypuff in OU, use a Jigglypuff. If you think its fun to only use OU Pokémon, use them. The tier of your favorite Pokémon should not interfere with your enjoyment of the game. Tiers are there to make battles more fair. Even if my opponent highly enjoys using Mewtwo or Arceus, I don't want to battle them.

Winning with Pokémon that are deemed "weak" to others is far more rewarding than winning with "the best." If you use what everyone else is using, you are simple average. But, if you use what no one else uses, you are unique. Doing well like that is victory by itself. Actually winning the battle is even better.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I don't feel like answering everything

People don't use their favorite mons most of the time because the mon isn't viable or they don't have the skill to build a team around that mon to make it viable. I wouldn't say that those that use their favorites are the casual few. Oftentimes someone will be looking for a niche for a Pokemon and sometimes a Pokemon will jump from nu to ou. Also those mons won't necessarily lose from the get go. I use to base teams around one or two nu pokes just to see how high I could ladder with those teams.

Lol, I've never seen that, most of the time it's; "wait, he can do that?!?"

Obviously people are more inclined to picking mons who are more likely to win. However a team of NU mons could beat a team of OU mons with the right trainer (even if the ou trainer knows what he is doing). I once made a team of 5 uu mons and 1 ou (which was meta gross, so really 6 uu level mons) and I was still fairly successful. Tiering isn't based on how strong a mon is, it's done by what's used the most. How good things are definitely affects how much it's used but it doesn't determine what tier it is.

Utopian

faults & feats
Charizard or Ho-oh

Cinccino or Cloyster

Togekiss or Jirachi

Nidoking or Darmanitan

Sharpedo or Yanmega

Altaria or Dragonite

Kingdra or Palkia

j. Which duo is a better pokemon on being an impenetrable defensive core in double // single battles?

Cherche

Banned
Before we go with the discussion, here are a few questions for you to choose personally. No wrong answers.

Charizard or Ho-oh

Cinccino or Cloyster

Togekiss or Jirachi

Nidoking or Darmanitan

Sharpedo or Yanmega

Altaria or Dragonite

Kingdra or Palkia

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Charizard or Ho-oh

Cinccino or Cloyster

Togekiss or Jirachi

Nidoking or Darmanitan

Sharpedo or Yanmega

Altaria or Dragonite

Kingdra or Palkia

Charizard or Ho-oh

Cinccino or Cloyster

Togekiss or Jirachi

Nidoking or Darmanitan

Sharpedo or Yanmega

Altaria or Dragonite

Kingdra or Palkia

Ain't you two holding any answers to the other questions I posted? Just curious. Maybe you two forgot these questions?

If you answered all 10 questions, good for you. But now I want you guys to share to all of us about the challenges, risks, and burdens of using lower rank pokemon on the higher Tiers, specifically OU (overused) and Ubers.

Example:

Non competitive NU Team player

Cinccino, Gardevoir, Walrein, Camerupt, Butterfree, Serperior

VS.

Competitive OU Team player

Latios, Politoed, Ferrothorn, Dragonite, Jirachi, Terrakion

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
You all covered this so I'll just leave this here, if this is what were discussing:

It's just that some Pokemon can't perform niches unlike other Pokemon. Admit it, a Cryoganol is never gonna beat a Scizor one-on-one with offensive strength, it has other uses like Rapid Spinning but offensive Cryoganol can be done with a Kyurem.

Latias_

Passive voice
Charizard or Ho-oh

Shellder

Tentacool

Krabby

Yanma

Bagon

Gyarados

Iranian

Ferrothorn and Forretress

OrbrunnerX

That Guy

Charizard or Ho-oh

Cinccino or Cloyster

Togekiss or Jirachi

Nidoking or Darmanitan

Sharpedo or Yanmega

Altaria or Dragonite

Kingdra or Palkia

Keldeo / Terrakion - it depends on your team. Sun has a harder time vs. Terrakion; Keldeo eats rain.

Zachmac

I've been watching this thread for a while, and I don't really have much to say that hasn't been said, but I do have on thing.

It's not about which pokemon is better, but which pokemon is better on your team in specific? I've used Zoroark to counter Skarmories more effectively then I could with a Magnezone in a balanced team while carrying STAB sucker punch, but in my HO dragon team, I wouldn't even consider replacing Magnezone with Zoroark.
Gyarados
This is the best answer I've seen yet.

Blue Cobra

Bug Trainer
The way I see it is that you can't judge a pokemon just by looking at its class.
Just because a pokemon is classified as a NU pokemon doesn't make it bad in my eyes, since I don't judge a pokemon from the entire competitive world's point of view, but from the NU tiers point of view, which means that a NU pokemon would probably be outclassed most of the time, if used in OU, but in its own tier, NU, it really has a chance to shine, since the other Pokemon in NU is on the same level, and therefore is more equal.

Sometimes, it can actually be a good idea to choose an UU Pokemon to an OU team, since it perhaps can fit better into the team and still do its job well, so I don't think that the tiers is that much black and white.

Its like in sports. You can't say that a tennis player, or football player is bad, just because they aren't proffesionals. They can still be good if you see it from their respective levels, instead of just compare them to the best players in the world.

Darkendra

Leader of Dark Shade
Simple answers to easy questions.
A.) Charizard
B.) Cinccino
C.) Jirachi

Personally because I have an EV Trained Jirachi with Iron Head and also a Choice Scarf as a Held Item.
First time I ever stood a good chance against some random players.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
Necrobump so closing

Status
Not open for further replies.