• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon conflicts with the Anime VS. Games

VIA

<<< Recent Shiny
Ive been watching some of the Pokemon movies mainly the first one and I noticed that the story of Mewtwo in Red and Blue VS. the first movie is somewhat different and the games are much more darker. I also noticed that in Movie 14 they had all this dragon aura stuff that is never mentioned in the game at all and the story behind Kyurem and Resh/Rom is completely different. Same goes for Deoxys. I was wondering if maybe the anime and the games take place in different universes with different backstorys or Nintedo just markets the anime towards kids with no dark tales like in the game.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
The target age of the games isn't wild different to that of the anime, really. That said, the anime - like a lot of adaptations - does tend to improvise and come up with their own stories for things using elements that aren't in the games. You can think of it as an alternate universe if you like.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
If the Anime was based solely off the games with no fillers there wouldn't be enough episodes for even the first season of each saga. You wouldn't want to keep watching a bunch of re-runs would ya?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Anime =/= Games

They are two separate canons, so there's bound to be differences between the two.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
They add stuff to the Anime to be more exciting. There wouldn't be enough things in the games to make interesting anime season for a whole region.

randomspot555

The general game takes the average player 20-40 hours to finish, from getting your dex in your hometown to defeating the Champion.

The anime has to fill 2-4 years of episodes per generation. And might take some creative differences

Just like any medium where it is based off of another, they'll adapt. That doesn't mean copy/paste. It just means the core stays the same, but the details might be a bit different.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
^ This is understandable if look from the view of the entertainment market.

However, The point is the anime don't consider the original Pokemon descriptions first placed in the game's Pokedex into their making of each episode.

For example, in the banned episode that features Porygon, the virtual Pokemon exist emotion, despite that the original design said that it has no emotion and can only do what is had been programmed.
In the 10th movie, Dialga and Palkia were fighting because their "world" was colliding due to Arceus' awakening. However, according to the original design, Dialga and Palkia is an existential pair, therefore there shouldn't exist any reason to fight between the two. Also the idea of the two live in two different worlds is already strange, because they are supposed to be the deity of the same world.

So, I somehow agree with VIA, that the ideas of the Pokemon in the anime were conflicting (or contradicting in a more accurate sense) with the original designs, where the "original design" were always explained in the game's Pokedex.

randomspot555

You're getting hung up on minutiae.

The point of the anime is to basically animate the world of Pokemon. That's really the only structure. They take the games, and loosely, adapt it to an animated form.

Sometimes they rigidly stick to the structure provided by the games. The Team Galactic plot pretty much straight up adapts the D/P/Plat Galactic plot almost exactly.

Contrast that with Gen I/II, where Team Rocket's plot in Kanto and Johto was NOTHING like it was in the games.

PsiOmega

An old soul
The anime has more plot, to make things more interesting. The game has less plot, to make room for gameplay. So yeah, there are gonna be differences.

the anime is complement for the games, all of us that have being watching the show since forever had already notice that the anime is just to showcase the new gen pokés and to give personalities to each of them, we know that certain pokémon are dangerous to deal with (Tyranitar-Mother of all battles) or we know that Lapras are peaceful pokés -Viva Las Lapras- or some pokés are to proud to follow orders from wimpy pathetic ten year old trainers -Charmeleon/Charizard-, no that all pokés from the same species behave the same way but it gives an idea of how their behavior would be.... and of course attracts a larger audience than just the games

anyother way they would just be pixelated images on the screen of your DS

StarzDragonite

Recognize Greatness
The anime will pretty much say whatever it needs in order to create a plot that is interesting. Honestly if the anime was exactly like the game in every single category..the anime would be extremely boring lol

randomspot555

In one episode with Exeggcutor, they said that Hypnosis causes Confusion. That same episode, an exeggcute evolves without a Leaf Stone.

Again, minor details.

(Aslo they explain that pieces of the Leaf Stone, in that episode, are carried through the air)

Kacho

You are next.
to OP:
are you serious?
obviously the anime MOVIE is darker than the anime series and the game.
I mean, occasionally the anime series gets some sad goodbyes...
but the game? your main character does not deal with death like Latios dying or petrified by Mewtwo's psychic power.

Again, minor details.

(Aslo they explain that pieces of the Leaf Stone, in that episode, are carried through the air)

another episode has bunch of gloom evolving into Bellosum and Vileplume with leaf and sun stone fragments in air
another episode has clefairy evolving into cleffable with moon stone fragments

really, with stone fragments in the air like that, your pokemon outside of pokeball can just evolve OUT OF THE BLUE.
those evil winds.

xDWarrior

inb4allthepeoplesayanime=/=games

But yeah, the anime just has to add in a bunch of stuff because the games don't provide enough info for a full television show. It is annoying when they contradict each other though..

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Anime = Pikachu killing Golem, Rhydon, Excadrill, etc. with an electric move = commonplace
Game = Pikachu killing Golem, Rhydon, Excadrill, etc. with an electric move = cheating!

...I can't say I watch the anime much, and this is one of the reasons why.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
One thing I have noticed, is how Pokemon learn moves far too early in the Anime as in the games