• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon could have been WAY better if it wasn't marketed toward children

What do you think?

• It could have been better if it was marketed toward an older age group

Votes: 231 49.8%
  • It's fine just the way it is.

Votes: 233 50.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porygandrew

I think the difference between the two versions of what the anime could be would be like the difference of Zoids: New Century Zero being like the current anime and Zoids: Chaotic Century being the darker/more mature version.

yappy25

IM LEAVING
i love to play pokemon, my only problem with it is that im in the 8th grade and if any1 found out i would be humiliated, and kicked out of the popular kids' group.

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
What I really want to see is a Pokemon fighting game. Something like a 3D fighting game. Use button combos to activate attacks and such and such. If anybody played Gunz, I want to see something fast pace like that.

bombert

all true! and if it was mass marketed to adults, where would we adults go to argue with each other about things like this?

but you have to consider gamefreak knows it has a lot of veteran pokefans, which contribute a huge portion of money to the pot. i know i feel like i do and im not a kid anymore... physically

Foo Fighter

Nostalgia is my pal
Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of Pokemon, gave an interview to Time Asia magazine. He says he was very specific in making sure Pokemon "faint" and not "die." He says gamer phrases such as "Aw, I just died" trivialize death, and he didn't want that in the games.

That was said 10+ years ago.

Basically, you're looking at the wrong franchise. You're expecting something that
Pokemon never will and never was meant to be.
Thats not what this is about though. The thread is abou would it have been better. And I think yes, there really isn't that much reason to go off topic. I don't know how we did in the first place. Better to me does not equal more money for the franchise and suitable for children. EVEN if thats what it means to the developers of the game.
It doesn't matter how much..."butt" it kicked. It was absolutely horrible in production and, if you're actually watching the movie rather than just going WHOOO STUFF BLOWS UP!!! and then drink Moutain Dew, lets just say it's a very hard movie to sit through.

Seriously, if you're definition of "mature" is blood, explosions, and death, there's no shortage of franchises with needless violence. But you're completely delusional if you thought Pokemon was ever going to be one of them, or should be one of them.
Ok, maybe it was a hyperbole, but don't be so serious about it. I wasn't saying it in a "IN YOUR FACE *****" attitude. (By thhe way I did actually drink mountain dew whilst watching this movie. I also remember me yelling "Woow!!" a couple o' times, of course I was little.)
And I don't care if you think I'm delussional about it becoming mature. That isn't what this is about. Its about would the series have been better as a more mature franchise.
It would have been better. I don't need to be taught the meaniing of friendship, I already know it. I have friends, who doesn't it? Any parents letting kids get their morals from a T.V. show are irresponsible. I just think that maybe without all the life lessons and child friendly material that pokemon would be much better.

randomspot555

Thats not what this is about though. The thread is abou would it have been better. And I think yes, there really isn't that much reason to go off topic. I don't know how we did in the first place. Better to me does not equal more money for the franchise and suitable for children. EVEN if thats what it means to the developers of the game.

Well I don't see any discussion being off topic, but not really for me to decide. But regardless of what success the franchise would or would not have, I'm fairly certain that it wouldn't be better in terms of quality. It just doesn't compute with what Pokemon is, and makes it into something entirely different. And why make Pokemon into something entirely different? Rather, try something else out.

It would have been better. I don't need to be taught the meaniing of friendship, I already know it. I have friends, who doesn't it? Any parents letting kids get their morals from a T.V. show are irresponsible. I just think that maybe without all the life lessons and child friendly material that pokemon would be much better.

I'm not saying the franchise can't be improved. But in terms of maturity, I don't see it as adding anything if they add blood or death or realistic injuries or any of that sorts. I also don't really count that as "mature." I see maturity as more advanced plots, character development, etc... something that Pokemon sorely lacks. At the same time, I know I'm playing/watching something meant for children, and I'm able to judge it as-is rather than what I want it to be. I see it as an escape to the violent games and long-term character development shows I'm accustomed to, and if I want those, I'd go and play/watch them. But if I want something simple and to the basics, I'll watch/play Pokemon.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Pokemon won't improve with blood, death, and explosions. Well, we already have explosions; just watch the attack animation.

But really, the theme of Pokemon is to go on a grand adventure, make friends, battle people, and enjoy it. Battling is like a sport, but the games are so much more than just that.

Compare it to a football video game. Would it really be better entertainment if you killed people in it? Unless you find enjoyment in the death of people, it wouldn't be any better. Deaths and blood in Pokemon would just taint the carefree simplicity that makes the series what it is.

Oh, and more money does mean better, because if you're getting more money, that means more people think it's worth buying. And more people thinking it's worth buying=better.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqBW0FdJZ0&feature=channel_page

Watch the above video and wait for the reviewer to start talking about a show called "SONIC: THE HEDGEHOG" and listen to his comments carefully.
Basically Pokemon as an anime would be far more successful if it took itself a bit more seriously like the aforementioned series.

Hell even Transformers Animated is more mature...

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJqBW0FdJZ0&feature=channel_page

Watch the above video and wait for the reviewer to start talking about a show called "SONIC: THE HEDGEHOG" and listen to his comments carefully.
Basically Pokemon as an anime would be far more successful if it took itself a bit more seriously like the aforementioned series.

Hell even Transformers Animated is more mature...

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
Obviously we all would like it more if it was directed at our age group; this has been general knowledge for many years now. However, I discovered Pokémon when I was just a young child, and I have to say, I'm much more thankful for the joy it brought me as a child than I would ever be for giving me a way to waste time as a teenager. It wouldn't really be possible to really make Pokémon seem more mature without it looking a little stupid; let's face it, when it's directed at little kids, it sells, and I think they deserve to enjoy it as much as we do.

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Jetx, I whole-heartedly agree.

And the anime is just the epitome of fail. It's only real purpose anymore is to introduce pokemon to new fans. It definitely isn't meant to be quality entertainment.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Well, more popular Japanese stuff is aimed for teens, you know how they get carried away with their vulgarity. Personaly, I am okay with it being for kids, the only problem with such is my parents buging me about it. Besides, it suits the theme.

quotes that can be used:

"Blood would makes things more realistic, but I have played some more mature games that did not use blood. Gawd, Alice and Ducus' deaths were so unrealistic!"

"Are you stating we should give them big.....*slap*"

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Well, the anime is successful at doing what it's meant to do; entertaining young children. That doesn't mean it's not poorly written and doesn't lack substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.